Channel Master Stream+ (pre-release & speculation) - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes
Closed Thread

post #661 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I've run into indoor antennas that were designed in such a way that if you remove the amplifier - the antenna actually doesn't pass anything through. Needless to say - that antenna went to the junk heap. I wasn't even going to give it to GoodWill. The homeless have enough problems without foisting a design like that on them.

Amplifiers have only 2 instances where they are useful. To overcome signal loss from long antenna runs ... to overcome signal loss from splits to multiple TV's ... or a combination of those 2. If you're receiving signals with an amplified antenna - you can also receive it with a proper passive antenna for the environment. I saw 'ghosting' mentioned above - but that is a term from the analog days. There is no 'ghosting' with a digital signal. That was a multipath reception sympton.
Homeless people have televisions and are concerned with a flaky antenna design? The other day at the homeless shelter the people I saw there didn't have any tv's strapped to their backs. Now had you given the antenna to Goodwill, or even better to, the Salvation Army, then they could have put it in a store and re-sold it and used the money to feed a few of those homeless people. I do take exception to people using homeless people in their arguments and not even knowing what the homeless are dealing with.

Ghosting is a term from the analog days because of the "ghost" images on the screen. In the current digital age the ghosts appear as macro blocking, stuttering, loss of signal, etc. Both can have the same cause, multipath interference (signals arriving at the antenna at slightly different times) but they are both symptoms having the same cause but different terminology for the particular visual effect.
Valyard likes this.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com

Last edited by Intheswamp; 03-10-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 4196
Time to get back to discussing the Stream + and not antennas in general. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #663 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
@DrDon - Any more thoughts on where the new topic once these are shipped should go? It seems it has way more in common with devices like the shield and other AndroidTV devices. Just like the Shield with an OTA tuner is in the media streaming section of the forum - should the Stream+ new owners topic be placed there? It seems like it will find more of it's intended audience than in an HDTV recorders section.
P Smith, JoeKustra and danlshane like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
@DrDon - Any more thoughts on where the new topic once these are shipped should go? It seems it has way more in common with devices like the shield and other AndroidTV devices. Just like the Shield with an OTA tuner is in the media streaming section of the forum - should the Stream+ new owners topic be placed there? It seems like it will find more of it's intended audience than in an HDTV recorders section.
Sounds like a very reasonable idea. It is named Stream+ for a reason. The + part being built in OTA tuners, is only difference in Shield or Meecool MS8 Pro.
post #665 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm tempted to put the owner's thread here and a permanent link to it in streaming. So long as there's a tuner and recording capability, it needs to be represented here. I'd also - given the brand - suspect more customers will be looking toward it primarily for the addition of OTA capabilities. Might not be its primary use, but it'll be the primary factor in the purchase decision. And, to that end, the more-discussed. Someone just needs to PM me when delivery starts.

I'm having margaritas, right now, so I'm probably overthinking it.
Intheswamp, anant, criggs and 5 others like this.

post #666 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Ythe lowly mstar boxes (where I can quickly remove commercials from my wife's daily chat shows, convert, and drop into Plex). )
I would be curious to know how you are doing this with the mStar boxes???

I would love to do this with the 2TB worth of stuff I have. But is cumbersome to playback outside the boxes when with out a LAN port on them.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #667 of 682 Old 03-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
I would be curious to know how you are doing this with the mStar boxes???

I would love to do this with the 2TB worth of stuff I have. But is cumbersome to playback outside the boxes when with out a LAN port on them.
Unfortunately, my method doesn't scale very well ... and certainly not to 2 TB worth of stuff. I simply use Avidemux (making sure that end-cuts are always on reference frames) and then save as an mkv file. Since this is done shortly after recording, I never have to do it on more than a handful of files at a time for her daytime shows (even if I miss a couple days or more). I tried using something like comskip - but I've gotten to the point that it takes me only a couple of minutes per file to cut the commercials vs the 10 - 15 minutes (on my system) just for comskip to simply identify the cuts.

Since my wife usually catches up with her shows on the weekend, she isn't sitting and slogging through 10 - 20 hours of programming. She sits on the fast-forward until she sees a segment she likes and then watches. Segment ends ... back on the fast-forward. She can get through the whole week of all her daytime shows in an hour or two. To increase responsiveness to near-instant in Plex, when I drop her shows into Plex after commercial removal, I have Plex convert them to SD quality. She barely notices the difference, file sizes are reduced, and her fast-forward .. watch .. fast-forward method gives her instant response times from my not-quite-as-powerful-as-it-probably-should-be Plex server. :-)
post #668 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately, my method doesn't scale very well ... and certainly not to 2 TB worth of stuff. I simply use Avidemux (making sure that end-cuts are always on reference frames) and then save as an mkv file. Since this is done shortly after recording
OK... avidemux is Linux compatible. So at least this is a start in the right directon. comskip is a no go winslopper, don't have, don't want.

If I could take the daily bunch of stuff I record, and then nuke infuriating ads, and then move to my storage array, I could play them back on my main box. I use a little Android box I got for $30 to playback stuff via VLC. All my other stuff is automated downloads.

I take it you are doing sneakerNet to get the files since none of the mStar boxes I've seen have LAN ports for Samba access.

Since I don't really use video tools, this is a manual review process to find the ads?????? Hmmm.. yeah... that probably wouldn't work.....but I still would love a run down on the process... Like I said video editing with all these tools was never my thing....

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #669 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

More OT posts removed.

You're welcome to start an antenna thread for a particular model in HDTV Technical, though location is everything when it comes to antennas. What works in one spot might be useless right across the street. And I think everyone will agree, most of the gadget-y antennas are just that. Shiny, expensive gadgets.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #670 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I'm tempted to put the owner's thread here and a permanent link to it in streaming. So long as there's a tuner and recording capability, it needs to be represented here. I'd also - given the brand - suspect more customers will be looking toward it primarily for the addition of OTA capabilities. Might not be its primary use, but it'll be the primary factor in the purchase decision. And, to that end, the more-discussed. Someone just needs to PM me when delivery starts.

I'm having margaritas, right now, so I'm probably overthinking it.
FWIW, I agree with having the new thread in HDTV Recorders. It is replacing an OTA recorder that is well known and bottom line is that it is an OTA DVR. But, wherever it goes I'll be following it. My Stream+'s are supposed to arrive this Thursday as they're currently in AZ. Seems like a slow UPS boat, but I'm in no hurry...but wonder about when the 30-day return window opens...a week getting to me isn't cool if they're deducting that from my return window. I'm banking on the USB external hard drive function to work. They're definitely saying it will be coming and if it doesn't it's a deal-killer for me. I think them stating that USB functionality is coming has legally opened up the return window indefinitely. I'm no lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express eight or nine years ago.

Ed
DrDon, criggs and pilotart like this.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #671 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I thought the chapter 7 video Users guide says 2 types of External storage are available,....SD and USB 3, but, For OTA recording CM highly recommends SD. I

That would probably cover them for previous Statements saying USB is a high priority.

They continue saying although other storage types may work, CM doesn't support them.

Last edited by Valyard; 03-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #672 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
Mine just arrived via USPS.
My U3 card should arrive from amazon before 8pm.
Will play with it tonight.
(The quick start guide seems thicker than I expected)
HURRAY!!! Time for the new thread!!
pachinko likes this.
post #673 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
I thought the chapter 7 video Users guide says 2 types of External storage are available,....SD and USB 3, but, For OTA recording CM highly recommends SD. I

That would probably cover them for previous Statements saying USB is a high priority.

They continue saying although other storage types may work, CM doesn't support them.

MicroSD slot for DVR storage, up to 512GB (U3
MicroSD card required for DVR capability), with
USB storage support coming soon

This bullet point on their flyer is either misleading to sucker people into buying the Stream+ or either they truly will be adding USB storage capability to the unit. Mixing the underlined statement in with the blurb regarding the DVR seems to strongly infer that USB DVR storage is a coming feature. If not, then this will probably be a big failure for CM.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #674 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
HURRAY!!! Time for the new thread!!
To encourage generally accepted bookkeeping practices, I would suggest that the last post in this thread before it is locked include the link to the new thread.
JHBrandt, pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #675 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
I do know that if the Stream+

1. Has better reception than the DVR+,
2. Has recordings that can be removed in order to be edited to remove commercials,
3. Follows through on its promise to enable larger USB hard-drive storage,

then I'll be making the switch.

Absent 1 and 2, there's no reason to buy it. If Smartenna+ fixes my DVR+ problem then, as far as I can tell, there is no reason to buy the Stream+. If it does not, and if the Stream+ does have 1., then that might be an argument, in and of itself, to switch to the Stream+. 2. and 3. are not reasons in and of itself to switch from the DVR+ to the Stream+.

Part of the problem here, from the perspective of thread management, is that the three products are so closely intertwined and interwoven. The DVR+, the Stream+ and the Smartenna+ are inextricably linked, and it's almost impossible to talk about the one product without talking about all three.
#1 is kind of vague. It's likely (although not guaranteed) to handle multipath better than the DVR+, but as we discussed on the antenna thread, you now have a new problem that no tuner may be capable of solving.
#2 is almost certainly not going to happen, from everything I've read so far, including CM's horrible video "user guide." That's the main reason I won't be replacing my DVR+ with a Stream+ (although it may be in the running for a Sling TV streamer).
#3 still has a chance, though. Just not there yet.
post #676 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
To encourage generally accepted bookkeeping practices, I would suggest that the last post in this thread before it is locked include the link to the new thread.
Agreed, and if I have the opportunity to do so before this thread is locked, I will add the link at the top of post 1. If not, hopefully DrDon will do that for us!
post #677 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
#1 is kind of vague. It's likely (although not guaranteed) to handle multipath better than the DVR+, but as we discussed on the antenna thread, you now have a new problem that no tuner may be capable of solving.
Fortunately that is not the case. My Vizio TV has sailed on, blissfully unaware of any change from the window installation. Clearly some tuners will be able to handle my reception perfectly fine.

Quote:
#2 is almost certainly not going to happen, from everything I've read so far, including CM's horrible video "user guide."
Oh ye of little faith. What Pachinko was able to figure out with the DVR+ some clever person will be able to figure out with the Stream+. It's way too early to give up on that.

Quote:
#3 still has a chance, though. Just not there yet.
Again color me more optimistic than you. If USB capability was vapor-ware, we wouldn't have references to it popping up in the latest literature, and we wouldn't have CM Vice Presidents talking about it in a video. I'm fairly sure this will be happening. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and guess it's already in the box and they're just not talking about that because they're first trying to lick pesky intermittent problems of the sort that plagued the DVR+ USB interface where some drives would work fine and others wouldn't.
post #678 of 682 Old 03-11-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Fortunately that is not the case. My Vizio TV has sailed on, blissfully unaware of any change from the window installation. Clearly some tuners will be able to handle my reception perfectly fine.
In that case, check out my edited post at the antenna thread.
Quote:
Oh ye of little faith. What Pachinko was able to figure out with the DVR+, some clever person will be able to figure out with the Stream+.
Not if it's encrypted, as we have every reason to suspect at this point.

(BTW, I was also involved, early on, with figuring out the DVR+. I was the one who figured out how to get ffmpeg to "fix" the DVR+'s "Strmxxxx.ts" files so they would play with most PC video players.)

But even if we're lucky and the Stream+ recordings turn out to be unencrypted, we aren't home-free. No one has yet managed to do for the DTVPal what Pachinko did for the DVR+, and not for lack of trying. (Actually, I heard that someone did crack a file system used by Dish PVRs that is very similar to the DTVPal's - and Dish took them to court for their trouble! DMCA strikes again.)
Quote:
Again color me more optimistic than you.
I thought I was optimistic! I just said it's not there yet. I didn't say, nor did I intend to imply, that I thought it never would be.

However, given our experience with whole-home for the DVR+, I wouldn't bet my life on it appearing! It probably will - it doesn't sound that hard - but CM has disappointed us before.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-11-2018 at 07:46 PM.
post #679 of 682 Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post

Let's face it, the DVR+ didn't officially support all USB hard drives. Some models worked great, others spotty, and still others not at all. CM may be facing a similar issue with the Stream+, so they have removed themselves from having to guarantee usability of the wide variety of USB drives by offering only nominal support.

My Western Digital Passport 1TB drives never flagged on the DVR+, so I'm hoping for similar results with the new device. I'll let you know on Thursday (depending on UPS).
criggs and pilotart like this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #680 of 682 Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhood View Post
So there does seem to be some initial support for hard drives. I'll test it more, later.
i have set it up to record more than the internal memory to see what happens
post #681 of 682 Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhood View Post
So there does seem to be some initial support for hard drives. I'll test it more, later.
Let us know how an actual recording and playback go. I may have invested in a large SD card for no valuable reason.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #682 of 682 Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I was kind of waiting for @pachinko or someone to start the Owner's thread. As I'm in the studio all afternoon, I simply split off the posts from the actual owners to get it going.

It'd be nice for one of you to do a post with all the photos and the usual early post stuff or PM all that to me and I'll edit it in to the first post.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...-s-thread.html
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page