Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2018, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to AVS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tivo.com Out of Service

I returned to Tivo this week, using a Spectrum cable card, after a 10 year diversion to Directv. It felt good to return to an old friend that I used for nearly 5 years before leaving for 10 years. After connecting my Bolt Vox and 8 Minis, I started using the Tivo app on my Iphone and Tivo.com for programming and watching. That was, until Wednesday morning. When I tried to log into my tivo.com account, I got a message that they changed servers and I needed to chose a new password. No biggie. Or so I thought. I followed the instructions, which stated I would be emailed a temporary password and then could chose my own new password. But no email came. I tried again. I tried the next day. Same result. I then called Tivo and they said it is a known issue and should be fixed soon. That was Wednesday morning. I called again today and they said they have no idea when this will be fixed.

So Tivo app on Iphone, Ipad and Tivo online are out the window. Is this the Tivo I spent $2500 (including service) to return to after 10 years? Is this something I should expect going forward with Tivo? The system works great, but now I am worried if they have technical problems with the Tivo service, how fast will they be fixing that? Did I made a mistake by switching to Tivo? I am still in the 30 day return period and I have not yet canceled Directv, although I was planning to do so today.

Thoughts?

System 1: Denon AVR6400H, Sony XBR75Z9D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Tivo Mini Vox, Sony UBPX800, KEF R300, NHT; System 2: Denon AVR2300H, Sony XBR65Z9D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Tivo Bolt Vox 3GB, Sony UBPX800, Yamaha NS-IW470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I successfully changed my Tivo password last night, the email took about 5 minutes to arrive. Are you checking your spam folder to see if the password change email is ending up there?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2018, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to AVS

Yes, I did check the Junk email folder. Nothing there as well. I waited until I had tried it 3 times before calling Tivo. They clearly stated this is a known issue that affects most of their customers. They said it again during the second call today, but today they said they have no idea how long it would take the engineers to fix it. When I commented that maybe I should cancel my service and return the equipment they asked if I wanted to be transferred to Customer Service to start that process. No effort to ask me to wait or assurance this was not a usual event. That is what concerned me.

I am envious that it worked so well for you. I am going to create a new thread related to why I am so anxious to be able to use tivo.com and it has to do with the fact I have to enter Netflix, Hulu, etc. credential on each device, rather than being able to do it once online.

System 1: Denon AVR6400H, Sony XBR75Z9D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Tivo Mini Vox, Sony UBPX800, KEF R300, NHT; System 2: Denon AVR2300H, Sony XBR65Z9D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Tivo Bolt Vox 3GB, Sony UBPX800, Yamaha NS-IW470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgans View Post
Yes, I did check the Junk email folder. Nothing there as well. I waited until I had tried it 3 times before calling Tivo. They clearly stated this is a known issue that affects most of their customers. They said it again during the second call today, but today they said they have no idea how long it would take the engineers to fix it. When I commented that maybe I should cancel my service and return the equipment they asked if I wanted to be transferred to Customer Service to start that process. No effort to ask me to wait or assurance this was not a usual event. That is what concerned me.

I am envious that it worked so well for you. I am going to create a new thread related to why I am so anxious to be able to use tivo.com and it has to do with the fact I have to enter Netflix, Hulu, etc. credential on each device, rather than being able to do it once online.
I have this issue of not receiving return emails if I use my SPECTRUM email address with MANY services. When I used my Gmail email address, it works right away...

I suggest you try a NON Spectrum email address, and I bet you'll receive the email fairly quickly...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I have this issue of not receiving return emails if I use my SPECTRUM email address with MANY services. When I used my Gmail email address, it works right away...

I suggest you try a NON Spectrum email address, and I bet you'll receive the email fairly quickly...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a Spectrum email address. I have multiple email addresses, one is gmail and the rest of domains my company uses with Office 365 as the email provider. The one I use with Tivo is one I have used with them since approximately 2003 (I had Tivo for 4 years before leaving it in 2007 and then returning to it last week). I have received 10 emails from Tivo from 1/22/18 to date and if I look back before then, I have more than 100 of them. All to this same address. So it appears Tivo emails do come through when they send them. As of the time I write this, I still have no access to tivo.com and have not heard from them with updates on getting it to work, other than the phone conversations I have had, in which they tell me this is a known problem affecting most of their customers.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Companies have been criticized so much for "retention efforts" that you will encounter this more and more. I work in an unrelated industry and we assist people in cancelling their accounts politely and never try to retain them. The reason is our research has shown that by the time someone threatens to cancel you have already lost them, and with a friendly cancellation process you at least retain the good will to perhaps have them return in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Companies have been criticized so much for "retention efforts" that you will encounter this more and more. I work in an unrelated industry and we assist people in cancelling their accounts politely and never try to retain them. The reason is our research has shown that by the time someone threatens to cancel you have already lost them, and with a friendly cancellation process you at least retain the good will to perhaps have them return in the future.
Interesting comments you make in light of the fact that when I switched to Tivo last week, I also switched to Charter Spectrum and left Directv. When I called Directv to cancel, I got the exact treatment you described. The Directv rep started to try to "save" my account when I told her I had already had Spectrum installed. Then, during an approximately 10 minute conversation, she was talking to someone else in the background and laughing. When I listed the reasons I was leaving, in response to her question about that, one of the reasons I told her was I was tired of losing the signal when it rained, snowed or was very cloudy (this was not my main reason for leaving). Despite the fact we had already established I was canceling, she asked if I wanted a technician. I thought she meant for a technician to come and get the equipment and when I said that, she responded that he would fix the problem. I had to remind her we established I had already decided to cancel, had Spectrum installed and there was no reason to fix the Directv. She was clearly not paying attention as she laughed and carried on with a friend in the background. When I mentioned that another reason for leaving was poor customer service, she asked if I would stay on the line to talk to the VIP department about that. I agreed to do so. But about 10 minutes into the call, before she had concluded the conversation, she said she would be right back on the line and then all of a sudden I heard a ringing sound and I got an auto attendant asking me to enter the extension of my party. This kept repeating and I finally hung up. I then went to a chat session to confirm that my account had indeed been cancelled. The chat rep confirmed the account was canceled, which was a relief, since I did not want to go through that again.

Directv may be the poster child for how NOT to handle a customer cancellation.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting comments you make in light of the fact that when I switched to Tivo last week, I also switched to Charter Spectrum and left Directv. When I called Directv to cancel, I got the exact treatment you described. The Directv rep started to try to "save" my account when I told her I had already had Spectrum installed. Then, during an approximately 10 minute conversation, she was talking to someone else in the background and laughing. When I listed the reasons I was leaving, in response to her question about that, one of the reasons I told her was I was tired of losing the signal when it rained, snowed or was very cloudy (this was not my main reason for leaving). Despite the fact we had already established I was canceling, she asked if I wanted a technician. I thought she meant for a technician to come and get the equipment and when I said that, she responded that he would fix the problem. I had to remind her we established I had already decided to cancel, had Spectrum installed and there was no reason to fix the Directv. She was clearly not paying attention as she laughed and carried on with a friend in the background. When I mentioned that another reason for leaving was poor customer service, she asked if I would stay on the line to talk to the VIP department about that. I agreed to do so. But about 10 minutes into the call, before she had concluded the conversation, she said she would be right back on the line and then all of a sudden I heard a ringing sound and I got an auto attendant asking me to enter the extension of my party. This kept repeating and I finally hung up. I then went to a chat session to confirm that my account had indeed been cancelled. The chat rep confirmed the account was canceled, which was a relief, since I did not want to go through that again.

Directv may be the poster child for how NOT to handle a customer cancellation.
I did the exact same thing you did... been a DirecTV subscriber for a number of years, got tired of the issues with outages (dish is perfectly aligned) and the increase in cost, so I switched back to Tivo (Bolt VOX and Minis) and Spectrum. Fortunately, I haven't had the problems you've had with tivo.com. And to avoid all the chit chat with retention and such, I simply told them I was moving to a location that did not have line of sight to the satellites. They were very polite, I didn't get transferred, I didn't get badgered, there was no argument and it took 5 minutes to complete the transaction. Why in the world they can't be like this when you cancel for whatever reason, I don't know. By the time people call to cancel, they've already made up their minds. I hate going through the motions with retention - they should call it detention. (I had DirecTV a long time ago and cancelled, got the transfer to retention, and the long winded reasons and offers to make me stay so I had a plan for this time... )

-Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page