• 1 Post By crabboy
  • 1 Post By wizwor

post #1 of 13 Old 01-28-2017, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Best budget OTA (ATSC) DVR

Looking for an OTA ATSC DVR for my mother-in-law.
  • Primary requirement is budget price.
  • Must be fairly easy to use, she is a senior (choosing programs to record off a guide would be better than setting timers).
  • Must have HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV.
  • Must record and playback in HD.
  • Must get guide data OTA, she has no whole-house internet (only has a single internet-connected iPad).
Would Iview 3500STBII be king of this budget space, or is there something better? It's been awhile since that device and related ones came out.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
Looking for an OTA ATSC DVR for my mother-in-law.

1. Primary requirement is budget price.
  2. Must be fairly easy to use, she is a senior (choosing programs to record off a guide would be better than setting timers).
  3. Must have HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV.
  4. Must record and playback in HD.
  5. Must get guide data OTA, she has no whole-house internet (only has a single internet-connected iPad).

Would Iview 3500STBII be king of this budget space, or is there something better? It's been awhile since that device and related ones came out.
  1. Avoid the CM-7004.
  2. Recast, Tablo, and AirTV require a home network. That could be WiFi, but they probably need Internet access too, so it sounds like they're out too.
  3. Another budget option that comes to mind is an Android TV device, like the eMatic Jetstream AirTV Player or CM Stream+. But I think those require Internet access too.
  4. The iView meets all your requirements, except maybe #2. It does let you set recordings from a guide, as long as the show is on within the next 24 hours.
  5. If you can get a good price on a used DTVPal/CM-7000Pal or CM DVR+, they too would meet your requirements and would beat the iView for ease of use, but they're about the only alternatives I know of that do.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-06-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Oops - the Jetstream lacks a tuner
post #3 of 13 Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
You guys are responding to a >2yr old post.
According to his profile, the OP hasn't logged into AVS since Dec 2017.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
It may have been worth responding anyway. Since the thread got bumped, others are likely to see it now. Edit: Looks like the first respondent deleted his post. I'll leave mine up though.

It's sort of depressing there aren't more low-cost OTA DVRs that don't require Internet access to choose from. The iView, HomeWorx, etc. dominated this niche two years ago and still do today. The CM-7004 was a valiant attempt with a nice tuner, but the DVR function sucks; and the CM DVR+ was never really low-cost, although with luck, one might find a bargain, now that it's no longer being made....
videobruce likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Fwiw, I tried to start a new thread related to this thread but modernized to include streamed or cloud DVR solutions as well as OTA DVR. Also a specific goal is to discuss & provide solutions for normal non-techie rando people and people who have mental or physical degradations including things like recovering from a stroke.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-solution.html
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I appreciate that this topic emphasizing "no internet connection required" was bumped.
If my DVD Recorder can be fixed I won't have to deal with this "can't save it forever" nonsense (yet).

Got a MediaSonic Homeworx HW-150PVR from Amazon (delivered in <24 hours after Christmas-amazing). Don't know how old their stock is, is this a "current" model? I know there are other model numbers, such as the 180 (one would think that would be a more recent model, but Amazon says no longer available).

Its pretty crappy because the user interface sucks. And no instructions.

Also got a "Leelbox Model F6" - ordered it first then saw the Mediasonic & it seemed to describe having more features. Have not plugged the Leelbox in yet.

Its a much smaller size box with a small transformer on the plug end, but even accounting for an internal power supply on the MediaSonic, I wonder why they are so different in footprint. Larger seems better to get more cooling.

The advertising for these devices just sucks eggs; really cannot compare features. So I'm fishing around, the price is cheap & probably can return them.

So is there a "no internet" unit, that accepts being programmed via "record THIS channel, on THAT date, between X and Y" -- which has a decent user interface?

Do they all have much the same user interface -- am I wasting my time looking for an interface which works intuitively for ME ? The Leelbox has a better designed remote - numbers on the bottom, looks like usable one-handed.

And I want a "Skip 30 seconds" feature like on my DVD recorder -- that is how you skip the commercials !!!
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I'm also interested in this topic. Once DTVPal sold out, I became concerned about a replacement. I was very happy when the DVR+ arrived and own three of them. I am currently relying on TiVo Roamio/OTAs, for the most part, but these require an internet connection. At <$200 'all in', these can be considered a budget DVR. The Recast is an excellent budget DVR for those with internet access.

The main characteristics of my next budget DVR...
  1. Less than $400 'all in'
  2. PSIP sourced EPG
  3. Excellent user experience
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Have you tried air tv 1 or 2 with nice local wifi/network but no internet?

Have you considered to try any of the devices with intermittent 600k hotspot via cellphone as internet? Can plex operate nice and independently with occasional intermittent 600k hotspot? Can Alexa recast do so?

I have not seen anyone with positive results for such tests specifically. Im guessing the HD homerun devices sure can do the tuning but understand that plex does require outside internet for control and administration.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seems that to DVR with AirTV2, you need to do it thru the Sling app. Who owns sling?
https://airtv.net/products/airtv2/
and the remote is $20 extra
https://airtv.net/products/

And sling requires an internet connection:
"Streaming on any of the above devices requires an internet connection."

I presume that playing back the recorded program via sling is, by sling's definition, "streaming?" - even if its just to the TV set?

So you need a TV set that can be connected to the internet -- what sort of input jack does the TV need to have to do that? My router does not have an HDMI port, and my TV does not have an Ethernet port...
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantMyVCR View Post
I appreciate that this topic emphasizing "no internet connection required" was bumped.
...So is there a "no internet" unit, that accepts being programmed via "record THIS channel, on THAT date, between X and Y" -- which has a decent user interface?

Do they all have much the same user interface -- am I wasting my time looking for an interface which works intuitively for ME ? ,,,,And I want a "Skip 30 seconds" feature like on my DVD recorder -- that is how you skip the commercials !!!
Scan Ebay and see if you can find a DVR+ at a reasonable price. Without internet you can still get at least 24hr of guide (although it may vary by channel). You can also "record THIS channel, on THAT date, between X and Y" (VCR style).
As far as the "skip 30 seconds" feature you may be out of luck.
I have no experience with the Leelbox, but you might set it up and see whether it will do most of what you want. You can always return it if it is unsatisfactory.
wizwor likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #11 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Scan Ebay and see if you can find a DVR+ at a reasonable price.
Maybe scan for Channel Master DVR or CM7500.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If the objective is to minimize expenditure and you already have an external drive with USB connectivity, this might be an option and for the next few days it's on sale for $30:

Aluratek CONVERTS DIGITAL BROADCASTS TO YOUR TV ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE AND PROGRAM INFORMATION REAL-TIME RECORDING AND APPOINTED RECORDING 1080P FULL HD OUTPUT

https://www.frys.com/product/9723864

By finding a good companion deal or some high-capacity external SSD or HDD to maximize recording capacity, the combination with decent OTA reception might be the lowest-cost option.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Nice 22 minute video of the AluraTek Digital TV Converter Box with Digital Video Recorder in use...

Apparently a one tuner box without a grid style program guide.
jhvance likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page