Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #721 of 1176 Old 07-01-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Moncrief View Post
Well I found out the problem. I connected A/V cables from one unit to the other and when I started to record a message was displayed that said "this program is not allowed to be recorded". What ended up getting recorded after that was a blank screen. I'm still wondering why it allowed me to record it to the HDD recorder in the first place.
Some cable stuff is "copy once" - on the old machines the thumbnail displayed a different icon. I assume the "once" could be directly to DVD rather than HDD but I never tried it. On my TWC cable some on-demand shows are copy-once until the 4th day after airing...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1176 Old 07-01-2017, 07:56 PM
ALP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Moncrief View Post
Well I found out the problem. I connected A/V cables from one unit to the other and when I started to record a message was displayed that said "this program is not allowed to be recorded". What ended up getting recorded after that was a blank screen. I'm still wondering why it allowed me to record it to the HDD recorder in the first place.
What was the program and did you record it on the HDD from cable or OTA?

Tony Plachy
post #723 of 1176 Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It is a British show from Canadian satellite TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1176 Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Disappointed Magnavox MDR867H owner..

It took me a long time to be able to afford one of these devices,since I am on a fixed income,and the approximate $400 price they command is a lot for me....I bought this unit mostly to time shift classic tv shows on from my local affiliate and record them to DVD after editing out the mind numbing commercials we are forced to endure in today`s world..Well,after owning this machine for a couple of months now,I cannot figure out a way to edit out the commercials,and I am normally a pretty tech savvy person....I have watched the videos online that show in great detail how to edit out commercials on the older generation models,but they refer to menus and buttons that are non-existent on this model..I`m sure there is a way to do this,but I am so frustrated trying to find it....and another thing,Funai should be ashamed of this "owner`s manual"...I know they are a company selling these in numerous markets,but they need to no.1...Go into MORE DETAIL on how to operate these devices they are getting $400 and more for,and no.2...Make the print LARGER and quit trying to print them in half a dozen languages...I am 65 years old and my eyes aren`t what they once were....Rant over....Thank You.
post #725 of 1176 Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJin40517 View Post
It took me a long time to be able to afford one of these devices,since I am on a fixed income,and the approximate $400 price they command is a lot for me....I bought this unit mostly to time shift classic tv shows on from my local affiliate and record them to DVD after editing out the mind numbing commercials we are forced to endure in today`s world..Well,after owning this machine for a couple of months now,I cannot figure out a way to edit out the commercials,and I am normally a pretty tech savvy person....I have watched the videos online that show in great detail how to edit out commercials on the older generation models,but they refer to menus and buttons that are non-existent on this model..I`m sure there is a way to do this,but I am so frustrated trying to find it....and another thing,Funai should be ashamed of this "owner`s manual"...I know they are a company selling these in numerous markets,but they need to no.1...Go into MORE DETAIL on how to operate these devices they are getting $400 and more for,and no.2...Make the print LARGER and quit trying to print them in half a dozen languages...I am 65 years old and my eyes aren`t what they once were....Rant over....Thank You.
I don't have one of the new models, but I thought editing was just a matter of dividing chapters at the beginning and end of an ad block, then removing the unwanted chapter(s)? Maybe less intuitive and slightly more cumbersome than the old models, but it didn't sound difficult.

From early posts in this thread, I think most users of the old models quickly lost interest in the new ones due to their lack of high-speed dubbing...

CC

post #726 of 1176 Old 07-09-2017, 09:32 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJin40517 View Post
GLJ, First, welcome to forum. Second, I am older than you are and if your eyesight is bothering you maybe it is time for new glasses or use of a handheld reading magnifier (I sometimes use one for very fine print). I just got some of these new units and will be installing them soon. These new units are much more powerful than the earlier generations which I have used for almost a decade now. The power of these new units is you can record HDTV and you can add external HDD for huge amounts of storage, however, even with the older units (which only record SDTV) and even if I burned a program to a DVD (which I do not recommend on these new units because it will be only transferred to the DVD as an SDTV copy) I seldom bothered to edit out commercials. I find that if all you plan to do is watch the program at your convenience and then delete it (which is what I do at least 90% of time) taking the time to edit out the commercials is just not worth it. Instead, what I do is use the easy to use SKIP button (which on the new remotes is to the right ok the OK button) and quickly skip over the commercials (you made need to use the REVERSE button to adjust the starting position after using the SKIP button, but usually pressing the SKIP button until the commercial ends does not require fine tuning) . The SKIP button is preset for a 30 second advance (you can change this time by going into the menu) so it may take anywhere from two to six or more presses of the SKIP button to get through the commercial, but it goes very quickly. Also if you plan to save for a long time or even archive certain programs I do not plan to do this by transferring to DVD's anymore. Instead I will put those programs onto an external HDD that is 4, 5, or 6 TB in size. These external HDD's may seem expensive compared to a single DVD+RW, however, if you plan to save a lot of programs the external HDD will be cheaper, will let you save the programs as HDTV, and require much less storage space the many DVD's.

Tony Plachy
post #727 of 1176 Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Also if you plan to save for a long time or even archive certain programs I do not plan to do this by transferring to DVD's anymore. Instead I will put those programs onto an external HDD that is 4, 5, or 6 TB in size. These external HDD's may seem expensive compared to a single DVD+RW, however, if you plan to save a lot of programs the external HDD will be cheaper, will let you save the programs as HDTV, and require much less storage space the many DVD's.
That is fine as long as you understand and accept that the HDD is keyed to a specific recorder which means the saved content can only be played back when the HDD is connected to the unit it was recorded on. If that unit fails the content is lost.
greaser likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #728 of 1176 Old 07-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Can any kind soul help with my issue.

I have the Mag 2-tuner, and although the menus are clunky and the God forsaken, child-size remote is infuriating, so far it's been working great. I only use it to DVR my shows and then watch/delete them within a couple days.

Recently, the machine only recorded my first scheduled recording for that day. For the rest of them it "acted" like it was recording them but when I went to watch them, the titles were not listed. There were no "i" message alerts about low signal or anything, they just were not there. Now it is doing this ocassionally. I can be at my desk and hear the machine click on when it's time to record a show, and if I walk over to the unit, the red recording lights are on ...but the show will not be in the title list. I don't use folders or anything, the recording is just no where to be found. So, WTF?! It's making me super paranoid because, you know, you sit down with your snack after a hard day and you want your show to be there and ... Anyone got any ideas? THANKS SO MUCH!
post #729 of 1176 Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post

I have the Mag 2-tuner, and although the menus are clunky and the God forsaken, child-size remote is infuriating, so far it's been working great. I only use it to DVR my shows and then watch/delete them within a couple days.

Recently, the machine only recorded my first scheduled recording for that day. For the rest of them it "acted" like it was recording them but when I went to watch them, the titles were not listed. There were no "i" message alerts about low signal or anything, they just were not there. Now it is doing this ocassionally. I can be at my desk and hear the machine click on when it's time to record a show, and if I walk over to the unit, the red recording lights are on ...but the show will not be in the title list. I don't use folders or anything, the recording is just no where to be found. So, WTF?! It's making me super paranoid because, you know, you sit down with your snack after a hard day and you want your show to be there and ... Anyone got any ideas? THANKS SO MUCH!
Sounds like a problem with HDD or possibly one of the tuners. I only have the old models - on those you could see an active recording in the list and chase-play it. I'd try setting a string of short recordings and see if they're visible while recording. Maybe some overlapping, some back-to-back, some with enough spacing to let the unit turn off and back on. If you can, also trying to record directly to a dvd or external drive might help isolate the problem. With luck it might be just some HDD corruption that could be fixed with a reformat...

CC

post #730 of 1176 Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 PM
ALP

Quote:

This is very concerning to me. I have yet to get my new Maggies installed. What exactly do have programed to record? Is it set to record daily or weekly? Are the two programs set to record at the same time? What record setting are you using, the best quality or what?

Tony Plachy
post #731 of 1176 Old 07-16-2017, 05:04 PM

Okay, I set up a BUNCH of different recordings this weekend and all of them recorded without incident, so still a mystery about the episodes of recordings gone missing. ALP, these were "daily" recordings and the recordings remain in the schedule and seem to record as usual, but a day here and there some of them just weren't there! I have most set to the default middle quality and a couple shows on top quality.

CC, how does one reformat the HDD? I did not see that option in any menu.

ANOTHER ANNOYING THING is, several times a week, I will have an alert that a program could not record because of a poor signal, but yet it IS there in the programs list and has recorded perfectly. (?!) I do think the tuner is not as good as the previous tuner. I moved my antenna higher up on the wall and have crossed my fingers.

I will let you know how these crises develop.

Oh and here is my tip for commercial skippers. I set the chapter length to 5 minutes. So when a show goes into commercial break, I can use both the "forward to the next chapter button" to skip over several minutes, as well as the "30 second variable skip" button to quickly move through a break.
post #732 of 1176 Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I set up a BUNCH of different recordings this weekend and all of them recorded without incident, so still a mystery about the episodes of recordings gone missing. ALP, these were "daily" recordings and the recordings remain in the schedule and seem to record as usual, but a day here and there some of them just weren't there! I have most set to the default middle quality and a couple shows on top quality.

ANOTHER ANNOYING THING is, several times a week, I will have an alert that a program could not record because of a poor signal, but yet it IS there in the programs list and has recorded perfectly. (?!) I do think the tuner is not as good as the previous tuner. I moved my antenna higher up on the wall and have crossed my fingers.

Oh and here is my tip for commercial skippers. I set the chapter length to 5 minutes. So when a show goes into commercial break, I can use both the "forward to the next chapter button" to skip over several minutes, as well as the "30 second variable skip" button to quickly move through a break.
The old models had "skip" codes for things like diagnostics and HDD reformatting, documented in the old thread. I don't know the procedure on the new models.

I imagine the HD tuners in the new models would need a better signal than the old SD tuners...

CC

post #733 of 1176 Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
ALP

Quote:

CG, I am assuming based on your post that you are getting your TV signal OTA and you are using an indoor antenna. Are you in a major metropolitan area? If so it could be multipath problems that are randomly effecting your recordings. Do the new Maggies still gave a signal strength indicator? Check it if they do and see if it is near the marginal strength for some of your channels.

Tony Plachy
post #734 of 1176 Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
No, actually my failures were clear digital on TWC, on my oldest 3576, which I believe I got before the digital switch so not surprising the digital tuner wasn't up to standard. Never any problem with the analog tuner, or with digital on my 2160a or 515 (Spectrum hasn't wiped out the clear digital locals yet). With streaming I don't need 3 recorders any more so the 3576 is pretty much retired. Luckily the only 3 basic cable channels I watch are AMC, BBCA and FX, and I can record them via on-demand with composite input to 515 - not great but better than analog tuner since I can "watch" in HD - though AMC is copy-once until 4th day after first airing...
CC, My post was a reply to cowgirl (CG). Sorry for the confusion.

Tony Plachy
post #735 of 1176 Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
CC, My post was a reply to cowgirl (CG). Sorry for the confusion.
Oh sorry - misread CG as CC - I'll delete...

CC

post #736 of 1176 Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Hey Guys, well, I haven't experienced missing programs since I last reported it, but I assume it will happen again at some point.

Yes I use OTA amplified antenna. I am in Phoenix (very large city) about 10 miles away from the mountain with all the signals. I am in a second floor condo with the antenna pointed out a big window toward the mountain. But still on some channels, I get the alert that there was a poor signal alert and the program didn't record --however, the program did record and is plays fine. When I am watching TV through DVR, there does not appear to be any signal problems.

There is literally only one spot I can put my antenna before I do start getting some scrambles, so perhaps I need a better antenna? It is quite old. Is there one you recommend?

Thanks for you input on my situation, it's much appreciated!
post #737 of 1176 Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Hey Guys, well, I haven't experienced missing programs since I last reported it, but I assume it will happen again at some point.

Yes I use OTA amplified antenna. I am in Phoenix (very large city) about 10 miles away from the mountain with all the signals. I am in a second floor condo with the antenna pointed out a big window toward the mountain. But still on some channels, I get the alert that there was a poor signal alert and the program didn't record --however, the program did record and is plays fine. When I am watching TV through DVR, there does not appear to be any signal problems.

There is literally only one spot I can put my antenna before I do start getting some scrambles, so perhaps I need a better antenna? It is quite old. Is there one you recommend?

Thanks for you input on my situation, it's much appreciated!
I’m in Mesa and about 25 miles from South Mountain. My reception is pretty good. A few of the low frequency stations like This TV, Get TV and of course Comet TV before they quit broadcasting come in weak but everything else is real strong.
My antenna is outside and about 25 feet high. So I cannot see why you should have trouble on the second floor 10 miles from South Mountain.
post #738 of 1176 Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Data recovery on Hard Drive?

Hello,

Does anyone know what the hard drive file structure is, and if it is proprietary or Windows based (ie. FAT32, NTFS, etc.)?

I have the 868 and a nearly full HD of 7 months of shows recorded. One day I thought I was finalizing a DVD, but found out it cleared the Hard Drive's Table of Contents (TOC) and asks to re-format before using. I have not formatted the HD, nor used it since other than recording directly to DVD, as I wish to do a "Data Recovery" on the HD, but I need to know if anyone knows the file structure of the recorded movies (.AVI or RAW files or if it is proprietary from Funai) before I void my warranty by opening it up and trying the Windows-based Data Recovery Software "Zero Assumption Recovery - ZAR"? Just FYI, this program did not like Apple-based hard drives' file structure, as the company offers an Apple-based version.

I called the Magnavox Tech Support line 1-866-341-3738, and they were at best, CLUELESS to all my queries.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
post #739 of 1176 Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman_39 View Post

Does anyone know what the hard drive file structure is, and if it is proprietary or Windows based (ie. FAT32, NTFS, etc.)?
The file system is proprietary and locked to a specific recorder so I would guess that it is encrypted.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #740 of 1176 Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Hi @artisticimaging , I don't know why I get **** reception so close to South Mountain. But I do. I mean, there is a building wall across from me, but still... Maybe I need a better antenna, if anyone has one they recommend?

How do you re-format the HDD, and is that something you should do once in a while?

My player seems to working properly for the moment. I do recommend buying this thing from Walmart as they have a generous 3 month return. I have until into September to make sure this one doesn't crap out.
tomintn likes this.
post #741 of 1176 Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosbest1 View Post
Perhaps you need a cat 2 HDMI cable or there is some other incompatibility with the TVs. The TV must be HDCP capable. See page 16 of the manual, where it states:

Connecting to a TV Using an HDMI Cable
• HDMI outputs the Digital Video / Audio signals without converting to them to Analog signals.
• No Audio connection is required as Digital Audio is sent through the HDMI cable.
• High speed HDMI Cable (also known as HDMI category 2 Cable) is recommended for better compatibility.
• Use an HDMI Cable with the HDMI logo (a certified HDMI Cable) for this Connection.

and

Note(s)
• Some devices with an HDMI input may not operate properly with this unit.
• When a Power failure occurs or when you unplug the unit, some problems with the HDMI setting might occur. Please check and set the HDMI setting again.

HDMI settings are described on page 55, but it says they can only be set once you have a connection. If a cat 2 cable doesn't work, then all I can suggest is to try another TV that is newer (if applicable) to be sure it isn't your TVs and the Mag output isn't working. I'd be willing to guess the Mag output works and it's the TVs or cable.

More troubleshooting on page 67:

No image from HDMI Connection.
• Check the HDMI Connection. (Check the status of the HDMI related
indications.)
• Check the correct SOURCE or INPUT on the DTV device that has correctly
selected the Signal from this unit's HDMI output
• Check whether the connected Monitor device or other device supports
HDCP. (This unit will not output a Video signal unless the other device
supports HDCP.)
• Check the setting of HDMI.
• Check whether the output format of this unit (HDMI FORMAT) matches the
supported Input format of another connected device.
• If above remedies do not work, unplug the HDMI Cable and the AC Power
cords, then plug them back in the order of 1: HDMI Cable, 2: AC Power cord
I'm sorry to be so slow to get back to this and do really appreciate the suggestions. I'll try to clarify what happened.

I had a Samsung TV that was 1 year and 10 months old. The TV was turned off and had 3 Mag recorders of various versions hooked up. There was a very close lightening strike and the TV made a loud "POP" and never came on again. The Mag in question had been used successfully with this TV. I replaced the TV with a new Sony XBR TV and the Mag MDR867 isn't recognized through HDMI. I also tried it with a fairly new Panasonic and got the same results. The Mag did connect with the Panasonic using composite cables.

I followed the advice and bought a new HDMI cable with the latest technology and the Mag is still not recognized over HDMI. I think the HDMI output is fried on the MDR867. I can't get it to connect on either TV so can't reset anything to do with HDMI (grayed out) and no HDMI button on the remote. Is there somewhere I can take/send the unit for repair? Would it be possible for me to replace the HDMI output on the MDR867?

Thanks so much
post #742 of 1176 Old 07-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Hi @artisticimaging , I don't know why I get **** reception so close to South Mountain. But I do. I mean, there is a building wall across from me, but still... Maybe I need a better antenna, if anyone has one they recommend?

How do you re-format the HDD, and is that something you should do once in a while?

My player seems to working properly for the moment. I do recommend buying this thing from Walmart as they have a generous 3 month return. I have until into September to make sure this one doesn't crap out.
I have the Magnavox 2160 which is an older model for about ten years now and have never formatted the HDD or have done any kind of maintenance to it.

Are you having trouble with all of the stations or just certain ones? If so which ones?
post #743 of 1176 Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Are you having trouble with all of the stations or just certain ones? If so which ones?
I have the most trouble with NBC (12) and FOX (10) and the least with KTVK (3) and ABC (15). I have the antenna on an extention so it runs from the living room into the kitchen to the top of the frig and out the window. Before that things were much much worse.
post #744 of 1176 Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I have the most trouble with NBC (12) and FOX (10) and the least with KTVK (3) and ABC (15). I have the antenna on an extention so it runs from the living room into the kitchen to the top of the frig and out the window. Before that things were much much worse.
Yes those are the problem stations for a weak tuner. I think they are VHF stations. Do you think the reception is the same through the TV and the Magnavox? If so you will need something like this. Good luck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-M...tenna/13968946
post #745 of 1176 Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yes those are the problem stations for a weak tuner. I think they are VHF stations. Do you think the reception is the same through the TV and the Magnavox? If so you will need something like this. Good luck.

The TV gets the channels okay, it's only when recording or watching through the Mag tuner that it can scramble. Unfortunately I live in a condo and am not allowed to put up an outdoor antenna. Have they made any advancements with the indoor ones?
post #746 of 1176 Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Check FCC rules, no condo and HOA can disallow a resident from installing an external antenna, period
artisticimaging likes this.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #747 of 1176 Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post
Check FCC rules, no condo and HOA can disallow a resident from installing an external antenna, period

I agree that is the law, but when they laugh in your face and say no it is a big hassle to file suit against the condo.

Cowgirl try this forum see if you can find help.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...-hdtv-388.html
post #748 of 1176 Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I agree that is the law, but when they laugh in your face and say no it is a big hassle to file suit against the condo.

Cowgirl try this forum see if you can find help.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...-hdtv-388.html
Thanks everyone. I will give a progress report once I start trying some solution.

@vmalhotra Yeah, I live in a small historic complex where there are NO cable lines or visible antennas, and, law or not, it looks quite nice, so I'm not going to be the one to stick something up and cause a ruckus! It's just not worth the scorn!
post #749 of 1176 Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I will give a progress report once I start trying some solution.

@vmalhotra Yeah, I live in a small historic complex where there are NO cable lines or visible antennas, and, law or not, it looks quite nice, so I'm not going to be the one to stick something up and cause a ruckus! It's just not worth the scorn!
Cowgirl,

I had antenna like this, and I put a wood veneer on it at one of my previous places and no one noticed, it works reasonably well.

https://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolo.../dp/B00005T3A9

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #750 of 1176 Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post
Cowgirl,

I had antenna like this, and I put a wood veneer on it at one of my previous places and no one noticed, it works reasonably well.

https://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolo.../dp/B00005T3A9
Thanks V, I might indeed try a new antenna, but it will have to stay inside. Our building is super white block and it looks as smooth as Superman's ice cave on the south side. Trust me, they will notice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page