Channel Master Stream+ (pre-release & speculation) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes
Closed Thread

post #61 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Well, it certainly looks tempting. I'll wait until this is resolved and working:

Saving $50 to $60 isn't worth just replacing the current function of my TV with the DVR+ and Roku. When they get Netflix certified then I'll get it and never have to change inputs on my TV again. Except upstairs, where the DVR+ and Roku will go.

This is exactly what I've been waiting for to recommend to the less technical in my family. One box that combines antenna and streaming services, Bluetooth for local content steamed from phone or tablet. If CM gets Netflix and Amazon I think this blows everything else out of the water.
User adoption will likely tell the tale. DVR+ never had Netflix ... and I read an article this morning covering the Stream+ that stated that you have to have a minimum number of users (determined by Netflix) before Netflix will take a look at you. If that is the case, unless the Stream+ appeals to a wider audience than the DVR+ did, it could be a bit of a wait.
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
User adoption will likely tell the tale. DVR+ never had Netflix ... and I read an article this morning covering the Stream+ that stated that you have to have a minimum number of users (determined by Netflix) before Netflix will take a look at you. If that is the case, unless the Stream+ appeals to a wider audience than the DVR+ did, it could be a bit of a wait.
Unless it is a mistake in the specs or it's software upgradable, the lack of HDCP 2.2 support means that 4k streaming from Netflix, amazon, etc. will not be possible. That makes this box less attractive for Netflix users.
post #63 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Well, I went ahead and ordered one, and I can use it upstairs until / if they get Netflix and Amazon Prime on it.

I'm weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Exclamation HDCP is a part of HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
Unless it is a mistake in the specs or it's software upgradable, the lack of HDCP 2.2 support means that 4k streaming from Netflix, amazon, etc. will not be possible. That makes this box less attractive for Netflix users.
never been - never will be ! it's HW part of devices
post #65 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
never been - never will be ! it's HW part of devices
That's not a good news. Let's hope it's a mistake in the specs.
post #66 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Also got initial promised "next day shipping" and was charged the $99 immediately.

From CM site:

Quote:
Subscription-free
Channel Guide*
See what's on your
antenna channels
*Google™ Live Channels Guide
https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream...tail_TechSpecs

And c|net:
https://www.cnet.com/products/channe...-plus/preview/

Not yet found *Google™ Live Channels Guide, but guess that will replace our beloved Rovi.

Bluetooth remote looks great, wonder if you can turn "voice control" off?

"4K, HDR and 3D viewing technology" tops DVR+'s output.

Never had a MicroSD but do have spare USB-3 HD's.
Art
post #67 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 508
soon, in two months , you will tell us how it works
pilotart likes this.
post #68 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Recording availability with Live Channels is more of an Android thing. <....>
It will be interesting to see how guide data is handled. Although Live Channels has (at least earlier in the year) 12 day guide info - only 2 days were visible in the grid. For the audience that this is likely intended for -- that may not be a big thing given their comfort with using mobile apps for search and/or guide.
Not tried this since "I had no device":
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.tv&hl=en

Quote:
Of further interest is the playing of recordings. Although you can record 2 programs while watching another (or watch live while recording) ... as of at least a few months ago, you could not start watching a recording while in progress. The recording couldn't be played while the stream was still being written. Interestingly - you can pause live TV (which implies the ability to read/write the same stream). Again -- given the market this is aimed for with fewer OTA recording needs, this may not be a big issue to that market.
My DVR+ has done this for over two years.

According to my DVD's thread on AVS (link in sig), my DVD Recorder can as well, but never tried it.
Art
post #69 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
I will be surprised if that isn't a typo (the shipping) - as I don't think it will really ship until after the new year.

Even if it does allow for a hard drive (which is unknown at this time) - like other Android TV devices, does it have to be mounted as internal? The Shield made a special allowance due to the large Plex userbase to allow the special 'Nvidia_Shield' folder on a hard drive to be treated like internal storage - but still allow read/write access. No other Android TV box does this - and I doubt the Stream+ will either.

My suspicion is the market they are now moving toward is less concerned with 4 tuner setups. A device with 'Stream' in the name is assuming that the bulk of watching is going to be through OTT services. People who have moved to streaming probably have minimal use for a lot of tuners - with one usually sufficient and 2 very rarely needed.

The DVR+ and the Stream+ are machines that are, I believe, intended for 2 very different audiences. The former is a shrinking ... and aging ... user base, while the latter is showing growth. I don't believe one can even compare the two machines given their clearly different user focus. Somebody who is going to need multiple tuners and lots of storage is not going to be happy with the Stream+ box. Somebody who gets most of their network programming from Hulu and CBS Access will be.

Edit: I was correct about the shipping. The webpage now says:

Special introductory price. Pre-order now. Product will ship before the end of January.
Why not have the best of both worlds? I use a Roku with my DVR+ and would never consider the Stream+ in the same league as the combo of Roku and my DVR+ for OTA.

Yes they are 2 devices but they take up very little space!
post #70 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I ordered one this am.
Site doesn’t state how many hours 128 sd card records.
Where is best place to purchase sd card?
Any brand to look for?
post #71 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well, I went ahead and ordered one, and I can use it upstairs until / if they get Netflix and Amazon Prime on it.

I'm weak.
Being the Stream+ is an android TV device, i doubt it'll be that difficult to find the corresponding Netflix or Amazon android TV app in a repository somewhere and then side-load the APK onto the device. That being said, I also doubt this device will block many apps from the android tv google play store. Hasn't anyone else side-loaded apps on an Amazon Fire device? I've side-loaded apps on my in-laws Fire Stick and Fire tablet for my son. I've even side-loaded apps on my Nvidia Shield TV. I haven't tried side-loading apps on the AirTV Player, I have one available but tried convincing my dad to use it, to no avail. But I understand why the AirTV Player doesn't have the DirecTV app available.
post #72 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the open nature of other Android TV devices ... or how locked down.

I'm already tempering my expectations about voice control after reading the following:

"The Stream+ also doesn't yet work with Google Assistant. Instead, it uses an older, clunkier version of Google voice search that doesn't support direct video playback, smart home controls, or third-party voice skills"

Makes me wonder about capabilities of other items. Will the Alexa controls for Plex playback work?

I'm curious to see how it compares to other Android TV entries. My thought late last night is that if the thought of Android TV and Live Channel integration of online media sources, Plex, etc appeals to you -- why not give up cutting corners and just go for the Shield? Nothing out there yet has been able to surpass the Shield for Android TV performance.
post #73 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
I ordered one this am.
Any brand to look for?
It depends on the source material. The recordings are going to be stored in transport stream (.ts) format and won't be transcoded like an HDHomeRun Extend tuner could. In my area, for example, recordings take up between 3 GB per hour of video and 6 GB per hour of video. Other areas with 1080i stations could be even more. Different people will have different recording capabilities depending on the stations and programming they record.

It is again why I caution against the comparison between this device and a traditional DVR system. I believe this is intended for those who do most of their viewing while streaming. I, for example, have greatly reduced the number of tuners I need after having left TiVo after 10 years. Right now, I'm using a Mediasonic box for my wife's daily chat shows just because it is so easy to pull the drive and transcode/edit commercials. Outside of that - I timeshift football games for my local team to match it with the radio call. If Plex's new commercial removal/detection improves on its accuracy (or allows a 'go-back' option), I may probably just move her daily recording tasks to that.

I appreciate OTA and endorse it (as I started cord-cutting years before it became known as that and was 'cool' and 'trendy'), but I'm also not averse to shifting to new ways of thinking about getting that programming. TiVo's lack of reliability on multiple-source searching made me start looking at Plex. Once I realized how locked in and restricted I had been in the TiVo ecosphere - I began to appreciate Plex and started looking at the HDHomeDVR setup as well as supplementing with the Mediasonic. My family naturally gravitated to the new setup (using Plex as the interface) without any coaching from me ... and thus, our time with TiVo was at an end. In the future, my next TV will have built-in pause and timeshift via USB (like the Roku TV's have) - and recording will likely be it's own self-contained external unit.

And I'm a lot more flexible in my use of OTA than those younger than me. The 'cool' and 'trendy' streaming crowd is perfectly fine with not worrying about setting recording times and just going to a streaming source to get programming. Recording is only for those special-event type items that don't have a convenient online source. Live Channel media source integration into the guide is going to be more important than tuners or storage for them.
post #74 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
post #75 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Quote:
The DVR+ and the Stream+ are machines that are, I believe, intended for 2 very different audiences. The former is a shrinking ... and aging ... user base, while the latter is showing growth. I don't believe one can even compare the two machines given their clearly different user focus.
CM's DVR+ pages are now directing shoppers to the new Stream+. So apparently CM thinks the Stream+ will appeal to at least some who were looking for the DVR+.

But it's true that the machines appeal to different classes of users. The DVR+ was clearly intended to be a no-fee competitor to TiVo, while the Stream+ is more of a Roku with some added OTA/DVR functionality. It's too bad they didn't sell them in parallel for at least six months, although, given last year's Dish/E* deal, there may not have been much more they could do.
post #76 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Also got initial promised "next day shipping" and was charged the $99 immediately.

Art
I wonder if the first few buyers actually did get next-day shipping, then they changed the Web page as soon as they ran out of their very limited stock?

Edit: Guess we'll know in a few days.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-19-2017 at 12:16 PM.
post #77 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I wonder if the first few buyers actually did get next-day shipping, then they changed the Web page as soon as they ran out of their very limited stock?

I didn't get the option for next day shipping but had two $0 shipping options, the one for over $40 (or something like that) and one that just said "$0". I went with the latter hoping it will be the next day shipping option.
post #78 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not yet found *Google™ Live Channels Guide, but guess that will replace our beloved Rovi.
Not sure Rovi was all that "beloved," but if anyone can compete with Rovi and Gracenote, it's gotta be Google. I should have known.

OT: I wonder if the "Google™ Live Channels Guide" will eventually be the DVR+'s guide too? It would make sense to have one guide provider for both products; that's what Micro$oft did, with the Xbox One and WMC both using the same guide data (provided by Rovi, unfortunately).
Quote:
Bluetooth remote looks great, wonder if you can turn "voice control" off?
Bluetooth remote? Hmm....

The obvious advantage is that Bluetooth can work through walls. But it has very limited range; I doubt you'll be able to stroll through the house with the remote.

Another possible advantage is that, because of how Bluetooth works, you may be able to "pair" each remote with its Stream+ so you can have two in the same room. I certainly hope so, because the "big cup" shade isn't going to work with Bluetooth.

But the obvious disadvantage is that you can't use a universal "learning" remote. If you don't like the remote that comes with the Stream+, tough!
Quote:
"4K, HDR and 3D viewing technology" tops DVR+'s output.
Of course, you have to have a display capable of those things. (BTW, I've heard that if you must choose among them, HDR makes the most noticeable improvement.)
Quote:
Never had a MicroSD but do have spare USB-3 HD's.
Art
They are very tiny; about the size of a fingernail. They often come with adapters for devices (like my wife's digital camera) that take "full-size" SD cards, which are still rather small (about two thumbnails).

Occasionally, you can find a good price on these. I was once able to get a 128GB class 10 card for $30. But beware of fakes! Scammers have been hacking cheap 8GB cards to report 128GB then selling them as genuine 128GB cards. Had to send one of those back to Amazon.

There's a free "hdtest" program you can download and use to test whether an SD card (micro or not) has all the GB it claims to.
pilotart and ChannelMoocher like this.
post #79 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bluetooth remote? Hmm....

The obvious advantage is that Bluetooth can work through walls. But it has very limited range; I doubt you'll be able to stroll through the house with the remote.

Another possible advantage is that, because of how Bluetooth works, you may be able to "pair" each remote with its Stream+ so you can have two in the same room. I certainly hope so, because the "big cup" shade isn't going to work with Bluetooth.

But the obvious disadvantage is that you can't use a universal "learning" remote. If you don't like the remote that comes with the Stream+, tough!Of course, you have to have a display capable of those things. (BTW, I've heard that if you must choose among them, HDR makes the most noticeable improvement.)They are very tiny; about the size of a fingernail. They often come with adapters for devices (like my wife's digital camera) that take "full-size" SD cards, which are still rather small (about two thumbnails).
They call it a "IR/Bluetooth/Voice Remote". I'm hoping it uses IR for the main commands for the box, then uses Bluetooth for streaming music, etc. I don't know if Google Home devices use Bluetooth for their operation, or if it's used for voice searching, etc.
post #80 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They call it a "IR/Bluetooth/Voice Remote". I'm hoping it uses IR for the main commands for the box, then uses Bluetooth for streaming music, etc. I don't know if Google Home devices use Bluetooth for their operation, or if it's used for voice searching, etc.
OK, that sort of makes sense. You probably need something like Bluetooth for audio (in either direction*), but the push buttons are IR, or maybe both IR and Bluetooth. (Of course that also means Bluetooth pairing only applies to the Bluetooth part, so if you have two Stream+'s in one room, you may need that "big cup" after all)

Which means you can teach a universal remote the IR commands, at least; then, if the thought of your remote control eavesdropping on you creeps you out, just take the batteries out and use the universal remote instead!

Voice commands are a neat way of avoiding those Godawful "on-screen keyboards" (like the DVR+ uses for searches), but for Internet-connected devices (like pretty much every voice-operated thing I've ever seen except maybe Micro$oft Sync) I guess they'd be a tempting target for spies and hackers.

*In theory, you could modulate an IR beam with audio, but it'd be tricky to point the remote accurately while speaking the command! Might as well just push a button instead.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-19-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #81 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, after thinking about it, I doubt it streams music to the remote! How good of a speaker could they put in that thing anyway? It probably streams music to a separate Bluetooth device, such as a headset or sound bar.

So, I bet the remote uses Bluetooth for voice commands.
post #82 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lots of unhappy folks about Stream+ on the CM facebook page. And CM is NOT answering questions.

Write a Customer Review on the Stream+, although the button to read reviews doesn't appear to be working yet (nor does the "FAQ's & Support" button) (you must scroll down a bit HERE before those options drop down from the top).
post #83 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure Rovi was all that "beloved," but if anyone can compete with Rovi and Gracenote, it's gotta be Google. I should have known.

OT: I wonder if the "Google™ Live Channels Guide" will eventually be the DVR+'s guide too? It would make sense to have one guide provider for both products; that's what Micro$oft did, with the Xbox One and WMC both using the same guide data (provided by Rovi, unfortunately).
Google isn't in the listings business. The players in that game are still the players Google will have used. Google originally partnered with Rovi on Google Fiber TV. Heck, Rovi was their provider when Google TV first launched 7 years ago. I'm not sure if they are still using them for Live Channels Guide.
post #84 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure it was just their error on leaving out the "pre-order" information.

A nice lady from CM telephoned while I was out this afternoon (and left a voicemail) to explain my pre-order status and offer a refund if I wasn't happy.

Both my Samsung TV's came with Bluetooth Remotes which I love. They use IR just for turn-on, (the 2014 also came with a traditional IR Remote w/50+ lighted buttons and it's almost never used).

The Bluetooth has about a ten meter range, I can crank up the volume and hear it all the way into the kitchen and then when a commercial starts, the Mute works through a couple walls.
Art
post #85 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
I'm sure it was just their error on leaving out the "pre-order" information.

A nice lady from CM telephoned while I was out this afternoon (and left a voicemail) to explain my pre-order status and offer a refund if I wasn't happy.
I got a similar message on my answering machine. A friendly message letting me know that I ordered before their page was fully ready to take orders, and that it wouldn't ship until the end of January. She did sound nice, and I appreciate that they did make a mistake. I felt sorry for her to have been put in the position to have to make the calls. I hope those that were home when they got the call did not give her too hard a time.

I'm a little surprised they kept the charge on my PayPal account. Usually businesses won't charge until the product ships.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CM PayPal charge.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2332854  
pilotart likes this.
post #86 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
I ordered one this am.
Any brand to look for?
I have used a lot of SD cards in the past few years in industrial applications and I am convinced that SanDisk is the most reliable. I usually buy them on Amazon but Staples, MicroCenter, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and others often have good prices.
post #87 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
This is very worrisome news...there's nothing in the rule to prevent broadcasters...to require DVRs that can record ATSC 3.0 to be "crippled" so you can't skip commercials
I am NOT sitting through commercials. That's non-negotiable for me. If worse comes to worse, I just give up broadcast TV; that's unacceptable.
Alanlee likes this.
post #88 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt >
This
is very worrisome news...there's nothing in the rule to prevent broadcasters...to require DVRs that can record ATSC 3.0 to be "crippled" so you can't skip commercials
I am NOT sitting through commercials. That's non-negotiable for me. If worse comes to worse, I just give up broadcast TV; that's unacceptable.
The CM Stream+ web page says (in 3 places), "Pause, Rewind and record live TV" (requires a microSD card), so it appears that the device will record. But it doesn't say anything about Fast Forward! However, the remote control show a >> button (fast forward), so I assume they neglected to mention Fast Forward. They also neglected to mention Rewind and FF speeds. With no User Guide available, we'll likely have to wait until someone receives a Stream+.

post #89 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wonder if they will put app blocks on it so you can't install apps they don't want you to use......thinking of Kodi integration.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #90 of 682 Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Well! This is all very interesting. And very confusing to an ignoramus like me.

Here's what I know. I have a DVR+. I have poor reception (particularly frustrating since my TV reception is absolutely fine). I can normally get almost any station to come in well provided I spend an interminable five to ten minutes fiddling with antenna placement, but that almost always means sacrificing good reception on a lot of other stations. And that situation has gotten worse, not better, over the past year. It's gotten to the point where I simply don't depend on the DVR+ for any of my recordings, even though the quality of OTA HD is absolutely startling. I have PlayStation Vue to watch my must-have cable channels (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and SyFy). But I pretty much use Vue now, and its DVR, for almost all of the local channels as well, even though its 1280 x 720 pales in comparison to the full 1920 x 1080 of the DVR+ DVR recordings. The only thing I still use the DVR+ for nowadays is PBS recordings.

So I have a ton of questions about the Stream+.

First, my biggest concerns about it: I've been reading a lot about storage problems due to the adoption of micro SD's. I use a 2 tb external HD on my DVR+. And it's getting pretty full (mostly with stuff I want to save permanently, since I record less on it these days due to the unreliable reception). And, of course, thanks to Ex2Mgr and our very own DVR+ Lister, I can suck off any programs that I want to permanently store somewhere else or even edit out the commercials for keeps if I wish. Will I be able to do something similar with the OTA DVR storage on the Stream+?

One of the reasons I went with the DVR+ is that I was able to HDMI connect it directly to my TV and watch un-transcoded un-processed un-streamed OTA HD. Since the Stream+ has an HDMI out, I gather I can do the same thing with that as well. I'm nervous about whether they've created some system where the OTA DVR Stream+ recordings are "dumbed down" using storage-friendly digital compression codecs, like .265 or V9 or .264 or something like that, and that it's impossible to make un-transcoded un-processed DVR recordings, the way one can on the DVR+. My concern is heightened by the fact that DVR recordings are being stored on the significantly smaller Micro SD rather than the external USB drive.

How flexible will the Stream+ be when it comes to installing apps? For example, will I be able to install PlayStation Vue on the Stream+? Vue is available as an ap from the google Play Store so, hopefully, that will work fine.

Will the Stream+ DVR be able to make local recordings not only from OTA sources but also app sources? Probably unlikely; most likely that would create an impenetrable thicket of legal problems, but who knows? Maybe a miracle has happened and CM/Tecnicolor were able to negotiate that deal with a few services. (Don't forget that there are reports that DirecTV Now, another live streaming service, will be offering a Download and Go capability soon, which enables the subscriber to save physical copies of a program onto the subscriber's local in-home storage device.)

I'm surprised that the Stream+ is offering only ATSC 1.0 tuners. As a device for the future, it's odd that they would build obsolescence into the device like that before they even start shipping it. I can't help but suspect that there will be some sort of easy process to expand/upgrade the Stream+ once ATSC 3.0 tuners become useful and relevant to the average consumer.

And, finally, that is really weird that they're using an HDMI version that's not compatible with major 4K content suppliers. Definitely a question that needs to be asked, insistently and repeatedly, of CM. What is up with that???

And I've only scratched the service. On the one hand, it's very tempting to know that CM is offering what they claim is a successor device to the DVR+, particularly since the latter device has proved somewhat of a disappointment to me lately. Will the Stream+ have a superior tuner, as regards multipath, than the DVR+? That, in itself, might be enough to persuade me to make the switch. Maybe. Depends on the answers to some of my other questions.

I realize most of you here may not have the answers to some or most of these questions, and won't have until January when the first units hopefully start to arrive. But I figured it couldn't hurt to put as many of my questions on the record now as I could think of in preparation for the day when some of you get your Stream+'s and are in a position to start answering the many questions most of us have.

In the best-case scenario, this will turn out to be a marvelous device, a superior successor to the DVR+, and one which it makes sense for most of us to get. One can hope.

Last edited by criggs; 12-19-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page