AirTV networked OTA tuner - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #151 of 165 Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
OTA recording doesn't use a stream. The data goes straight from your TV antenna to a tuner in the AirTV black box, and thence to the attached disk drive. Your home network isn't even involved. So you can record one or two OTA shows without using any streams. The two-stream limit only applies to OTA (live or recorded) content you're watching at the time.

I'm less sure about Sling's cloud DVR (for recording Sling channels) since I never used it myself, but I think it doesn't use a stream either. It all happens on Sling's servers. Again, I think the 3-stream limit applies only to content (live or recorded) you're watching at the time.

I don't know if, if you have a good enough home network and five TV's, you can watch five things at once (two AirTV streams and three Sling streams). The Sling app might limit you to three simultaneous logins; if so, you could only watch from three TV's at once, two of which could be from the AirTV box.

The only downside is, on-demand content and policies vary from channel to channel. Some channels (e.g., TBS) are pretty good; others (e.g., MSNBC) aren't so good.

You can give Sling a 7-day trial before you buy the AirTV, to see whether the channels you watch have the content you want on demand, and whether using the cloud DVR counts against the 3-stream limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Thanks. But the 2 recordings use 2 tuners, so can't use Airtv for 3rd channel watching, right? But Sling has 2 of my locals live, so can watch 2 through Sling, and record 2 locals on Airtv.

I was actually thinking of buying the Airtv before Sling to make sure it picked up the same stations as my TV. My TV picks up 20 stations good quality, so Airtv should pick up the same 20 if I don't touch the antenna, right? The TV is a cheap DVD combo thing in a remote room, but with a router/access point in the room.
post #153 of 165 Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Thanks. But the 2 recordings use 2 tuners, so can't use Airtv for 3rd channel watching, right?
Right. If you're recording two OTA shows at once, you can only watch:

• Sling (or other streaming apps)
  • Prerecorded shows
  • One of the two channels you're recording

IOW, it's just like any other 2-tuner DVR, except it has two independent "outputs," so to speak (you can stream from it on two TVs at once).
Quote:
But Sling has 2 of my locals live, so can watch 2 through Sling, and record 2 locals on Airtv.
Not sure about that. When you add the AirTV, the many locals it finds OTA replace the few locals Sling carries OTT in the Sling guide. Each of your local stations only appears in the guide once; those two stations don't appear twice, so there's no way to stream the "Sling" copy.
Quote:
My TV picks up 20 stations good quality, so Airtv should pick up the same 20 if I don't touch the antenna, right?
I would think so, yes. In fact, you might be able to do even better. The AirTV doesn't have to be near a TV, so if you can get more stations by putting the antenna elsewhere, go ahead and move it and put the AirTV where you can hook it to the antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 165 Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Howdy @tcat - The two are very integrated and the recording between antennae and Sling proper are totally separate.

The limitations are no pausing live TV without setting up a recording, and no padding recordings.

Since you are in Austin too(I am in South Austin) I would be willing to let you borrow mine to try for a bit and you can then buy it if you want to keep it.. I have had the new Tablo Quad for a week now and am going to go with it as our solution as it fits our needs better.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #155 of 165 Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
I just bought the new Tablo Quad. So I will have HDHomeRun Extend, extend and the new Tablo Quad. I will let y'all know what I think of it.. Then two of three are going to eBay
Quote:
I have had the new Tablo Quad for a week now and am going to go with it as our solution as it fits our needs better.
Excellent! If you'd like, let us know what you think.

I know it's OT for this thread, but it'd be a perfect post for the thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-new-post.html
xnappo likes this.
post #156 of 165 Old 04-11-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Excellent! If you'd like, let us know what you think.

I know it's OT for this thread, but it'd be a perfect post for the thread at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-new-post.html
Thanks, I will post something there.
post #157 of 165 Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #158 of 165 Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! And assuming you don't mind, I'll quote the AirTV section of your comparative review here as well (Everyone: for all reviews follow xnappo's link above):
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I wanted to drop in and do a little review of three solutions I have tried.

Some background - I was doing the HTPC thing for a long time using cable TV with a Ceton card and WMC. My HTPC died, and I moved to NVidia Shields for both my living room and home theater. I have FireTV stick for the bedroom.

I will never go back to having multiple boxes - I love just having the ShieldTV being the ONLY thing to control.

I use SlingTV Blue for my cable now after trying Hulu and YouTubeTV - the interface has the highest family acceptance and the price is right - of course there are no locals.

Third solution: AirTV 'black box' with Sling App

Pros:
Integration with Sling App (obviously)
Very simple setup
Free guide data (with Sling subscription anyway)

Cons:
No 'trick play' - you can't pause and rewind live TV (you can go through several clicks and start recording, but this is annoying)
No way to set early/late start times for recordings
No way to transfer recordings off drive
Picture quality slightly worse than other solutions
Pretty much zero online presence from Sling for feature requests/status etc (please let me know if I am missing something!)

Hope this is helpful.

xnappo
I agree with those - especially the first three "cons." Any competent DVR should be able to pause/rewind live TV, adjust start/end times, and allow OTA recordings to be copied off. Even "cheapo" iViews and HomeWorXes can do those things! And the last con makes it hard to get the other cons addressed.

AirTV's slightly worse PQ is probably a result of transcoding. Of course the Tablo does that too, but its more powerful CPU lets you choose higher PQ (at the expense of HDD storage). I guess that's one reason the Tablo costs more.

Also, I still think AirTV needs a four-tuner model. The AirTV allows two streams for two TVs, so it's typically going to record more than a one-TV DVR, meaning there will be more recording conflicts. And conflicts will get worse if they fix it to let you adjust start/end times, since that can make recordings overlap at the starts and ends.
xnappo likes this.
post #159 of 165 Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI from Facebook:

Chris: Please add ability to pause live tv, and to add buffer to beginning and end of recordings!

AirTV: Hey Chris! We do have an firmware update to improve the DVR features forthcoming. Stay tuned!
JHBrandt likes this.
post #160 of 165 Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have been thinking about one of these again. Did they ever add an Audio Only mode in the Android app for this? These are times when I want to hear the audio portion of something, but not need or want the video.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503730/airtv
post #161 of 165 Old 05-22-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think there's an audio-only mode, but that's a good price on one of these.
post #162 of 165 Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Air TV mini $79

Looks like Dish is releasing a new Dongle using Android TV,..
https://9to5google.com/2019/05/20/ai...-tv-from-dish/

Reportedly this unit doesn't support their direct connect OTA tuner, but would rely on the "black box" network tuner to integrate live OTA into Sling TV.

They also are releasing a new "black box" using better wifi, but all other specs seem unchanged.
https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-05/airtv2/

Lots of info about new Dish equipment including the above two and, an OTA signal locator for installing antennas
https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr.../#post-4366741
mshaver76 likes this.

Last edited by merman9393; 05-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #163 of 165 Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
Looks like Dish is releasing a new Dongle using Android TV..
https://9to5google.com/2019/05/20/ai...-tv-from-dish/

Reportedly this unit doesn't support their direct connect OTA tuner, but would rely on the "black box" network tuner to integrate live OTA into Sling TV.
Makes sense Dish would get in on this. Most Android boxes (whether Android TV or just vanilla Android) will run the Sling app and therefore will integrate with the AirTV BB.

Ironically, the AirTV player reportedly has some trouble in this area, probably because its Sling app is customized to use its own tuner dongle; hence the need for a new Android box. But I suppose one could substitute an eMatic Jetstream and save $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
They also are releasing a new "black box" using better wifi, but all other specs seem unchanged.
https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-05/airtv2/
They need to release a 4-tuner version, along with some firmware enhancements, including allowing recordings to be padded.
post #164 of 165 Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
They need to release a 4-tuner version, along with some firmware enhancements, including allowing recordings to be padded.
I just had a look at the SatelliteGuys thread merman linked to and there is a 4-tuner version coming. To sum up the info from that thread:

AirTV Mini is the dongle that will replace the AirTV Player. It's faster than the current Player, but has no remote finder and with no USB ports doesn't support the external tuner and hard drive that allowed the Player to tune and record local channels. To integrate local channels you'll need one of the black boxes, either AirTV or AirTV 2. The Mini is coming in July and will cost $80.

AirTV 2 is the network tuner that is basically the same as the current AirTV (Black Box) but is smaller and has better WiFi. It's coming in September and will cost $100.

And finally, the AirTV Plus DVR will be the 4-tuner version with a 1TB hard drive. It's coming in November, but no price information was given.

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...2#post-4367020
JHBrandt likes this.
post #165 of 165 Old 05-27-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I think it's a good move, and it looks like it'll be just in time for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Interesting that the 4-tuner version will include a 1TB HDD. I'm not psyched about that - built-in DVR HDDs tend to be overpriced and are a bigger hassle if anything goes wrong. (With the current USB-attached HDD approach, a mirroring enclosure supplies a measure of backup.) But I suppose they're trying to go head-to-head with the 1TB Recast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
9-701 error , airtv , Ota , slingtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page