*** Official - Tivo: Bolt *** - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #421 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
The new grid is very easy to read when your resolution is set properly. Go into your settings on the Tivo and set the video to 1080i or 1080p and uncheck the other resolutions. This will make the grid display correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The new grid is very easy to read when your resolution is set properly. Go into your settings on the Tivo and set the video to 1080i or 1080p and uncheck the other resolutions. This will make the grid display correctly.

Wow, thank goodness I stuck with TE3! That looks primitive at best.
post #423 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Primitive is watching live TV. I couldn't imagine going back to using the HDUI anymore. And I don't mind the hydra guide because I'm not watching live TV or I use the search function to find most things. 99% of what I watch is recorded content. But I also have over 300 One Passes between my two Bolts on cable. Plus over 100 One Passes on my Roamio Basic on OTA. So I always have something to watch depending on the mood I'm in.
dturturro likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Here's TE3 for comparison. Note the huge amount of wasted space. Giant Tivo guy adds zero value. Clock takes up a line all by itself. Guide control hints take up a whole 2 lines, one of which is completely empty. Dead space around channel numbers/logos is gigantic. Video window is smaller and has redundant channel banner.

If you actually think about it for more than 5 seconds, the new guide is bigger, better, smarter and displays data much more efficiently. Each program has a very clear border, making it easier for your eyes to follow across rows and columns. These aren't subjective opinions.

If you simply don't like the way it looks, that's fair. But I would hardly call efficiency primitive.

In any case, the old interface is going to stay just the way it is forever. The new one will continue to improve.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-09-2018 at 04:32 PM.
post #425 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Here's TE3 for comparison . . .
If you actually think about it for more than 5 seconds, the new guide is bigger, better, smarter and displays data much more efficiently.
Really??
I count 8 lines of 2hr listings for both guides. In my eyes that is a wash and neither presents more useful information than the other. The rest is just a persons preference for window dressing. Now, had the TE4 interface used its additional space to add a few more lines of listing . . . well, that would have been significant.
dturturro and slowbiscuit like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #426 of 498 Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Really??
I count 8 lines of 2hr listings for both guides. In my eyes that is a wash and neither presents more useful information than the other. The rest is just a persons preference for window dressing. Now, had the TE4 interface used its additional space to add a few more lines of listing . . . well, that would have been significant.
The old interface is also a much lower resolution.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #427 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I might as well add my observations. Right after the Bolt was released, TiVo made an effort for use the same software for the Premiere, Roamio and Bolt. It made Premiere users unhappy since TiVo didn't code for the differences in hardware. The result was a very bright display from a Premiere. When TE4 was released, the brightness was lowered but the font was improved (thinner). Some found it harder to read, especially at a distance. I have a Premiere, Roamio TE3 and Roamio TE4 all feeding the same (calibrated) Sony TV. I have always used the grid guide, so loss of the Live Guide was not on my radar. I still find the guide on TE3 easier to read on a smaller size TV in a room with average lighting. For marketing, you always see a 65" TV wall mounted in a somewhat dim room. I see the ads for Dish, DirecTV, and Xfinity and all those guides have the "look" of TE4. As was posted, it's the content that matters not the utilities.

Just as day follows night, after an upgrade special new eyeballs post their likes and dislikes. Most of the comments are repeats of what was posted the last time there was an upgrade special. It's been that way for many years.

One last point. My cable feed has 400 channels. I pay for about 200. My guide "Favorites" has 20 channels. My channel list has 40 channels (who wants to scroll past QVC?). I don't use suggestions.
post #428 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Really??
Really.There's at least 25% dead space in the old interface. And as I said, unimportant things get way too much space in the old one as well. Something that utilizes all available space is much more readable to me.

In any case, they DID have 10 or 11 lines briefly. I loved it, but people complained they couldn't read it, so they went back to 8. Just goes to show you can't please everyone, or anyone at all in the case of Hydra.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #429 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In my eyes that is a wash and neither presents more useful information than the other.
With TE4 you get more, mostly useless, description above the guide. On a slower Roamio, it can cause a significant slowdown when scrolling between programs. Just compare the speed when moving through a channel with little information and one with a lot (especially movies). On the other side, I seldom need to hit Info to see the important part of the descriptions. Since the Rovi change, the programs come with a lot more fluff.
post #430 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think I will stay away from the roll back procedure for now (it could be too much for me to do); and just pray maybe TiVo in time will improve the grid to at least be more like the Premiere.

I am still getting use to the new UI and still have a lot to learn. Maybe in 6 months I will be use to it LOL
post #431 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
When TE4 Hydra came out I waited a while until the bugs were addressed and people reported a stable interface. Then I figured I would go with the flow and put it on my Roamio's & Mini. After about 2 weeks I couldn't stand it any more and rolled back to TE3. The new window dressing aside, what kills Hydra for me is the total reliance on the "back" button to do all the things I used to intuitively do with the left arrow key. I used to be able to navigate everywhere in the UI without taking my thumb off the arrow keypad. Now I had to keep looking at the remote to find the back button -- I just could not get used to that, so I bailed. Others obviously feel differently. To each his own.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #432 of 498 Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post
... just pray maybe TiVo in time will improve the grid to at least be more like the Premiere...
The consensus seems to be that both show EXACTLY the same information. I'm curious what exactly you would change and why we would need God to get involved in reconciling 2 slightly different Tivo screens when there's plenty of war, disease and famine to keep him busy.
post #433 of 498 Old 10-25-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Well I finally got my white Bolt up and running, all I can say is YUCH!
Nothing is the way it was before, I just simply can't stand it. Is this Hydra? If so, how do I turn it off and make my Bolt UI look like my Roamio or HD before that?
I looked back through several pages of this thread and read about rolling back the UI but no explanation of how I'd go about it.
Looking into my System information it says:
Software Version 21.8.2 is this Hydra and more importantly, how do I turn it off and make it like my older Tivos?
post #434 of 498 Old 10-25-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If so, how do I turn it off and make my Bolt UI look like my Roamio or HD before that?
Software Version 21.8.2 is this Hydra and more importantly, how do I turn it off and make it like my older Tivos?
https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...nis-v1.554653/
Works for Bolt too. It is a complete wipe.

Sadly, while in RF mode, every time you hit that voice button it will ask you if you want to upgrade to TE4. I find a regular non-voice remote is better.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 10-25-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #435 of 498 Old 10-27-2018, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...nis-v1.554653/
Works for Bolt too. It is a complete wipe.

Sadly, while in RF mode, every time you hit that voice button it will ask you if you want to upgrade to TE4. I find a regular non-voice remote is better.
Thanks, worked like a charm! Now my Bolt works just as good as my Roamio or HD before that
I'm not using nor plan on using any voice commands, if that what VOX is I don't believe my Bolt has that feature. When I went to order it the VOX Tivo was out of stock so I ended up with a VOX-less white Bolt. While I wasn't sure about the white at first, I now like the white peanut remote, it's easy to distinguish from my black Romaio remote on the same table.
Oh when I eventually upsize the HDD on my Bolt will I need to do the downgrade thing again or is it a one time thing?
post #436 of 498 Old 10-27-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Thanks, worked like a charm! Now my Bolt works just as good as my Roamio or HD before that
I'm not using nor plan on using any voice commands, if that what VOX is I don't believe my Bolt has that feature. When I went to order it the VOX Tivo was out of stock so I ended up with a VOX-less white Bolt. While I wasn't sure about the white at first, I now like the white peanut remote, it's easy to distinguish from my black Romaio remote on the same table.
Oh when I eventually upsize the HDD on my Bolt will I need to do the downgrade thing again or is it a one time thing?
Nice that it worked out. A Bolt should be a little faster. If the voice button isn't working, the remote is probably in IR mode. If you are ok with that, don't spend time getting RF mode to work.

I have no experience in adding a larger hard drive to a Bolt. Plenty of posts about that on TCF.
post #437 of 498 Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 677
I posted this over at Video Processors forum, re Lumagen Radiance Pro, which I use with my Sony VPL-VW5000ES projector in my theatre room. I just added a TIVO Bolt OTA. If anyone can advise re the issues I'm having feel free. My Radiance Pro video processor handles up to and including incoming 4k 60p frame rates fine with all other sources (Apple TV 4k, Oppo 205 4k player). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Does anyone have experience with a TIVO Bolt OTA with the Lumagen Radiance Pro?

I like the Bolt because you can set video output to output native rate 720p and 1080i of your OTA local HD channels.

I also set the Bolt to video output 4k 24/30/60p per native content frame rate. This works for Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. I tried it for the Youtube app, which I've read outputs in 4k, but it will only output in 1080 On Youtube there's some 4k 60p HDR video. I set the Bolt to video output everything in 4k 60, also tried "Auto", but again the Youtube 4k video output in 1080p only.

Is this anything to do with the Radiance Pro and needing a firmware upgrade? Or just TIVO sucks on this? Note that from what I can see thanks to Radiance Pro's info screen Bolt will not output any HDR.

Frankly, not a problem for me really, because I am using an Apple TV 4k for 4k and 4k HDR streaming anyway at least on Netflix and Amazon Prime. But Apple TV 4k is not 4k for Youtube and the TIVO Bolt supposedly is.

And when I set the Bolt to output only 4k 60p, where its supposed to scale everything to that rate, the Radiance Pro info screen shows its receiving only 1080p from the Bolt regardless of whether its Amazon Prime, Netflix 4k video or Youtube 4k video. What gives? Isn't the Bolt supposed to recognize the Radiance Pro is 4k 60p cable and output that rate to the Radiance Pro (I have the 18 Gb output cards for the Radiance Pro and its set
to output 4k 60p when it receives that video signal).

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #438 of 498 Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Has anyone tried using the TiVo on their OLED TV app or other within the same network, or is it not possible? May have to use a TiVo mini for this.
post #439 of 498 Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Has anyone tried using the TiVo on their OLED TV app or other within the same network, or is it not possible? May have to use a TiVo mini for this.
I'm not following. You have a Tivo app on your TV? What app are you talking about?
post #440 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First I tried to use slingTV connecting it to the TiVo, but like most companies they like minimal or secure ports. So no composite or component outputs on TiVo. Until I move the TiVo, I was hoping to access it in another room with some app. But I do not think this is possible without a mini.
post #441 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
First I tried to use slingTV connecting it to the TiVo, but like most companies they like minimal or secure ports. So no composite or component outputs on TiVo. Until I move the TiVo, I was hoping to access it in another room with some app. But I do not think this is possible without a mini.
Well, Mini DOES have component and composite, but that doesn't really help you unless you already have a Mini. Some slingboxes have HDMI inputs which you could use if you add an HDMI splitter.

It would be awkward to control, but you could use a laptop connected to your TV via HDMI and Tivo Online.

If you can wait a couple more months, you can use the new Tivo app on Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV in lieu of a Mini. But it's not been released to the public yet.
post #442 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, Mini DOES have component and composite, but that doesn't really help you unless you already have a Mini. Some slingboxes have HDMI inputs which you could use if you add an HDMI splitter.

It would be awkward to control, but you could use a laptop connected to your TV via HDMI and Tivo Online.

If you can wait a couple more months, you can use the new Tivo app on Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV in lieu of a Mini. But it's not been released to the public yet.

TiVo app on Roku would be heaven! I've heard it was coming and I also heard people debunking this thought that Roku would never get TiVo. Hope to see it soon. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #443 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hope to see it soon.
From CES: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...#post-11696154
post #444 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^. Thanks.
post #445 of 498 Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading some of the linked posts, it looks like no extra fees, no dongle needed but we loose skip forward functionality. I'll still take it.
post #446 of 498 Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
I have a TiVo Bolt and keep getting and error playing Netflix (tvq-pm-100 (5.2.12) ) and can't stream anything on the box. I have a Roku Ultra that streams perfectly in the same rack running through the same router. I've rebooted the box to no effect and it seems the only way to fix this is to completely reset the box and erase all my recordings. Anyone else run into this?

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #447 of 498 Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I have a TiVo Bolt and keep getting and error playing Netflix (tvq-pm-100 (5.2.12) ) and can't stream anything on the box. I have a Roku Ultra that streams perfectly in the same rack running through the same router. I've rebooted the box to no effect and it seems the only way to fix this is to completely reset the box and erase all my recordings. Anyone else run into this?
I had multiple issues trying to use Netflix on the Bolt, not to mention it being slower than a Roku. I gave up on using the Bolt for anything other than DVR functionality long ago sadly.

I don't recall seeing that specific error, but can give it a try tonight.
post #448 of 498 Old 03-19-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I usually don't use the Bolt as well, but it's easier for my wife to use it or my mother-in-law when she's in town for a visit. One less thing they can screw up!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #449 of 498 Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I usually don't use the Bolt as well, but it's easier for my wife to use it or my mother-in-law when she's in town for a visit. One less thing they can screw up!
I get that! And apologies, I realized I never tried this last week. I just gave it a shot now and Netlix started without issue for me.

Have you tried simply power cycling the unit to see if that helps? That used to help my Tivo woes.
post #450 of 498 Old 03-21-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Multiple reboots didn't help. Oh well...maybe it will be fixed when I swap out the hard drive this summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page