RCA DTA880 is it decent? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 120 Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
There's another way: surprisingly, you'll find that if you schedule the midnight-crossing event first, then schedule the other events that start the same day of the week, it will let you do it without complaining!

And there's yet another way: if you schedule the midnight-crossing event as a daily event, it will let you do that too. But it won't let you edit it back to a weekly event - unless you first change the other events for that day to daily events also. Then, you can change the midnight-crossing event back to weekly, and finally, change the other events back to weekly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 120 Old 12-26-2016, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes it's called the "midnight" bug and
plagues many of these cheap DVRs.

I take it there is no option like, 'End Scheduled Event 5 minutes later'.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #63 of 120 Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I take it there is no option like, 'End Scheduled Event 5 minutes later'.

Unfortunately not, these DVRs are pretty basic and only have start/stop times, only way to extend a recording is to manually program the ending time later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the RCA DTA880 not have the media player feature; i.e., a submenu (similar to this one from the eMatic) that lets you play A/V files from other devices?

Edit: Photobucket image removed. Photobucket now blurs images to uselessness unless the OP (who wasn't me) pays up.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-31-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #65 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The RCA box has only playback of what you recorded. No multimedia. Anybody find a universal remote that will work with this box without teaching one button at a time?
post #66 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 02:33 PM

sample of menu screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA menu.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2055273  
post #67 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim se iowa View Post
Anybody find a universal remote that will work with this box without teaching one button at a time?
Could someone post a photo of the DTA880 remote? It's a long shot, but maybe someone will recognize it as matching another device; if so, you could program your universal remote using that other device's code.
post #68 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[QUOTE=Kelson;45764777]Take a second look at TiVo.
TiVo stopped requiring the subscription for the Roamio OTA DVR a while ago.
1-time purchase price = $400 at TiVo or Amazon[/QUOTA

Also the Tivo OTA Roamio goes on sale sometimes @ Best Buy & Amazon. I scored mine for $349.99 from Best Buy. Love it & dropped D*TV also.

Alex
post #69 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Could someone post a photo of the DTA880 remote? It's a long shot, but maybe someone will recognize it as matching another device; if so, you could program your universal remote using that other device's code.

Look @ Appx. 20 seconds into this YouTube video. I don't know if it's the current remote, but it looks pretty lame.

post #70 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM

pictures of the remotes I have, the new one has silver around keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA new remote.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2055561   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA old remote.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2055569  
post #71 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK thanks. Unfortunately neither of those looks familiar to me, but perhaps someone else will recognize them.
post #72 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
pictures of the remotes I have, the new one has silver around keys.
Mine came with the first remote. The second remote looks horrible IMO, so I'm glad I didn't get that one.

Newer is not always better.
post #73 of 120 Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anybody find a universal remote that will work with this box without teaching one button at a time?
Looks like Harmony remotes support the DTA880:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
You can check their database here: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

The DTA880 comes back as supported
Both of the RCA remote models looked unappealing to me, so I'd probably use any universal remote I could get, even if I did have to program it one button at a time.
post #74 of 120 Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just had a major inconvenience with my RCA DTA880. For whatever reason (perhaps when deleting unwanted recordings) it decided to corrupt several recordings on the drive.

It appears that deleting recordings sometimes doesn't update the filesystem correctly and tells the device that clusters of a wanted recording can be overwritten. Once overwritten with a new recording, the affected recording(s) become(s) corrupt and can not be played. Within Windows, the affected recording(s) will either display their total size or simply 0 bytes. I've had the unit freeze on me in the past while deleting certain recordings (particularly those in 1080i) and corrupting the filesystem, usually being recoverable using CHKDSK, but very rarely do I have unrecoverable recordings.

The drive was formatted as NTFS on a Windows 10 computer. This was done since formatting with the DVR causes Windows to detect a non-formatted drive. I would guess this problem would exist either way. It would be nice if a software update was available to address these issues.

post #75 of 120 Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The drive was formatted as NTFS on a Windows 10 computer. This was done since formatting with the DVR causes Windows to detect a non-formatted drive.
A new "feature" in Windows 10?

Windows 7 will access HDDs formatted by an iView. The only difference is, there's no hidden "System Volume Information" folder, as there is when Windows formats the drive. There's also no hidden $Recycle.Bin folder, but if I format the HDD on Windows I delete that folder anyway (the DVR doesn't use it).

Perhaps Windows 10 needs one or both of those folders now, or it considers the HDD to be not (correctly) formatted.
post #76 of 120 Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A new "feature" in Windows 10?

Windows 7 will access HDDs formatted by an iView. The only difference is, there's no hidden "System Volume Information" folder, as there is when Windows formats the drive. There's also no hidden $Recycle.Bin folder, but if I format the HDD on Windows I delete that folder anyway (the DVR doesn't use it).

Perhaps Windows 10 needs one or both of those folders now, or it considers the HDD to be not (correctly) formatted.
Since my last post here, I ran CHKDSK and scanned for errors and bad sectors on the disk. No bad sectors were found on the hard drive and the errors were repaired. I removed the corrupt files and reattached it to the DVR. Between then and now it recorded three programs. When I went to watch the new recordings, one of them was already corrupt. Ran CHKDSK and the filesystem contained errors again.

I'm thinking about copying the recordings off the DVR and reformatting the drive. Should I change the cluster size of the NTFS filesystem upon formatting? Last time it was formatted was about a year ago, and never had issues until now. Or should I reset the DVR and see if things clear up?

post #77 of 120 Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about copying the recordings off the DVR and reformatting the drive. Should I change the cluster size of the NTFS filesystem upon formatting?
Sounds like a plan. In theory a larger cluster size should improve performance a bit, but performance is usually an issue only for USB flash drives. With a traditional spinning drive, I doubt you'd notice any difference.
Quote:
Last time it was formatted was about a year ago, and never had issues until now. Or should I reset the DVR and see if things clear up?
It could be that the more files the HDD has, the more problems you run into. If so, starting fresh with a newly-formatted, empty HDD may fix it.

If you still have problems, you could do a factory reset on the DVR and see if that helps. Depends on how much setting up you'd have to do after the factory reset. Usually for me the big hassle is going through the channel list and deleting, skipping, and "favoriting" all my channels again, plus setting up the shows I want to record again.
post #78 of 120 Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
Just picked up this unit and trying it out with 128gb memory stick.

Can I start watching a recording from the beginning, while it is still recording?
will NOT work on USB memory stick or USB flash drive! You need a USB External hard drive!
post #79 of 120 Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer26 View Post
will NOT work on USB memory stick or USB flash drive! You need a USB External hard drive!
For best results, yes. But a few flash/thumb drives will record HD OK; many will record SD OK, and you can play back videos that were recorded elsewhere and copied to the thumb drive.

You'll have a better chance (but no guarantees) with 128GB USB 3.0 flash drives. You'll just have to try it and see if it records what you want without skipping/stuttering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
Just picked up this unit and trying it out with 128gb memory stick.

Can I start watching a recording from the beginning, while it is still recording?
Not sure if this is possible with the RCA. It's been mentioned that RCA disabled time-shifting, so chase play may have been disabled as well.

Try pressing Play while recording; that works with a HomeWorx or Iview.
post #80 of 120 Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip2space45 View Post
RCA DTA-800B1 works great for me. I had to cancel cable TV, could not afford to pay 80 a month anymore just for watching TV. I ordered the RCA antenna to work with this digital converter box.
Clear picture accept during bad weather. Easy to set up easy to operate after you scan for all your channels.
Trip2Space, the DTA800B1 is just a standard digital converter box designed for older devices such as CRT TVs and VCRs. It only provides a SD picture through it's composite output. The DTA880 has an HDMI out so that you can watch in HD on your flat panel TV. It also has a DVR feature so you can record to a USB flash drive or, more preferably, a self powered external hard drive. Though the DTA880 is a step up from the DTA800B1, it does have several software issues and a few hardware issues as mentioned here and in several other threads.

If you're using the DTA800B1 on an older high def TV, just connect the antenna cable directly to the TV and run a channel scan. Some newer TVs (particularly 4K sets) lack an internal digital tuner, so you will need an external tuner in order to watch TV with an antenna.
JHBrandt likes this.

post #81 of 120 Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ran into an interesting issue with the RCA DTA880. I recently acquired a non-functioning laptop which I parted out. It had a working 250GB SATA hard drive in it, which I wiped and installed in an enclosure that I had laying around. When I connected it to the DVR, I didn't get the "USB device attached" message on the screen. I unplugged it and plugged it back in a couple times and eventually got the message. But whenever I try to record to the drive, I get a "please attach a USB device" message. If I try to format the drive, I get a "format error" message. I tried different cables but that didn't work. I've attached the drive to different computers and it works fine on all of them, being able to read and write without any problems. Could there be a compatibility issue with the controller inside the enclosure? My 80GB 2.5" IDE hard drive attached to a USB adapter works fine.

post #82 of 120 Old 08-05-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First make sure the HDD has an "MBR" partition table. In Windows 7 this is how I'd check:

1. Run "Computer Management" (in Administrative Tools)
  2. Click "Disk Management"
  3. Find the HDD in the bottom half of the Disk Management window and right-click it
  4. Click "Properties"
  5. Click the "Volumes" tab
  6. "Partition Style" should be "Master Boot Record."

Then check that the Bytes/Sector is 512. Again in Windows 7:

1. Start / Run
  2. Enter "msinfo32" and click OK
  3. Expand "Components," then "Storage," and click "Disks"
  4. Find your disk in the right-hand pane and look for the Bytes/Sector. It should read 512.
post #83 of 120 Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First make sure the HDD has an "MBR" partition table. In Windows 7 this is how I'd check:

1. Run "Computer Management" (in Administrative Tools)
  2. Click "Disk Management"
  3. Find the HDD in the bottom half of the Disk Management window and right-click it
  4. Click "Properties"
  5. Click the "Volumes" tab
  6. "Partition Style" should be "Master Boot Record."

Then check that the Bytes/Sector is 512. Again in Windows 7:

1. Start / Run
  2. Enter "msinfo32" and click OK
  3. Expand "Components," then "Storage," and click "Disks"
  4. Find your disk in the right-hand pane and look for the Bytes/Sector. It should read 512.
Partition table is Master Boot Record. (I remember Windows asking me to select either MBR or GPT upon initialization of the drive.)

Bytes per sector is 512.

Filesystem is NTFS. (Formatted using Windows 10)

post #84 of 120 Old 08-06-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Then I'm basically stumped. Those are the two things that most often make drives incompatible with these kinds of boxes. It does sound like there's some incompatibility between the USB controller for your drive and the DTA880, but I don't know what it is.
post #85 of 120 Old 08-06-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then I'm basically stumped. Those are the two things that most often make drives incompatible with these kinds of boxes. It does sound like there's some incompatibility between the USB controller for your drive and the DTA880, but I don't know what it is.
Oh well. Those external enclosures are pretty cheap anyway. I might just buy another one and try it instead.

I could also try connecting the drive to my USB adapter. Problem is that SATA drives require external power, where IDE 2.5" drives are powered by the DVR through the USB.

post #86 of 120 Old 01-31-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, this "channel re-initialization just because something minor in the station's PSIP changed" is getting ridiculous. Every time it happens, any scheduled recordings related to that channel disappears or gets corrupt. I know this is a common problem with these boxes, but it seems that more stations in my area are doing this now. One station will do it almost every time I turn the box on. Others will do it every 3-4 days, a few don't do it at all.

RCA's confusing & unhelpful sites are of no help. Can't find any firmware available to download, can't find an appropriate contact link to complain to. This DVR would be decent if it wasn't for it's buggy firmware. Any recommendations for an alternate DVR that is similarly priced & will allow my to move and view recordings on my computer, or are they all the same? Do any of the newer models have updated firmware that fixes this re-initialization problem?

post #87 of 120 Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know of one firmware version, for the iView 3500, that doesn't have that bug, at least as far as I've been able to tell: http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...PGFix_1511.rar

That firmware version works on the iView 3200 also. I used it for many months on my 3200 and never ran into that channel rescan bug.

So far, this is the only firmware I've seen that seems to have fixed that particular bug. Even the HomeWorx, which I usually recommend over the iView, has that bug in its current firmware.

The only catch I know of is, if you buy an iView 3200 or 3500, it probably won't come with that version. To be fair, later iView firmware versions probably don't have the bug either, but I haven't tested them. And their latest version reportedly has an even worse bug:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Replaced an older unit (dead power board); replacement is running 20170928V5.0 firmware. Hard lock (remote & front panel buttons unresponsive) after tuning to a channel subset; common factor seems to be 480i, 'searching' for EPG info.
So you'd probably want to update a new box with the firmware from the above link.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-31-2018 at 06:57 PM.
post #88 of 120 Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And their latest version reportedly has an even worse bug
...and what's that worse bug?

post #89 of 120 Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The bug was described in the post I quoted:

Replaced an older unit (dead power board); replacement is running 20170928V5.0 firmware. Hard lock (remote & front panel buttons unresponsive) after tuning to a channel subset; common factor seems to be 480i, 'searching' for EPG info.
Right royal pain. Current workaround - disconnect antenna, power cycle, delete known bad actors.
IOW that firmware version locks up when tuning to some subchannels, requiring you to disconnect the antenna to recover! (Otherwise it just locks up again when you unplug it and plug it back in.) Only fix he found was to delete the subchannels that cause his box to lock up.

Obviously if that report is correct, you don't want to use that firmware version, but that's what the newest iViews come with. So if you buy an iView, you'll want to download the firmware version I linked to, and update your iView with it.
post #90 of 120 Old 02-01-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The bug was described in the post I quoted:
Right royal pain. Current workaround - disconnect antenna, power cycle, delete known bad actors.
IOW that firmware version locks up when tuning to some subchannels, requiring you to disconnect the antenna to recover! (Otherwise it just locks up again when you unplug it and plug it back in.) Only fix he found was to delete the subchannels that cause his box to lock up.

Obviously if that report is correct, you don't want to use that firmware version, but that's what the newest iViews come with. So if you buy an iView, you'll want to download the firmware version I linked to, and update your iView with it.
Oh, sorry about that. I thought you were quoting someone else.

So the firmware can be downgraded to that version that you linked if the box comes with a newer version? It's very sad that a newer version introduces new problems compared to the older version. Don't these companies beta test their software and work out the bugs before it's release?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page