Terk TUNVR1 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 87 Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Member
 
tachmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Fry's has Terk for $30 again

This time it is a Sunday promo code so it is good through Saturday 12/30/17. Free shipping.
tachmn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 87 Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
BriscoCountyJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The Terk tuner is onsale today at Fry's with the promo code for today for $29.99
BriscoCountyJr is offline  
post #63 of 87 Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HoustonPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So far, after several months the Terk has been good enough.

It works on recording about 98% percent of the time. The 2% it fails to record is most often I interfered with the process some how. It does not like to be disturbed while recording LOL.

I could use either the EPG method to record; which typically means I will lose about 10-20 seconds at the start of the show. Or I could use the timer method (start 1min early), which means the default name for the recording would be wrong, but can later be correctly named etc.

The portable Seagate expansion drive at 1TB (about $45), seems to be a perfect match for the Terk. So far I have zero problems with it. And of course a ridiculous amount of space. The drive cost more that the $30 Terk LOL

Yes, the remote that comes with the Terk is a 100% joke. I think it was in the first week of ownership I simply programmed the Sony remote (a discontinued model) to handle it all. I use the one remote for TV, Tivo, BluRay, and Terk. The benefit with programmed mapping, all the keys are the same from device to device; that way I never have to guess for which button to hit. List Programs or Guide or anything else are the same buttons for the TiVo and the Terk, and most of the BluRay too (it does not record-lol).
HoustonPerson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 87 Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Newbie
 
teslabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had an issue with "Descriptive Audio", when a narrator talks during the show, how do you turn it off?????? I found nothing in the manual that talks about it, can anyone help, thanks.....
teslabe is offline  
post #65 of 87 Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
The Audio button (just below the power button) on the remote should let you select the desired audio track. Only one track will include descriptive audio (although it may be labeled "Spanish" or some such, because audio tracks are normally distinguished only by their language code); the other track should omit it.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #66 of 87 Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
found link to V3 firmware

Apr 20 2017-17:32:26-V3
cwmike is offline  
post #67 of 87 Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
cant post link for some reason

http(static.voxxintl.com(firmware(TUNVR1(usb_upg rade_all_flash.bin

replace ( with /
cwmike is offline  
post #68 of 87 Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
bought a TUNVR1 from Frys
it came with V2 firmware

the picture it displays on my analog tv is too dark and the colors are oversaturated
i thought V3 might fix it because i had the same problem with my iView which a firmware change fixed

but it did not help

i have had the Terk too long to return it
cwmike is offline  
post #69 of 87 Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Thanks for the link! Now I have a way to get back to V3 if I cross-flash my Terk with another box's firmware.

I have enough posts for a link: http://static.voxxintl.com/firmware/TUNVR1/ gets you there.

Edit: With Terk V3 firmware in hand, I finally got to try cross-flashing HomeWorx and iView firmware onto my Terk. None of them bricked my Terk ; unfortuately, they all disabled the Terk's tuner so I couldn't watch or record anything . So, not a fruitful experiment. The versions I tried were:

  • HW-150 version 2.1
  • HW-150 version 5.5.1
  • iView 3500 version dated 20160815 (labeled "1511-EPGFix" on iView's Web site)

So I'm back to V3 again. I wish Terk would post a later version; I know the new boxes are up to V6.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-21-2018 at 03:16 PM.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #70 of 87 Old 05-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
JHBrandt
thanks for all your efforts, the information helped me decide to purchase an iView and the confidence to upgrade its firmware.

As to the Terk, where did you learn of a V6 firmware?
cwmike is offline  
post #71 of 87 Old 05-27-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmike View Post
JHBrandt
thanks for all your efforts, the information helped me decide to purchase an iView and the confidence to upgrade its firmware.

As to the Terk, where did you learn of a V6 firmware?
Earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post
Details from the Terk box I have:

SW Version: April 20 2017-17:32:26-V6
HW Version: ABL7802-R836-A

AFAIK - Terk/VOXX has not made anything newer or posted anything on their web site.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #72 of 87 Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post
Details from the Terk box I have:

SW Version: April 20 2017-17:32:26-V6
HW Version: ABL7802-R836-A
That was back in Nov 2017 but, the date he gave for V6 matches that of V3.
Also it contradicts earlier posts where he said that he had V3.

ViewTV has a newer V4 dated Sept 2017.
The web page lists the same
"ABL7802-R836-A" hardware version as Terk but,
to use it I guess I would need a ViewTV remote.
I don't think they sell them separately. The ViewTV remote looks as nice as the iView's.

Last edited by cwmike; 05-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.
cwmike is offline  
post #73 of 87 Old 05-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I found firmware update instructions.
It's just basic info,
has some nice pictures of the Terk UI in it.

http://static.voxxintl.com/firmware/TUNVR1/TUNVR1_Instructions.pdf
cwmike is offline  
post #74 of 87 Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmike View Post
That was back in Nov 2017 but, the date he gave for V6 matches that of V3.
Also it contradicts earlier posts where he said that he had V3.
Nice catch. It appears V6 was just a typo and that V3 is likely the latest Terk firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmike View Post
ViewTV has a newer V4 dated Sept 2017. The web page lists the same "ABL7802-R836-A" hardware version as Terk but, to use it I guess I would need a ViewTV remote. I don't think they sell them separately. The ViewTV remote looks as nice as the iView's.
Yes, I too would like to get my hands on a ViewTV remote. Others have praised it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
I've always considered the other remotes to be too small and the iView 3500II to be a little too big.

The ViewTV remote is just the right size.
(Although I don't find the iView 3500 remote to be too big, personally.) Besides just buying a ViewTV, the only way I can think of to get a ViewTV remote is to buy a programmable remote such as a Nevo C2 or Harmony, and load the ViewTV codes into it.

I discovered HomeWorX and iView firmware doesn't seem to work correctly with the Terk, so ViewTV firmware looks like our only chance for an update.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #75 of 87 Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HoustonPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FWIW my post # 18 shows the V-3.

I went and looked at the information screen to "see" - It is still version 3, which is how it came in the box; I may have miss typed it some place else? But I did not look too closely.

It is an ok DVR box. Sometimes, because of all the trees-poor signal, it will get a "bit error" while recording and can or will corrupt the recording making very difficult for playback. If you fast forward through the recorded defect, you usually see the rest of the show; most of the times.


My post #39 was wrong, so I went back and changed it to V3 - most likely too much beer and I fell on the keyboard.

Last edited by HoustonPerson; 06-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.
HoustonPerson is offline  
post #76 of 87 Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
LOL. At least it looks like we all have the same version (v3) - and we have a download link for it now.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #77 of 87 Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
dishrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Menards has these on sale this week f/$35:
https://www.menards.com/main/electri...6454800&ipos=1
dishrich is offline  
post #78 of 87 Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings. Been following this thread about the same model
Terk TUNVR1 I have. Bought it 11-30-2018.
SWV- Apr 20 2017-17:32:26-V3
HWV- ABL7802-R836-A <---this I'm pretty sure is the IC tuner chip installed.

I needed a atsc tuner, not a digital to analog tuner. This industry of cheap tuners is incredibly confusing and in bred. I think only a few make all the under $50 models.

Also in the manual this is clearly stated about recording problems - USB device should be USB 3.0
USB 2.0 standard does not have the file speed and this includes most portable hard drives with the 2.0 standard. However, a 2.0 external drive may work if it's ac powered and not off the USB port. It's a possible power issue as well when recording.

But asking this question about a possible strange behavior when just using it for OTA tuning. I live in a northern area and only able to get maximum 5 sources for around 9-11 channels. The vizio had 5 sources/ 7 channels at best.

Vizio HD tv with internal tuner. Tv tuner has crapped out as far as I can tell.
I know that Vizio had great numbers of complaints about it's tuners and their answer was to remove tv tuners from most all of their tv's starting in 2017 I guess.

So, enter the Terk. My antenna setup is fine and worked well until vizio failure. All cables are new and working at the time. Totally followed manual instructions to the tee and set up the terk for hdmi output to my hdmi3 input. Could not figure out how to bypass vizio tuner at the RF, so I went with Hdmi. Which is better quality anyhow.

The Terk almost automatically takes you to the tuning process. Terk doesn't not have a user input for cable/antenna input source so I assume it just automatically senses for it. Terk will scan for Qualm, (sp) which is Cable tv frequencies and not OTA. For Qualm, one must have an active cable service and attach that cable. I don't, but I assume the Terk will sense this as well as an source without user input.

Here's the weird. Tuning started right up, found 5 sources in less than half scanned, and with final finish, I had 5 sources or networks, with 11 different channels. 3 were weaker, but the original 9 were rock solid, much better than the vizio ever was. Did nothing but watch tv for a half hour. I did not touch anything else or used any usb at all. Didn't even enter that part of the menu.
All original cabling and such intact. Then decided to switch out to a brand new ru6 video cable as I was going to run that into the basement for my planned install of another device elsewhere and a powered splitter. I had the new powered splitter already in line and the picture was perfect in the front room where this was going on. Hoping no one trips over the cables laying around during the testing. Attached new cable, Trek came up with the logo as usual, went right to the channel tuner page. Nothing was found during the new scan. I then did a system factory reset. Tried again, nothing scanned. Did this process like 5 times. Then powered it down, pulled the power and everything else and let it sit overnight. Then next day, put it all back together like it was new. After the logo, it takes you to the tuner if you haven't scanned anything yet. I did the scan and nothing came up.

Okay, I didn't move any cables other than putting my new one in while just leaving everything where it was. So, is my new cable bad? To check that I used it elsewhere in the house and it was fine. Just to make sure, I used the original cable with the great picture and put it all back together like instructed as if new. Trek came up and went right to the channel search page, which tells me nothing has been saved yet. So, fully expecting everything to come back on this scan, nothing came up.
Reset sequence done to exhaustion, no results.

So what the heck just happened? Is the trek keeping some sort of tuning memory?
It worked the very first time with the new amp splitter which I knew worked elsewhere and I need it for this set-up regardless. When the channels were there, I tested the unit by turning it off and on and everything was fine. It was quick, very nice to see channel info, etc. I was as happy as a polar bear with a coke.

Has anyone ever had any brand tuner ever stop tuning after a simple change.
I have not contacted trek or vortex whatever yet. I don't think they would help me anyways.

I would appreciate anyone's input on this type of event with a tv tuner. The vizio still gets some channels but are very poor.

Thanks for reading.
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #79 of 87 Old 12-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
Greetings. Been following this thread about the same model
Terk TUNVR1 I have. Bought it 11-30-2018.
SWV- Apr 20 2017-17:32:26-V3
HWV- ABL7802-R836-A <---this I'm pretty sure is the IC tuner chip installed.

I needed a atsc tuner, not a digital to analog tuner. This industry of cheap tuners is incredibly confusing and in bred. I think only a few make all the under $50 models.

Also in the manual this is clearly stated about recording problems - USB device should be USB 3.0
USB 2.0 standard does not have the file speed and this includes most portable hard drives with the 2.0 standard. However, a 2.0 external drive may work if it's ac powered and not off the USB port. It's a possible power issue as well when recording.

But asking this question about a possible strange behavior when just using it for OTA tuning. I live in a northern area and only able to get maximum 5 sources for around 9-11 channels. The vizio had 5 sources/ 7 channels at best.

Vizio HD tv with internal tuner. Tv tuner has crapped out as far as I can tell.
I know that Vizio had great numbers of complaints about it's tuners and their answer was to remove tv tuners from most all of their tv's starting in 2017 I guess.

So, enter the Terk. My antenna setup is fine and worked well until vizio failure. All cables are new and working at the time. Totally followed manual instructions to the tee and set up the terk for hdmi output to my hdmi3 input. Could not figure out how to bypass vizio tuner at the RF, so I went with Hdmi. Which is better quality anyhow.

The Terk almost automatically takes you to the tuning process. Terk doesn't not have a user input for cable/antenna input source so I assume it just automatically senses for it. Terk will scan for Qualm, (sp) which is Cable tv frequencies and not OTA. For Qualm, one must have an active cable service and attach that cable. I don't, but I assume the Terk will sense this as well as an source without user input.

Here's the weird. Tuning started right up, found 5 sources in less than half scanned, and with final finish, I had 5 sources or networks, with 11 different channels. 3 were weaker, but the original 9 were rock solid, much better than the vizio ever was. Did nothing but watch tv for a half hour. I did not touch anything else or used any usb at all. Didn't even enter that part of the menu.
All original cabling and such intact. Then decided to switch out to a brand new ru6 video cable as I was going to run that into the basement for my planned install of another device elsewhere and a powered splitter. I had the new powered splitter already in line and the picture was perfect in the front room where this was going on. Hoping no one trips over the cables laying around during the testing. Attached new cable, Trek came up with the logo as usual, went right to the channel tuner page. Nothing was found during the new scan. I then did a system factory reset. Tried again, nothing scanned. Did this process like 5 times. Then powered it down, pulled the power and everything else and let it sit overnight. Then next day, put it all back together like it was new. After the logo, it takes you to the tuner if you haven't scanned anything yet. I did the scan and nothing came up.

Okay, I didn't move any cables other than putting my new one in while just leaving everything where it was. So, is my new cable bad? To check that I used it elsewhere in the house and it was fine. Just to make sure, I used the original cable with the great picture and put it all back together like instructed as if new. Trek came up and went right to the channel search page, which tells me nothing has been saved yet. So, fully expecting everything to come back on this scan, nothing came up.
Reset sequence done to exhaustion, no results.

So what the heck just happened? Is the trek keeping some sort of tuning memory?
It worked the very first time with the new amp splitter which I knew worked elsewhere and I need it for this set-up regardless. When the channels were there, I tested the unit by turning it off and on and everything was fine. It was quick, very nice to see channel info, etc. I was as happy as a polar bear with a coke.

Has anyone ever had any brand tuner ever stop tuning after a simple change.
I have not contacted trek or vortex whatever yet. I don't think they would help me anyways.

I would appreciate anyone's input on this type of event with a tv tuner. The vizio still gets some channels but are very poor.

Thanks for reading.
I'm going to keep the Terk and am considering if I can crack it open and look for a jumper or some way to physically clear the cmos memory for a true factory reset.
Thoughts?
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #80 of 87 Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
I'm going to keep the Terk and am considering if I can crack it open and look for a jumper or some way to physically clear the cmos memory for a true factory reset.
Thoughts?
I'm sorry, but I can't edit yet and didn't realize the forum would post my whole message again.
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #81 of 87 Old 12-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't edit yet and didn't realize the forum would post my whole message again.
Update- the terk site had a 'ask the engineer' email section and I left a message. I will update this thread when they contact me.
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #82 of 87 Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
Greetings. Been following this thread about the same model
Terk TUNVR1 I have. Bought it 11-30-2018.
SWV- Apr 20 2017-17:32:26-V3
HWV- ABL7802-R836-A <---this I'm pretty sure is the IC tuner chip installed.

I needed a atsc tuner, not a digital to analog tuner. This industry of cheap tuners is incredibly confusing and in bred. I think only a few make all the under $50 models.

Also in the manual this is clearly stated about recording problems - USB device should be USB 3.0
USB 2.0 standard does not have the file speed and this includes most portable hard drives with the 2.0 standard. However, a 2.0 external drive may work if it's ac powered and not off the USB port. It's a possible power issue as well when recording.
The 'manual' (or what passes for a manual that was cobbled together from China) is not quite correct regarding the USB 2.0 standard. For the bitrates from OTA television, the USB 2.0 standard is plenty fast enough to keep up. What they may be alluding to is that many people will likely try to use flash drives instead of hard drives. Most flash drives have the possibility of a poor experience due to sustained write speed limitations. The other brands of boxes in this class, users have found only a couple brands that work reliably. For me - I'm using a usb-powered 320 GB portable USB 2.0 hard drive and have had no problems on my Franken-Iview (a mediasonic box with Iview firmware). Since the larger the drive, the longer the initial availability and response time on startup. 320 GB gives me performance that's close to flash drive response times -- without the sustained write speed problems that come with flash drives.
eherberg is offline  
post #83 of 87 Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That makes sense, thanks. I don't use it for recording, my issue is with lost channel scanning process.

I think these units also don't touch on OS's and 32bit and 64bt. I believe there timing/power issues when using a 32bit with a 3.0 standard. Backward compatibility doesn't always guarantee playing nice with each other. There's numerous issues when recording usb and one may be power draw off that port in a sustained manner may be problematic. Windows has a habit of running things in the background as well as peoples other installed programs vying for processor times.
All this effects usb and intensive media processing.



I'm hoping someone has had my problem of losing channel scanning with just a small change in physical set up. I had bought another tuner unit a Ematic and had the exact same issue happen. I took that back because of it, but that unit also was not a atsc tuner, but a ntsc unit. These lower priced tuners are not being very concise with that fact.
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #84 of 87 Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
HWV- ABL7802-R836-A <---this I'm pretty sure is the IC tuner chip installed.
You're right. 7802 is the CPU; Tuner is a Rafael Micro R836. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but the CM-7004 tuner uses the same tuner IC (different CPU & firmware, though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
I had 5 sources or networks, with 11 different channels. 3 were weaker, but the original 9 were rock solid, much better than the vizio ever was. Did nothing but watch tv for a half hour. I did not touch anything else or used any usb at all. Didn't even enter that part of the menu.

All original cabling and such intact. Then decided to switch out to a brand new ru6 video cable as I was going to run that into the basement for my planned install of another device elsewhere and a powered splitter. I had the new powered splitter already in line and the picture was perfect in the front room where this was going on. Attached new cable, Trek came up with the logo as usual, went right to the channel tuner page. Nothing was found during the new scan. I then did a system factory reset. Tried again, nothing scanned. Did this process like 5 times. Then powered it down, pulled the power and everything else and let it sit overnight. Then next day, put it all back together like it was new. After the logo, it takes you to the tuner if you haven't scanned anything yet. I did the scan and nothing came up.

Okay, I didn't move any cables other than putting my new one in while just leaving everything where it was. So, is my new cable bad? To check that I used it elsewhere in the house and it was fine. Just to make sure, I used the original cable with the great picture and put it all back together like instructed as if new. Trek came up and went right to the channel search page, which tells me nothing has been saved yet. So, fully expecting everything to come back on this scan, nothing came up.
Reset sequence done to exhaustion, no results.

So what the heck just happened? Is the trek keeping some sort of tuning memory?
It worked the very first time with the new amp splitter which I knew worked elsewhere and I need it for this set-up regardless. When the channels were there, I tested the unit by turning it off and on and everything was fine. It was quick, very nice to see channel info, etc. I was as happy as a polar bear with a coke.

Has anyone ever had any brand tuner ever stop tuning after a simple change.
I've had it happen with various boxes (not this particular one, at least so far) and it's extremely frustrating. (The auto scan on these tuners does clear the tuner memory, so that shouldn't be the problem.)

Believe it or not, the problem could be too much signal now - I'm guessing but you may have had a bad connection and weak signal with the original cable, that got fixed when you replaced it (and was still fixed when you tried the original cable again). I've seen HomeWorX tuners, which are very similar to these Terks, fail to tune anything with too-strong signals, even though other tuners work fine with the same strong signals.

An easy way to find out would be to replace the powered splitter with a passive one. If the Terk starts working with a passive splitter, or just hooked directly to the antenna, you could just leave the powered splitter out - unless of course, you need to amplify your signals for the other TV.

If that's not it, it's possible the tuner IC got fried somehow. In that case you'll need to return it for a replacement (easier if you bought it locally; e.g., at Fry's).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #85 of 87 Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,803
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen2018 View Post
I had bought another tuner unit a Ematic and had the exact same issue happen. I took that back because of it, but that unit also was not a atsc tuner, but a ntsc unit. These lower priced tuners are not being very concise with that fact.
A little confusion here: both the Terk and eMatic are ATSC tuners, but they have some NTSC outputs (RF and composite video). That's why they advertise them as "converter" boxes - they let old TVs with NTSC tuners watch ATSC stations. Of course, since you're using HDMI you aren't using the NTSC parts at all, so you'll get full Hi-Def video.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, you mentioned having the identical problem with two of these tuners.

I wonder if there may be some electrical problem with your RF cable that might be frying these tuners. Could your powered splitter be improperly grounded perhaps?

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #86 of 87 Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You're right. 7802 is the CPU; Tuner is a Rafael Micro R836. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but the CM-7004 tuner uses the same tuner IC (different CPU & firmware, though).I've had it happen with various boxes (not this particular one, at least so far) and it's extremely frustrating. (The auto scan on these tuners does clear the tuner memory, so that shouldn't be the problem.)

Believe it or not, the problem could be too much signal now - I'm guessing but you may have had a bad connection and weak signal with the original cable, that got fixed when you replaced it (and was still fixed when you tried the original cable again). I've seen HomeWorX tuners, which are very similar to these Terks, fail to tune anything with too-strong signals, even though other tuners work fine with the same strong signals.

An easy way to find out would be to replace the powered splitter with a passive one. If the Terk starts working with a passive splitter, or just hooked directly to the antenna, you could just leave the powered splitter out - unless of course, you need to amplify your signals for the other TV.

If that's not it, it's possible the tuner IC got fried somehow. In that case you'll need to return it for a replacement (easier if you bought it locally; e.g., at Fry's).
I did go the whole route of just connecting the antenna cable directly to the terk. Still nothing. After the very first time WITH the power splitter, and turning it off and on numerous times and watching the channels it found that first time, which were looking better than the vizio, the terk stopped finding channels after that first switch to the other cable. I doubt changing to the almost exact same length cable on the same powered amp would fry what was working before. I also powered it down and un plugged it before the changes.


I had the ematic 103b, which incidentally didn't have the atsc mentioned anywhere in the instructions, box or website, but in the manual specs it did say atsc ntia. But in tuner setup, setting it to ch 3-tv wouldn't work for hdmi and had to set it to loop thru to work on hdmi, and ematic book said loop through only displays ntsc analog. Hdmi showed torn scrabled OTA channels on ch/43 search till I redid it in loop thru. I never saw any digital channels no matter what I did. And yes, I had the tv set to ch 3 and 4 with rf and tried those as well. So I took back the ematic anyways.


The terk seems to do many of these automatically.

My thought is since these units are so similar and I think they are made by the same china company and rebranded for overseas sale, the software works more or less the same across the brands. They almost all have identical menus and processes.


So, I'm thinking that when these boot up for the first time, you have the antenna already hooked up and the unit will sense the antenna and set itself up with parameters to that initial finding of that antenna. And I'm thinking these are bugged where they are NOT clearing that first reading of the ports. I don't think the unit is properly sensing the new cable change or anything else. I'm also not sure the factory reset is completely resetting either. I've worked in the tv field for 30 years and worked in video and cable production and tech and know my way around most electronic devices. The terk is still a form of computer and it's not reacting like most things I've dealt with. Also it should be noted that when you turn off the tuner from the remote, same with the ematic, the unit is still 'on' but in standby mode, meaning its basically keeping its memory intact with a small voltage being plugged in.


Unfortunately, I'm not a antenna or tv tuner expert.
Carmen2018 is offline  
post #87 of 87 Old 12-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update on my Terk thread.

I recieved this from the Terk support:

Hello ***,
Thank you for contacting us. I would disconnect the antenna from the TUNVR1 and unplug your TV for a few minutes. Plug back in your TV and run a channel scan without your antenna attached to the TUNVR1. After that is complete you can attach the antenna and rerun the channel scan again. Hope this helps.
Have a great day!

TERK Antenna Engineering
Indianapolis, IN

First, before I had a response from Terk, based on my hunch about an unknown not clearing memory issue, I had disconnected everything from the terk for almost two days. Upon hooking everything back up exactly the order of instructions yet again, all the channels were found, but didn't stick after a few hours. I tried re-scanning and nothing.

Then I received the email, I did what was instructed and the Terk found the channels again. So far the channels are still up.

Here's my thoughts about these tuners. By unplugging, I believe I slowly drained the onboard memory the long way. The terk worked after I did this process. Which gives me the impression my theory is correct. The terk will not clear a log or memory with just a simple unplugging or re-scan. I don't prescribe to unplugging the tv as that's only getting a source from the tuner and I doubt the tv would have some sort of memory map of channels and such from a 3rd party device. But I did it anyways. Next time I'll try with the tv plugged into power.

So, detaching the antenna and doing a scan without the antenna is most likely a undocumented process to clear the last scan out of memory. This is exactly how we power cycle computer devices and media devices at my old job. Taking a source away from a port and rebooting a device forces it to dump info about the port since there's nothing there. It makes sense to me. The thing is I didn't try was the re-scan without the antenna. That's the step I never made.

I'm willing to bet I could have done that with the ematic as well.
So, with just my issue of lost channels, this is a good thing to try. Make sure to disconnect the antenna from the tuner and do another scan with the antenna. Then put it back together and re-scan.

final note, the power amp is online and working with this re-scan. I imagine I'll lose the channels again when I do the final runs of cabling in the basement soon, but I think I know how to clear it.

Thanks for all the responses and I hope my thread may help others in this issue.

GL and happy holidays.
Carmen2018 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off