RCA DTA880 is it decent? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 120 Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
I was quoting someone on the iView thread who reported that bug with their latest firmware, not someone else on this thread.

I've been generally disappointed with the quality of the firmware for all these boxes. I'm just guessing, but I think there's a Chinese company that does the firmware for all these boxes "to order." But they don't have ATSC television in China, so there's no way for them to test it under real-world conditions, and AFAIK few of the importers bother with beta testing. (HomeWorx is a rare exception that does beta test at least some of their firmware updates. Unfortunately, their firmware never fixed the channel rescan bug you asked about originally.)

Making matters worse is the fact that hardware manufacturers keep changing which chips they make, so the firmware has to keep being updated to match the hardware changes. When MStar (apparently) stopped making the 7816 chip, everyone switched to the 7802 instead, and ordered new firmware for the new chip. In many cases, bugs in the 7816 firmware versions that had finally been fixed reappeared in the 7802 versions, and had to be fixed all over again! It wasn't until mid-2016 that decent firmware for the 7802 finally started coming out.

Then iView tried to make more changes to try to deal with cable TV better, and it got all screwed up again Luckily, they post their firmware on their web site, so you can revert to an earlier, better version like the one I linked to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I was quoting someone on the iView thread who reported that bug with their latest firmware, not someone else on this thread.

I've been generally disappointed with the quality of the firmware for all these boxes. I'm just guessing, but I think there's a Chinese company that does the firmware for all these boxes "to order." But they don't have ATSC television in China, so there's no way for them to test it under real-world conditions, and AFAIK few of the importers bother with beta testing. (HomeWorx is a rare exception that does beta test at least some of their firmware updates. Unfortunately, their firmware never fixed the channel rescan bug you asked about originally.)

Making matters worse is the fact that hardware manufacturers keep changing which chips they make, so the firmware has to keep being updated to match the hardware changes. When MStar (apparently) stopped making the 7816 chip, everyone switched to the 7802 instead, and ordered new firmware for the new chip. In many cases, bugs in the 7816 firmware versions that had finally been fixed reappeared in the 7802 versions, and had to be fixed all over again! It wasn't until mid-2016 that decent firmware for the 7802 finally started coming out.

Then iView tried to make more changes to try to deal with cable TV better, and it got all screwed up again Luckily, they post their firmware on their web site, so you can revert to an earlier, better version like the one I linked to.
Alright, I'l look into the iView and downgrade to that older version if necessary. I think the only new problem I will face is that the time will be in the 24 hour format, where the RCA DTA-880 and another brand out there are in the 12 hour format. I'm not good with the 24 hour format, but hopefully I can adapt to it. Also, reading reviews on these boxes, some people reported out of sync audio (both live & recordings) and a dull picture via HDMI. Have you experienced any of those issues?

Yeah, China doesn't have the ATSC standard over there, but it's amazing that these boxes work as good as they do. All these boxes would be better if the firmware was less buggy and the hardware had some quality control. I'm sure these boxes would cost about twice as much if they were built better, and even at around $80 dollars I would still consider one. Yes, they can't do everything that a TiVo can do, like record more than one channel at once or record while watching another recording, but they're good enough for me.

Newer is not always better.
post #93 of 120 Old 02-02-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I think the only new problem I will face is that the time will be in the 24 hour format, where the RCA DTA-880 and another brand out there are in the 12 hour format. I'm not good with the 24 hour format, but hopefully I can adapt to it. Also, reading reviews on these boxes, some people reported out of sync audio (both live & recordings) and a dull picture via HDMI. Have you experienced any of those issues?

Yeah, China doesn't have the ATSC standard over there, but it's amazing that these boxes work as good as they do. All these boxes would be better if the firmware was less buggy and the hardware had some quality control. I'm sure these boxes would cost about twice as much if they were built better, and even at around $80 dollars I would still consider one. Yes, they can't do everything that a TiVo can do, like record more than one channel at once or record while watching another recording, but they're good enough for me.
I think the Chinese developer is slowly catching on to our strange foreign ways. The iView firmware I linked to (as well as later versions) supports both 12- and 24-hour time format. (There's a "Time Type" toggle in the Time menu.) The latest firmware for HomeWorx boxes also supports both time formats. The Terk version of this box supports 12-hour (but not 24-hour) time.

I haven't noticed any problems with out-of-sync audio, and HDMI looks fine to me. Composite video has a dull picture though. (The older iView boxes had better composite video, but I think someone decided to save 25 cents on parts, figuring most folks would use HDMI.)
snowdog 88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 120 Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
OK, this "channel re-initialization just because something minor in the station's PSIP changed" is getting ridiculous. Every time it happens, any scheduled recordings related to that channel disappears or gets corrupt. I know this is a common problem with these boxes, but it seems that more stations in my area are doing this now. One station will do it almost every time I turn the box on. Others will do it every 3-4 days, a few don't do it at all.
This bug has pretty much ended my use of the Mediasonic box also. I was using the box to handle my wife's daily chat shows after which I would pull them off, commercial-remove them, and drop them into Plex.

Looking back on it now - I think a problem that I was attributing to the Sandisk Ultra flash drive may likely have been this bug. Now that I'm aware of it - I can trigger the bug at-will on one particular sub-channel. For my wife's daily shows - they are all on a single channel which was a perfect use for the Mediasonic. However, the channel often has drifts on the time sent via PSIP and can be either 2 - 3 minutes slow ... 2 - 3 minutes fast ... or anywhere in between. Occasionally time gets corrected and whatever that correction is blanks out the timer recording. I can go weeks before it gets triggered ... or it can be triggered 2-3 times a week. One never knows.

Missing her daily programs today was simply the last straw. And now that I know what is finally causing it (and can reliably trigger it), I have to retire the box. I would be just fine with every other limitation of these boxes for my purpose ... but never being sure whether something got recorded is a fatal flaw for me.

I think I may gamble $30 and try the Iview. As long as it doesn't lose a schedule - it may fit in fine for her daily shows.
post #95 of 120 Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
This bug has pretty much ended my use of the Mediasonic box also. I was using the box to handle my wife's daily chat shows after which I would pull them off, commercial-remove them, and drop them into Plex.

Looking back on it now - I think a problem that I was attributing to the Sandisk Ultra flash drive may likely have been this bug. Now that I'm aware of it - I can trigger the bug at-will on one particular sub-channel. For my wife's daily shows - they are all on a single channel which was a perfect use for the Mediasonic. However, the channel often has drifts on the time sent via PSIP and can be either 2 - 3 minutes slow ... 2 - 3 minutes fast ... or anywhere in between. Occasionally time gets corrected and whatever that correction is blanks out the timer recording. I can go weeks before it gets triggered ... or it can be triggered 2-3 times a week. One never knows.

Missing her daily programs today was simply the last straw. And now that I know what is finally causing it (and can reliably trigger it), I have to retire the box. I would be just fine with every other limitation of these boxes for my purpose ... but never being sure whether something got recorded is a fatal flaw for me.

I think I may gamble $30 and try the Iview. As long as it doesn't lose a schedule - it may fit in fine for her daily shows.
I've noticed a slight time shift on my daily recordings of My Three Sons on MeTV. After selecting a recording, I would punch the Goto button and key in 2:10 to jump exactly to the beginning of the show. Now it's either that or 2:00. I haven't paid any attention to see if this happens after the "re-initialization" of the station. All I know is that it started on January 8th when my local affiliate (WOIO) started channel-sharing with it's sister station (WUAB). My local ION affiliate seems to do it every 3-4 hours, and the secondary PBS station does it every day, making a timed recording on those stations almost impossible.

Also interesting, I have 1 subchannel that will automatically change the transmitted aspect ratio to match the show/commercial that's currently being played. This causes the box to re-initialize once the change takes effect, but it doesn't affect the other channels being transmitted by that station. I also don't believe it will delete any associated recordings for that station. That said, there is a small chance that the re-initialization will not wipe out/corrupt a scheduled recording. I knew that WUAB was going to move over to WOIO in the middle of the morning, and that of course would trigger a re-initialization due to the addition of the new channels. I woke up early to reset the scheduled recording for My Three Sons, only to find out that it remained in tact after the re-initialization. The new channels for WUAB were added, and the label for MeTV was slightly different. (Me Tv --> MeTv). I've also had my primary PBS station corrupt my scheduled recording of This Old House, and by letting it go, another re-initialization of the station returned it back to normal.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 02-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.
post #96 of 120 Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman33 View Post
its sold locally so I want to buy it if its decent?
I purchased the RCA DTA880 about a month ago (Jan.2018) and I leave it on all the time to record programs with a Panasonic DVR model DMR-EH75V that I purchased about 10 years ago. And I don't have a flat screen. Both my televisions are a 4:3 SD TV.

The only problem I have seen is the audio occasionally being out sync. Sill not sure what causes that. Could it be the broadcaster? I live in Maryland.

On the positive side – this DTA880 fixes a problem that I get with Fios. I have Verizon Fios connected to one of those TVs. When I watch any channel with the FIOS I frequently see part of the image cut off on the right or left size. As you might guess – this is very annoying and makes it difficult to understand the news. The display problem is not always noticeable, but for example, if the program left justifies the credits I would not be able to see the first three letters of each word. Oddly, there is NO option on the FIOS remote to correct this display – but with the DTA880 this problem is solved.

By the way – I did record a program using the DTA880 USB flash drive and had no issues. But I prefer my Panasonic DVR which has a hard drive, and of course I don't have rent that from Verizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_display_issue.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2356338  
post #97 of 120 Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcoxusa View Post
I purchased the RCA DTA880 about a month ago (Jan.2018) and I leave it on all the time to record programs with a Panasonic DVR model DMR-EH75V that I purchased about 10 years ago. And I don't have a flat screen. Both my televisions are a 4:3 SD TV.

The only problem I have seen is the audio occasionally being out sync. Sill not sure what causes that. Could it be the broadcaster? I live in Maryland.

On the positive side – this DTA880 fixes a problem that I get with Fios. I have Verizon Fios connected to one of those TVs. When I watch any channel with the FIOS I frequently see part of the image cut off on the right or left size. As you might guess – this is very annoying and makes it difficult to understand the news. The display problem is not always noticeable, but for example, if the program left justifies the credits I would not be able to see the first three letters of each word. Oddly, there is NO option on the FIOS remote to correct this display – but with the DTA880 this problem is solved.

By the way – I did record a program using the DTA880 USB flash drive and had no issues. But I prefer my Panasonic DVR which has a hard drive, and of course I don't have rent that from Verizon.
I have noticed the syncing issue in my recordings. It's not too bad, but it is noticeable when people begin to talk. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, pausing or rewinding the recording for a few seconds will re-sync the audio and picture. While watching the recordings on my computer with Windows Media Player, the sync is always off, like ~300ms. It seems to be better in sync while watching on VLC.

Just curious, but seeing that you just purchased the unit, can you bring up the menu, go to system, select information and list the SW Version? I want to know if RCA is updating the firmware on later productions.

post #98 of 120 Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can attach a snapshot showing the system information you asked for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toshiba.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	2358094  
post #99 of 120 Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcoxusa View Post
I can attach a snapshot showing the system information you asked for.
Thanks. It's the same software & hardware version as my RCA DTA880 (On post 28).

post #100 of 120 Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Got a DTA880 hoping it would deal with an issue I have with an AT103B. HA! Just been presented with some new problems.

1) When I do a scan, it detects the 92 local TV channels and one radio channel. It then comes up with a smiley face saying "Saving". If I surf the channels, there is nothing between 21-4 and the 30 series, BUT, the list just before the saving message showed at least three other channels, one of which (27-1) I REALLY want. Color me baffled.

2) Just discovered that 27-1 is on RF channel 15 and there is a VERY strong station on RF 16. I wonder if the receiver cannot take the heat. Maybe I'll put in a splitter tomorrow and see what that does for me.

3) Here's where it gets weird. The problem with the AT103B is that I can watch that channel, but cannot get it to appear in the channel field to set up a recording. the same is true for MANY channels on that box.

4) There is another minor annoyance with the DTA880. When it is recording, you cannot dismiss the time counter in the top left of the screen. You can on the AT103B.

Any thoughts?
post #101 of 120 Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp8472 View Post
1) When I do a scan, it detects the 92 local TV channels and one radio channel. It then comes up with a smiley face saying "Saving". If I surf the channels, there is nothing between 21-4 and the 30 series, BUT, the list just before the saving message showed at least three other channels, one of which (27-1) I REALLY want. Color me baffled.
Hmmm... I don't have that smiley face on my DTA880, though I know the other brand names do. Is the firmware version the same as the above post?

I don't know what to say about certain channels not saving. Did you try adding the missing channels using the "manually add channel" option? Did you try resetting the DVR? Perhaps 92 channels are too many for the DVR to manage? I get just under 50 here in the Cleveland/Akron market, and all of them are viewable.

Quote:
2) Just discovered that 27-1 is on RF channel 15 and there is a VERY strong station on RF 16. I wonder if the receiver cannot take the heat. Maybe I'll put in a splitter tomorrow and see what that does for me.
The tuners in these boxes don't handle multipath, adjacent channels and strong signals very well. Are you seeing a brief breakup every few seconds in the picture? If so, then try installing the splitter right before the box to knock ~3.5dB off the signal to help prevent tuner overload. I had to use two in order for all my channels to come in with no breakups. The downside is that the weaker stations may become problematic or unwatchable.

Quote:
4) There is another minor annoyance with the DTA880. When it is recording, you cannot dismiss the time counter in the top left of the screen. You can on the AT103B.
These DVR's basically act as a VCR. They are not meant to be used for recording one station while watching another, or the channel that is being recorded. Watch the other channel (or the one you're recording) through your TV, assuming it has it's own tuner.

post #102 of 120 Old 03-28-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps 92 channels are too many for the DVR to manage?
It should handle 400; plenty for OTA use (although cable users often hit the limit due to the fact that the firmware doesn't skip scrambled channels)
post #103 of 120 Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Forgot to mention that I did try to manually add the missing channels. When I input the channel I wanted to scan, the signal strength (quality, whatever) bar came up nice and strong, so I press OK and then on came the "Save" icon. Surfing back revealed no channel stored. What I don't get is that in autoscan it shows the ID of every station I know of in this market, but does not save them all. My TV and the AT103B grab the lot, but the AT103B will not access many of them via the record menu. That's just screwed up.

I'm going to throw in a splitter or two with the DTA880 and see what happens.

I'll check the hardware and software tags when I get home.
post #104 of 120 Old 03-28-2018, 09:55 PM

Just as background, I am 23 miles from the towers and I have line of sight because they are up on a mountain.

OK, more checking shows me that channels 14 to 19 are fully populated. The stations on RF 15 and 17 are pushing BIG signals, especially on RF 15. The NBC affiliate is on RF 22 and I can cook chicken with their signal.

I have cascaded TWO 3-way splitters and RF 15 and 22 are still pegging the signal on my TV. Guess my antenna set up is working well, almost too well on UHF.

Out of curiosity I checked the signal levels on the high VHF channels. The Fox affiliate on RF 9 is another chicken cooker. With the splitters in line, the CBS station on RF 7 has INCREASED in level, a sure sign that the receiver was being driven into limit.

Sadly, I still cannot get the DTA880 to lock onto the station on RF 15. Gotta do something else now, more tests tomorrow.
post #105 of 120 Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, you should know that 3-way splitters are tricky. Most are two cascaded 2-way splitters internally, so you have one "strong" (-3.5dB) output and two "weak" (-7dB) outputs. Picking outputs randomly, you would have a 1-in-9 chance of picking both "strong" outputs, a 4-in-9 chance of picking "weak" outputs on both splitters, and a 5-in-9 chance of picking one of each.

Which means that most likely, you got about -10.5dB worth of attenuation by cascading two 3-way splitters. But if you measure the outputs from each splitter separately, you could select a "weak" output from each one and get a bit more attenuation (-14dB), which might help a bit more with your very strong signals.

A few 3-way splitters are "balanced" and provide about -5.5dB attenuation at each output, but you usually have to go looking specifically for those.
post #106 of 120 Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
BTW, you should know that 3-way splitters are tricky. Most are two cascaded 2-way splitters internally, so you have one "strong" (-3.5dB) output and two "weak" (-7dB) outputs.
I have one of those marked that way...somewhere. Probably packed away in a box. I took the nuclear option and ordered 20 dB, 6 dB and 3 dB pads off Amazon.

If I get a chance this weekend I'll do a more controlled test recording the reported S/N ratio and IF AGC percentage on my Sony's diagnostics. Perhaps that will tell me more than the signal strength bar graph alone.

Edited to add:

Just did some path loss calculations to see what the signal levels are like.

Channel 16 RF is a 1 MW ERP station. 23 miles of path loss gives me -27.5 dBm of signal for a zero gain antenna. Assuming an antenna gain of about 5.5 dB (Winegard 7000R with the Lo band attachments, we use Ch 2 here), that puts -22 dBm at the antenna terminals. However, there is the cable loss from in the antenna downlead and a two-way splitter, so the antenna gain probably goes away. At a conservative estimate I have -30 dBm at the input to my TV or converter. That is a whole chunk of signal.

Now the punchline. I have FOUR 1 MW TV stations banging away between Ch16 and Ch40.

It's not a lot better on VHF Hi. The Ch9 station is running 87 kW ERP giving about -30 dBm at the antenna, and likely something close to that at the receiver input. Even our Ch2 station is giving me close to -30 dBm because of the lower path losses.

Last edited by Sp8472; 03-30-2018 at 01:01 PM.
post #107 of 120 Old 03-30-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sure sounds like your signals are very strong; something these boxes (eMatic & RCA) typically deal with poorly. Could you post a link to a TVFool.com report for your address?
post #108 of 120 Old 03-30-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It sure sounds like your signals are very strong; something these boxes (eMatic & RCA) typically deal with poorly. Could you post a link to a TVFool.com report for your address?
Here ya go!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038651831fb3f

For some reason TVFool does not show KBLR, the other 1MW station.

The station I cannot get is on ch 15. According to TVFool it is 18 dB lower than the 1MW monster on 16. Given that TVFool gives a NM of 44 dB for the weaker station, it almost implies that the receiver is being overdriven by close to that amount. Doesn't seem likely as I can receive ch 17 no problem even though that has only 39 dB NM.

I'm going to try and lock the receiver to ch 15 using an indoor antenna and see how that goes.

Last edited by Sp8472; 03-30-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #109 of 120 Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks!
Quote:
For some reason TVFool does not show KBLR, the other 1MW station.
Unfortunately TVFool has had some database issues related to the upcoming spectrum repacking. A few channels have been missing from TVFool since November. KBLR is affected by the repacking so it's not surprising that it's one of the ones missing from TVFool. Hope TVFool gets it fixed soon.
Quote:
The station I cannot get is on ch 15. According to TVFool it is 18 dB lower than the 1MW monster on 16. Given that TVFool gives a NM of 44 dB for the weaker station, it almost implies that the receiver is being overdriven by close to that amount. Doesn't seem likely as I can receive ch 17 no problem even though that has only 39 dB NM.
Normally 18 dB is well within the tolerance for ACI, but RF 16 is certainly in overload territory. I do know that ACI is worse on the channel below the strong station than on the channel above; that may account for getting 17 but not 15.
Quote:
I'm going to try and lock the receiver to ch 15 using an indoor antenna and see how that goes.
Sounds like a good idea.
post #110 of 120 Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Couldn't find my indoor antenna, but Amazon delivered the pads today! Order was wrong, naturally. received 2x3 dB instead of 1x 3dB and 1x6 dB. Also got a 20 dB pad. They knock the signals down as advertised, but the DTA880 still will not grab Ch 27-1 of RF 15.

Now a thought occurs. I'm after virtual channel 27-1 which resides on physical channel 15-1. The next channel up is virtual 15-1, physical 16-1. Cannot help wondering if having virtual and physical channels the same but relating to different stations isn't baffling the box in some way.
post #111 of 120 Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ouch. Tuners are supposed to be able to handle that. Virtual channels coinciding with RF channels happens all the time.

There could be something hinky about 27-1's PSIP that the RCA firmware doesn't like. That may also have something to do with its weird behavior on the eMatic (can't select it to record unless you move it up in front of 15-1).

Did the attenuators help the signal quality? Earlier you said the CBS signal on RF 7 got better when you cut the strength with splitters.
post #112 of 120 Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Did the attenuators help the signal quality? Earlier you said the CBS signal on RF 7 got better when you cut the strength with splitters.
I think the CBS signal strength thing may have been a figment of my imagination. However, I left the splitter in and added a 3 dB pad and found that all the very strong stations are reading 1-1.5 dB better S/N according to my Sony TV's diagnostics. I'll call it done at that.
post #113 of 120 Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Had a strange thing happen with my DVR...

I noticed that none of my schedules were recording since Sunday, and the DVR wasn't even turning on to record. I checked my schedules and the dates on all of them advanced to the next day with the year of 2029! I had to delete all my schedules and re-enter them in again as trying to correct the date would result in an invalid schedule error. The current date and time on the DVR was correct, so I have no idea why the schedules got messed up.

post #114 of 120 Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Leelbox S3

Quote:
Had a strange thing happen with my DVR...

I noticed that none of my schedules were recording since Sunday, and the DVR wasn't even turning on to record. I checked my schedules and the dates on all of them advanced to the next day with the year of 2029! I had to delete all my schedules and re-enter them in again as trying to correct the date would result in an invalid schedule error. The current date and time on the DVR was correct, so I have no idea why the schedules got messed up.

I got rid of my RCA DTA880 because of the "Mickey Mouse" remote control.! Reminded me of the Dollar store Christmas lights remote.! I bought three Leelbox S3s (love the remote) for our home and I am having the "2029" bug hit me daily.!! Leelbox support is saying they have never heard of it. My guess is very few people record or schedule viewing. I've been thru factory reset with no success. I have seen new listings for the DTA880R that appear to have a new, decent looking remote. I also wonder if all the "repacking" that has taken place in 2019 has affected this phantom date change. The Leelbox also does not have 12 hour clock option, so if you're military that will not affect you.! Manual channel add is important (I swing antenna between 4 different cities) and is the only reason I went with a box anyway, but I now like the timed event option. As I have told Leelbox support, I just cannot wait 10 years to watch my favorite programs.! LOL.
post #115 of 120 Old 10-31-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hunt View Post
I got rid of my RCA DTA880 because of the "Mickey Mouse" remote control.! Reminded me of the Dollar store Christmas lights remote.! I bought three Leelbox S3s (love the remote) for our home and I am having the "2029" bug hit me daily.!! Leelbox support is saying they have never heard of it. My guess is very few people record or schedule viewing. I've been thru factory reset with no success. I have seen new listings for the DTA880R that appear to have a new, decent looking remote. I also wonder if all the "repacking" that has taken place in 2019 has affected this phantom date change. The Leelbox also does not have 12 hour clock option, so if you're military that will not affect you.! Manual channel add is important (I swing antenna between 4 different cities) and is the only reason I went with a box anyway, but I now like the timed event option. As I have told Leelbox support, I just cannot wait 10 years to watch my favorite programs.! LOL.
Check the date & time for each station by bringing up the episode guide. The DVR will automatically set the date & time for the current station that you are tuned to. That's how I found out that a group of low powered stations in my area were transmitting the incorrect year, which upon tuning in shifted all my schedules to 2029. I've since contacted the owner of those stations about the issue and it was eventually corrected.

Yes, the remote for the RCA DTA880 is garbage. The graphite traces on my remote broke in some places, requiring me to tape a small piece of aluminum foil to bride the connection. This mainly affected the right button at first, but then the left button started acting up. Every time I repaired the traces, those buttons would work for a short time until they quit working again. It got to the point where they quit working no matter what I did. Universal remotes don't work with these DVR's and a original replacement costs almost as much as a new unit, so I bought an eMatic AT103B instead. Also, the RCA remote is extremely picky about battery voltage. Once the coin cell battery drops to about 2.8 volts the remote will quit working, requiring a new battery.
jd-ford-hd likes this.

post #116 of 120 Old 10-31-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Leelbox S3 reminds me of the ViewTV AT163/AT263/AT300: the nice feature they all share is having menu, channel, volume, and OK buttons all on the front panel. Most boxes of this type (including the RCA) only have channel up/down and power buttons. The ViewTV boxes look more "polished" than the Leelbox to me, but I've never owned one.

The Leelbox S3's remote is better than the RCA remote, but that's not saying much. Unfortunately the vast majority of these boxes, including the iView 3100 and 3200, the Terk TUNVR1, and the Homeworx HW-130, HW-180, and HW-220, use the same or a very similar small remote with the "0" key to the right of the "9" instead of below the "8" where it belongs. (Terk's remote is built a little better but essentially the same design.)

The two best remotes I've seen for boxes of this type are the ones for the aforementioned ViewTV, and for the iView 3500. (Why iView doesn't ship the 3500 remotes with the 3200 boxes is a mystery to me; those two remotes are completely interchangeable with each other.)

Homeworx and iView got the 12-hour clock option added to their firmware in 2016. Older models didn't have it. RCA has had it all along, of course.
post #117 of 120 Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 AM

[QUOTE=snowdog 88;58757906]Check the date & time for each station by bringing up the episode guide. The DVR will automatically set the date & time for the current station that you are tuned to. That's how I found out that a group of low powered stations in my area were transmitting the incorrect year, which upon tuning in shifted all my schedules to 2029. I've since contacted the owner of those stations about the issue and it was eventually corrected.=QUOTE]

I entered the EPG and checked every station, all subs and time is displayed correctly. I corrected timed event schedule yesterday and found all this when I got up this AM.!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C9345ED0-B0A7-432D-BC72-8F838512ECF1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2635622   Click image for larger version

Name:	E8761E28-DB0C-4BE2-B05F-9D94FB7B6A8C.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2635624  
post #118 of 120 Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Dennis Hunt;58765584]
Quote:
Check the date & time for each station by bringing up the episode guide. The DVR will automatically set the date & time for the current station that you are tuned to. That's how I found out that a group of low powered stations in my area were transmitting the incorrect year, which upon tuning in shifted all my schedules to 2029. I've since contacted the owner of those stations about the issue and it was eventually corrected.=QUOTE]

I entered the EPG and checked every station, all subs and time is displayed correctly. I corrected timed event schedule yesterday and found all this when I got up this AM.!!
Did you check the date too?

Although a bit time consuming, I suppose you can create a 'test schedule' and check it every time you tune to the next station until it advances to 2029.

FYI... If you want the DVR to record to an external device, you'll have to change the record mode to record. When set to view, the DVR will automatically switch over to that channel when on, but I don't think that has anything to do with the schedules advancing to 2029.

post #119 of 120 Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Fixed

[quote=snowdog 88;58765780]
Quote:
Did you check the date too?

Although a bit time consuming, I suppose you can create a 'test schedule' and check it every time you tune to the next station until it advances to 2029.

Thank you, I found it. A new station in Huntsville, AL (38.1/38.6) is beaming out the wrong time, by 10 years.!! I don't schedule events for this channel but the box is "seeing" the erroneous time/date data and is screwing with all timed events.!

FYI... If you want the DVR to record to an external device, you'll have to change the record mode to record. When set to view, the DVR will automatically switch over to that channel when on, but I don't think that has anything to do with the schedules advancing to 2029.
I have been recording with a 128GB stick with good results. I like to schedule "viewing" times so I don’t miss a minute of my favorite shows.
post #120 of 120 Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, I found it. A new station in Huntsville, AL (38.1/38.6) is beaming out the wrong time, by 10 years.!! I don't schedule events for this channel but the box is "seeing" the erroneous time/date data and is screwing with all timed events.!
W34EY-D channel 38? It appears that they are operated by HC2 Holdings, which also operates the TV stations in my area that were causing my DVR to advance to 2029. You can try and contact them on their website about the problem. In the meantime, just simply avoid tuning to any of W34EY-D's subchannels to prevent your schedules from changing to 2029, or hide/delete them from the channel list, assuming there's nothing on W34EY-D that you want to watch.
jd-ford-hd likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page