Channel Master Stream+ (pre-release & speculation) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #331 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is this an acceptable SD card for the Stream+ ?

SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)
Amazon $42.96

I want to keep this simple, so many different ones available....plus, ultra, extreme......geesh

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Mine has to be one of the first ordered (strictly on price and my love of DVR+) and I've received my 128 GB SD Card (Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc. Return eligible through Feb 8, 2018 $44.58 and it's usable in my Dash Cam.)

I had tried a little of the '+' in DVR+ and it was inferior to my 2014 TV's apps. New TV hasn't been given internet access yet (avoiding Samsung's advertisements feed).

DVR+ already has me watching way too much Television just from recorded OTA content, but interested to see how this will do streaming. Never subscribed to NetFlix, but 85% of my streaming (pre-DVR+) had been Amazon Prime. Samsung's 8550 app had done this much better than my Sony app. Would be interested in seeing an Android app (if there is one). YouTube is about 10% of my stream and again DVR+ fell short, my newer TV has VP-9 Codec for 4K YouTube and wonder if Stream+ will as well.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 01-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #333 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)
Amazon $42.96

I want to keep this simple, so many different ones available....plus, ultra, extreme......geesh

thanks
From Amazon:

Quote:
We found 0 results for "SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA) Amazon $42.96"
Use fewer keywords or try these instead
“SanDisk128GBmicroSDXC”See all 219 results…
I'm sure it will be fine, you're right; there's lots to choose from.

I had help in another thread to make my choice:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1922161-official-2015-samsung-4k-suhd-js9000-series-curved-smart-tv-thread-140.html#post55446648

Which was this selection:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...3E%20SD%20Card

Arrived a few days ago and looks excellent. Ability for many read/writes was paramount for me (whether in Stream+ or my DashCam).
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 01-12-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Amazon $42.96

thanks
I am not sure if my microSDXC use translates to the stream+, however I have been using the Sandisk Extreme Pro in my drone to record 4K 60 and it works better than the Sandisk Extreme, which occasionally dropped video and frequently stuttered. The Sandisk Extreme might be fine with 1080P or I.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #335 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCRLR View Post
This seems like a lost opportunity for Channel Master. They could make it so the tuners could be utilized and recordings shared from any TV that is connected to a Stream+. That way they could sell more units.
I agree, although I don't think as many more units as most people think. I don't personally know anyone (who is not a tech geek) who cares a bit about sharing a recording from their family room TV to their bedroom TV. Maybe there will be an Android app to stream recordings to on your local network. But I'll bet less than 20% of people would opt to do it.

Does anyone know the sales numbers of the Tivo remote units? Or the original Slingbox? I remember considering the Joey Hopper units with Dish, and opted not to do it because it wasn't worth the extra $5 a month.
post #336 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Alanlee , from that "other thread" commenting on my selection:
Quote:
That SD is fine. It is just not a super fast one. Like if you had a pro 4K camera that would not be enough. It is fine for most use. I find they will last many more cycles than others.
Expect your "Sandisk Extreme Pro" costs a lot more.
Art
post #337 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@Alanlee , from that "other thread" commenting on my selection:

Expect your "Sandisk Extreme Pro" costs a lot more.
Art
The 32gb I am using is $25. The 64gb is $45. I don't use the 128gb. There is one on Amazon for $81., but I have not checked it out.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #338 of 682 Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Exclamation

Quote:

Amazon $42.96

thanks
recently posted - 1 TB SD card is cheaper then your and most likely will be accepted by the gadget counting they did test with 512 GB SD before the 1 TB become avail
post #339 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I agree, although I don't think as many more units as most people think. I don't personally know anyone (who is not a tech geek) who cares a bit about sharing a recording from their family room TV to their bedroom TV. Maybe there will be an Android app to stream recordings to on your local network. But I'll bet less than 20% of people would opt to do it.
My wife and I do this all the time and I don't consider myself much of a tech geek (although my wife does). In fact, it is a deal breaker.
A perfect example is the late news broadcast. We often start watching the news in the living room but decide we'd rather finish in the bedroom. We pick up where we left off and skip through the commercials while it is still recording.
Another example is when I want to watch a recording she is not interested in. I'll watch a recording in the living room and she'll go into the bedroom to watch a recording she is interested in.
danlshane likes this.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver
post #340 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
-No the only supported recording is via a micro SD hard
-No, recordings can only be viewed on the device that they are recorded on currently
-No, this listing is correct. For the content that is avail on the STREAM+ it is all compatible with HDCP 1.4
Well, that's pretty much the end for me (I have a DVR+). I live and die on my USB recordings, which I regularly detach from the unit to access on my computer, in order to copy over to edit out commercials (thank you, DVR Lister!!!). Yes, it would be nice if I could network the external DVR+ drive so I would never have to disconnect/reconnect, but at least I can integrate my recordings with the rest of my video library, and save oodles of space over the long-term by removing the commercials. If the Stream+ can't do that, then it's not for me. Proprietary recordings that can only play back on the Stream+ are unfortunately a no-no for me.

There is one glimmer of hope: The response on the HDCP was wrong. As others have pointed out, it's 2.2, not 1.4. So there's a slim chance that the person you were talking too was not necessarily that reliable or accurate, meaning that the SD card recordings may be detachable and playable on other devices after all.

Regardless, when and if USB becomes available, will it have the same restriction? Seems to me it would be cheaper for them simply to make that work the way it does for the DVR+; less R & D that way. On the other hand, proprietary recording may be the wave of the future. There's a deeply disturbing rumor, that has been mentioned, I believe, in this thread, that the coming ATSC 3.0 will have all sorts of horrible restrictions, such as not being able to fast forward through commercials, not being able to play it back on any device other than its own recording device, etc. etc. Obviously, one hopes that the reality proves less depressing than the fear.

And, of course, if we all had a dime for every time Channel Master says this is coming and that is coming, and then it never comes, we'd all be rich. So if USB capability never comes, that too would be a deal-killer for me.

Regardless, based on what I've read so far, there's no way I'd even consider buying it at this point. Recordings would have to become easily accessible on other devices, and USB capability would have to be added, before I'd think about making the switch.
pachinko likes this.
post #341 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Two TV's

@RKCRLR , you will just need two Stream+'s, one for each TV.

Our last CATV was the CenturyLink Prism (a breath of fresh air from Comcast) and that example you gave was one of their main selling points. (Their next was wireless Set Top Boxes and commercial showed family with TV out in the garden.) Point is that they would charge you monthly for each STB.

They got me hooked on DVR, well worth the extra $10 a month for me and the only thing I really missed after cutting the cable. They also had 'tuner' limits, something like two HD Channels or four SD's. So she'd be watching Bravo in one room while I had another channel in another room and DVR recording something else and sometimes a notice would appear (like the "Change Channel and Record" on DVR+) about exceeding channel limits if they were all 3 HD. (One option was to limit TV in other room. ) They usually had the same channel available in HD or an SD version on a different channel number.
Art

__________________________________________________ ____
@P Smith
Amazon has lots of those $20 One TB SD's, they're always 1 or 2 Star rated, meaning lots of unhappy people.
post #342 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Stream+ is appropriate for one room. Get a TiVo for multi-room. I paid $199 for a 4-tuner lifetime Roamio which I can watch in 5 other rooms via Minis or anywhere in the world via the app or Slingbox. I ordered Stream+ because it will be perfect for a family member who watches in a single room.
pilotart likes this.
post #343 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@RKCRLR , you will just need two Stream+'s, one for each TV.
Art
2 Stream+'s won't do it unless they can share tuners and recordings between them. Channel Master responded to me they won't be able to do this.
I would need to have duplicate recordings on each unit (with the associated storage requirements). If I add a recording on one unit I would have to remember to add it to the other unit. If I watch and delete a recording on one unit I would have to remember to delete if from the other unit. And I would likely come across a situation where both tuners are in use so I would have to go into the other room to start a recording. Now that recording can only be watched on that unit.
That is why I think they are missing an opportunity. The could network the units together (the hardware is there) and would still be able to manage DRM.
pachinko and pilotart like this.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV
Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver
post #344 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My wife and I do this all the time and I don't consider myself much of a tech geek (although my wife does). In fact, it is a deal breaker.
A perfect example is the late news broadcast. We often start watching the news in the living room but decide we'd rather finish in the bedroom. We pick up where we left off and skip through the commercials while it is still recording.
Another example is when I want to watch a recording she is not interested in. I'll watch a recording in the living room and she'll go into the bedroom to watch a recording she is interested in.
What system are you using now?
post #345 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Regardless, when and if USB becomes available, will it have the same restriction? Seems to me it would be cheaper for them simply to make that work the way it does for the DVR+; less R & D that way. On the other hand, proprietary recording may be the wave of the future.
I think they are "locked in" to the Android TV platform with this unit. Maybe they will be able to break out of that mode, but according to those that know ATV in this thread the storage is always considered "internal" and always encrypted. There is some hope, at least in my mind, because the remote for the OEM unit in Australia (Foxtel Now Puck) can be configured either as an IR or Bluetooth remote, so you could operate the Stream+ from outside the room it is located in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
And, of course, if we all had a dime for every time Channel Master says this is coming and that is coming, and then it never comes, we'd all be rich.
This is true! Or at least, in my case for the things that mattered to me, forty cents richer!
pilotart likes this.
post #346 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #347 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
What system are you using now?
Dish Hopper and Joey. I live in a rural area and satellite is my only option. Currently, my only internet options have metered data (currently with Dish for that also) so I don't do much streaming. But "unlimited" (150GB/month then throttled) is supposedly going to be available once Viasat2 is operational.
I was looking at different options for cutting the cord. The closest to what I have now is probably Plex with a Plex Pass ($5/month, $120 lifetime available) for the DVR capabilities. I have a Plex app on my TV and Blu-Ray player (neither usable with the DVR option) so I was able to try playing some recordings. User friendliness was acceptable other than having to start the app separately. The other problem with Plex is the server needs to run 24/7. I don't want my Windows PC doing this but the Nvidia Shield can run Plex as a server. The Shield can be attached directly to my UHD TV. A cheap Android device can be a client attached to the 2nd TV. This was the direction I was going until I saw the Stream+ so I thought I'd investigate it but the Stream+ doesn't seem to be suitable for my needs.
pilotart likes this.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV
Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver
post #348 of 682 Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dish Hopper and Joey. I live in a rural area and satellite is my only option. Currently, my only internet options have metered data (currently with Dish for that also) so I don't do much streaming. But "unlimited" (150GB/month then throttled) is supposedly going to be available once Viasat2 is operational
I think many of the devices are tough without broadband Internet. The Tivo units have to be connected to the Internet to function, although I don't know if that means 24/7 or not. The discontinued DVR+ shares the same no-network streaming capability as the Stream+, but at least it works as a DVR for OTA even if it is never connected to the Internet.

You might be better off with a network tuner set up like the Tablo or HDHomerun people talk about, because then you stream everything through your home network. But I suspect giving up Dish programming will make your Internet costs rise much more and it might not be worth the complexity and hardware cost to switch just yet.
post #349 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
You might be better off with a network tuner set up like the Tablo or HDHomerun people talk about, because then you stream everything through your home network.
HDHomerun is getting a little more interesting with the news that the Connect Duo+ will have built-in storage for an all-in-one DVR solution. (And of course could still be used with other HDHomerun tuners)
post #350 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
HDHomerun is getting a little more interesting with the news that the Connect Duo+ will have built-in storage for an all-in-one DVR solution. (And of course could still be used with other HDHomerun tuners)
BestBuy periodically puts the HDHomerun Connect Quatro network tuner on sale for $100. Plex, NextPVR, and Android TV can use it. I'm probably going to pick one up the next time it goes on sale unless some positive news breaks on the Stream+ before then.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV
Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver
post #351 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Yeah, I used to cobble together Homeruns, Cetons, NAS's, PC's, Androids, etc. It all worked fine. But it was a complicated mess. The primary reason I want to try the Stream+ is it's an all in one box, simple to set up, use and maintain. Connect Duo+ is a step in the right direction, but that needs a subscription and other boxes to work. Plus it has a paltry 250GB. I keep about 1TB of my 3TB Tivo full all the time. So 1TB is about as low as I can go without a significant change to my recording habits.

The simplest PC based system I ever put together used WMC with an internal Ceton tuner and internal storage. That gave me one box connected directly to my TV plus I could view all my live TV and recordings on all my other TVs with cheap, simple Ceton Echo extenders. It also worked with my universal remote, so I never had to use a keyboard/mouse. You can still build a system like that yourself if you buy used.

RKCRLR, the Stream+'s primary purpose is streaming. Since you can't do much of that, it's not a good fit for you at all. If I were you, I'd hang on to the DVR+ indefinitely and even pick up a spare if you can. That will hold you over until ATSC 3 comes along. I'd recommend Tivo for you (cheap as DVR+ yet has 4 tuners instead of 2 and not getting discontinued/unsupported anytime soon), but it can't work without internet for guide data.
post #352 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

is there any definitive date of fist shipment of the device ?
post #353 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 127
[QUOTE=mdavej;55494934 It all worked fine. But it was a complicated mess. The primary reason I want to try the Stream+ is it's an all in one box, simple to set up, use and maintain. Connect Duo+ is a step in the right direction, but that needs a subscription and other boxes to work. Plus it has a paltry 250GB. I keep about 1TB of my 3TB Tivo full all the time. So 1TB is about as low as I can go without a significant change to my recording habits..[/QUOTE]

that's where I'm at. I've also used Plex Live/DVR with an HDHR, but I just ran into too many glitches to make it worthwhile for my needs. The only distinction for me is that my storage needs are negligible. There are only a very few OTA shows I have any interest in recording, and once I watch 'em I'll delete 'em--no interest in archiving. If the Stream+ provides a simple one-box solution for me, I'll be happy. Any streaming services it offers would be gravy, I guess, but for that I'm happy to use my FTV.
post #354 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yeah, I used to cobble together Homeruns, Cetons, NAS's, PC's, Androids, etc. It all worked fine. But it was a complicated mess. The primary reason I want to try the Stream+ is it's an all in one box, simple to set up, use and maintain. Connect Duo+ is a step in the right direction, but that needs a subscription and other boxes to work. Plus it has a paltry 250GB. I keep about 1TB of my 3TB Tivo full all the time. So 1TB is about as low as I can go without a significant change to my recording habits.

The simplest PC based system I ever put together used WMC with an internal Ceton tuner and internal storage. That gave me one box connected directly to my TV plus I could view all my live TV and recordings on all my other TVs with cheap, simple Ceton Echo extenders. It also worked with my universal remote, so I never had to use a keyboard/mouse. You can still build a system like that yourself if you buy used.

RKCRLR, the Stream+'s primary purpose is streaming. Since you can't do much of that, it's not a good fit for you at all. If I were you, I'd hang on to the DVR+ indefinitely and even pick up a spare if you can. That will hold you over until ATSC 3 comes along. I'd recommend Tivo for you (cheap as DVR+ yet has 4 tuners instead of 2 and not getting discontinued/unsupported anytime soon), but it can't work without internet for guide data.
I don't have a DVR+. I was initially going down the HTPC route and was 90% there. I was using NextPVR (good interface) and had fumbled through getting EPG data 2 weeks out. It would wake (most of the time), make the recording, update the EPG, go to sleep, etc. But every once in a while the computer would hang during reboot or wake. I think it was a heat soak issue since it could run all day long and reboot/wake when cold but would hang when warm. I attribute this to it being in a cabinet, it also heated up my other components. The fan would make too much noise if I took it out of the cabinet. I decided to abandon this route while I was still in my return window for the PCI tuner card.
I have no problem getting the guide data from the internet, it is the streaming that would kill me. But that may change in the near future.
The TiVo Roamio paired with a Mini would be a good fit for me but is expensive (over $500), especially if I want a Mini for a 3rd TV. That is why a Nvidia Shield TV, USB or network tuner, and an inexpensive Android box looks attractive. For about $300 (I already have a USB hard drive) I could have a robust UHD solution with streaming capability. And it seems the system would be more expandable in the future, perhaps with the ability to add a ATSC 3.0 tuner when it is available.

Samsung UN65JS8500 TV
Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver
post #355 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does some who paid, ordered S+ got ETA ?
post #356 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Does some who paid, ordered S+ got ETA ?
Nothing direct to me so far. The only update I've seen is on this page: https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

Quote:
Special introductory price. Pre-order now. If you have already placed a pre-order, your Stream+ will ship by mid-February. If you are pre-ordering today, your Stream+ will ship by the end of April.
post #357 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Wow! 12 pages already ;-) Do we know if this thing does or does not have a PSIP guide?
post #358 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Wow! 12 pages already ;-) Do we know if this thing does or does not have a PSIP guide?
It does not. I posted videos of the guide, dvr, etc.
post #359 of 682 Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
post #360 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
MicroSD to SD Adaper

Please be nice as I was thought to be an idiot for this on another site. As SD's are cheaper than MicroSD's I bought this adapter:

https://www.saikosystems.com/web/p-4...converter.aspx

If my S+, ever arrives, I'll let it be known.
mdavej and pachinko like this.

Last edited by schneid; 01-15-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page