Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #991 of 1179 Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Skip Codes for the 865, 867, 868

I just read through the thread and could not find references to the skip codes for the 865, 867, 868.

All of the skip codes are still there, you just have to press (Next) before the "old" skip code.
For example to format the internal drive Press (Next), (skip), [0], [7], [9] buttons on the remote control in this order. (Next is just to the right of the pause tv button)
artisticimaging and JHBrandt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1179 Old 06-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_peele View Post
I just read through the thread and could not find references to the skip codes for the 865, 867, 868.

All of the skip codes are still there, you just have to press (Next) before the "old" skip code.
For example to format the internal drive Press (Next), (skip), [0], [7], [9] buttons on the remote control in this order. (Next is just to the right of the pause tv button)
How is this different from the procedure from p. 65 of the manual which can delete all titles/initialize the hard drive? Have you actually taken out the original drive and replaced it with a new one and tried what you stated in an 865, 867, or 868?
post #993 of 1179 Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
How is this different from the procedure from p. 65 of the manual which can delete all titles/initialize the hard drive? Have you actually taken out the original drive and replaced it with a new one and tried what you stated in an 865, 867, or 868?
The procedure on page 65 erases the pointers on the HDD but it does not format it.
Using the skip code actually formats the drive allowing you to replace it.
Yes, I've replaced the drive and have successfully recorded and played back on the replaced drive.
All of the other skip codes work as well.
I hope that this helps.
jkeldo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1179 Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_peele View Post
The procedure on page 65 erases the pointers on the HDD but it does not format it.
Using the skip code actually formats the drive allowing you to replace it.
Yes, I've replaced the drive and have successfully recorded and played back on the replaced drive.
All of the other skip codes work as well.
I hope that this helps.
That's good information to know. I would probably just use an external drive if the internal failed unless that causes a problem with the external one. Is there a particular brand you used for the internal and does the size matter so that it matches the original? I just hope mine keeps working since there seems to be no future models coming.
post #995 of 1179 Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That's good information to know. I would probably just use an external drive if the internal failed unless that causes a problem with the external one. Is there a particular brand you used for the internal and does the size matter so that it matches the original? I just hope mine keeps working since there seems to be no future models coming.
I have the 865 which takes a 500GB HDD.
There are two models recommended by Funai, the WD MQ01ABF050 and the WD WD5000LUCT-63RC2Y0.

For the 867 they recommend the DT01ABA100V and the WD10EURX-63UY4Y0.
For the 868, the DT01ABA200V and the WD20EURX-63T0FY0 are recommended.

For this 865, I used a Hitachi Travelstar Z5K500 HTS545050A7E680. (Because I already have them)

I have successfully used the Hitachi Travelstar in the Philips 3575, 3576, and Magnavox H2160.

For those systems, I installed a PATA to SATA adapter ($10) and modified the HDD mounting plate for a 2.5" drive.

You can also use the Hitachi Travelstar in the Magnavox H2160-A, the 513 and the 515 without the adapter.

I don't know if the 865 will take a larger drive so I just ordered a 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar HTS541010A9E680 to try to "upgrade" the 865 to 1TB.
It has a sata 3 interface (6GB) while the 865 uses a sata 2 interface (3GB). Doesn't matter.

You should be able to use an external drive without the internal one. They're independent.
I use 1TB WD Elements SE (They were on sale at Office Max for $49)

Hope this helps.
jkeldo and jj2me like this.
post #996 of 1179 Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the detailed information. I tend to use WD drives but also have used other brands such as Toshiba and Seagate externals. As I said, I hope I don't have to open the unit up but it's great to know what can work. Thanks again.
post #997 of 1179 Old 07-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Scheduling a recording on MDR867 vs. MDR515

Finally ran out of space on my MDR515 so I got a refurbished MDR867 and am learning my way around.

I really like the folders, but I'm having a problem with scheduling. On the MDR515, I could add a show title to the schedule which was convenient for recording serials (each one automatically has the name of the show plus date/time).

But on the MDR867, there doesn't seem to be any option to add/change a title to the schedule - so every day one simply gets a date/time stamp & no program name. If I were only regularly recording one program, that wouldn't be a problem but it gets confusing to have just dates and times if I'm scheduling multiple programs. (The manual indicates there should be a title line above the date/time but there is none when I create a schedule.)

I read the section in the thread about metadata and titles being picked up from the broadcast signal, but whether I schedule a recording or record manually, no title information comes through.

I figure I could create a folder with the program's name, but that seems a bit clunky and doesn't fit the folder strategy I set up. Is it, however, the only way to handle this situation?

(Not sure if it's relevant, but I have A/V cables from the MDR to a Comcast cable box and HDMI from the MDR to Samsung TV. I can't set the time automatically because no channels show up when I try an auto channel preset so I set the MDR time manually.)
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri** **alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri** **alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h
Detect language » English

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri** **alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIri** **alianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h

post #998 of 1179 Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an 867 and once the show is recorded, it does display with the program name. Sometimes the program name is not correct, because I'll start recording a couple of minutes before the show starts, and sometime the previous show's name will display, but it's still useful enough for me to find what I want. But while the show is recording, it does only show the date and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Secor View Post
Finally ran out of space on my MDR515 so I got a refurbished MDR867 and am learning my way around.

I really like the folders, but I'm having a problem with scheduling. On the MDR515, I could add a show title to the schedule which was convenient for recording serials (each one automatically has the name of the show plus date/time).

But on the MDR867, there doesn't seem to be any option to add/change a title to the schedule - so every day one simply gets a date/time stamp & no program name. If I were only regularly recording one program, that wouldn't be a problem but it gets confusing to have just dates and times if I'm scheduling multiple programs. (The manual indicates there should be a title line above the date/time but there is none when I create a schedule.)

I read the section in the thread about metadata and titles being picked up from the broadcast signal, but whether I schedule a recording or record manually, no title information comes through.

I figure I could create a folder with the program's name, but that seems a bit clunky and doesn't fit the folder strategy I set up. Is it, however, the only way to handle this situation?

(Not sure if it's relevant, but I have A/V cables from the MDR to a Comcast cable box and HDMI from the MDR to Samsung TV. I can't set the time automatically because no channels show up when I try an auto channel preset so I set the MDR time manually.)

post #999 of 1179 Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you cannot set the time automatically or get channels, then you must not have an antenna hooked up or you are too far from the antenna towers. Once you do that and do a channel scan, the machine will update the time daily around midnight if I'm not mistaken. By your description, I assume you are recording from your Comcast box through the A/V cables which will give you good results but if you can hook up an antenna of some kind and you can receive your local channels in HD, then you can record those in HD as well and the quality will be much better. Hope this helps.
post #1000 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Where did you buy a refurbished MDR867?
post #1001 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
If you cannot set the time automatically or get channels, then you must not have an antenna hooked up or you are too far from the antenna towers. Once you do that and do a channel scan, the machine will update the time daily around midnight if I'm not mistaken. By your description, I assume you are recording from your Comcast box through the A/V cables which will give you good results but if you can hook up an antenna of some kind and you can receive your local channels in HD, then you can record those in HD as well and the quality will be much better. Hope this helps.
The MDR can't seem to see the Comcast channels at all. Quick scan comes up with 0 channels. Can't add individual channels.

Connection is as follows:
Comcast cable to cable box. A/V out from cable box to in on MDR. HDMI1 from TV to cable box; HDMI2 from TV to MDR.

I suspect the channel problem is due to the fact that all the Comcast channels are encrypted. I don't have an external antenna so I don't know about the over-the-air digital channels.

But since I record from "L1", I was hoping the DVR could pick up the broadcast title names.

post #1002 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Where did you buy a refurbished MDR867?
From Amazon. Actual seller was Factory Refurbished Electronics. $280.

artisticimaging likes this.
post #1003 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
The MDR can't seem to see the Comcast channels at all. Quick scan comes up with 0 channels. Can't add individual channels.
That's because you can only see channels from the tuner and the tuner on the MDR series is only useful for OTA broadcasts. It is useless for digital cable. It cannot receive encrypted cable channels since it has no support for a cable card. You can only record from a cable box through the recorders line input. That provides no meta-data information. Each generation of the magnavox recorders leaves out features from the previous generation. I believe the 8xx series leaves out the ability to edit the title of the recording.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1004 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
From Amazon. Actual seller was Factory Refurbished Electronics. $280.

Dang! I wish I would have beat you to it

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #1005 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That's because you can only see channels from the tuner and the tuner on the MDR series is only useful for OTA broadcasts. It is useless for digital cable. It cannot receive encrypted cable channels since it has no support for a cable card. You can only record from a cable box through the recorders line input. That provides no meta-data information. Each generation of the magnavox recorders leaves out features from the previous generation. I believe the 8xx series leaves out the ability to edit the title of the recording.
The last generation including the 865, 867, and 868 models were the only ones that could record in high definition from OTA so I would not consider that leaving out features but rather an improvement. Editing a title is on p. 42 of the manual. I haven't had cable for years as I have DirecTV but I think it is the same general issue as you can only record from the composite outputs or use a converter such as an Atlona that takes the component output and converts it to S-Video which the Magnavox recorders have in the front for an input. But the quality is nowhere near the HD capability of the machine from OTA channels that broadcast in HD.

Last edited by jkeldo; 07-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.
post #1006 of 1179 Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Connection is as follows:
Comcast cable to cable box. A/V out from cable box to in on MDR. HDMI1 from TV to cable box; HDMI2 from TV to MDR.

I suspect the channel problem is due to the fact that all the Comcast channels are encrypted. I don't have an external antenna so I don't know about the over-the-air digital channels.

But since I record from "L1", I was hoping the DVR could pick up the broadcast title names.

You should try to hook up some sort of antenna so that you can record in high definition from OTA if there is something you would want. You cannot get the names of the shows through the line inputs when recording as that would only be available from OTA. See p. 42 of the manual to edit the name of the title. If you did not get a manual, here is a link to download from Magnavox:

https://www.magnavox.com/qc/blu-ray-...win-tuner.html

Look under support documents.
post #1007 of 1179 Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hello,

I have not been on the forum for a long time. I just went to Walmart.com to look for a new Magnavox/Funai DVR to add to my collection and recommend to a neighbor. I do not see any listed.

Are they still being manufactured? If so, where can I purchase them. If Magnavox has discontinued the product what are people replacing it with? I have a Philips and find the GUI inferior. Is there a forum for the Philips? Maybe there is a thread about this topic.

Thank you for any help.
post #1008 of 1179 Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
Hello,

I have not been on the forum for a long time. I just went to Walmart.com to look for a new Magnavox/Funai DVR to add to my collection and recommend to a neighbor. I do not see any listed.

Are they still being manufactured? If so, where can I purchase them. If Magnavox has discontinued the product what are people replacing it with? I have a Philips and find the GUI inferior. Is there a forum for the Philips? Maybe there is a thread about this topic.

Thank you for any help.
It appears they are not being manufactured as others on this board have also had difficulty finding one. There are some to be found on eBay etc. but at very high prices. There were supposed to be new models but they never came out. See this thread for that information:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...p-tb560hs.html

I believe that the Magnavox 865, 867, 868 models were the last of the OTA tuner/DVD recorder units from any brand including Philips. You might want to try ABC Warehouse as they still show the 865 model but I think it is a refurbished one.
post #1009 of 1179 Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It appears they are not being manufactured as others on this board have also had difficulty finding one. There are some to be found on eBay etc. but at very high prices. There were supposed to be new models but they never came out. See this thread for that information:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...p-tb560hs.html

I believe that the Magnavox 865, 867, 868 models were the last of the OTA tuner/DVD recorder units from any brand including Philips. You might want to try ABC Warehouse as they still show the 865 model but I think it is a refurbished one.

That is horrible news. jkeldo, Thank you for the information and link. I needed to know the current status.
post #1010 of 1179 Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
That is horrible news. jkeldo, Thank you for the information and link. I needed to know the current status.
There are alternatives if you only want a DVR without a DVD recorder. Check on Amazon or other sites. Tablo makes then as well as Tivo Roamio. Also, Channel Master has the Stream+ but I don't own any of these since I have the Magnavox and do use the DVD recorder for archiving.
post #1011 of 1179 Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
There are alternatives if you only want a DVR without a DVD recorder. Check on Amazon or other sites. Tablo makes then as well as Tivo Roamio. Also, Channel Master has the Stream+ but I don't own any of these since I have the Magnavox and do use the DVD recorder for archiving.
jkeldo,

Thank you for the recommendations. I do not need the DVD recorder function.
post #1012 of 1179 Old 09-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These 800-series units appear to have disappeared from the marketplace. But they are still listed on the Magnavox website. Are they still being manufactured? Are they maybe available from sources outside the U.S.?
https://www.magnavox.com/en/15-blu-ray-and-dvd-players
post #1013 of 1179 Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Do these require subscriptions? Or can they be used like the Magnavox units?
post #1014 of 1179 Old 09-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2015 View Post
These 800-series units appear to have disappeared from the marketplace. But they are still listed on the Magnavox website. Are they still being manufactured? Are they maybe available from sources outside the U.S.?
https://www.magnavox.com/en/15-blu-ray-and-dvd-players
The Magnavox website has a single source for them....a place called ABC Warehouse. It's located in and around Detroit. Found them on a Google search, as the link on the Maggy page is bad.

Yep....I just ordered an 867. Let's see what happens.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #1015 of 1179 Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 AM

I'm so glad ABC Warehouse still has the 867. That's where I got mine, but I thought it was the last one. It says "factory recertified". What does that mean?
post #1016 of 1179 Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Uh oh.

That means returned by the original purchaser and (allegedly) fixed/shown as fully working by the factory.

I may have to reconsider this.

Here's their return policy in case someone gets a lemon.

Returns/Refunds/Exchanges

At ABC WAREHOUSE we work extremely hard to satisfy every customer. If your recently purchased item is not functioning as designed due to product failure, simply call your salesperson at the number listed on your sales receipt. If you don’t remember your salespersons name or can’t find your receipt – no problem – just call 800 722 3333 and someone will help you. ABC WAREHOUSE will, in our discretion, repair it, replace it or depending on your method of payment, with valid receipt, will offer store credit or full refund. All sales are final on overstock, closeout and clearance items.

I don't think these fall under the last three categories, but I'd be sure to purchase with a credit card that has a generous return/refund policy.

mn

Last edited by austinsho; 09-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #1017 of 1179 Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 AM

I hope yours works well. I'm really happy with mine.
post #1018 of 1179 Old 09-03-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
Uh oh.

That means returned by the original purchaser and (allegedly) fixed/shown as fully working by the factory.
If it was refurbed by the manufacturer, it should meet factory standards. It's not necessarily a broken unit that was repaired. It might be that it was returned by a dealer who stopped stocking them, or was an open box or display unit that wasn't actually used much, or was brought back by a consumer who couldn't figure out how to program it. Maybe Magnavox is shipping all their returned units to this one outlet. I would make a point of testing all functions as soon as I got it, rather than trying to deal with a problem that you discover in six months.

Their website looks like a legit place, with retail stores all over Michigan. I may take a chance myself.
https://www.abcwarehouse.com/
post #1019 of 1179 Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, I'm just hoping that it's a unit that someone returned because they couldn't run it, were mad it didn't record to DVD in HD , or something like that. At any rate, I'll keep the group apprised on how it goes!

post #1020 of 1179 Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The MAGNAVOX MDR867H/F7 has two tuners and can record two programs at the same time. Can it record two programs from Line Input 1 and Line Input 2 at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page