post #1 of 166 Old 01-07-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
AirTV networked OTA tuner

https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv/

https://zatznotfunny.com/2018-01/air...r/#more-289935

AirTV/Dish is "Soft Launching" their latest device, an OTA networked Tuner. They are developing DVR capabilities that will be in future updates. More details during CES convention this week.

This device connects to an OTA antenna, whoever it can get ultimate reception, and connects to home network to receive channels on various streaming devices, Roku etc, through either an AirTV app, or Sling TV app. 2 different devices can display OTA from different channels on home network, or 1 device away from home and 1 on home network.

OTA channels seemlessly integrate with the Sling TV guide streaming service.

Dish will evaluate desire for DVR integration at conclusion of "Soft Launch".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 01-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
Dish will evaluate desire for DVR integration at conclusion of "Soft Launch".
This is essential for me ... the features look great, but I would insist on a DVR service for OTA channels at least.
post #3 of 166 Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
This is essential for me ... the features look great, but I would insist on a DVR service for OTA channels at least.
I agree DVR is top of my list. I already use Sling TV, and opt for the $5 a month up charge for Cloud DVR. I can record 90% of the channels in my plan.

If, and it's all an if at this point, I can DVR the OTA channels , it will be worth dumping Comcast and the X1 last year.

Dish/Sling TV is the only one of the big Streaming channels to see that an antenna/OTA route is likely easier than the negotiations with al the local channels for carriage. None of the big Five or Six Streamers offer PBS, METV or the good sub channels in their local live packages. You Tube TV has the major networks in the limited markets it operates, but Hulu Live, Vue, Direct TV Now, and even Sling TV only have 1 or 2 majors plus Univision, CBS is a big hold out.

I'll see what they say at CES, and hold out hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 166 Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
I agree DVR is top of my list. I already use Sling TV, and opt for the $5 a month up charge for Cloud DVR. I can record 90% of the channels in my plan.
We used Sling TV for a free trial period and then one month recently because, evidently, no matter how much you cut the cord you cannot miss the Hallmark Movie Channel at Christmas time (my sense of it was they do a unique artsy thing where they have the same movie done dozens of times with different actors).

The SlingTV DVR was very slick and worked very well. I didn't get to the point where I really mastered it because I wasn't the primary user, but it seemed like you could fast forward through commercials but not "skip ahead".

If the AirTV can exist as a OTA + streaming apps other than SlingTV, such as Netflix and Prime, and will work without subscribing to SlingTV, I'll consider it. I don't think I would if I have to subscribe to SlingTV to get DVR functionality for OTA, or have to pay a monthly fee for the OTA guide, etc.
post #5 of 166 Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the AirTV late Friday, but just now received my order completion verification. No notice of Shipping ETA, but assume they are shipping quickly as they are wanting feedback. Hopefully feedback from Paying customers requesting DVR functionality will push that issue.

I noticed the delivery of my Stream* has been pushed back 2 weeks to mid February. Ill add a Gold Star to the one that arrives first.

Will review when it arrives.
post #6 of 166 Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

My AirTV arrived this morning. Pretty easy setup, as this is replacing my Clearstream TV wifi antenna. The Tuner is better than the tuner in Clearstream TV. Stations that were not dependable are now clearly locked in.

I'm using the AirTV stand alone app, as the OTA integration into Sling TV is not supported yet on Apple TV. It is obviously a trimmed down Sling TV app, same type of Grid guide, swiping upwards shows what's on other channels across bottom, etc.

I also have access to a Fire TV stick, so wanted to see OTA integration. It looks great. It isn't exactly a fair comparison as, Fire Tv uses Wifi, but my Apple TV connects directly to modem/router, and fo now at least the AirTV also uses Wifi. Considering that,... Most of the OTA channels had a slight issue on first tuning in, maybe 3 seconds in, but then was steady. Sling TV Guide identifies channels as MyTV, COZI, RETRO, Wash CBS, Balt CBS, etc., while the AirTV guide identifies by channel numb/id and channel browse has Title of show, length, following show, then call letters and numbers.

Obviously no DVR yet. I feel good about it though. The Sling TV app already has cloud DVR functionality, as the OTA channels are integrated for all platforms it wouldn't be to hard to follow through on DVR functionality.

I have an unused MOCA setup that I want to use to connect to the AirTV Ethernet port and see if that resolves the issue on FireTV.

Edit- The AirTV stand alone app on Fire TV Stick did not have the same 3 second glitch so, it isn't a wifi connection issue,
Which means it is probably within the integration software. I will tweet AirTV Help to report.

Last edited by merman9393; 01-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 166 Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Your Airtv setup and question?

Merman9393, do you have the Airtv "black box," that connects to the antenna and broadcasts over wifi to your tv? That is what your description sounds like.

I am looking in to the same thing because I can use the wifi, but not the internet (which I understand Sling uses) because our internet data costs too much. I just want to get the antenna signal to the TV.

What capability does your router have? We have an old router, but I would be happy to get a new one; I'd just want it to be fast enough, or have enough bandwidth, or whatever it needs.

How has everything been going since your last post?

Thank you!
post #8 of 166 Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
I agree; it sounds like @merman9393 has the new "black" box. Hope he sees this and can respond.
Quote:
I had a very helpful conversation with Marie at Airtv.net. Among other things, she advised me that if all I need to do is get a signal from an antenna to the tv without a coax cable, the device of theirs I need is the "black box", which will send the signal via a home router to a Roku or a Firestick that plugs in to one of the HDMI input ports on the tv.

This is what I want to do. Their other device, the "white box," aka AirTV Player, requires a cable to the TV (which I do not have) and works with SlingTV, (which I do not want).

I can only find reviews of the "white box." Do any of you use the "black box," or can you direct me to reviews of it? One question I have is whether any modern router would work, or do I need one that is super fast or has super bandwidth? (I know these are technical terms, and I could use help with that too!) Airtv has a 30 day trial, and I want the router ready to go when the device arrives.
In an attempt to clarify AirTV's confusing terminology, the "white" box is the original AirTV, now called the AirTV Player. The "black" box is the new AirTV. The AirTV Player (white box) has a built-in TV an optional OTA tuner but doesn't do retransmit OTA channels via WiFi: its only use is to integrate local OTA stations into the Sling TV service.

The new AirTV (black box) also has a two built-in TV tuners, but includes and can retransmit them via WiFi, which makes it usable without running a cable to the TV. My understanding is that it will work either with or without Sling TV, but we're hoping to find someone who has actually used it and can tell us how well it works.

Here are links to both:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The new AirTV box is gone from the Slingbox "buy" page now. But you can still get it at AirTV's site: https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv/ (The original AirTV player is at https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv_player)

The price of the new AirTV is the same as it was on the Slingbox "buy" page while it was there: $120. I think the fact that it was briefly listed on the Slingbox page betrays its origin

Supposedly, it lets you watch outside of the home:Which makes me think it incorporates a Slingbox internally.
BTW, more confusing terminology: a Slingbox has nothing to do with Sling TV. The former is a device that lets you stream video from your home onto the Internet so you can watch it elsewhere; Sling TV is a streaming service for folks to receive popular cable/satellite TV channels over the Internet.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-20-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Miscellaneous corrections
post #9 of 166 Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in Texas View Post
Merman9393, do you have the Airtv "black box," that connects to the antenna and broadcasts over wifi to your tv? That is what your description sounds like.

I am looking in to the same thing because I can use the wifi, but not the internet (which I understand Sling uses) because our internet data costs too much. I just want to get the antenna signal to the TV.

What capability does your router have? We have an old router, but I would be happy to get a new one; I'd just want it to be fast enough, or have enough bandwidth, or whatever it needs.

How has everything been going since your last post?

Thank you!
Judy in Tejas- I sent you a PM regarding my AirTV device, and a bit more than what I'm posting here.

I have the AirTV, the black device that is based on the SlingBox M platform designed by Echostar. The AirTV Player, ( an entirely different device ), is based off of Android TV, manufactured by Technicolor in France.

Other than what is in my previous post, there are no new devolpments. I am anxiously awaiting updates to their apps. Neither the AirTV nor Sling TV apps for Apple TV have been updated since 12-17-2017, when they were released hastily to support the device. Sling TVs app for IOS/TVOS have been updated on average every 30 days, and CS hinted that they want the next update to support integration for all devices, so, it could be any day.

I feel confident any issues I had are software related, and they will be resolved quickly.

@air TVhelp tweeted on 1-25-2018 "We do have some pretty interesting news regarding DVR functionality being made available via software updates in the near future."

As soon as updates are pushed out, I will update here.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10 of 166 Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

At least AirTV have become a bit more loose lipped in regards to developments.
A customer service tweet in early February implied OTA recording was only slated for ATVplayer. Days later, official notice that an upcoming software update would open up the feature to both devices, and that it would be via USB port, not cloud.
Attachments are latest comparison between AirTV and AirTV Player, officially stating that OTA DVR is coming soon To both devices, and a reply from AirTV regarding AppleTV support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	2363822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2363824  
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11 of 166 Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to hear. As an Android device, it's likely the AirTV Player's OTA DVR capabilities will be subject to the same limitation of recording on "adopted" storage (i.e., encrypted to the device), unless of course it has a workaround like Plex on the Nvidia. But AFAIK there's no reason to believe the AirTV "black box" will have that limitation.

OTOH, from the comparison chart, it looks like only the Player's Sling app supports the cloud DVR for Sling TV; not the black box's app. The comparison chart also implies the AirTV Player does not have a built-in tuner (a la the Channel Master Stream+) as I had thought; instead, you buy it separately as the "AirTV Adapter." (Yet more confusion. They certainly make their offerings complicated!)

In any case, it looks like these AirTV boxes will soon be welcome additions to the sparse field of North American OTA DVRs. Please keep us posted when the promised DVR capability arrives.
merman9393 likes this.
post #12 of 166 Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 12
could one hook up a second OTA dual tuner to the other usb input on their hopper3 and be able to record up to four separate signals of over the air?
post #13 of 166 Old 02-23-2018, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
could one hook up a second OTA dual tuner to the other usb input on their hopper3 and be able to record up to four separate signals of over the air?
To access the OTA broadcasts you have to use an app, I use the AirTV app on AppleTV.

Even Dish's Android TV based AirTV Player can not use this device to receive OTA broadcasts. It must use the single tuner Adapter.

Basically, no. I doubt that would work.
post #14 of 166 Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I for the life of me cannot figure out how to record with the included remote with this thing! Anyone tell me how?
post #15 of 166 Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think recording is available yet, for either the AirTV "black box" or the AirTV Player ("white box.") Still "coming soon," last I heard.

Anxiously awaiting news that the situation has changed, though!
post #16 of 166 Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I don't think recording is available yet, for either the AirTV "black box" or the AirTV Player ("white box.") Still "coming soon," last I heard.

Anxiously awaiting news that the situation has changed, though!
The AirTV player has the update to Android 7 and OTA recording to adopted storage on USB. Right now it's a free beta program. It uses the SlingTV interface integration with OTA guide.

The AirTV network tuner does not have DVR ability yet, but is supposed to be coming soon.
So why can't the AirTV network tuner use WiFi to the router? I would have to set it close to the antenna wire, the router, and a power outlet.
The new Tablo lite network tuner/DVR is the only network tuner to use WiFi to the router, but it doesn't support 5.1 surround sound.

Where is the OTA tuner device that has: Wifi, 5.1 surround sound, free OTA guide and DVR functions, and real time shifting for pause, rewind, and fast forward while watching?
Bonus features would be: more than one tuner, viewable over LAN / Wifi, viewable over WAN / internet, and copying to other media.
post #17 of 166 Old 04-07-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
So why can't the AirTV network tuner use WiFi to the router? I would have to set it close to the antenna wire, the router, and a power outlet.
The new Tablo lite network tuner/DVR is the only network tuner to use WiFi to the router, but it doesn't support 5.1 surround sound.
I may have misunderstood. I know the AirTV network tuner can retransmit OTA signals via WiFi. Can a WiFi router with bridge capability not receive those transmissions and put them on your local network?

I've heard that Clearstream TV also uses WiFi to the router - in fact I think that's the only option since I don't think it has an Ethernet jack. IDK for sure if it supports DD 5.1, but my guess is that it does.
Quote:
Where is the OTA tuner device that has: Wifi, 5.1 surround sound, free OTA guide and DVR functions, and real time shifting for pause, rewind, and fast forward while watching?
Bonus features would be: more than one tuner, viewable over LAN / Wifi, viewable over WAN / internet, and copying to other media.
Clearstream TV has no DVR functionality though. CM's discontinued DVR+ is probably the closest, but the WiFi is for streaming from the router, not to it. As a streamer it's pretty weak too. But it does have DD 5.1, a free OTA guide, DVR functions including time-shifting (with not only pause, rewind, FF but also skip forward/back), two tuners, and copying to other media (with a little help from a free program called DVR+ Lister).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-07-2018 at 06:43 PM.
post #18 of 166 Old 04-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I may have misunderstood. I know the AirTV network tuner can retransmit OTA signals via WiFi. Can a WiFi router with bridge capability not receive those transmissions and put them on your local network?

I've heard that Clearstream TV also uses WiFi to the router - in fact I think that's the only option since I don't think it has an Ethernet jack. IDK for sure if it supports DD 5.1, but my guess is that it does.Clearstream TV has no DVR functionality though. CM's discontinued DVR+ is probably the closest, but the WiFi is for streaming from the router, not to it. As a streamer it's pretty weak too. But it does have DD 5.1, a free OTA guide, DVR functions including time-shifting (with not only pause, rewind, FF but also skip forward/back), two tuners, and copying to other media (with a little help from a free program called DVR+ Lister).
I think the AirTV network tuner works like the HDHomerun. They have an Ethernet jack/cable from/to the router and the router's wifi transmits the decoded TV content back to other devices.
I don't like to string Ethernet cables all over my house. The new Tablo lite only uses Wifi, but doesn't support 5.1 sound.
post #19 of 166 Old 04-09-2018, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I think the AirTV network tuner works like the HDHomerun. They have an Ethernet jack/cable from/to the router and the router's wifi transmits the decoded TV content back to other devices.
I don't like to string Ethernet cables all over my house. The new Tablo lite only uses Wifi, but doesn't support 5.1 sound.
The AirTV (Black Box) has both dual channel WiFi, and Ethernet connections to your home network. There is a stand alone AirTV app for every platform except possibly Tizen Samsung TV. The Fire TV and Android TV platforms as well as IOS, additionally support integration of these OTA channels into the SlingTV guide. Roku, Apple TV and a few other set top box devices have not yet supported the Sling TV integration. Integration for Roku was reported by Dish as 100% finished early March, just awaiting the OK from Roku, ( a reprise of ChannelMaster waiting for Android approval for Stream+ on Feb 28 ?).

A new AirTV Player with built in dual tuners is expected 4th quarter 2018, or early 2019. The color has changed from white with blue accents, to black with blue accents, still manufactured by Technicolor. Initially this was thought to be the Now Box for DTVN subscribers, but the Technicolor Now Box is using their latest Pearl design.

The Beta USB OTA DVR on the AirTV Player is expected to become a paid service when Beta testing is concluded.

The AirTV (black box) is expected to have a BETA OTA DVR as the AirTV Player Beta concludes as well. This DVR feature is expected to be supported on all platforms through the stand alone AirTV apps.

AirTV is hoping to clear out AirTV Player/Tuner Adapters before ending Beta program and introducing fee based service.
post #20 of 166 Old 04-09-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the AirTV network tuner works like the HDHomerun. They have an Ethernet jack/cable from/to the router and the router's WiFi transmits the decoded TV content back to other devices.

I don't like to string Ethernet cables all over my house. The new Tablo lite only uses WiFi, but doesn't support 5.1 sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
The AirTV (Black Box) has both dual channel WiFi, and Ethernet connections to your home network.
Tfid, I think Valyard is right. The AirTV network tuner (black box) does have an Ethernet jack, but it also has WiFi built-in. You don't have to use the Ethernet jack; it's just there if you prefer wired to wireless.

BTW, if you wanted to use an HDHR but were put off by its lack of WiFi, you could always consider power-line adapters. After all, you have to plug it into the wall anyway.
Quote:
A new AirTV Player with built in dual tuners is expected 4th quarter 2018, or early 2019.
That sounds like the Stream+. Going that route makes sense now that OTA DVR capability is being added.
Quote:
The Beta USB OTA DVR on the AirTV Player is expected to become a paid service when Beta testing is concluded.
That's very disappointing to hear. Sling TV has a cloud DVR, and it makes sense that a cloud-based service costs extra, but why would anyone pay extra for the ability to record local broadcasts on their own equipment? Oh, wait - that's what TiVo does! I guess they figure if TiVo can get away with it....
Quote:
The AirTV (black box) is expected to have a BETA OTA DVR as the AirTV Player Beta concludes as well. This DVR feature is expected to be supported on all platforms through the stand alone AirTV apps.
Still holding out some hope that the black box, at least, won't require a subscription just to enable a local DVR, but it looks dim at this point.
Quote:
AirTV is hoping to clear out AirTV Player/Tuner Adapters before ending Beta program and introducing fee based service.
Makes sense to get rid of those before rolling out the ones with two built-in tuners!
post #21 of 166 Old 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Tfid, I think Valyard is right. The AirTV network tuner (black box) does have an Ethernet jack, but it also has WiFi built-in. You don't have to use the Ethernet jack; it's just there if you prefer wired to wireless.

BTW, if you wanted to use an HDHR but were put off by its lack of WiFi, you could always consider power-line adapters. After all, you have to plug it into the wall anyway.That sounds like the Stream+. Going that route makes sense now that OTA DVR capability is being added.
That's very disappointing to hear. Sling TV has a cloud DVR, and it makes sense that a cloud-based service costs extra, but why would anyone pay extra for the ability to record local broadcasts on their own equipment? Oh, wait - that's what TiVo does! I guess they figure if TiVo can get away with it....Still holding out some hope that the black box, at least, won't require a subscription just to enable a local DVR, but it looks dim at this point.Makes sense to get rid of those before rolling out the ones with two built-in tuners!
The money In the OTT business, (SlingTV, HULU LIVE, PS Vue), is most definitely in the monthly subscriptions. They literally give devices away, if you prepay for 1-3 months of service. DirectTV Now's market research showed customers are unlikely to change service once comfortable with it, giving away $180 Apple TV 4K for prepaying 4 months, (as low as $130). Then, actual real figures were more impressive, and they lowered the prepay to only 3 months. Customer retention is high, and the profits are similar or better than Direct TV satellite service, without the need of installation and service costs.

AirTV isn't likely to charge fees for the (black box) eventual OTA DVR functions. It's part in their marketing strategy is to drive SlingTV subscriptions. Currently that's tough as its SlingTV integration is supported on few set top boxes. The ATV Player is designed around SlingTV and it has near 100% conversion to ongoing paid subscriptions. The Now Box is designed around DTVN service and will most likely have the same subscription rates.

It seems they are confused about the marketing of the (black box). The naming of the 2 devices even confuses their Sales Staff, and customer service staff.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #22 of 166 Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The money In the OTT business, (SlingTV, HULU LIVE, PS Vue), is most definitely in the monthly subscriptions. They literally give devices away, if you prepay for 1-3 months of service. DirectTV Now's market research showed customers are unlikely to change service once comfortable with it, giving away $180 Apple TV 4K for prepaying 4 months, (as low as $130). Then, actual real figures were more impressive, and they lowered the prepay to only 3 months. Customer retention is high, and the profits are similar or better than Direct TV satellite service, without the need of installation and service costs.

AirTV isn't likely to charge fees for the (black box) eventual OTA DVR functions. It's part in their marketing strategy is to drive SlingTV subscriptions. Currently that's tough as its SlingTV integration is supported on few set top boxes. The ATV Player is designed around SlingTV and it has near 100% conversion to ongoing paid subscriptions. The Now Box is designed around DTVN service and will most likely have the same subscription rates.

It seems they are confused about the marketing of the (black box). The naming of the 2 devices even confuses their Sales Staff, and customer service staff.
I got my AirTV Player for $50 with 3 mo. of Sling subscription. I don't remember if I paid extra for the tuner. I really like the Sling / OTA guide integration and the remote, but it has no 5.1 sound and no re-transmission to other devices of the OTA signal decode. The HDHomerun is the best at everything, except the required Ethernet cable. (And the fact that my HDHR's Ethernet port failed.)
I like the idea of the tuner and the Android TV box being separate if it can work with other devices. USB tuner support is spotty and proprietary. The AirTV USB tuner isn't recognized by the Nvidia Shield TV, but the AirTV's processor is too slow to play even 1080 BD rips from a USB SSD connected to a router's USB port. Also, it won't work with the Live Channels app. A network tuner seems like a more universal solution. If the AirTV network tuner supports 5.1 audio pass-through, has SlingTV interface integration on the ShieldTV, and has free DVR (after beta, and time shifting would be nice), then this is the device I've been looking for. If it does all of this, I'll be in cable cord cutter heaven, and a SlingTV subscriber for a long time.
post #23 of 166 Old 04-11-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wait - you have the AirTV Player?

We've been talking about the "AirTV" (aka the black box), not the AirTV Player (white box). The Player is a totally different product. And you're right; it doesn't stream to other devices over WiFi. But the black box does.

Unfortunately, AirTV has chosen the most confusing names imaginable for their two totally different products. There is a thread for the Player here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...es-2017-a.html but there isn't much info there, and with such similar names, both boxes tend to show up in both threads.

BTW, I'm surprised to learn the Player doesn't support DD 5.1. I wonder if that's a bug that might be fixed someday? The Stream+ has the same problem, and it's definitely a bug with the Stream+.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-11-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #24 of 166 Old 04-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I got my AirTV Player for $50 with 3 mo. of Sling subscription. I don't remember if I paid extra for the tuner. I really like the Sling / OTA guide integration and the remote, but it has no 5.1 sound and no re-transmission to other devices of the OTA signal decode. The HDHomerun is the best at everything, except the required Ethernet cable. (And the fact that my HDHR's Ethernet port failed.)
I like the idea of the tuner and the Android TV box being separate if it can work with other devices. USB tuner support is spotty and proprietary. The AirTV USB tuner isn't recognized by the Nvidia Shield TV, but the AirTV's processor is too slow to play even 1080 BD rips from a USB SSD connected to a router's USB port. Also, it won't work with the Live Channels app. A network tuner seems like a more universal solution. If the AirTV network tuner supports 5.1 audio pass-through, has SlingTV interface integration on the ShieldTV, and has free DVR (after beta, and time shifting would be nice), then this is the device I've been looking for. If it does all of this, I'll be in cable cord cutter heaven, and a SlingTV subscriber for a long time.
The tuner adapter is just a Hauppauge single tuner, But, it's Optimised so that it is auto-recognized by the AirTV Player, and all settings are auto, it isn't going to work anywhere but the AirTV Player. Live Channels isn't likely to work in the DTVN Now Box either. But Netflix 4K is supported, on both of those. The Stream+ you can't even load an official Netflix app at all.

I don't own either AirTV device, but I take marketing and business night courses and all my research and project papers are on subjects I'm truly interested in. These Technicolor devices for cable companies and OTT subscription providers have nearly 100% conversion. I can't find anything that says the "network player" supports 5.1, but AirTV is extremely Sloppy on details. If I can confirm either way, I'll post it here.

I do know, the only Tablo device that supports 5.1 is the Non- Network device for Nvidia Shield. Their support forum is full of replies that their Engineers are not going to spend the resources to support 5.1 on the Network tuners, "at this time". They say their hardware is capable, when and if, they ever decide there is enough demand to fund the project.
post #25 of 166 Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Wait - you have the AirTV Player?

We've been talking about the "AirTV" (aka the black box), not the AirTV Player (white box). The Player is a totally different product. And you're right; it doesn't stream to other devices over WiFi. But the black box does.

Unfortunately, AirTV has chosen the most confusing names imaginable for their two totally different products. There is a thread for the Player here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...es-2017-a.html but there isn't much info there, and with such similar names, both boxes tend to show up in both threads.

BTW, I'm surprised to learn the Player doesn't support DD 5.1. I wonder if that's a bug that might be fixed someday? The Stream+ has the same problem, and it's definitely a bug with the Stream+.
I want to talk about the AirTV black box (network tuner), but the best way to discover the abilities of a new device is to compare it with similar devices. I won't buy this one until I know exactly what it does and doesn't do after all the confusion I've had over the DVR/Tuner devices I do own. I refuse to post on a thread that has CES in the name due to the marketing and lies that come out of that ridiculous tech 'conference'. All I want to know is: Does the AirTV network tuner (black box) - allow usage without any Ethernet cables, pass 5.1 audio to sound system, have no monthly fees, time shift while watching a 'live' channel? I haven't found any network or USB tuners that do all these things at the same time. BTW they are not totally different products because they both receive OTA TV signals, decode them, integrate the guide / interface into the Sling TV app, and allow DVRing on an Android TV device. Also, yes the AirTV player w/ USB OTA TV tuner has optical audio and HDMI output with 5.1 sound, but not for the SlingTV app or OTA TV signals, and it's a feature, not a bug. Channel Master says the Stream+ has a 'bug' that can be 'fixed' but I'll believe it when I see it.
post #26 of 166 Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My answers are in line:
Quote:
All I want to know is: Does the AirTV network tuner (black box)

• Allow usage without any Ethernet cables? As I understand it, yes.
  • Pass 5.1 audio to sound system? I don't know. It passes OTA signals onto your network. Presumably the DD 5.1 audio is there, but the streaming device on the receiving end would have to be capable of passing DD 5.1, and the app you use (either the AirTV app or the Sling app) would also have to be programmed to pass the DD 5.1 through.
  • Have no monthly fees? As I understand it, there is no fee unless you subscribe to Sling TV, and a Sling TV subscription isn't required if you only want it for OTA use.
  • Time shift while watching a 'live' channel? At present, no. I fervently hope this answer changes soon - it's the main reason I haven't bought one yet either!
post #27 of 166 Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am using AirTV ( black box) for a few days.

* We can use it without Ethernet cable. I am using on WiFi and don’t have a problem streaming 2 different channels on 2 different devices all on WiFi.

* No 5.1 sound as of now.

* No subscription is needed. You get 7 days of grid guide.

* No time shifting or DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JHBrandt and Valyard like this.
post #28 of 166 Old 04-13-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like that you get a 7-day guide without a subscription. The guides broadcast with the OTA signals are usually only 1-3 days, so that's a nice bonus.
post #29 of 166 Old 04-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I want to talk about the AirTV black box (network tuner), but the best way to discover the abilities of a new device is to compare it with similar devices. I won't buy this one until I know exactly what it does and doesn't do after all the confusion I've had over the DVR/Tuner devices I do own. I refuse to post on a thread that has CES in the name due to the marketing and lies that come out of that ridiculous tech 'conference'. All I want to know is: Does the AirTV network tuner (black box) - allow usage without any Ethernet cables, pass 5.1 audio to sound system, have no monthly fees, time shift while watching a 'live' channel? I haven't found any network or USB tuners that do all these things at the same time. BTW they are not totally different products because they both receive OTA TV signals, decode them, integrate the guide / interface into the Sling TV app, and allow DVRing on an Android TV device. Also, yes the AirTV player w/ USB OTA TV tuner has optical audio and HDMI output with 5.1 sound, but not for the SlingTV app or OTA TV signals, and it's a feature, not a bug. Channel Master says the Stream+ has a 'bug' that can be 'fixed' but I'll believe it when I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshakavuri View Post
I am using AirTV ( black box) for a few days.

* We can use it without Ethernet cable. I am using on WiFi and don’t have a problem streaming 2 different channels on 2 different devices all on WiFi.

* No 5.1 sound as of now.

* No subscription is needed. You get 7 days of grid guide.

* No time shifting or DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum, ( I notice this is your first post), I hope to see more opinions/experiences with the (black box).
There are definitely members very interested in seeing the features promised get implemented.

What device or devices are you using with the black box?

I'm attaching the latest from AirTV on SlingTV Integration. It seems Seth V, or SV from AirTVHelps is the Top Customer Service rep. and is expecting the Roku app at any time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	50
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	2390024  

Last edited by Valyard; 04-13-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #30 of 166 Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Welcome to the forum, ( I notice this is your first post), I hope to see more opinions/experiences with the (black box).

There are definitely members very interested in seeing the features promised get implemented.

What device or devices are you using with the black box?

I'm attaching the latest from AirTV on SlingTV Integration. It seems Seth V, or SV from AirTVHelps is the Top Customer Service rep. and is expecting the Roku app at any time.

I am using the blackbox with Shield tv and Ipad. I have it integrated with Sling tv app.

I am waiting for the Roku and Xbox apps to get the Sling tv integration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
9-701 error , airtv , Ota , slingtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page