A few weeks ago the remote for my unit got soaked by a liquid spill (again) and stopped working properly, even after drying out and cleaning. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I tried numerous ways to resurrect the original one that was compromised this way, so I had acquired a replacement (the latest victim). It's incredibly difficult to get the remote's shell apart (and using the necessary force with a prying tool can damage the hook-shaped edges on those shell halves), but even when the interior parts are gently cleaned with a Q-tip and contact cleaner used on the board should have cleaned whatever contaminants were left, the subsequent function isn't reliable -- it seems that whatever electrolytic material is used for the contact points between the bottom side of those exterior buttons and circuit board is somewhat water-soluble, and repair attempts by application of an appropriate electrolytic material for repairing such contact points is ultimately fruitless.
So, I again ordered a replacement remote (actually 2 this time, both badged as "Magnavox") from the same eBay vendor which I'd gotten the first replacement. Since their arrival though, I've had no success in getting it to work with my unit as I can't get the proper code synchronization -- since I have one of the earlier Magnovox models which must use code "1" (hardwired and not user-changeable), I'm trying to have the new replacement(s) and the newer Maggie use code "2" (as the unit was set to function prior to the recent spill) which enables me to use both the older and newer units and their different remotes simultaneously without conflict. The unit recognizes the replacement as using the wrong code and displays the relevant message on-screen, but does not seem to recognize the simultaneous pressing of the "OK" and "2" buttons -- just regenerates the same on-screen error message. The same behavior applies to both of the new replacements, and while there are some functions I can perform manually via the front-panel controls, without a functioning remote most of those functions are inaccessible.
I did not experience this problem with the original replacement, and remember I did get the proper code synchronized in relatively straightforward manner. However, it's been a couple of years since then and perhaps I've not performed the synchronization process correctly -- don't think that's the case, but it also seems unlikely there would be a general manufacturing defect in both replacements that would produce such a failure. The manual is not so helpful but does suggest using a cellphone or camera to verify that the remote does push out an IR signal, and I have confirmed that both do with my iPhone.
In frustration, I'm posting this to the forum in hopes that someone with more depth of experience on these models can either (snarkily or not) point out where I've gone wrong in the synchronization procedure, or identify some other way(s) to accomplish the required code-matching task that would enable full function and regain utility of the newer model.