AirTV networked OTA tuner - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #31 of 186 Old 04-13-2018, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Comparing picture quality with HDHomeRun(connect duo), I feel like HDHomeRun is better with high bitrate. Blackbox never got above 6 mbps for me and channel switching is a little sluggish than HDHomeRun.

Blackbox out of home streaming works with the sling app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 Old 05-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 78
As I understand it, the black box Air TV does work with built in Sling TV apps on Smart TVs. Like my MU8000 Samsung?

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Yamaha RX-A2070 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 4 Atrium 5 front & rear Tops | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000 | AppleTV 4K | miniDSP 2 X 4 |
post #33 of 186 Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got the black AirTV box. I am a Roku household.

A few things I have observed.
You cannot have the box associated with both the sling account and the stand alone airtv app. Weird. I mean, there are only two tuners. Let me use them how I see fit.

You cannot access the box at all. No interface to be had with it. Cannot adjust anything. No way that I have seen to do any updates to it. It gets stuck? You have to unplug it and the power plug is a bit of an embarasement. Or would be if I designed it. A small, plastic two pronged thing.

In Sling, you can see the bitrate of what you are viewing. Recently sling has been upgrading their servers as most everything is now above 3.7Mb/s. Yeah. Airtv is only at 1.6 Mb/s. And you cannot change it. Much better picture from the locals on sling (I get Fox and NBC) than from the from the airtv box.

Mine is wired, so no wireless issues.

I also have two hdhomerun devices, a prime and duo so I am familiar with the concept of networked tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 186 Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sigwing View Post
I've got the black AirTV box. I am a Roku household.

A few things I have observed.

In Sling, you can see the bitrate of what you are viewing. Recently sling has been upgrading their servers as most everything is now above 3.7Mb/s. Yeah. Airtv is only at 1.6 Mb/s. And you cannot change it. Much better picture from the locals on sling (I get Fox and NBC) than from the from the airtv box.
Hmm.... Roku doesn't do MPEG-2, so AirTV has to transcode. That should reduce the bitrate, but it sounds like the overdid it and the OTA PQ suffers as a result. Disappointing.

For reference, Fox's OTA bitrate is typically about 15 Mb/s. Transcoding to h.264 should reduce that, but only down to 4 or 5 Mb/s, not to 1.6 Mb/s.

Sounds like the AirTV box needs more work. BTW, I would think it could be updated via the USB port. Download new firmware to a thumb drive, then just plug it in. So maybe E* can work on these issues and release an update.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-30-2018 at 09:53 AM.
post #35 of 186 Old 05-30-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AirTV Black

Received our black box AirTV yesterday. I am using the iOS app and FireTV stick. It is connected via WiFi and works quite well.l.

Couple of issues:

1. Using the AirTV app on iOS of FireTV stick, you watch only a single stream at a time with the AirTV app. Trying to launch a second instance results in message:
AirTV is currently being used on other devices. Please wait or stop a device.(P-3) . You need to physically stop the other device.
post #36 of 186 Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow - that's not good either. The whole point of having two tuners was to allow two channels to be streamed at the same time.

Question for @Troy Sigwing : if you use the Sling TV app instead, can you use two devices at once?
post #37 of 186 Old 06-02-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
AirTV Networked OTA Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasik View Post
Received our black box AirTV yesterday...
Can you just verify that you can use this for out of home streaming?
post #38 of 186 Old 06-02-2018, 12:14 PM

I am using the Sling app on iphone with black box and out of home streaming is working for me

post #39 of 186 Old 06-02-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshakavuri View Post
I am using the Sling app on iphone with black box and out of home streaming is working for me

Thank you very much. Also, does it offer an Audio Only mode or does it just offer High Definition and Standard Definition?
post #40 of 186 Old 06-02-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Thank you very much. Also, does it offer an Audio Only mode or does it just offer High Definition and Standard Definition?

No audio mode only selecting different video modes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #41 of 186 Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshakavuri View Post
No audio mode only selecting different video modes...
That is very good to know. Thanks again!
post #42 of 186 Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got one of these yesterday.
Plugged it in via lan instead of wifi.
I'm a dedicated FireTV(v2) box owner and this thing works very well.

It was able to tune in more channels than my IVIEW-3200STB and like
the iView there is no ridiculous monthly fee for the program guide.

Very pleased that I now have OTA channels access in the bedroom.
The android app worked very well too and the price for this unit is fantastic
for the value. I don't have a sling account so I just use the AirTV app for
FireTV and android.

It was fun testing the dual tuner, watching one OTA channel in the living
room and another in the bedroom. No glitches, but over 2 hours of time
it skipped a second of video randomly 2 or 3 times. And that only
happened in the first 2 hours of use, but not after that. It's a great unit.

Last edited by rexdigital; 06-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #43 of 186 Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The guide is something I've wondered about. Obviously, if you use the Sling app, I expect Sling provides the guide; but if you're using the standalone AirTV app, does it just show the PSIP guide broadcast by the stations, or are they using an Internet-supplied guide of some sort?

(If the guide is only a day or two long, it's probably the PSIP guide. If it's a week or more, it's probably Internet-based.)

I wouldn't have a problem with a PSIP-based guide; just curious, mostly.

BTW, unlike @Karasik 's experience, it sounds like you were able to use both tuners using the AirTV app. You're using FireTV and Android; Karasik used FireTV and iOS. Perhaps there's a bug in the iOS app?
post #44 of 186 Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM

AirTV networked OTA tuner

I am using Sling app and I have 7 days of guide data. Today is 06/07 and I have guide data till 06/14

I used on ios and roku and was able to stream on both at the same time

Last edited by harshakavuri; 06-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #45 of 186 Old 06-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The guide is something I've wondered about. Obviously, if you use the Sling app, I expect Sling provides the guide; but if you're using the standalone AirTV app, does it just show the PSIP guide broadcast by the stations, or are they using an Internet-supplied guide of some sort?

The guide I saw does not look like the sling app guide which more resembles Comcast's xfinity app.

I didn't look for the total amount of time range it showed, but it did have the next 8 hours of programming showing with icons. On the far left of each channel the icon of the show, just underneath does show a progress bar of where the show is at currently.

It was showing them horizontally so you go left to right instead of up or down. I found it sufficient for my usage. And that is an improvement from the iView tuner I used which only showed basic text of the name of the show and a detailed summary of each episode if I hit the info button.

I found it odd that Amazon has not made a FireTV accessory for OTA tuning, but this box definitely takes care of it at a reasonable price.

When I first read about the 2nd gen AirTV a few days ago my only concern was a monthly fee for the guide but as I said, thankfully it is included when you get one.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by rexdigital; 06-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #46 of 186 Old 06-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AirTV Black Box

I have been using the AirTV Black box for about a month now. I am a Roku household with only one Amazon Stick, so the HDHomerun was out of the question. I also utilize the AirTV App and not the sling app, I didn't want to put my Charge Card info in an app that I don't use just to access the AirTV Feature.

As for usability, the app and black box is almost idiot proof. However, as with all Sling devices, not a lot of help from Sling or AirTV you just have to figure it out. Program guide is NOT the grid guide shown above that apparently is SLingTV only. Program guide is just a horizontal collection of programs, so you cant compare whats on different channels at different times, without moving between channels.

Comments have been made that there is no BOX interface, this is somewhat true, once set up, its set up. If you want to rescan for channels or delete channels you have to go thru the initial setup via the AirTV Phone interface. the Gear icon gives you minor config settings, and logout capabilities.

No DVR functionality as of yet. However, there is a USB port on the box, so cross your fingers. If app development is done by the same folks who did the Slingbox Time shifting apps, I have little hope however, Slingbox never listened to customers. (Slingbox is re-missioning the time shifting Slingboxes into the AirTV as they have discontinued production of all SlingBox units).

As for using multiple AirTVs. Well when you set the box up it does ask you for the device name, so I can only assume you can set up multiple units, This would allow you to add Duel Tuner units to get 4, 6, and 8 tuners if you want......interesting way to do it, and it does lend itself to having dedicated DVRs if the feature is ever released.

Review: It does what it says it does, I can watch Live TV on all my Roku Devices and my Amazon Stick as well as my Android Phone (backup phone, I actually use a Windows 10 phone). And that brings up my only issue with AirTV and ITS not specific to the windows phone. I would love to see a Windows 10 app that I can access AirTV on a PC.

When setting up box, it scans for the available channels, mine found 63 channels of which 23 were Spanish Speaking or QVC type channels. Recommendation, get a list of the broadcast channels in your area, and highlight the ones you actually want to see, because there is no way to remove them unless you go thru the setup procedure again.

Hope this helps everyone.

Robert
JHBrandt likes this.
post #47 of 186 Old 06-10-2018, 07:00 AM

AirTV networked OTA tuner

Thanks Robert.

Good to know the difference in guide data using Airtv app and Sling app. Sling app with black box gets 7 days of grid guide. I thought both are same apart from the Sling tv integration.

One more major difference between the apps Sling app and Airtv with black box is Sling app doesn't work on all supported platforms (apple tv, XBOX).

I have a international sports package with Sling and I don't want to install 2 apps when I can do it in 1 so using Sling app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #48 of 186 Old 06-10-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Best overall review I've seen yet; thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterdaddy View Post
I also utilize the AirTV App and not the sling app, I didn't want to put my Charge Card info in an app that I don't use just to access the AirTV Feature.

Program guide is NOT the grid guide shown above that apparently is SLingTV only. Program guide is just a horizontal collection of programs, so you cant compare whats on different channels at different times, without moving between channels.
Sounds a bit like the iView, except the iView's guide is vertical.

You didn't say how far out it goes, but I'd bet it's PSIP-based, so the length probably varies by channel and ranges between 1/2 day and 3 days.@Rexdigital; posted below that the AirTV app guide is 7 days, same length as the SlingTV app. So probably Internet-based after all; just not as nice of a UI as the Sling guide. Hope they improve it for any eventual DVR update.
Quote:
Comments have been made that there is no BOX interface, this is somewhat true, once set up, its set up. If you want to rescan for channels or delete channels you have to go thru the initial setup via the AirTV Phone interface. the Gear icon gives you minor config settings, and logout capabilities.
That's a bit disappointing. It's no fun to have to do a full rescan every time you want to add or delete a channel. Also, it'd be better to have post-setup capability to hide or skip channels and/or create "favorite channel" lists as the iView allows.

I hope these shortcomings are addressed if DVR capability gets added. Echostar (makers of the AirTV box as well as Slingbox as well as a couple of DVRs) got it more or less right on their DVRs, so there's hope.

Quote:
No DVR functionality as of yet. However, there is a USB port on the box, so cross your fingers. If app development is done by the same folks who did the Slingbox Time shifting apps, I have little hope however, Slingbox never listened to customers. (Slingbox is re-missioning the time shifting Slingboxes into the AirTV as they have discontinued production of all SlingBox units).
I didn't know that! So anyone wanting a Slingbox better get one quick, before they're gone?

Quote:
As for using multiple AirTVs. Well when you set the box up it does ask you for the device name, so I can only assume you can set up multiple units, This would allow you to add Duel Tuner units to get 4, 6, and 8 tuners if you want......interesting way to do it, and it does lend itself to having dedicated DVRs if the feature is ever released.
Also useful if you need multiple antennas to receive stations in different directions. You could hang an AirTV box on each antenna, and let the AirTV app choose the correct AirTV box for each station.

Quote:
It does what it says it does, I can watch Live TV on all my Roku Devices and my Amazon Stick as well as my Android Phone (backup phone, I actually use a Windows 10 phone). And that brings up my only issue with AirTV and ITS not specific to the windows phone. I would love to see a Windows 10 app that I can access AirTV on a PC.
Or at least build in an HTML server so you could access it from Edge or another Web browser.

Quote:
When setting up box, it scans for the available channels, mine found 63 channels of which 23 were Spanish Speaking or QVC type channels. Recommendation, get a list of the broadcast channels in your area, and highlight the ones you actually want to see, because there is no way to remove them unless you go thru the setup procedure again.
That's pretty typical. Dallas/Ft. Worth has over 100 channels, but only about 30 "good" ones.

The AirTV sounds a bit like the Dish 20.1 "learning" remote control: you have to get everything right the first time, because if you need to change anything, you have to do it all from scratch every time.

Quote:
Hope this helps everyone.
I think it does. Thanks again.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #49 of 186 Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I didn't know that! So anyone wanting a Slingbox better get one quick, before they're gone?
They stopped manufacturing of the boxes in January of 2017 and have just been selling off stock since then. The one thing I wonder about with Sling is future support. Just like DVR+ there is no indication that Sling servers will not continue to run long into the future ... but no indication that the opposite could happen either. :-)
post #50 of 186 Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Liked: 12
Some clarifications on my post

My comments about Slings supoort, over the years I have found Sling (echostar) really wants to just sell their products. I have two Slingbox Solos and a Slingbox 350, all of them have been fantastic devices, but the only real support is from customer forums like this one, and Sling has constantly taken down good resource pages on their servers. As for app support there is none, they will release an app, and let it flounder in the wind.

The only reason I purchased the AirTV was knowing it was made by Sling and the good luck I have had with it, knowing in advance I would have to just wing it on support. (and also knowing the HDHomerun will not work with Roku).

But I stand by my review, AirTV is really a good little box that performs as advertised.

And as folks have said, if you still use Cable or Sat. by all means get a Slingbox as soon as you can, if Slingbox does not have them, resellers will.

Robert
rexdigital likes this.
post #51 of 186 Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I checked the guide and went days ahead. Like another poster stated, the program guide for AirTV app seems to be 7 days worth of programming.

One thing I wish could be solved is, SD sub-channel content in 4x3 is squeezed a bit inward. It's like a sideways rectangle.
Wish there was a way to make it 4x3 square and not squeezed.

I've heard that yes, the usb port is for an eventual DVR function and if I'm not mistaken, they are beta testing that now for the older AirPLAY box.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by rexdigital; 06-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
post #52 of 186 Old 06-11-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Just like DVR+ there is no indication that Sling servers will not continue to run long into the future ... but no indication that the opposite could happen either. :-)
Good point. But the AirTV box essentially includes a built-in Slingbox, so that AirTV owners can watch their "home" TV stations when they're out of town. Hopefully both the Slingbox and AirTV use the same servers for that function, so that Slingboxes will keep working as long as AirTV's "remote viewing" function does. But as with the DVR+ guide, we don't really know for sure.
post #53 of 186 Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Angry Sling TV 9-701 error with AirTV

With an AirTV (black) tuner; while attempting to configure it for Sling TV with the Sling TV Android app v5.9.821 (player v3.3.1.221) it can not save the found channels and throws a 9-701 error when proceeding to the "Watch TV" step.

For confirmation that this is a Sling TV app problem; I have used the AirTV Android app v1.0.4 (player v1.50.2) to configure the AirTV and can watch OTA TV channels both with the AirTV Android app and the Fire TV app on my TV as well.

The only difference found, is that the Sling TV Android app skips the zip code question and; obviously, does not save the found channels.

In three serial chat sessions with Sling TV (two chat sessions dropped off midstream) they were unwilling to work on the issue with their Sling TV app and instead recommended contacting AirTV instead. Since AirTV does not offer support via web chat or e-mail and a phone call is not going to happen; I am asking the community if anyone has found a workaround for this bug in the Sling TV app?

Also, can anyone explain why the Sling TV app not read the profile created by the AirTV app? It would seem that utilizing a common structure for the configuration would simplify the whole ecosystem that they are attempting to create.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirTV-missingZip.png
Views:	32
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	2425436  
post #54 of 186 Old 07-07-2018, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2018 View Post
With an AirTV (black) tuner; while attempting to configure it for Sling TV with the Sling TV Android app v5.9.821 (player v3.3.1.221) it can not save the found channels and throws a 9-701 error when proceeding to the "Watch TV" step.

For confirmation that this is a Sling TV app problem; I have used the AirTV Android app v1.0.4 (player v1.50.2) to configure the AirTV and can watch OTA TV channels both with the AirTV Android app and the Fire TV app on my TV as well.

The only difference found, is that the Sling TV Android app skips the zip code question and; obviously, does not save the found channels.

In three serial chat sessions with Sling TV (two chat sessions dropped off midstream) they were unwilling to work on the issue with their Sling TV app and instead recommended contacting AirTV instead. Since AirTV does not offer support via web chat or e-mail and a phone call is not going to happen; I am asking the community if anyone has found a workaround for this bug in the Sling TV app?

Also, can anyone explain why the Sling TV app not read the profile created by the AirTV app? It would seem that utilizing a common structure for the configuration would simplify the whole ecosystem that they are attempting to create.
I used to have had to go back and forth between setup using Air TV app and setup using SlingTV app, but after Roku SlingTV support rollout, it remains setup for/using SlingTV. BTW, this is my second Black Box, the original failed after a few months, after one of these factory resets from AirTV to SlingTV it refused to scan channels altogether. AirTV sent out a replacement promptly, and their customer service has greatly improved over last few months, IMHO.

The same OTA channels that were scanned using my iPhone are viewed on my Roku, but, OTA channels have never been able to be added to "My Channels" on my devices. I was told that after Apple TV SlingTV integration, ( no eta), the ability to add OTA to "My Channels" maybe supported, but due to fragmentation between platforms it was not possible at this time.
post #55 of 186 Old 07-07-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you tried a Sling TV app on another device (Roku, iPad, etc.)? It may be a problem with Sling TV itself or with your subscription rather than a problem with the Sling app on the AirTV.

I certainly ran into my share of similar errors back when the Sling app on the DVR+ worked. If they weren't intermittent they were invariably Sling server outages.

Regarding the Zip code prompt, the AirTV app may use TiVo/Rovi for local channel guide data. TiVo/Rovi has always used a Zip code to provide the correct guide data for devices using their guide service, so it would need to ask you for your Zip code.

Sling, OTOH, seems to use a geolocation database based on your IP address. When I had Sling, my local NBC and Fox channels would automatically change from the Dallas affiliates to the OKC ones whenever my wife & I visited her mother in Stroud, OK, and I never got prompted for my Zip code. So the Sling app probably doesn't need it.
post #56 of 186 Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM

The Sling TV app only does AirTV OTA configuration on IOS or Android, all other platforms just view the AirTV device. Maybe I can borrow an IOS device from someone and try it on that?
post #57 of 186 Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm.... Roku doesn't do MPEG-2, so AirTV has to transcode. That should reduce the bitrate, but it sounds like the overdid it and the OTA PQ suffers as a result. Disappointing.

The AirTV Black Box uses the Pixelworks Xcode 5116 for transcoding.https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-Solution.html
It is also what allows streaming "out of network" over cellular systems.

I've been using the HDHomerun Connect Duo more than my AirTV recently, as AirTV has still not released the DVR features for the (BB). After seeing several posts at Silicon Dust forum about why HDHomerun devices aren't supported on Roku, I dug around a bit, and found out about Pixelworks contributions to AirTV (BB).

What I thought was just a little disengenuous was how AirTV touted how OTA has such better quality imaging than cable TV providers, ( which is true, but,...), they actually use similar techniques to get the OTA broadcasts to your TV set through your client, ( Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV etc).

HDHomerun offers the Extend series that does internal transcoding as well. They state it works better with users who have older home networks and that, recording take up less space than their Connect series. However, even this unit is not supported directly on Roku devices. It seems all the HDHomerun devices need to be transcoded by Plex, or similar system, for viewing on Roku.

When AirTV finally releases DVR support for the BB, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and compare the entire setup against my Connect Duo/DVR setup.

My concerns are; locked down recordings, (like on Stream+), and possibility of monthly fee after Beta concludes. I pay $35 a year for my HDHomerun DVR subscription with 14 day guide. That's less than $3 a month. I actually like AirTV/SlingTV guide better than HDHomerun. They pay the license Fee to use a linear guide. HDHomerun guide is kind of confusing with images of the program playing now, followed by upcoming broadcasts. You can search by title or genre up to 14 days etc. but AirTV/SlingTV is good old linear style and very comfortable. If the AirTV DVR recordings can't be backed up, or are encrypted, it's a non starter for me.

It shouldn't be too much longer before the Beta DVR features are released for the BB, and hopefully the Apple TV SlingTV app with OTA support as well. They have a lot of competition, may the best device/service win.

Last edited by merman9393; 07-21-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #58 of 186 Old 07-21-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
HDHomerun offers the Extend series that does internal transcoding as well. They state it works better with users who have older home networks and that, recording take up less space than their Connect series. However, even this unit is not supported directly on Roku devices. It seems all the HDHomerun devices need to be transcoded by Plex, or similar system, for viewing on Roku.
OT I realize, but why is that? I was aware the Connect transcoded, which should make it playable on Rokus - and yet it isn't?!? What bit of nastiness did SiliconDust include in their transcoded streams to ensure that outcome - and why? Is there some SD/Roku feud going on?
Quote:
I actually like AirTV/SlingTV guide better than HDHomerun. They pay the license Fee to use a linear guide.
Wait a minute - there's a license fee required to display an onscreen guide in the same format TV Guide magazine used for decades? Let me guess: TiVo/Rovi owns the "rights" to that "invention." Inventors are entitled to patent protection, but the US PTO should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this. (Sorry for the rant.)
Quote:
It shouldn't be too much longer before the Beta DVR features are released for the BB, and hopefully the Apple TV SlingTV app with OTA support as well. They have a lot of competition, may the best device/service win.
I look forward to seeing what they come up with, although from the foregoing, it sounds like the "winner" won't necessarily be the best device or service, but the one with the best patent lawyers.
merman9393 likes this.
post #59 of 186 Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
OT I realize, but why is that? I was aware the Connect transcoded, which should make it playable on Rokus - and yet it isn't?!? What bit of nastiness did SiliconDust include in their transcoded streams to ensure that outcome - and why? Is there some SD/Roku feud going on?
Wait a minute - there's a license fee required to display an onscreen guide in the same format TV Guide magazine used for decades? Let me guess: TiVo/Rovi owns the "rights" to that "invention." Inventors are entitled to patent protection, but the US PTO should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this. (Sorry for the rant.)I look forward to seeing what they come up with, although from the foregoing, it sounds like the "winner" won't necessarily be the best device or service, but the one with the best patent lawyers.
Hmmmm, SiliconDust transcodes to MP4, and provides HTTP links to the FULLY transcoded files, or is there some other mechanism involved? It may be a technical issue...

Yes, Rovi owns the "rights" to TV guides displayed on TV screens (and maybe even all guides regardless of display type, if they ever wanted to push it). It's up to companies to either agree to the "patent troll" license terms, or fight it in court. I know Roku declined proactively to either fight or license, and pulled stuff out of their APIs that could be used to create TV guides from Internet data. On the other hand, they took the lawsuit from another patent troll about "casting" material from one device to another device, not sure what the status of that suit. Netflix took several lawsuits from patent trolls and won (at least in the trial courts, the cases are on appeal), companies like Apple and Google took lawsuits like that and lost over a $billion in the east Texas trial court (which is the venue that patent trolls try to get their cases heard).

A few years back the Supreme Court knocked down the idea of taking standard technology like a "guide" and claiming patent protection if they added the words "online", "Internet", "electronic device", etc., to their vaguely-written "patents", but like all legal decisions the existing cases still have to expensively wind their way through the courts, usually ultimately to the Supreme Court AGAIN. So it becomes a "business" decision: which is cheaper, license the "patent", fight it, or just give up before you even try. In most of the cases that wound up in court that I'm aware of, companies had spent a considerable amount of time and money "negotiating" with the patent trolls, only to decide the terms were too high (anything over $0 is too high for nonsense), and then in many cases, LOSING to the patent trolls in trial court (in Texas, generally).

In ten years or so, you might be able to get certain patent troll lawsuits dismissed in pre-trial motions, effectively rendering the patent void, but ten years is a long time in building an online business...

--
max
JHBrandt likes this.
post #60 of 186 Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, HDHomerun doesn't have an app on the Roku. It's possible the extend version with internal transcoding, might transcode into a usable format to view on Roku, maybe they didn't want to confuse customers with an app that only works with the Extend series on Roku.

I prefer not having my OTA broadcast changed. My home network is fairly new, and none of the HD Sports broadcasts network programs have any problems playing over WiFi to my iPhone, IPad, or Fire Tablet, all other connections are Ethernet. Side by side, the AirTV does take a little bit longer when changing stations, could be a delay caused by transcoding.

The upside, is that Roku has a quality device that can provide OTA broadcasts, and hopefully DVR features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
9-701 error , airtv , Ota , slingtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page