Channel Master Stream+ (pre-release & speculation) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #361 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here is another MicroSD to SD adapter:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

But do they work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Nothing direct to me so far. The only update I've seen is on this page: https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm
damn ! another month of rumors and speculations ...

anybody catch its mfg model number ? I would try to tracking the cargo by discovering a bill of lading...
post #363 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post

But do they work?
usually the adapters working fine - it's just dumb plastic sleeve with pin to pin connection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
usually the adapters working fine - it's just dumb plastic sleeve with pin to pin connection
Here's another. Amazon, prime shipping, and good rating. Wish I'd found this first:

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Ada...A0C8D7886MP753

And another from Amazon like my original post. No ribbon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143QFXYO..._t1_B06X3Y4BBB

Last edited by schneid; 01-15-2018 at 06:28 AM.
post #365 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post

But do they work?
Yeah, SD and micro-SD are pin-for-pin identical, it's just the physical size that's different. The only issue would be whether the adapter is able to slide far enough in to the Stream+, since the slot is a bit recessed. That's actually a really good idea, since this device doesn't need to be portable, and as you say, standard SD is a lot cheaper. Good suggestion!
pilotart likes this.

post #366 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
damn ! another month of rumors and speculations ...

anybody catch its mfg model number ? I would try to tracking the cargo by discovering a bill of lading...
CM-7600

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/d...Jan+9+2018.pdf
post #367 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

the PDF should be attached to first post ... anyway, to avoid broken URL I did upload the PDF here at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post55482014

as to the "CM-7600" id, nay ... it's CM's model, not the mfg ... not gonna help in research

perhaps there is a white label at bottom with mfg's ID
post #368 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
The microSD adapter is a great idea. I was actually trying to go a step further and find some conglomeration of adapters to go from microSD to USB in order to ultimately plug a USB drive into the microSD port. So far, no luck. As far as I can tell, the only adapters that exist only go the other way, plugging a microSD into a USB port.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-15-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #369 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Don’t think I’ve seen this link posted yet from few days ago.

Not much new learned but nice article.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/feat...apple-tv-to-be
Paul210, mdavej, Ray77085 and 1 others like this.
post #370 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

Thanks for your post. I found this to be very informative. My concern with the unit is, will it be able record movies and shows other than Over The Air channels ?

MY 5.4.4 SET UP (Dolby Atmos)
Onkyo TX-NR809, Denon X4200 (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (side surrounds Primus P363), 2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs. 4 ea Over head in ceiling 8" speakers.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000. Samsung BD-8500 Blu-Player
post #371 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
the PDF should be attached to first post ... anyway, to avoid broken URL I did upload the PDF here at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post55482014
Where you been, that URL has been on the first post for a week or so!!! FYI, I've been updating post 1 as things happen, even though eventually this thread will be replaced with a brand spanking new Stream+ thread (hopefully) to get rid of all the speculation.
pilotart likes this.
post #372 of 682 Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

Thanks for the article! One thing hiding as a caption of one of the pics is the statement "With a microSD card the Stream+ can record two shows at once and supports pause/rewind/fast forward." That's the first time I've seen "Fast Forward" mentioned (even though there is a button on the remote control). In all CM documentation, that wording is missing, making me an others wonder if they crippled Fast Forward to prevent commercial skipping. Still, this is not conclusive evidence, so we still have to wait for the Stream+ to meet the hands of an AVS member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Thanks for your post. I found this to be very informative. My concern with the unit is, will it be able record movies and shows other than Over The Air channels ?
It will NOT record any streaming shows (see the article kent2174 linked).
post #373 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Thanks for the article! One thing hiding as a caption of one of the pics is the statement "With a microSD card the Stream+ can record two shows at once and supports pause/rewind/fast forward." That's the first time I've seen "Fast Forward" mentioned (even though there is a button on the remote control). In all CM documentation, that wording is missing, making me an others wonder if they crippled Fast Forward to prevent commercial skipping. Still, this is not conclusive evidence, so we still have to wait for the Stream+ to meet the hands of an AVS member!

Pachinko,

Do you think there could be work around something similar like in your signature ?

MY 5.4.4 SET UP (Dolby Atmos)
Onkyo TX-NR809, Denon X4200 (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (side surrounds Primus P363), 2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs. 4 ea Over head in ceiling 8" speakers.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000. Samsung BD-8500 Blu-Player
post #374 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pachinko,

Do you think there could be work around something similar like in your signature ?
That would be Android hack !
post #375 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

As far as Fast Forward, that picture even shows 4X on the screen of the demo...which is basically fast forward at 4 times the regular play speed (or some equivalent). That looks to be from the CES event and not just some stock photo, so that is good news. That would be poor to showcase it like that and then strip that option away. So, I feel pretty confident we will see FF.
post #376 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Channel Master has a history with the DVR+ of making promises or alluding to enhancements that either never materialized or did not work as advertised.

So don't buy into all the hype from them and don't get too excited!

Marketing and selling something and then delivering are different skills!
post #377 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pachinko,

If you mean being able to copy recordings to a computer where you would be able to do whatever you want with them (like you should be able to do with OTA), then probably not. What little I know about Android is what I've learned from this thread, and that doesn't look good. What I managed to do with DVR+ wasn't true hacking, rather it was simply reading data from unprotected binary files, with no decryption required.

And for hacking a way to record or copy streaming content, I wouldn't do that (at least not for public use) even if I could, not because I think it would be wrong, but because I value my freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabbit78 View Post
As far as Fast Forward, that picture even shows 4X on the screen of the demo...which is basically fast forward at 4 times the regular play speed (or some equivalent). That looks to be from the CES event and not just some stock photo, so that is good news. That would be poor to showcase it like that and then strip that option away. So, I feel pretty confident we will see FF.
I hope you're right, and I think it would be a dumb move if the Stream+ doesn't FF, or if FF is crippled during commercials, at least on OTA content!
pilotart likes this.
post #378 of 682 Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Where you been, that URL has been on the first post for a week or so!!! FYI, I've been updating post 1 as things happen, even though eventually this thread will be replaced with a brand spanking new Stream+ thread (hopefully) to get rid of all the speculation.
I'm really inclined to rename current thread to "Speculations around CM-7600" !
post #379 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
I hope you're right, and I think it would be a dumb move if the Stream+ doesn't FF, or if FF is crippled during commercials, at least on OTA content!
I absolutely agree with you. The main reason I buy DVR's is to be able to fast forward the endless stream of commercials that are foisted on viewers. A secondary reason would be delayed viewing, but most of the stuff I record from over the air (OTA) sources is watched within a few hours of the original recording and then erased. An example would be news programs. Nearly all of the entertainment programs that come OTA are not directed to my view interests.

Actually the vast majority of stuff I watch is on demand from streaming sources which do not have commercials. I would much rather pay a monthly fee to Netflix or other streaming service than be exposed to the mind numbing experience of commercial TV. I subscribed to CBS online so I could watch STAR TREK. It's five bucks a month with limited commercials. Next Star Trek season I am going to pay the nine bucks a month for no commercials and binge watch the series. I can only survive limited exposure to those ridiculous Geico commercials.
pilotart likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #380 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Does some who paid, ordered S+ got ETA ?
I ordered two the day after the device was announced. No ETA as yet.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #381 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm really inclined to rename current thread to "Speculations around CM-7600" !
I put in a request to rename this thread to "Channel Master Stream+ Pre-Release Speculation", and if possible will have it locked when the Stream+ is released and a new thread is created.

Since I do not plan to purchase the Stream+, hopefully someone else will start a new "Channel Master Stream+" thread that will be based upon accurate hands on information.
post #382 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
I put in a request to rename this thread to "Channel Master Stream+ Pre-Release Speculation", and if possible will have it locked when the Stream+ is released and a new thread is created.
Good idea. That way we won't have to pore through endless pages of speculation to get to the real info that starts pouring in when one of these units finally shows up in someone's mailbox.

Of course, at that time, I hope the mods will post a final message on the thread directing folks to the new thread.
post #383 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Since I do not plan to purchase the Stream+, hopefully someone else will start a new "Channel Master Stream+" thread that will be based upon accurate hands on information.
Should we nominate someone to start that thread with a sticky at the top to NOT post in it until the Stream+ is delivered?
post #384 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Should we nominate someone to start that thread with a sticky at the top to NOT post in it until the Stream+ is delivered?
just make public promise keep your hand tight for now

who will got real S+ first, will open new thread
pachinko, pilotart and danlshane like this.
post #385 of 682 Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Good idea. That way we won't have to pore through endless pages of speculation to get to the real info that starts pouring in when one of these units finally shows up in someone's mailbox.

Of course, at that time, I hope the mods will post a final message on the thread directing folks to the new thread.
I do not disagree with you, however if you look over the dvr+ thread, which did actually exist, you will witness many posts that are based on speculation about why something works or not, whether this hard drive will work or not, what’s going on with the online schedule, etc, etc.

It is true that there are folks who deliver good info, but even they tend to speculate, and some of the speculation is due to poor communication by corporations. For instance, Channel Master was not up front about the death of the dvr+. They wanted to sell off their existing stock before they announced the new device. They told me on the phone they were waiting for a new shipment of the dvr+ and I would be the first to know when the shipment came in. I am still waiting for that email.

I found out about the new device on this thread, not from Channel Master. The speculation can be maddening, but occasionally there is a thread or maybe a post of truth.
LenL likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #386 of 682 Old 01-18-2018, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
We should start a new thread called the "Channel Master Speculation" thread.

It would quickly fill up with over a thousand posts of remembered promises, or suggested changes, and suggested remedies either from phone calls, emails, their website, CES, FAQs, etc.

That would be very telling and scary!
P Smith and JHBrandt like this.
post #387 of 682 Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
I ordered two the day after the device was announced. No ETA as yet.
I posted earlier that I phoned CM after it mentioned here about the delayed ship date, and they confirmed the first pre-orders will ship mid February.

Since then, several people, including myself, tweeted to the official Channel Master Twitter account, questioning the reason for the delay. The official response,

"Just your standard shipping delays. Manufacturing fun. Initial inventory can be tricky to estimate! Sorry for the delay"

Check tweets and replies on the Channel Master Twitter account for other interesting details on the EPG, Google Live Channels etc. Not all necessarily new, but official.
post #388 of 682 Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
It would quickly fill up with over a thousand posts of remembered promises, or suggested changes, and suggested remedies either from phone calls, emails, their website, CES, FAQs, etc.
There has been a lot of speculation here about whether or not the Stream+ is a replacement for the DVR+, and a fair amount of back and forth between CM and people who have already ordered a Stream+. But has anyone asked CM if *they* consider the Stream+ to be a replacement for the DVR+? It's clear that consumers, i.e. "we" don't consider it to be a replacement. But if CM would give a straight answer to that question it would clear up one aspect of that speculation very quickly. If CM does consider the Stream+ to be a DVR+ replacement we would know once and for all that CM doesn't have any plans for a new OTA oriented recording unit. If they don't consider it to be a replacement, then it would give hope to a lot of the people who participate in both threads. But I wonder if they would even give us a definitive answer to the question.
post #389 of 682 Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some Images of the Stream+ internals

For what they are worth, here's a couple of images of the internals (captured from a video).

post #390 of 682 Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
There has been a lot of speculation here about whether or not the Stream+ is a replacement for the DVR+, and a fair amount of back and forth between CM and people who have already ordered a Stream+. But has anyone asked CM if *they* consider the Stream+ to be a replacement for the DVR+? It's clear that consumers, i.e. "we" don't consider it to be a replacement. But if CM would give a straight answer to that question it would clear up one aspect of that speculation very quickly. If CM does consider the Stream+ to be a DVR+ replacement we would know once and for all that CM doesn't have any plans for a new OTA oriented recording unit. If they don't consider it to be a replacement, then it would give hope to a lot of the people who participate in both threads. But I wonder if they would even give us a definitive answer to the question.i
That's an interesting take on the Stream+, as I have pre-ordered precisely because I consider it an OTA-oriented recording unit that hopefully will suit my needs. I really am not thinking of it as a streaming device, as I think that Roku, Fire, ATV etc most likely provide a superior experience in that regard. Certainly, I will explore it's capabilities as I've never had an Android box and I'll be curious about how it might perform in that regard. It seems from many posts that there is a great deal of disappointment that the Stream+ will not offer greater storage capacity, and that recordings will not be transportable or accessible across a home network.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page