post #31 of 50 Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
As far as a "beeping"? I hear no accompanying sound effect with the skip-mode reminder -- but then I have TiVo sound effects turned off so my TiVo's don't make any noise.
If you have Dolby enabled the chime is disabled, as are sound effects in any menu with a live picture showing. Same story with QuickMode.

Also, SkipMode does not survive a transfer to another TiVo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Also, SkipMode does not survive a transfer to another TiVo.
Nor does it survive transfer to a server. It does survive streaming to another TiVo.

That is a shame. There are plenty of times I would rather transfer a block of recordings from one TiVo to another during off-hours rather than load my network with TiVo-TiVo streaming in the evening hours.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Skip Mode

For the last 2 days none of the 20 shows that I recorded have show the green Skip tab, which all previous episodes had.

I had rebooted the unit after the 1st day, but that didn't help.

Anyone else having any problems?

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
1 DVR+ CM7500GB16, Dec 2014
1 TiVo Roamio OTA, May 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
If you go into settings, network, when was the last time your Tivo updated? Sounds like a possible network issue to me, no communication back to Tivo no skip mode...it's been working fine for me on my Roamio OTA even the last few days.
post #35 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Phoenix View Post
For the last 2 days none of the 20 shows that I recorded have show the green Skip tab, which all previous episodes had.

I had rebooted the unit after the 1st day, but that didn't help.

Anyone else having any problems?
Can you cite examples of shows from the big-4 networks where this has happened to you? I'm recording OTA with a bunch of 1-passes and so far every recorded episode this season has gotten SM data. This is a much better batting average than last season when it debuted.

i.e. NCIS, Chicago Fire/PD, Blindspot, Blacklist, The Good Place, Blue Bloods, Designated Survivor, Elementary, How to get Away With Murder, Madam Secretary, Scorpion, Arrow, Flash, OUAT, SHIELD. All have gotten SM data for every episode this season.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #36 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If you go into settings, network, when was the last time your Tivo updated? Sounds like a possible network issue to me, no communication back to Tivo no skip mode...it's been working fine for me on my Roamio OTA even the last few days.
TiVo's servers have been having a few bad days (not related to the election). Many reports of BSC. Last night my programs did not get the icon. They slowly showed up overnight. By 6am all 10 recordings had SM. Usually they appear within 10 minutes of the show's end.

My guide has fallen to 10 days also. Several VCM Connections have failed since Tuesday. Next week there are mostly generic descriptions for late night.

Identical results on two Roamio boxes.
post #37 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Skip Mode

Quote:
Can you cite examples of shows from the big-4 networks where this has happened to you? I'm recording OTA with a bunch of 1-passes and so far every recorded episode this season has gotten SM data. This is a much better batting average than last season when it debuted.

i.e. NCIS, Chicago Fire/PD, Blindspot, Blacklist, The Good Place, Blue Bloods, Designated Survivor, Elementary, How to get Away With Murder, Madam Secretary, Scorpion, Arrow, Flash, OUAT, SHIELD. All have gotten SM data for every episode this season.
Pure Genius, Life in Pieces, Notorious, The Great Indoors, Superstore, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Speechless, Blindspot, The Goldbergs & Survivor.
Like I said all previous episodes had Skip.

The other thing I've noticed is that it gets the spinning wheel (busy) a lot more & for a longer duration than it use to when brings up a recording.

Edited: I just noticed that the guide doesn't have any shows designated has having Skip.

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009

Last edited by Jim in Phoenix; 11-11-2016 at 12:09 PM.
post #38 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Pure Genius, Life in Pieces, Notorious, The Great Indoors, Superstore, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Speechless, Blindspot, The Goldbergs & Survivor.
Like I said all previous episodes had Skip.
FWIW I have skip for the most recent BBT, MF, Speechless and Blind spot. AFA Life In Pieces, I purposely waited a few minutes after it had aired before I played it last night, and it got skip.
Quote:
The other thing I've noticed is that it gets the spinning wheel (busy) a lot more & for a longer duration than it use to when brings up a recording.
I get that LOTS!! and I thought maybe it was just my Tivo, since I upsized the HDD to 3TB. I thought maybe it was having a hard time finding things or worse yet a fragmented HDD, have you upsized your HDD? Note I upsized the HDD on my Series 3 to the largest available at the time and never see the clock like I see on my Roamio, and the Series 3 is still in use today, of course it doesn't get skip.

Quote:
Edited: I just noticed that the guide doesn't have any shows designated has having Skip.
Does the guide ever shows what shows will have skip? I guess I haven't ever noticed but I just looked now and I have no shows in my guide showing anything about skip.....
post #39 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does the guide ever shows what shows will have skip? I guess I haven't ever noticed but I just looked now and I have no shows in my guide showing anything about skip.....
Never. You can go to TiVo.com and click on skipmode. It let's you run a video that shows which networks may have SM applied. It sort of varies by region. I have good SM results on most everything except The Late Show. I wish South Park would get it, even though The Daily Show is 99.9%. With the recent server slowdown, the SM icon may take several hours to show up.
post #40 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
I went from getting SM on all eps of AHS (FX network) to not getting it the last couple of weeks. Others reported getting it on AHS just fine.

Go figure, I thought for a national cable net that everyone would have the same experience but it's yet another Tivo YMMV.
post #41 of 50 Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I get that LOTS!! and I thought maybe it was just my Tivo, since I upsized the HDD to 3TB. I thought maybe it was having a hard time finding things or worse yet a fragmented HDD,
Reboot your TiVo's. I think they may have pushed something out that needed a reboot of the OS. I rarely got the spinning wheel then all of a sudden, there it was for the past 2 nights every time I selected a recording. Tonight was the last straw when I couldn't play a selection from the Playlist that was actually an Amazon Prime stream. Prime wouldn't launch and an error message would pop up on the screen.

I did a warm reboot of the TiVo from the Help menu which got rid of all the spinning wheels. When I tried to stream the Prime selection right after the reboot I got a message to wait until it finished loading the Prime app. I gave it 10 min to complete, after which Prime was fine once again. This was all on the TiVo -- when I went to use the Mini that is attached to that TiVo, the spinning wheel problems were back until I rebooted the Mini and let the Prime app load.

- kelson h

post #42 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Reboot your TiVo's. I think they may have pushed something out that needed a reboot of the OS. I rarely got the spinning wheel then all of a sudden, there it was for the past 2 nights every time I selected a recording. Tonight was the last straw when I couldn't play a selection from the Playlist that was actually an Amazon Prime stream. Prime wouldn't launch and an error message would pop up on the screen.

I did a warm reboot of the TiVo from the Help menu which got rid of all the spinning wheels. When I tried to stream the Prime selection right after the reboot I got a message to wait until it finished loading the Prime app. I gave it 10 min to complete, after which Prime was fine once again. This was all on the TiVo -- when I went to use the Mini that is attached to that TiVo, the spinning wheel problems were back until I rebooted the Mini and let the Prime app load.
It got really terrible last night(after I made that post, got me thinking maybe I jinxed something ) anyway I could hardly move around in the Tivo menus, everything I did resulted in 10-30 seconds of the spinning wheel I couldn't reboot(unplug, replug) last night as my Tivo was recording, but I did it this morning, time will tell.
As I said before I really never get this on my OLD Series 3, it just keeps chugging along, working. True I don't use it nearly as much as my Roamio, but I do use it daily. Mainly for overflow shows and also for things I know I'm going to want to archive to DVD via it's superior S-video out.

Damn that was quick My Roamio rebooted in less than 5 minutes, probably closer to 3! My series 3 takes 15 minutes + to do a cold boot, they got that right on the Roamio
post #43 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 05:03 AM

Skip Mode

Quote:
I get that LOTS!! and I thought maybe it was just my Tivo, since I upsized the HDD to 3TB. I thought maybe it was having a hard time finding things or worse yet a fragmented HDD, have you upsized your HDD? Note I upsized the HDD on my Series 3 to the largest available at the time and never see the clock like I see on my Roamio, and the Series 3 is still in use today, of course it doesn't get skip.
I did upgrade to a 2T about 2 months ago.
I have just become annoyed with the spinning wheel for the last several days, taking up to 5 seconds just to open a folder.
Then more spinning when I select the episode. I thought my HDD might be failing, so I guess I'm not the only one having this issue.
I'm only using about 33% of the disk space, so I have no idea what's going on.

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the guide had the skip tab, but I reread the 1st post in this thread and it said it did. "The TIVO guide indicates each show so programmed."

Quote:
Reboot your TiVo's..............
I have rebooted several times. No Help.

I did talk to TiVo for about 30 minutes, what a joke. I know more than he did. "Wait 24 hours & it will be OK". Right

Is there a "reset to factory defaults" option somewhere.

In Help/Restart or Reset there a only 2 options that look like they might fix my "Skip" issue. "Repeat Guided Setup" & "Clear & Delete Everything"

Obviously I don't want to lose my recording. I would like to keep my "One Passes", any recommendations?

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
post #44 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I couldn't reboot(unplug, replug) last night as my Tivo was recording, but I did it this morning,
You don't need to pull the plug unless the unit has actually locked up. Use the restart option in the Help menu:
"Settings & Messages" --> "Help" --> "Restart or Reset" --> "Restart the TiVo Box"

That lets it shut down gracefully and reboot.

- kelson h

post #45 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In Help/Restart or Reset there a only 2 options that look like they might fix my "Skip" issue. "Repeat Guided Setup" & "Clear & Delete Everything"

Obviously I don't want to lose my recording. I would like to keep my "One Passes", any recommendations?
Clear & Delete everything will trash existing recordings. To repeat Guided Setup is useful if you are changing zipcodes. The other option: Clear Program Information & To Do List also takes a while since it will rebuild your guide. On a Roamio it's about ten minutes for the first part, then an hour to reload & index the guide and rebuild the To Do List. I have done the guide rebuild several times. I have never done the Clear & Delete Everything. With your issue of no skip mode in My Shows, I might look for a better zipcode. You can use tv.com to get an opinion as to which zipcode works. Do not use Screener (zap2it/Gracenote).
post #46 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You don't need to pull the plug unless the unit has actually locked up. Use the restart option in the Help menu:
"Settings & Messages" --> "Help" --> "Restart or Reset" --> "Restart the TiVo Box"

That lets it shut down gracefully and reboot.
Interesting, I never like hard booting things but I thought I had read from you in the past that you rebooted your Tivo monthly to clean things out I never do this to my Series 3 and everything seems to work fine but when I started getting that spinning wheel on my Roamio with almost very move I figured I'd give it a try, and so far, so good, no clock
My Series 3 is in a rack and hard to get to the power cord, my Roamio sits on the top of a stack of things and I can get to the back very easily to pull the cord but I'll try the reboot next time.
post #47 of 50 Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, I never like hard booting things but I thought I had read from you in the past that you rebooted your Tivo monthly to clean things out I never do this to my Series 3 and everything seems to work fine but when I started getting that spinning wheel on my Roamio with almost very move I figured I'd give it a try, and so far, so good, no clock
My Series 3 is in a rack and hard to get to the power cord, my Roamio sits on the top of a stack of things and I can get to the back very easily to pull the cord but I'll try the reboot next time.
I may be the lunar reboot person you were thinking about. I suggest you put the box into Standby if you decide to pull the plug. That will stop it from writing to the hard disk. I still do it every month.

It has nothing to do with skip mode or blue spinning circles.
post #48 of 50 Old 11-13-2016, 04:51 AM

Skip Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Clear & Delete everything will trash existing recordings. To repeat Guided Setup is useful if you are changing zipcodes. The other option: Clear Program Information & To Do List also takes a while since it will rebuild your guide. On a Roamio it's about ten minutes for the first part, then an hour to reload & index the guide and rebuild the To Do List. I have done the guide rebuild several times. I have never done the Clear & Delete Everything. With your issue of no skip mode in My Shows, I might look for a better zipcode. You can use tv.com to get an opinion as to which zipcode works. Do not use Screener (zap2it/Gracenote).
I did a "Guided Setup" yesterday & set 2 recordings for that evening.

This morning I have "Skip" on those 2 recording as well as on all the ones that didn't have it over the last 3 days.

There is no skip icon in the guide (maybe it never did) contrary to what it says in the 1st post of this thread.

And I no longer have the "spinning blue circle" problem. Although that has been a confirmed TiVo issue & maybe they got it fixed.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi...535110/page-18
JoeKustra likes this.

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
post #49 of 50 Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Any reboot, net connect etc. will only get you temporary relief (if any) from BSCs. This is a core Tivo UI issue that can only be fixed with a software update that has not been released. And may never be given the sad state of the Rovi/Tivo merger now.
post #50 of 50 Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Any reboot, net connect etc. will only get you temporary relief (if any) from BSCs. This is a core Tivo UI issue that can only be fixed with a software update that has not been released. And may never be given the sad state of the Rovi/Tivo merger now.
FYI from another thread, BSCs(or SBCs as I've also seen) stands for Blue Spinning Circles or Spinning Blue Circles and a few days after my above reboot they are back
I'm sure slowbiscuit knows what a BSC is but I didn't and figured others might not either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page