*** Official - Tivo: Bolt *** - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 106Likes

post #511 of 537 Old 09-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm beyond disgusted. I have Roamio's on the old UI. I haven't seen an ad yet but I assume it is a matter of time.
How stupid can you get. I predict this one action will circle the drain for TiVo.
I agree that TiVo is probably circling the drain before disappearing completely. I can’t imagine that anyone could be stupid enough to think that pre-roll ads wouldn’t enrage their customers, so they must really be desperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 537 Old 09-25-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I agree that TiVo is probably circling the drain before disappearing completely. I can’t imagine that anyone could be stupid enough to think that pre-roll ads wouldn’t enrage their customers, so they must really be desperate.
It gets worse:
https://www.techspot.com/news/82017-...egardless.html

However, you can call TiVo to opt out of the ads. It has been posted that that works.
post #513 of 537 Old 09-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It gets worse:
https://www.techspot.com/news/82017-...egardless.html

However, you can call TiVo to opt out of the ads. It has been posted that that works.
I'm still on TE3, so I'm sorry to hear that TiVo intends to "roll out the commercials to users still on TiVo Experience 3 at a later date." But they also say that "TiVo is ready for the blowback, saying that users can skip the ads." As long as the ads can be skipped, it may not be a total deal-breaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 537 Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The VP of TiVo has said that there are no plans to have these ads on TE3 and no plans to block downgrades to TE3 on boxes that support TE3. Not sure what sources these “news” sites are getting their info from...

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #515 of 537 Old 09-26-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Plus if you downgrade then don't you lose the skip functions implemented in Hydra? Auto skip is a superb feature. I would not want to lose it by down grading.
I have awesome, seamless auto-skip on TE3 with kmttg.
post #516 of 537 Old 09-26-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
The VP of TiVo has said that there are no plans to have these ads on TE3 and no plans to block downgrades to TE3 on boxes that support TE3. Not sure what sources these “news” sites are getting their info from...
From Ted Malone @TiVo_Ted , the VP of Consumer Relations (or something like that) on TCF.
post #517 of 537 Old 09-26-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
From Ted Malone @TiVo_Ted , the VP of Consumer Relations (or something like that) on TCF.

Yep, TCF is where he said there were no plans for ads on TE3 and no plans to block downgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #518 of 537 Old 09-26-2019, 11:55 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked: 6217
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have awesome, seamless auto-skip on TE3 with kmttg.
I use kmttg but I don't do any thing with the skip function. The recordings are just transferred from kmttg to a plex folder. After being transferred from the TiVos.

How accurate is the skipping function in kmttg?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #519 of 537 Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
As accurate as Tivo's skip data is, because all kmttg does is playback your recordings and skip through them to capture the skip points, then monitor what you're playing and do the skips for you when you watch them. I have mine set to run captures at 4am every day.

Yes, this means that if you want to watch a recording the same night it airs you won't have auto-skip but it's not an issue for us, you can just skip those manually. We rarely watch same day.
aaronwt likes this.
post #520 of 537 Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 AM
UHD Addict

I'll need to look closer at it and try implementing it.

post #521 of 537 Old 09-28-2019, 11:13 AM
UHD Addict

I was messing around today with the ad skip from kmttg with my testing PC. It seems to work well with plex when I played them back. So now I changed my One Passes in my production TiVo/kmttg box to use the ad skip with all future transfers.

Although I think I will need to install another SSD in the PC. WHen there are a bunch of shows transferring and the AD skip process being applied to multiple shows, the transfers slowed down a bunch. I changed the settings to only do two things at once which helped. But a second SSD should make a bigger difference.

post #522 of 537 Old 09-28-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 353
^^Y'all are having me learn a whole new set acronyms!!!!
Have to say my ad-skip still works at TE3, another acronym, go figure
post #523 of 537 Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Sunday before last or early Monday morning my four year old Bolt experienced an "event". I am experiencing extreme pixelation and tiling on the upstairs Minis and downstairs on the main Bolt. I thought I had a cable problem but called to troubleshoot it over chat.
It appears I have a harddrive issue. As long as I am watching live I have no problems. If I pause or rewind, the pixelation returns. The other odd thing is recordings that happened before the event play normally, recordings after the event are not. It's a really strange problem, any ideas?

Edit: So I get home do an experiment. On Charter Spectrum, all the HD channels are high tiered. 702 is ABC, 705 is Fox, etc. I tune to the regular low tier channels, such as channel 2 for ABC and the problem goes away, it is a cable problem, most likely the cable card or a signal issue. I wanted to get this figured out because I have a new Bolt Vox sitting on the table ready to go. I'm going to call Spectrum again.

Last edited by mylan; 11-19-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #524 of 537 Old 11-20-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
Edit: So I get home do an experiment. On Charter Spectrum, all the HD channels are high tiered. 702 is ABC, 705 is Fox, etc. I tune to the regular low tier channels, such as channel 2 for ABC and the problem goes away, it is a cable problem, most likely the cable card or a signal issue. I wanted to get this figured out because I have a new Bolt Vox sitting on the table ready to go. I'm going to call Spectrum again.
Virtual channel numbers have no relationship to channel frequency. Check Diagnostics. It will display the virtual channel number and frequency for each tuner. However, your cable feed does send out channels by frequency, with groups on one amplifier. It would help if you could correlate the frequency with the signal problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ch502-1.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	2643338  
post #525 of 537 Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Virtual channel numbers have no relationship to channel frequency. Check Diagnostics. It will display the virtual channel number and frequency for each tuner. However, your cable feed does send out channels by frequency, with groups on one amplifier. It would help if you could correlate the frequency with the signal problem.
I'll check the signal strength when I get home. Thanks for the tip, still odd that pause and play work or dont work depending on channel.
post #526 of 537 Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll check the signal strength when I get home. Thanks for the tip, still odd that pause and play work or dont work depending on channel.
I can't help with the pause issue. My lowest channel, 2, is 183Mhz. Every cable feed has it's own mapping of QAM channels to virtual channels.
post #527 of 537 Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[/quote]Virtual channel numbers have no relationship to channel frequency. Check Diagnostics. It will display the virtual channel number and frequency for each tuner. However, your cable feed does send out channels by frequency, with groups on one amplifier. It would help if you could correlate the frequency with the signal problem.[/QUOTE]

From my diagnostics screen I have a signal strength of 92% and more or less the same SNR so that wasn't it. Restarting the Tivo, something I should have done to start with, seems to have corrected the problem. I am going to wait a few days before returning the new Tivo Vox. Thanks Joe for your assistance.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #528 of 537 Old 11-21-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Sunday before last or early Monday morning my four year old Bolt experienced an "event". I am experiencing extreme pixelation and tiling on the upstairs Minis and downstairs on the main Bolt. I thought I had a cable problem but called to troubleshoot it over chat.
It appears I have a harddrive issue. As long as I am watching live I have no problems. If I pause or rewind, the pixelation returns. The other odd thing is recordings that happened before the event play normally, recordings after the event are not. It's a really strange problem, any ideas?

FWIW, replacing the hard drive in the Bolt is pretty easy. I had the same symptoms and recently replaced the HD in ours. Works great now.

There are several guides available online with instructions, and I used this hard drive (which is the same model that TiVo used.)

The Bolt is easier to replace the HD than earlier TiVos as the hard drive is automatically formatted during the setup and the user info is stored in memory. You do lose all the recordings on the old drive, however, with a simple swap.
mylan likes this.

post #529 of 537 Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm thinking about ditching my Bolt and Tivo all together, but there are no other options out there like Tivo. I don't understand why a competitor can't market/sell a box that can record OTA. Obliviously they don't need and/or want to. I've been looking into Roku, HD Homerun, Table, etc , but I'd rather not stream my OTA channels over our house wifi. Seems like a lot of bandwidth especially when we have other devices (computer, outdoor cams, etc) that are on wifi. Isn't the PQ using such devices also worse than say Tivo? In the end, I want an alternative to Tivo for OTA DVR. The CM Stream+ is an option I guess, but doesn't seem well rated.
post #530 of 537 Old 11-21-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
FWIW, replacing the hard drive in the Bolt is pretty easy. I had the same symptoms and recently replaced the HD in ours. Works great now.

There are several guides available online with instructions, and I used this hard drive (which is the same model that TiVo used.)

The Bolt is easier to replace the HD than earlier TiVos as the hard drive is automatically formatted during the setup and the user info is stored in memory. You do lose all the recordings on the old drive, however, with a simple swap.
Thanks, i'll keep that in mind and I may go ahead and order the drive for when it does eventually crap out. That is way cheaper than a new Bolt, though I was looking forward to Vox but I doubt I would use it much.
post #531 of 537 Old 11-21-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I'm thinking about ditching my Bolt and Tivo all together, but there are no other options out there like Tivo. I don't understand why a competitor can't market/sell a box that can record OTA. Obliviously they don't need and/or want to. I've been looking into Roku, HD Homerun, Table, etc , but I'd rather not stream my OTA channels over our house wifi. Seems like a lot of bandwidth especially when we have other devices (computer, outdoor cams, etc) that are on wifi. Isn't the PQ using such devices also worse than say Tivo? In the end, I want an alternative to Tivo for OTA DVR. The CM Stream+ is an option I guess, but doesn't seem well rated.
500 posts since September mostly about TiVo Alternatives: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...atives.573302/
post #532 of 537 Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
No interest in Recast? No wifi involved if you use hardwired LAN. It's the best alternative I know of and the one I'm currently using.
post #533 of 537 Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No interest in Recast? No wifi involved if you use hardwired LAN. It's the best alternative I know of and the one I'm currently using.
Yeah, been reading a lot over at the link posted above. Was about to pull trigger on recast but it's limited to only 720 res. Tablo can display 1080. Plus I can download tablo app on out Sony smart TV with Android
post #534 of 537 Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Yeah, been reading a lot over at the link posted above. Was about to pull trigger on recast but it's limited to only 720 res. Tablo can display 1080. Plus I can download tablo app on out Sony smart TV with Android
I also considered Tablo. But resolution isn't the whole story. Compression can also ruin the picture, which, from what I've read, can be an issue on Tablo. Even though Recast is 720 max, it always looks good.

But, as you know, Recast won't run on Android. So Tablo is still the best option for you anyway.

Let us know how it works out. It made me very happy to tell Spectrum to pound sand, and I'm still glad I did.
post #535 of 537 Old 11-22-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 265
FWIW, I have not contacted TiVo about inserted commercials on recordings as I have not seen any.

Is it possible that my pi-hole whole-house adblocker is stopping them before they even stream? If so, this might be a simple fix for those suffering from commercials.

post #536 of 537 Old 11-23-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
FWIW, I have not contacted TiVo about inserted commercials on recordings as I have not seen any.
Is it possible that my pi-hole whole-house adblocker is stopping them before they even stream? If so, this might be a simple fix for those suffering from commercials.
There are 5 sites that need to be blocked to stop the ads. I haven't seen any either, but I seldom watch my TE4 Roamio for recordings (just streaming). I have two TE3 Roamio boxes that do 99% of the work.
post #537 of 537 Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
i'm running TE3 on all my TiVo's and have not seen any pre-roll ads.
I've no intention of ever moving to TE4 so I appear to be safe for now.
Primestar31 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page