Tivo Roamio OTA or Channel Master DVR+? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I have both Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime and I never have the problem of the TiVo selecting pay items from the Amazon catalog. If I search for an item that is only available from amazon for a fee, it is not listed. Go into the provider listing and make sure you only have the ones checked that you have a subscription for. Amazon and Amazon Prime are two separate boxes.
Thank you for the info. I did have all the services turned on, but after your post I turned them all off except for Netflix and Amazon Prime, which I subscribe to. So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 07-22-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclnz View Post
Thank you for the info. I did have all the services turned on, but after your post I turned them all off except for Netflix and Amazon Prime, which I subscribe to. So far, so good.
This is a really good link to have bookmarked if you are streaming:
JustWatch Streaming Search

You can set the filters to just survey the services you have -- or just look at all the services if you want to get an idea of who has what. I use this all the time when I'm on my PC and just want to check out specific shows.
aaronwt likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 52 Old 08-25-2017, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a quick question. If you are recording a show and the signal goes out, nothing will be recorded right? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 08-26-2017, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallymustang View Post
I have a quick question. If you are recording a show and the signal goes out, nothing will be recorded right? Thank you
If the signal totally goes out, yes nothing will be recorded but if the signal just breaks up badly you'll get a recording that will also break up and may also be quite a bit shorter than the actual program length. That is a 1hr program may only show 20 or 40 minutes long and say "partial" which means some of the show was good enough to record, but not all.
post #35 of 52 Old 08-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Which box are you asking about: TiVo Roamio OTA or DVR+.
@jjeff 's answer above is for Roamio OTA.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #36 of 52 Old 08-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
On the DVR+ you will get a black screen for the duration of the outage or until the timer stops recording. The advantage of this system is you still know when snippets of the show that come in are placed in the show's timeline ("it blacked out between 22 and 40 minutes in the show!") and you can fast forward through the show as normal. I had a problem with a connection on my coax that caused this to happen with one of the lower power VHF stations in my area.
sallymustang likes this.
post #37 of 52 Old 08-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Roamio OTA
post #38 of 52 Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

I have the Magnavox MDR537H... which has been a terrific device "generally" speaking. That is until I went to an HDTV display. This old DVR is 480p, and I want to step up to 1080p/HD.

I'm a bit torn on what to get. I was originally going to spring for the MDR867H, as Wajo did a terrific painstaking job researching it... seems like a great unit overall, except for some complaints of quirks. But having read up a bit on the Tivo Roamio, I'm now thinking that might be the better way to go. I appreciate this comparison topic on the Tivo Roamio and Channel Master DVR+. Given my positive experience with the older Magnavox MDR537H, would the Roamio be the best upgrade path for the money?
post #39 of 52 Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
For me four tuners are a requirement and if you haven't used as many in the past once you do there is no going back... I'm OTA with a few channels and if I miss something I want to watch it's typically not repeated (like pay channels). Often one or two nights make up the majority of what I watch during the week.

My opinion for $400 it's hard to beat TiVo with Lifetime... unless they have the $199 (with Lifetime) promo again.
Primestar31 likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |

Last edited by Charles R; 10-07-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #40 of 52 Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
For me four tuners are a requirement and if you haven't used as many in the past once you do there is no going back... I'm OTA with a few channels and if I miss something I want to watch it's typically not repeated (like pay channels). Often one or two nights make up the majority of what I watch during the week.

My opinion for $400 it's hard to beat TiVo with Lifetime... unless they have the $199 (with Lifetime) promo again.
Charles, the Tivo Roamio is occasionally discounted that heavily? With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up rather fast, I'd definitely hold out to see if such good pricing could be had.

My general feeling is that I'd be fine with 2 tuners (I've got just one in my current DVR, with an even better one in my TV), so 4 isn't a major need. But I've unequivocally dismissed the Channel Master due to its poor tuner. It seems they went overboard on trying to make it very slim. Who cares if the thing is sitting under or adjacent to your TV?
post #41 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM

As far as the Roamio OTA, single button-press commercial skip is worth the price of admission all on its own vs. any other DVR.
osu1991 and smithsabom like this.

- kelson h

post #42 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by garence View Post
Charles, the Tivo Roamio is occasionally discounted that heavily? With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up rather fast, I'd definitely hold out to see if such good pricing could be had.

My general feeling is that I'd be fine with 2 tuners (I've got just one in my current DVR, with an even better one in my TV), so 4 isn't a major need. But I've unequivocally dismissed the Channel Master due to its poor tuner. It seems they went overboard on trying to make it very slim. Who cares if the thing is sitting under or adjacent to your TV?
It has been discounted down to $199 a few times. However, the last few big sales they had this year were at $299~. If you think you might want one, I'd grab for it anytime it came down to at least $300 but it MUST come with Lifetime (All-In) service!
post #43 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
As far as the Roamio OTA, single button-press commercial skip is worth the price of admission all on its own vs. any other DVR.
Is it very accurate, able to sense the start and end of commercials without clipping content?
post #44 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Is it very accurate, able to sense the start and end of commercials without clipping content?
It doesn't have to sense the beginning of the commercial. You do that and push the button to skip. It then skips to the end of the commercial block. If it errs, it does so on the side of the commercial and not the content. It's not perfect but it is good enough to become immediately addictive. Wouldn't have a DVR without it.

- kelson h

post #45 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Its within a second or two of being accurate. Basically the programming breaks are manually marked by Tivo staff during primetime and those skip spots become available to the tivo within a few minutes of a shows finish.

Its changed the way I watch and has made watching more enjoyable. When a show has skip, just push the channel button at the ad break and it skips to the next section of programming instantly.
drh3b likes this.
post #46 of 52 Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I'm surprised about your statement about the DVR+ tuner. It works better with the signals I get than the tuner in my Samsung TV. I have heard that it has a problem with multipath when you have very strong signals, and maybe that's what you are reacting to, but to say the tuners were compromised to make them slim is a stretch at a minimum. I have "talked" with several people who have both Tivo Roamios and DVR+, etiher currently or swapping one out for another, and none have mentioned the tuner on the DVR+ being "poor".
post #47 of 52 Old 10-14-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
And even better, fully automatic comskip if you run kmttg on a PC in your house. No button presses just like in the old ReplayTV days, but with almost 100% reliability (ReplayTV was never 100%).
post #48 of 52 Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And even better, fully automatic comskip if you run kmttg on a PC in your house. No button presses just like in the old ReplayTV days, but with almost 100% reliability (ReplayTV was never 100%).
I know you can do that (but forgot about it) and I have a media server up and running that I could implement that on -- I just never got around to giving it a try. I take it you have done so and are happy with it? That might push me over the energy barrier.

- kelson h

post #49 of 52 Old 11-17-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lightbulb AutoSkip on kmttg...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I know you can do that (but forgot about it) and I have a media server up and running that I could implement that on -- I just never got around to giving it a try. I take it you have done so and are happy with it? That might push me over the energy barrier.
@Kelson ,

You never owned a ReplayTV with built-in 'Commercial Skip'?

IIRC, it sensed the totally black frames that were usually inserted between program material and commercials. Thus, if someone wearing black / very dark clothing passed close enough to the camera to completely block it, you'd get an 'accidental' Commercial Skip. Networking and Commercial Skip (and DVArchive, IVSMagic, Poopli, etc...) - that's why I spent a decade on ReplayTV between my Series1 and my Series5.

AutoSkip in kmttg works very well, unless you actually see a glimpse of a commercial that you'd like to rewind back into. It 'jumps' right back out until you disable the 'AutoSkip Service' for that particular TiVo unit. The kmttg Wiki says that you can 'toggle' it on and off by selecting channel 1 or 0 on LiveTV, but I don't seem to be able to get that to work. I'm currently running kmttg 2.2s and there are some 'timing tweaks' in kmttg 2.4b (that I haven't tried yet) but with 2.2s, sometimes I need to hit the 'TiVo Button' twice on the remote to get the 'Skip' icon to appear on the NPL. Only then will kmttg see it and add the cut points into the AutoSkip Table (this 'might' be automated in 2.4b). Also, (very) randomly 2.2s would miss the first few commercial cuts in a show (i.e. a 60 minute show would have 2-3 vs the normal 5-6). Rerunning 2.2s would correct this - reported to be a 'slow TiVo unit response' ('tweaked' in 2.4b). Do you LURK on TCF? Better to read about kmttg there than to have someone 'repeat' the info here.

MONTHS AGO, we talked about PLEX file naming via kmttg. I now have a PLEX Server running on a NAS. For my needs, the .EDL 'cut' file created by kmttg is sufficient input for the 'decrypted' .MPG to now automatically cut commercials out of a recording that I want to keep around. For 'Watch & Delete', either AutoSkip or ~6-8 presses of the 'Skip' button suffice. Strangely, the PLEX Server also seems to have a decent 'Optimize' function that I'm currently experimenting with. The 'now dead re: software development' Roamio line's PLEX Client is limited to 4Mbps @ 720p so older 4:3 SD content (i.e. StarTrek, Battlestar Galactica, etc... from SyFyHD) doesn't seem to suffer (and takes up much less space). For GT 4Mbps @ 1080i, that old Seagate FAT+ you recommended, along with my Patriot PBO and Core media streamers play it (.MPG with or without commercials cut) just fine (the Patriot units have 30 Second Skip and 8 Second Rewind).

BTW, I thought that you WERE already running kmttg? Maybe just an older version?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #50 of 52 Old 11-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
BTW, I thought that you WERE already running kmttg? Maybe just an older version?
Ever since I put a pair of 3TB HDD's in my 2 Roamio's I've been using kmttg a lot less. With that much in-unit storage I don't have much need to boost recordings to my server. For the ones I do have on my server, I use the StreamBaby app to play them back on the Roamio, not the Plex app. The StreamBaby/Roamio app streams the recordings on the server at the original resolution and bitrate -- unlike the Plex/Roamio app. It also has skip foreward/back which is set to a defalt 30s/8s but can be changed to whatever you want. So I generally don't bother to edit out the commercials.

- kelson h

post #51 of 52 Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
I run kmttg for auto-skip, that's it. But it is WAY worth it just for that feature.

I use pyTivo for PC-to-Tivo (and vice-versa) transfers, but do very little of that.
post #52 of 52 Old 11-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Ever since SteamBaby was resurrected and updated I haven't had the need to transfer anything back to a TiVo. I can use kmttg to transfer the recordings to the server and stream them back in the future -- retaining all the meta-data.

Kmttg integrates VideoRedo very nicely. If I feel like it, I can first use kmttg to download the SkipMode data and create VideoRedo .vpj commercial cut files for the recordings I want to transfer. Then when I transfer the recordings, kmttg transfers the .tivo file then links in VRD to cut the commercials from the SkipMode data and resave the edited recording as a .tivo file, retaining the meta-data for StreamBaby to display -- all unattended. If the SkipMode data cuts are not perfect when I stream it back, I can use the skip forward/backward in StreamBaby to compensate.

Running kmttg auto-skip like you do is a great alternative option if that is the way you want to roll. It is just amazing that kmttg provides all this functionality for TiVo for free.

Every time I thought about playing with PyTivo I found the whole installation process to be to cumbersome and daunting.

As pertains to this thread, the DVR+ can't hold a candle to the TiVo's whole home network capabilities.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page