*** Official - Tivo: Bolt *** - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #481 of 498 Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post
OTA Bolt 500GB white, having issues with youtube app. Audio/video dropouts including lip sync issues till I lose signal and "Loading" appears. I switched IP carriers 3 months ago from AT&T 29Mbps to Xfinity 60Mbps using Netgear C7000 modem router. No problems when I had AT&T, but for the last month the youtube issue now with Xfinity. Which is strange because I went from 29Mbps to 60Mbps. Not sure it's related to Xfinity, because I don't have the youtube problem on my iMac or app in the tv which is using Xfinity. Just pointing that out. The youtube issue only happens with the Bolt. Same youtube program on my iMac plays fine. Called Tivo, went though all the settings in my AVR, TV and Bolt. Tivo can't find the problem. Bolt to AVR to TV, YouTube problem. Bolt to TV, youtube problem. Youtube app in tv plays fine, as plays fine on my iMac. So seems it with the Bolt, right?
Is the youtube app in the Bolt bad or do I have a bad Bolt? Tivo says nothing they can do about the youtube app. Did a factory refresh, no help.
Wanted to follow up and thank all those who participated in helping me. Seems I had a bad Bolt. Bad Bolt bad, lol. Tivo replaced the box with a refurbished one. All apps work fine now. Although, aka but, new issue came with the refurbished replacement. The fan noise is now very noticeable. Starts loud, fast speed, then slows down but still hear the noise, which is a combination of fan and electronic noise. I've done some reading about Bolt fan noise issue. Easy fix is take the cover off, unplug the fan from the circuit board, leave the cover off. Other option, replace the fan with a quieter one. I've ordered the recommended fan, Noiseblocker blacksilentfan XS-2. Two ways to replace the stock fan. Plug replacement fan into the factory plug where the orginal fan goes, same two speed situation. Or splice a usb plug in the XS-2 and plug it into the usb jack on the Bolt. Usb route, one speed, fan doesn't spin as fast as stock, but so quiet you can't hear it. Put case on.

happyness ;>)

Last edited by bekindrewind; 06-15-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 498 Old 07-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have several Bolts, Minis and one RoamiOTA. I see TE4.6 looks a lot cleaner than the old Hydra SW. I downgraded to TE3 a while ago on all boxes. If I upgrade now, will I lose any recordings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #483 of 498 Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I have several Bolts, Minis and one RoamiOTA. I see TE4.6 looks a lot cleaner than the old Hydra SW. I downgraded to TE3 a while ago on all boxes. If I upgrade now, will I lose any recordings?
You don't lose anything (recordings/settings) on the upgrade, just if/when you rollback (again). Hopefully you're fully versed on the shortcomings, in some opinions, of TE4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 498 Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
You don't lose anything (recordings/settings) on the upgrade, just if/when you rollback (again). Hopefully you're fully versed on the shortcomings, in some opinions, of TE4.

I know I didn’t like it when I first tried it. Has the interface gotten any smoother? The video I saw looked like it was a bit more intuitive, with my shows popping up on the left. Any current users have a pro/con list for TE4/TE3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #485 of 498 Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Apologies for cross posting, but I have an issue covering multiple platforms. I’m planning on changing from Verizon FiOS to Optimum by Altice for TV, Internet, and Phone, and I wanted to address some concerns before pulling the trigger.

TiVo
1. I have several TiVo Bolts and a Premiere box that require cable cards. I remember the original Cablevision Cable Cards were single stream and did not always mate well with TiVo. Has Altice/Optimum improved those cards?
2. On a related topic, has anyone had experience changing cards from Verizon to Altice/Optimum? Do you have any tips to make the provisioning go easier?
3. When I change service providers on the TiVo’s, will the season passes (SPs) update to record on the correct channel, or will I need to manually update each one? I know when I’ve moved SPs from my OTA to Cable Bolt, they have correctly selected ABC/CBS, etc.. but I haven’t changed actual video providers since TiVo stated allowing SP transfers.

Network
4. I had Optimum Online several years ago, and the speed dropped significantly at night. I’ve heard from some neighbors that this is no longer an issue now that Altice/Optimum added more nodes to our neighborhood. Is there a site that I could get true network performance for a specific area?
5. I currently use a Google Wi-Fi Mesh system for my routing and wireless coverage. Has anyone had issues using the Google system with Altice/Optimum?

Phone
6. I eventually plan on purchasing my own modem to reduce my monthly charges. In addition to the Google system, I also have 2 phone numbers for the house. What modem(s) work with Altice/Optimum, Google Wi-Fi and are capable of handling 2 separate phone lines?

Apple TV
7. Does Altice/Optimum have single sign-on with Apple TV?
8. Do any networks not allow Apple TV access with Altice/Optimum?
post #486 of 498 Old 07-10-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 450
You can post here too: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/ool
dturturro likes this.
post #487 of 498 Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can I get a straight answer: as of July 2019 Does the Amazon app on the Tivo Bolt (non-Vox) "do" HDR?

Note 4K is not the same as HDR. 4K works, I get that. And I understand the hardware is theoretically capable of HDR support for all apps.

Also their support page at https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...UHD-Resolution specifically mentions Netflix and Youtube right now but does *not* mention Amazon..

Anyone had success with this yet?
post #488 of 498 Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Can I get a straight answer: as of July 2019 Does the Amazon app on the Tivo Bolt (non-Vox) "do" HDR?

Note 4K is not the same as HDR. 4K works, I get that. And I understand the hardware is theoretically capable of HDR support for all apps.

Also their support page at https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...UHD-Resolution specifically mentions Netflix and Youtube right now but does *not* mention Amazon..

Anyone had success with this yet?
Correct. The Amazon app will handle 4K source material, but does not process any flavor of HDR.
post #489 of 498 Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapokata View Post
Correct. The Amazon app will handle 4K source material, but does not process any flavor of HDR.
Thank you for the prompt reply, but of course now I have to ask, has anyone had any success wih the other two apps mentioned (Netflix, YouTube)? For that matter has anyone ever seen any HDR come out of a Bolt? Ever?

Last edited by NxNW; 07-11-2019 at 12:15 AM.
post #490 of 498 Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't have a Netflix 4K upgrade on my account, so no experience with that. The TiVo YouTube app does not support HDR.
post #491 of 498 Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 184
My hunch is you will never see HDR out of the Bolt.
post #492 of 498 Old 07-11-2019, 11:00 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9120 Post(s)
Liked: 5853
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
My hunch is you will never see HDR out of the Bolt.
???? I had HLG HDR from my Bolt, with the May NASCAR UHD broadcast on FiOS.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #493 of 498 Old 07-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???? I had HLG HDR from my Bolt, with the May NASCAR UHD broadcast on FiOS.
Oh I stand corrected. I just assumed we'd never see it.
post #494 of 498 Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Still, waiting around for a stray NASCAR race is hardly the same as accessing, whenever you like, whatever UHD content you may have paid specific providers for. Every recent generation of Tivo has been billed as a cord cutters dream, an all-purpose streamer, One Ring to Rule Them All. But now I keep finding, one by one, the things I used to use it for (Xfinity on Demand, MLB) or things I had planned to use it for (HDR) are not supported. Pretty soon we'll be partying like it's 1999. Woo hoo: Pause Live TV!
post #495 of 498 Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
You are right, Tivo is not perfect. It doesn't do everything that everybody wants but, at least for me, it does more of what I want than any of the other boxes. For all the things it doesn't do that I want, I have a separate box. Unlike many others, I am not averse to changing the HDMI input on my AVR -- especially when all I have to do is press a button on my Harmony and it takes care of the rest.
Dave Vaughn, dturturro and jtrippe like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #496 of 498 Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Still, waiting around for a stray NASCAR race is hardly the same as accessing, whenever you like, whatever UHD content you may have paid specific providers for. Every recent generation of Tivo has been billed as a cord cutters dream, an all-purpose streamer, One Ring to Rule Them All. But now I keep finding, one by one, the things I used to use it for (Xfinity on Demand, MLB) or things I had planned to use it for (HDR) are not supported. Pretty soon we'll be partying like it's 1999. Woo hoo: Pause Live TV!
Um, Tivos are exactly what you want to use for sports. You can chase-watch and avoid commercials, which you can't do streaming. Esoteric stuff like MLB app are of course going to be better on anything other than Tivo.
post #497 of 498 Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Um, Tivos are exactly what you want to use for sports. You can chase-watch and avoid commercials, which you can't do streaming. Esoteric stuff like MLB app are of course going to be better on anything other than Tivo.
Well, that's my fault for muddling things with two separate issues, 1) the actual feature I care about, 2) a superfluous rant about the viability of tivo as features disappear or fail to appear over the years.

i fully realize the main reason people *don't* cut the cord is live sports and sports is the perfect use case for a tivo. but the recent line of discussion is starting to look like

- can a tivo do HDR
- i think i saw HDR once on a nascar race
- id rather have realiable access to my cloud library of HDR content thank you very much
- tivos are perfect for sports

that last one doesnt quite go with the flow.

the lack of hdr support surfaces a larger issue, app developers write for the biggest platforms first, tivo's user base is apparently not big enough to get the latest and best versions of any given app

i have no plans to get rid of my tivo, but once I upgrade the rest of the display chain to 4K HDR i'll have to stop using the apps on the tivo and go back to just using it for live sports, PBS, local TV and whatever other cool content is stuck in the world of SD or HD or even 4K *SDR* . Which it is perfect for, I'll be the first to agree. I just wish tivo could also persuade some partners to help them be perfect for newer formats as well. meanwhile i have buy a roku. or an app-ified UHD disc player for heavens sake.

hurry up tivo. beg borrow or steal but do whatever you need to get your partners to rewrite their apps: HDR is here and customers will find other ways to watch it if you dont have a story for it.
post #498 of 498 Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
I will gladly trade HDR for avoiding commercials, thanks. Especially given that 4K HDR is still not seen much on network provider apps yet. Obviously YMMV.

For your stored HDR content, doesn't Plex support that now? My LG OLED has the app, and for apps you don't need Tivo anyway. You will always need it to avoid commercials in sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page