Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #1051 of 1176 Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Thanks for the info. $500 is way too expensive IMO, but TiVo often had sales of the Roamio OTA where you could pick up one with lifetime for a more reasonable price like $300. Hopefully that will be true for the Bolt OTA too.

But while you're waiting for the next TiVo sale, you can pick up an HW-180STB and a USB drive for like $80. That way if your Magnavox dies before you find a good deal on a TiVo, you'll have something to fall back on.
DoctorM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1176 Old 09-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungrybro View Post
I just ordered and received a referbed MDR865 from ABC. Two day shipping, I'm in Indiana, so I'm not too far away. Same packing as you and the manual looks like someone made it in their basement. My 535 has been in the shop for months and so far no luck. I saw ABC's add and figured I better do something before there all $600. Frist recording set for tonight, hope it works OK.
I've recorder several shows and played a few DVD's, so far everything works well. The new menu is a little challenging, but that's to be expected. I really like the auto title.
post #1053 of 1176 Old 10-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
I'll be needing to get a new remote for my 867 -- spilled some liquid on it, and decided I should take it apart to clean the circuit board and keypad button faces for the very first time as it was beginning to act as though gunk was preventing good contact anyway. Unfortunately, my leveraging tool and grasp slipped, damaging the circuit board's substrate and breaking several of the flowed-solder leads on the board which rendered some of the key functions of the remote inoperable.

I've noted there are a few sellers on eBay for new remotes at ~$25-35, but just thought I'd post a query to anyone who might have previously needed a replacement about any source for them you might recommend (or recommend avoiding).
FYI, the Funai storefront on eBay has replacement remotes for ~$25, with free and prompt shipping so I had it in about 4 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1176 Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
FYI, the Funai storefront on eBay has replacement remotes for ~$25, with free and prompt shipping so I had it in about 4 days.
Thanks for that information in case the remote is needed. Some parts are not always easy to find.
post #1055 of 1176 Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my 867 for quite a while and have noted one possible problem.
In months with 31 days, the clock in the DVR rolls over to the next month at the end of the 30th day rather than the 31st. This, of course, screws up any timer programs!

The first time this happened I blamed the PSIP from the station that I used to set the clock.
I used a different station and it happened again. It was not the station!

I have come to the conclusion that this DVR (unlike my previous '513) does NOT set the clock from a TV station a couple of times a day, or it would have corrected the rollover error.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, or has a workable solution?

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer
post #1056 of 1176 Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a problem similar to that but not exactly. This Wednesday, the 31st, around noon, the clock changed to Nov. 1. It recorded the program I had set for 11:30 am, but in the middle when the clock changed, it also tried to record the same program for Nov. 1 and failed. Since the program on the 31st recorded fine, I didn't notice until another program began recording at 8:00 that night and that program had been set for Nov. 1. So I had to reset the clock and re-enter the Nov. 1 programs. This has happened before and I thought it had to do with daylight saving and standard time not being programmed correctly in the DVR.
post #1057 of 1176 Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I buy Apple TV would I be able to record to the DVD recorder HD? I have both the older model Magnavox 515 and newer 867. I don’t wont to get it if I am not able to record onto the HD.
post #1058 of 1176 Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The line inputs on the 867 are SD only. IIRC the Apple TV's output is HDMI, so the only way to do what you want would be to use an expensive ATSC modulator to convert the Apple TV's HDMI output to ATSC on an unused RF channel. Even then it may not work; those ATSC modulators are often flaky about the tuners they'll work with.

Oh - and it won't go to the DVD in HD no matter what. DVDs are inherently limited to ED (i.e., 480p) resolution.
post #1059 of 1176 Old 11-15-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The line inputs on the 867 are SD only. IIRC the Apple TV's output is HDMI, so the only way to do what you want would be to use an expensive ATSC modulator to convert the Apple TV's HDMI output to ATSC on an unused RF channel. Even then it may not work; those ATSC modulators are often flaky about the tuners they'll work with.

Oh - and it won't go to the DVD in HD no matter what. DVDs are inherently limited to ED (i.e., 480p) resolution.
Ok thanks!!!.....Now with these DVD recorders going by the way side what would be the best way to record off Apple TV? Do I need a certain computer program etc or is there a machine that can record what im viewing on apple tv?
post #1060 of 1176 Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjells View Post
Ok thanks!!!.....Now with these DVD recorders going by the way side what would be the best way to record off Apple TV? Do I need a certain computer program etc or is there a machine that can record what im viewing on apple tv?
You could use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, as stated previously it is not HD but the output is pretty good. The S-VHS or composite output can go into one of the Maganavox inputs for recording. You can record to either the hard drive or DVD on the 867 but it is not going to be HD. I have used it with DirecTV. But you might encounter HDCP issues and need a HDMI splitter that either strips the protection or fools the device into allowing the signal to pass. Google HDCP strippers if needed.
post #1061 of 1176 Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM

or what about say if I recorded to a DVR and then when I play the DVR, I record it to the hard drive of my dvd recorder for editing purposes. I guess the quality is going to suffer but not sure how much.
post #1062 of 1176 Old 11-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
or what about say if I recorded to a DVR and then when I play the DVR, I record it to the hard drive of my dvd recorder for editing purposes. I guess the quality is going to suffer but not sure how much.
If you mean going from one DVR to another, depending on the quality of the recording it probably would suffer. It would also depend on what you use to digitize the material in the first place as the unit I mentioned goes down to SD quality. The inputs on the Magnavox are all SD even though you can adjust the quality when recording to the hard drive or DVD. I've never had a DirecTV DVR so I can't say how your example would work. But if you have something similar or a cable DVR, then try it and see if it's good enough for your taste.
post #1063 of 1176 Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you're still talking about recording Apple TV, I don't know any DVRs that will record from an HDMI port. Almost all DVRs have an HDMI output but you need one with an HDMI input.

Realistically, the only ways I know of to record data from an HDMI port are an HDMI capture device for a PC, or an ATSC modulator. Others can recommend their favorite HDMI capture device; I don't own one.

But here's a link to the Stellar Labs ATSC modulator I own: http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/3...tor/dp/84Y7983. It's expensive ($314) but they have it on sale now for $219. It should do what you want, and if it doesn't, Newark has a good return policy so you can send it back for a refund.

Regardless, when you go to DVD you're going to lose some resolution. It won't be HD but it should still look decent.
post #1064 of 1176 Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
MDR867 stuttering on replay - hard drive going bad?

I think the hard drive on my MDR867 might be going bad. Recordings on that drive are occasionally but consistently stuttering on replay. Recordings on an external drive attached to the same unit are not.

Questions:

1. Is there a way (key sequence on remote, or whatever) to reformat the drive without removing it from the unit to see if that helps?

2. If #1 doesn't work, can I simply buy a similar drive and replace the original one with it? Would I have to format it somehow before installing it, will the unit format it on power-up, or, as in #1 , is there a command sequence that triggers it?

3. Any other observations and/or suggestions?

Thanks!
post #1065 of 1176 Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM

I don't have the answers to your questions, but I would like to ask how long you have had your MDR867?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBill View Post
I think the hard drive on my MDR867 might be going bad. Recordings on that drive are occasionally but consistently stuttering on replay. Recordings on an external drive attached to the same unit are not.

Questions:

1. Is there a way (key sequence on remote, or whatever) to reformat the drive without removing it from the unit to see if that helps?

2. If #1 doesn't work, can I simply buy a similar drive and replace the original one with it? Would I have to format it somehow before installing it, will the unit format it on power-up, or, as in #1 , is there a command sequence that triggers it?

Thanks!
post #1066 of 1176 Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckth1043 View Post
I don't have the answers to your questions, but I would like to ask how long you have had your MDR867?

I have had it for about a year. I bought it as a refurbished unit to replace an MDR515 that was "losing its memory." I really like it and hope to keep it running, since I don't think there's anything out there that has anything close to the same set of features, including the multiple inputs.
post #1067 of 1176 Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 AM

I agree. I bought mine new in March of 2017. I hope someone can answer your questions.

Quote:
I have had it for about a year. I bought it as a refurbished unit to replace an MDR515 that was "losing its memory." I really like it and hope to keep it running, since I don't think there's anything out there that has anything close to the same set of features, including the multiple inputs.
post #1068 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Questions:

Thanks!
This was posted last year. Don't know if it works as I never have had to use the format function:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...l#post56333370

First, you could initialize the hard drive which is found on p. 65 of the manual. It also mentions formatting but not sure if it's different than above:

https://www.magnavox.com/qc/blu-ray-...win-tuner.html

For the manual, look under support documents.
post #1069 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
This was posted last year. Don't know if it works as I never have had to use the format function:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...l#post56333370

First, you could initialize the hard drive which is found on p. 65 of the manual. It also mentions formatting but not sure if it's different than above:

https://www.magnavox.com/qc/blu-ray-...win-tuner.html

For the manual, look under support documents.
Thanks for the link to the formatting skip codes. I'll give it a try if it becomes necessary.
post #1070 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the formatting skip codes. I'll give it a try if it becomes necessary.
You're welcome. One other thing to consider is if it is only happening on certain channels, it may be the antenna and/or setup. I know that since I have an amplifier on mine, I have to keep the attenuation turned on so as not to overload the signal. Also, the tuner is not as sensitive as my Sony tv so I could be watching a program on the Sony tuner while recording on the Magnavox and not realize that the signal might not be as good as I thought. When the signal drops out, it pauses the recording so that would give you a choppy sort of result.
post #1071 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. One other thing to consider is if it is only happening on certain channels, it may be the antenna and/or setup. I know that since I have an amplifier on mine, I have to keep the attenuation turned on so as not to overload the signal. Also, the tuner is not as sensitive as my Sony tv so I could be watching a program on the Sony tuner while recording on the Magnavox and not realize that the signal might not be as good as I thought. When the signal drops out, it pauses the recording so that would give you a choppy sort of result.
This happens to me too: the signal will be fine on the TV and not on the Magnavox. However, the day after Bayou Bill posted, the sound began stuttering in one particular place on the recording and it was not my impression that it was the result of a poor signal. I'll have to keep watching and see.
post #1072 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Yes, I've noticed that. I think I may have had a bad amplifier on my antenna. I removed it and the signal strengths improved and the dropouts decreased, but not entirely.
post #1073 of 1176 Old 01-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckth1043 View Post
This happens to me too: the signal will be fine on the TV and not on the Magnavox. However, the day after Bayou Bill posted, the sound began stuttering in one particular place on the recording and it was not my impression that it was the result of a poor signal. I'll have to keep watching and see.

Thanks. Looks like I'm not the only one with the problem.
post #1074 of 1176 Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I've noticed that. I think I may have had a bad amplifier on my antenna. I removed it and the signal strengths improved and the dropouts decreased, but not entirely.
You want to check the signal strength as well and see how it changes with the amplifier and without. Is the attenuator on or off? That can have a big impact. If you're not using an amplifier, I would leave attenuation off as the tuner is not as sensitive as it could be but if you're not too far from the tv towers, it shouldn't matter too much.
post #1075 of 1176 Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like I'm not the only one with the problem.
It didn't happen at all yesterday, so I guess it was just a signal issue rather than a problem with the hard drive.
post #1076 of 1176 Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Skip-ahead glitch on 867

My Magnavox 867H (bought new Aug. 2017) has developed a frustrating glitch with its skip-ahead function (the double-triangle+bar button to the right of the red Pause TV button).

When trying to skip ahead, the recorder jumps the appropriate interval, then pauses for a second or two, and dumps out of the recording and back to the titles screen. When playback resumes, it's at the beginning of the title.

Changing the skip interval doesn't change the behavior. It's present in playback on both on the internal drive (HDD) and the external drive (SSD, which I added just to check whether this was a problem with the original HDD).

Neither does it matter whether I use the original remote or my Logitech 650 programmable, the commands for which are delivered from Logitech, and not programmed remote-to-remote.

The 867's software reports itself as up-to-date (v. 1.00.15), and automatic updating via wifi is turned on. I can't tell when that update was applied — but because the skip-ahead problem appeared in just the last few weeks, I wonder whether an update may have introduced a problem with how that command is handled in the device.

Any evidence pro or con is welcome, as well as all suggestions about other possible sources for the glitch. Thanks much ...
post #1077 of 1176 Old 01-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnrrs View Post
My Magnavox 867H (bought new Aug. 2017) has developed a frustrating glitch with its skip-ahead function (the double-triangle+bar button to the right of the red Pause TV button).

When trying to skip ahead, the recorder jumps the appropriate interval, then pauses for a second or two, and dumps out of the recording and back to the titles screen. When playback resumes, it's at the beginning of the title.

Changing the skip interval doesn't change the behavior. It's present in playback on both on the internal drive (HDD) and the external drive (SSD, which I added just to check whether this was a problem with the original HDD).

Neither does it matter whether I use the original remote or my Logitech 650 programmable, the commands for which are delivered from Logitech, and not programmed remote-to-remote.

The 867's software reports itself as up-to-date (v. 1.00.15), and automatic updating via wifi is turned on. I can't tell when that update was applied — but because the skip-ahead problem appeared in just the last few weeks, I wonder whether an update may have introduced a problem with how that command is handled in the device.

Any evidence pro or con is welcome, as well as all suggestions about other possible sources for the glitch. Thanks much ...

All I have is first try a reboot pull the plug and wait at lease 10 seconds and plug it back in again. Probably won't help but worth a try.
post #1078 of 1176 Old 01-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnrrs View Post

That button is NOT the skip ahead button, it's the chapter/title skip!

The skip/replay buttons are on the circle, either side of the OK button.
These can be programmed for whatever time you wish in the options.

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer
post #1079 of 1176 Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post
That button is NOT the skip ahead button, it's the chapter/title skip!

The skip/replay buttons are on the circle, either side of the OK button.
These can be programmed for whatever time you wish in the options.
B-I-N-G-O, bravo & thanks, orrin1933. This is why it's always a good idea to include as much specific info as possible about a problem, so someone can see your (my!) obvious mistake.

Apparently I triggered this issue by cloning a new Logitech remote to control the 867 and other devices associated with it.

Logitech usually does a good job of mapping commands, but in this instance they mapped Chapter Forward and Chapter Back to the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons, and tagged them as SkipForward and SkipBack. To correct the issue, I used the original remote and the Logitech to send corrected commands to my Logitech database; created new commands ChapterFwd and ChapterBack; and assigned them to auxiliary buttons (since ordinarily I don't use them).

Now everything works as expected, and I just have to figure out how cloning one remote's commands to another created the issue. In my spare time, of course.
post #1080 of 1176 Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Angry Cannot export the HD video from HDD

It seems that none of these will let you export the files on the internal or external HDD to your PC.

All of them, just like the 5xx series will make a DVD that will work on a PC or any DVD player. But DVD is SD quality, not HD.

This is 2019 and and everything is HD or 4K.

These models are the first to record from the tuner in HD, but not a PC format like NTFS. As soon as you connect external HDD, this unit
will format it wiping everything out.

Then you start recording HD programs from the tuner only since there is no HD input of any kind. Svideo is SD and that can record as well.

Now you have an external HDD of HD videos you may want to keep on PC. But once you connect that HDD to PC, PC wants to format it, wiping
out all data. So it's not possible to export your HD recordings since that HDD will only play on this unit.

Then they tell you to backup your recordings. The options are external drive or DVD. External drive can only play on this unit and DVD is not HD.

It seems they stopped making these 5 years ago since no more demand. If you are happy with DVD, these are great I agree.
But cannot export anything from the HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page