Mag MDR865, 867, 868 HD DVRs w/DVD Burners, Line Inputs, Editing, Rec Modes, USB 3.0 - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #1201 of 1226 Old 02-18-2020, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi y'all, it's been a while. My beloved dual tuner 1T unit has started making a buzzy humming every time it is active. Has anyone experienced this? So far, it has not seemed to impact operations. I am hoping it is the fan and not the hard drive. Has anyone replaced the fan?

If the hard drive goes kaput, can I just use an external hard drive in place of it, or does the machine's internal hard drive need to be functioning to use an external?

...I am not a techie, so excuse if I sound like a moron!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1226 Old 02-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2015 View Post
The Magnavox unit seems to be gone from the marketplace, but ABC Warehouse is selling a refurbed Philips recorder, HDR5710/F7N. Reviews seem to be mixed at best, including the ones in a separate thread on this site. But it wouldn't have to be very sophisticated for basic recording and time-shifting. Anybody have any experience with this? How does it compare to the Magnavox?
https://www.abcwarehouse.com/philips...video-recorder
If you are still interested and would consider some sort of a "manufacturer" refurb unit, there's someone selling such an MDR865 for $600 through Amazon, found at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR8.../dp/B015FOZCUS
post #1203 of 1226 Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
mmthmas I think your best bet would be to call the station and ask to speak to the engineer. Tell him or her the issue and see what they think.
Did that. They have no idea. Say they do not scramble any of the digital signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1226 Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmthmas View Post
Did that. They have no idea. Say they do not scramble any of the digital signals.
Research over a few weeks shows that the pausing when recording is "related" to the HDMI interface to the TV set. The "scrambled" error box is a TV generated error from the TV set itself; I think the state of the HDMI signalling through DVR output HDMI to the TV HDMI input not robust. Probably different HDMI feature level differences. I have been pause free if I unplug the DVR every day and reboot the system when plugging in the power cord.

And I do not get recording pausing if the TV set if powered off when recording,
post #1205 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 09:58 AM

A few weeks ago the remote for my unit got soaked by a liquid spill (again) and stopped working properly, even after drying out and cleaning. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I tried numerous ways to resurrect the original one that was compromised this way, so I had acquired a replacement (the latest victim). It's incredibly difficult to get the remote's shell apart (and using the necessary force with a prying tool can damage the hook-shaped edges on those shell halves), but even when the interior parts are gently cleaned with a Q-tip and contact cleaner used on the board should have cleaned whatever contaminants were left, the subsequent function isn't reliable -- it seems that whatever electrolytic material is used for the contact points between the bottom side of those exterior buttons and circuit board is somewhat water-soluble, and repair attempts by application of an appropriate electrolytic material for repairing such contact points is ultimately fruitless.

So, I again ordered a replacement remote (actually 2 this time, both badged as "Magnavox") from the same eBay vendor which I'd gotten the first replacement. Since their arrival though, I've had no success in getting it to work with my unit as I can't get the proper code synchronization -- since I have one of the earlier Magnovox models which must use code "1" (hardwired and not user-changeable), I'm trying to have the new replacement(s) and the newer Maggie use code "2" (as the unit was set to function prior to the recent spill) which enables me to use both the older and newer units and their different remotes simultaneously without conflict. The unit recognizes the replacement as using the wrong code and displays the relevant message on-screen, but does not seem to recognize the simultaneous pressing of the "OK" and "2" buttons -- just regenerates the same on-screen error message. The same behavior applies to both of the new replacements, and while there are some functions I can perform manually via the front-panel controls, without a functioning remote most of those functions are inaccessible.

I did not experience this problem with the original replacement, and remember I did get the proper code synchronized in relatively straightforward manner. However, it's been a couple of years since then and perhaps I've not performed the synchronization process correctly -- don't think that's the case, but it also seems unlikely there would be a general manufacturing defect in both replacements that would produce such a failure. The manual is not so helpful but does suggest using a cellphone or camera to verify that the remote does push out an IR signal, and I have confirmed that both do with my iPhone.

In frustration, I'm posting this to the forum in hopes that someone with more depth of experience on these models can either (snarkily or not) point out where I've gone wrong in the synchronization procedure, or identify some other way(s) to accomplish the required code-matching task that would enable full function and regain utility of the newer model.
post #1206 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 10:33 AM

The Harmony 665 remote has a database of thousands of remotes. Mine works with the 868. Setting it up requires connection to a pc and internet access. Battery life is less than a "standard" remote.
post #1207 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The Harmony 665 remote has a database of thousands of remotes. Mine works with the 868. Setting it up requires connection to a pc and internet access. Battery life is less than a "standard" remote.
Thanks - it's an option I've considered before, and might again but right now I'm focused on trying to figure out why the OEM versions aren't syncing.
post #1208 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Research over a few weeks shows that the pausing when recording is "related" to the HDMI interface to the TV set. The "scrambled" error box is a TV generated error from the TV set itself; I think the state of the HDMI signalling through DVR output HDMI to the TV HDMI input not robust. Probably different HDMI feature level differences. I have been pause free if I unplug the DVR every day and reboot the system when plugging in the power cord.

And I do not get recording pausing if the TV set if powered off when recording,
If you think it is the HDMI connection, then try turning off the fun-Link (CEC) HDMI connection which is found on p. 55 in the manual. On the DVR, it is under Settings/General Settings/HDMI. Turning it off means that when you turn on the Magnavox, the tv will not turn itself on by itself (unless already on) and switch to the correct input. I have never seen this behavior but anything is possible. What brand of tv do you have?
post #1209 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
A few weeks ago the remote for my unit got soaked by a liquid spill (again) and stopped working properly, even after drying out and cleaning. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I tried numerous ways to resurrect the original one that was compromised this way, so I had acquired a replacement (the latest victim). It's incredibly difficult to get the remote's shell apart (and using the necessary force with a prying tool can damage the hook-shaped edges on those shell halves), but even when the interior parts are gently cleaned with a Q-tip and contact cleaner used on the board should have cleaned whatever contaminants were left, the subsequent function isn't reliable -- it seems that whatever electrolytic material is used for the contact points between the bottom side of those exterior buttons and circuit board is somewhat water-soluble, and repair attempts by application of an appropriate electrolytic material for repairing such contact points is ultimately fruitless.

So, I again ordered a replacement remote (actually 2 this time, both badged as "Magnavox") from the same eBay vendor which I'd gotten the first replacement. Since their arrival though, I've had no success in getting it to work with my unit as I can't get the proper code synchronization -- since I have one of the earlier Magnovox models which must use code "1" (hardwired and not user-changeable), I'm trying to have the new replacement(s) and the newer Maggie use code "2" (as the unit was set to function prior to the recent spill) which enables me to use both the older and newer units and their different remotes simultaneously without conflict. The unit recognizes the replacement as using the wrong code and displays the relevant message on-screen, but does not seem to recognize the simultaneous pressing of the "OK" and "2" buttons -- just regenerates the same on-screen error message. The same behavior applies to both of the new replacements, and while there are some functions I can perform manually via the front-panel controls, without a functioning remote most of those functions are inaccessible.

I did not experience this problem with the original replacement, and remember I did get the proper code synchronized in relatively straightforward manner. However, it's been a couple of years since then and perhaps I've not performed the synchronization process correctly -- don't think that's the case, but it also seems unlikely there would be a general manufacturing defect in both replacements that would produce such a failure. The manual is not so helpful but does suggest using a cellphone or camera to verify that the remote does push out an IR signal, and I have confirmed that both do with my iPhone.

In frustration, I'm posting this to the forum in hopes that someone with more depth of experience on these models can either (snarkily or not) point out where I've gone wrong in the synchronization procedure, or identify some other way(s) to accomplish the required code-matching task that would enable full function and regain utility of the newer model.
Your problem reminds me of some time back when I switched out a Sony receiver with a newer Sony and wanted to continue to use the touchscreen remote that came with the old one. As it turned out, the setting was in the remote somewhere and was not able to be changed on the receiver. It took a bit of time to figure it out but most functions work with the new receiver.

In your case after checking the manual, it appears that you can select one of three codes. This is found on p. 58. On the DVR, it is under Settings/General Settings/Others/Remote Control and then select the one which hopefully will work. Since you said some features work, maybe it can at least select that code so you can be back in business.
post #1210 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have one of those Harmony units as well but you do have to connect to the internet to set it up. But for hard to find remotes, it can be a lifesaver as it seems to have a wealth of codes available. I mainly use an old Sony touchscreen as it has a few macro modes and learning so that gives me three extra devices and since the tv and receiver are Sony, the standard codes for those from over twenty years ago still work.
post #1211 of 1226 Old 02-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
What brand of tv do you have?
Samsung 40" 2008 or so. I should test with a different TV, but I don't have a new or small one.
post #1212 of 1226 Old 02-28-2020, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Samsung 40" 2008 or so. I should test with a different TV, but I don't have a new or small one.
It could be the tv as various manufacturers can implement the HDMI CEC control differently. I had a Philips DVD player some time ago with the same tv I have now (Sony). Normally, with the CEC on when you turn on the unit, it will turn on the tv and switch to the correct HDMI input. I realized that whatever the Philips did when it turned itself on, it did something to the whole HDMI chain so that my other devices would not turn on automatically after using the Philips and neither would any devices the next time after powering down. Once I took the Philips unit out of the setup, all worked fine. So it was only by experimentation and some luck that I realized which component was causing the issue.

As I said before, first I would turn off the HDMI control in the Settings menu and see if that helps your problem since you don't have another tv to try. I hope that works for you.
post #1213 of 1226 Old 03-08-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
first I would turn off the HDMI control in the Settings menu and see if that helps your problem since you don't have another tv to try. I hope that works for you.
After turning off the the "CEC" HDMI control in the Mag DVR I have not had any pausing during record for 10 days. Samsung calls the feature "Anynet". It is somewhat less convenient to manually switch the video input than having the various HDMI devices switch to their input on power up.

I do have continuing intermittent problems on playback freezing when using high speed playback on the DVR. This was happening before, as well. Which makes me think there is a HDMI incompatibility, not just the CEC.

Eventually I will get a new TV; but the DVR could have incompatibility with it as well.

I guess the DVR is the newer device, and I never had a problem with the older Mag DVR, so I blame the 868 DVR.

Thanks for the great troubleshooting help.
jkeldo likes this.
post #1214 of 1226 Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After turning off the the "CEC" HDMI control in the Mag DVR I have not had any pausing during record for 10 days. Samsung calls the feature "Anynet". It is somewhat less convenient to manually switch the video input than having the various HDMI devices switch to their input on power up.

I do have continuing intermittent problems on playback freezing when using high speed playback on the DVR. This was happening before, as well. Which makes me think there is a HDMI incompatibility, not just the CEC.

Eventually I will get a new TV; but the DVR could have incompatibility with it as well.

I guess the DVR is the newer device, and I never had a problem with the older Mag DVR, so I blame the 868 DVR.

Thanks for the great troubleshooting help.
Glad to hear that the original freezing issue stopped. It's hard to figure out these problems sometimes and I don't think it always matters that the brands are different although that could be the case. I don't use the high speed playback so I have no information on that.

The Magnavox are still great units and are the last of their kind it seems so if it still works like mine does, I would be happy.
post #1215 of 1226 Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My beloved Magnavox MDR867h has difficulty to play inner track of CD and DVD even those DVD it made by itself. The HDD part is still fully functional. Also it can no longer make new DVD because the DVD recorder is dying. Is there a way I can replace DVD recorder part? I have opened it up to replace the fuse before. But replacing DVD recorder is a bigger challenge. Thanks for your input.

I have replaced many dvd-rw/rom on my laptop before.
post #1216 of 1226 Old 04-02-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
The pausing is not related to signal strength. It happens with rabbit ears or amplified outdoor antenna.

I notice the red recording indicator along with the pause symbol (vertical parallel bars) appear on the TV screen while the recording is blanked(paused). This would indicate the pause function in the recorder is being activated.

What could cause recording to be auto-paused?

It is related to signal strength IMO. I have recorded hundreds of programs. Recording from strong signal stations, one hour programs always has one hour recording. But on weaker stations, one hour could be only 39 minutes, 45 minutes, or 57 minutes. On rainy or snowy days that signals are scrambled (I also watch live), it could be as short as 25 minutes for example.
post #1217 of 1226 Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 AM

The model discussion 'bible' on the initial page of this thread has bare mention of the "reset" button, and so far I have been unable to find any search hits in the thread which clarifies just what occurs when that "hard reset" action is undertaken -- is the action simply a reset-to-default for all of the user settings, or would it also reformat the hard drive on a MDR867H?

Last edited by jhvance; 04-03-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #1218 of 1226 Old 04-06-2020, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post
My beloved Magnavox MDR867h has difficulty to play inner track of CD and DVD even those DVD it made by itself. The HDD part is still fully functional. Also it can no longer make new DVD because the DVD recorder is dying. Is there a way I can replace DVD recorder part? I have opened it up to replace the fuse before. But replacing DVD recorder is a bigger challenge. Thanks for your input.

I have replaced many dvd-rw/rom on my laptop before.
Have you ever been successful in dubbing from the HDD to the DVD?
If not try a different brand to DVD disks. See the User Manual.

Have you tried cleaning the DVD with a cleaning disk? If not try it. Also a can of compressed air blown into the DVD drive might also do the trick.

If that doesn't work and you need to replace the drive, replace it with one that has the the same sticker on the back of the drive. It should be N78F0GUN. Good luck finding one.

I had an 865 and an 867 and they are really not good at Dubbing from HDD to DVD.
The HDD records in various modes of HD (High Definition) and the DVD records in SD (standard Definition). And a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours to dub it to a DVD.

You might try recording a program in SD to the HDD and then dubbing it to the DVD.

If you're lucky, it just needs a cleaning
post #1219 of 1226 Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_peele View Post
Have you ever been successful in dubbing from the HDD to the DVD?
If not try a different brand to DVD disks. See the User Manual.

Have you tried cleaning the DVD with a cleaning disk? If not try it. Also a can of compressed air blown into the DVD drive might also do the trick.

If that doesn't work and you need to replace the drive, replace it with one that has the the same sticker on the back of the drive. It should be N78F0GUN. Good luck finding one.

I had an 865 and an 867 and they are really not good at Dubbing from HDD to DVD.
The HDD records in various modes of HD (High Definition) and the DVD records in SD (standard Definition). And a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours to dub it to a DVD.

You might try recording a program in SD to the HDD and then dubbing it to the DVD.

If you're lucky, it just needs a cleaning
In the past, after cleaning the head which is always what I did first, the DVD recorder went back to act normally. But this time, it is really dead.
post #1220 of 1226 Old 05-22-2020, 01:58 PM

Not much activity in this topic of late, so here is some (unhappy) news -- Magnavox no longer has any online support webpages for their DVR units, just the blu-ray players and other consumer items. If you go to the support page there's just a search box with the statement below -- searching for the MDR867/F7 generates a 404 error, so it appears this forum thread represents what users must rely on for any insight and support:
"
Please be advised that this page provides only support for products purchased AFTER 2008.

post #1221 of 1226 Old 05-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not much activity in this topic of late, so here is some (unhappy) news -- Magnavox no longer has any online support webpages for their DVR units, just the blu-ray players and other consumer items. If you go to the support page there's just a search box with the statement below -- searching for the MDR867/F7 generates a 404 error, so it appears this forum thread represents what users must rely on for any insight and support:
"
Please be advised that this page provides only support for products purchased AFTER 2008.

The support page is still there:

https://www.magnavox.com/en/blu-ray-...win-tuner.html

It appears that their own search function is not working well.
jhvance likes this.
post #1222 of 1226 Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The support page is still there:

https://www.magnavox.com/en/blu-ray-...win-tuner.html

It appears that their own search function is not working well.
Thank you, very much! The cynic in me would simplify your comment from "search function" to "support function" as more generally accurate.

Now, at least I can wrestle with their online chat folks to see whether I can get my question about the backside "reset" button answered definitively.
jkeldo likes this.
post #1223 of 1226 Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you, very much! The cynic in me would simplify your comment from "search function" to "support function" as more generally accurate.

Now, at least I can wrestle with their online chat folks to see whether I can get my question about the backside "reset" button answered definitively.
Good luck with the online chat. But you are right about the lack of support since they aren't showing the DVR products where the bluray players are.

For those who need the manuals or firmware updaters, I would download them as soon as possible before the link disappears as who knows what Magnavox might change on the web site.
post #1224 of 1226 Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Good luck with the online chat. But you are right about the lack of support since they aren't showing the DVR products where the bluray players are.

For those who need the manuals or firmware updaters, I would download them as soon as possible before the link disappears as who knows what Magnavox might change on the web site.
I have not (yet, at any rate) executed the rear-panel "reset" button, but according to the person with whom I had the technical chat a few days ago (after taking a few minutes to 'check further' on my specific query regarding its function relative to reformat of the HDD) doing so will NOT reformat the drive, just return the UI settings to factory default -- something reaffirmed in my explicit follow-up confirmation query. So unless I was getting totally dissed, I guess I'll see how truthful the assertion might be if I just cannot get the new replacement remote to re-sync on the channel 2 setting in the DVR established before the other remote got farkled.
post #1225 of 1226 Old 06-25-2020, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Refurbished Magnavox HD DVR / DVD Recorder with HD Digital Twin Tuner MDR868H/F7

MDR868H very few qty by Funai Service

https://certified-direct.com/hdd-mdr868h-recorder.html
artisticimaging likes this.

Last edited by Blu-Reyes; 06-25-2020 at 12:37 PM.
post #1226 of 1226 Old 06-25-2020, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Original remotes replacements

Here are links for the original remote not a knock off one. Both of them are listed on eBay.com

NC003UD-https://www.ebay.com/itm/153983348691

MDR515H/F7, MDR533H/F7, RMDR533H/F7, MDR535H/F7,
RMDR535H/F7, MDR537H/F7, RMDR537H/F7, RMDR515H/F7
RMDR513H/F7, H2160MW9, H2160MW9A, MDR557H/F7

NC266UH-https://www.ebay.com/itm/152726456241
MDR865H/F7 MDR867H/F7 MDR868H/F7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page