Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 697Likes

post #421 of 2134 Old 03-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 299
CM is curious. I just got an email from them asking me to review my Stream+.

Thanks for Purchasing from Channel Master!

Dear Jim,

It's been 3 months since you have ordered your www.channelmaster.com products, and we would like to invite you to post online reviews of the products you purchased.

Offer your opinions and experiences to others who might want some help making the best decision to meet their needs. At www.channelmaster.com, our #1 goal is your complete satisfaction. If you have feedback or issues with the service you received from us, please click here to email us directly or call us at 877-746-7261.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,
Channel Master
www.channelmaster.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2134 Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1219 View Post
Well, after reading most of this entire thread I'm glad I didn't order this thing, as I'm looking for DVR features, not streaming features. My question is why did CM discontinue the DVR+? It has positive reviews and filled a market need . So they replace it with a half baked streaming box that cant compete with a much less expensive Roku with poor recording abilities. WHY???
The TiVo is a better DVR with a recognizable name. When they dropped their price to $199/$299 including storage, CM walked away.
post #423 of 2134 Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The TiVo is a better DVR with a recognizable name. When they dropped their price to $199/$299 including storage, CM walked away.
Not a Chance - Tivo will hold its high price while other mfg (or sellers like CM) will push out model like DVR+, DTVpal, iView, etc
It's calling "market segmentation".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Not a Chance - Tivo will hold its high price while other mfg (or sellers like CM) will push out model like DVR+, DTVpal, iView, etc
It's calling "market segmentation".
Not a chance? I paid $299.99 for three Roamio/OTAs and $199.99 for two more. The Roamio/OTA first sold for $299.99 in May of 2015. It sold for $299.99 again in August of 2015. In November of 2016 and November of 2017 the Roamio/OTA sold for $199.99. All of these included 500g of storage and Lifetime service. These DVRs included streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Plex, HBO Go, Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, and MLB.TV. CM sold a DVR+ with Vudu and YouTube and no storage for $250 at the time. I doubt CM had a 'segment' of that market.
post #425 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We are weeding out of topic ...

The S+ device is still attractive to some of our members, but its number lowering each day
post #426 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Update to Bluetooth OUTPUT issue. After suggestions on another forum, I have managed to pair a Bose Soundlink as output and works fine.

I had to go to each of the devices the Bose was paired with, and Unpair. Then, it was discovered by Stream+, paired, and works as expected.
post #427 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
Update to Bluetooth OUTPUT issue. After suggestions on another forum, I have managed to pair a Bose Soundlink as output and works fine.

I had to go to each of the devices the Bose was paired with, and Unpair. Then, it was discovered by Stream+, paired, and works as expected.
You didn't mention about a quality of the sound ... does it come as DD5.1 ?
post #428 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
You didn't mention about a quality of the sound ... does it come as DD5.1 ?
The Bose Soundlink has a single 3" speaker.
post #429 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
CM is curious. I just got an email from them asking me to review my Stream+.

Thanks for Purchasing from Channel Master!

Dear Jim,

It's been 3 months since you have ordered your www.channelmaster.com products, and we would like to invite you to post online reviews of the products you purchased.

Offer your opinions and experiences to others who might want some help making the best decision to meet their needs. At www.channelmaster.com, our #1 goal is your complete satisfaction. If you have feedback or issues with the service you received from us, please click here to email us directly or call us at 877-746-7261.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,
Channel Master
www.channelmaster.com
Channel Master is full of fake reviews they only post the ones they want
post #430 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl2902000 View Post
Yes, it is. I posted a 2/5 review 5 days ago - it was never listed.

New forum user and I joined to offer my feedback. So far I'm on the fence. I'm excited by the possbilities but doubtful from the realities. My issues so far:

* I have yet to have a successful recording. With a 32gb card, I'm told that I don't have enough storage space when trying to record a 30 min show.
* If in sleep mode, unit rarely comes out of standy - I have to pull the plug to reset.
* If I don't use sleep mode, the next day the unit has lost wifi, is sluggish, and the remote is slow to react. Reboot to fix.
* Annoying "hardcoded" favorites on main page.
* Unit sometime "loses" apps when switching SD cards (formatted for OTA recordind). It's as if the app was stored on the removed card.
* No backlight on remote.
* Limited streaming apps.

Overall a C-, but hopefuuly room for improvement. I performed a hard reset tonight and will see if any of my isssues go away.

Thanks.
post #431 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The link doesn't take you to the Review page either. I imagine they really don't want you to go there.
post #432 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed some of the channel master reviews are now actually mentioning some of the problems, but it seems like they're still giving it 4-5 stars which gets their review posted? I'd give it a 2 for streaming, another 2 for the DVR functions,
and a 2 for Channel Master's indifferent software support (that's not a 6 is it?). I wrote a review that I was going to post on their web site, but maybe that's a waste of time?

By the way, I discovered another Live Channels bug:

When watching a recording, I hit home and it briefly flashed the message: "video is unexpectedly unavailable" before displaying the home screen. When I selected Live Channels, it went to a black screen with the spinning circle and never exited. If I leave it there long enough, it just drops the circle and fades to black. Hitting "Guide" gets me out of it.
Bug has been reported to Google, I'm sure a fix is just around the corner

Have received the SSD I bought from newegg. Seems to work for short (1 hr) recordings.
Haven't tried anything longer yet.

John
post #433 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
The link doesn't take you to the Review page either. I imagine they really don't want you to go there.
I left out the link to actually place a review, as I thought some of the numbers coded into it might specifically identify any use of it to me directly. Didn't want everybody using it and CM thinking it was all from me.

I did enter my review this morning, I'll check back now and then on their site to see if it ever appears.

post #434 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Yes, it is. I posted a 2/5 review 5 days ago - it was never listed.

New forum user and I joined to offer my feedback. So far I'm on the fence. I'm excited by the possbilities but doubtful from the realities. My issues so far:

* I have yet to have a successful recording. With a 32gb card, I'm told that I don't have enough storage space when trying to record a 30 min show.
* If in sleep mode, unit rarely comes out of standy - I have to pull the plug to reset.
* If I don't use sleep mode, the next day the unit has lost wifi, is sluggish, and the remote is slow to react. Reboot to fix.
* Annoying "hardcoded" favorites on main page.
* Unit sometime "loses" apps when switching SD cards (formatted for OTA recordind). It's as if the app was stored on the removed card.
* No backlight on remote.
* Limited streaming apps.

Overall a C-, but hopefuuly room for improvement. I performed a hard reset tonight and will see if any of my isssues go away.

Thanks.
This is why I don't recommend anybody buy this product at this time in its current state it works terribly.
Maybe in the future they will be improvements but that's up to Google and Google isn't making any money off this.
post #435 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Link to "customer" reviews of the Channel Master Stream+:

https://www.channelmaster.com/ReviewsList.asp?ProductCode=CM-7600&Reviews=Y

For what it's worth, link to submit a review of the Channel Master Stream+:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Review...ctCode=CM-7600
post #436 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_adams View Post

https://www.channelmaster.com/ReviewsList.asp?ProductCode=CM-7600&Reviews=Y

For what it's worth, link to submit a review of the Channel Master Stream+:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Review...ctCode=CM-7600
If your review is negative they won't post it. Channel Master fake reviews.com
post #437 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 AM

Check out the review video from Lon TV on these 2 Android TV devices. These are from the company Video Strong that I posted about earlier in this thread. These are officially certified Android TV, and, are authorized by Netflix, and the less expensive one, $47 is kinda slow, and may not even support Netflix 4K, but, hey, they new the ins and outs of getting that Netflix authorization, and come with it pre-installed.

Basically a crappy low end Android TV device, but, with Netflix.

Channel Master just make the investment in your own product, and get it done.

[url]https://youtu.be/lMeIqU_gbWQ[/url

Last edited by Valyard; 03-24-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #438 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
If your review is negative they won't post it. Channel Master fake reviews.com
The large failing of their 'review' system is that it does not require registration or verification of ownership. Therefore, it opens them to comment spam. Posting a review like; "This is the suxors!!eleventy!!", will certainly result in a post not being displayed. However, it is possible to criticize the products failings while pointing out the the things that it does well, i.e.:

Quote:
Stream+ Pretty Good So far
Reviewer: Terry from South Carolina
I had a CM DVR+. I had ordered it and hooked it up a few days before the Stream+ was announced. CM agreed to a return and I bought a Stream+.

My A/V system has a 35 foot run from the audio closet to the TV. Seems you must have a good HDMI 2.0 cable to make it work. Finally, after 3 days of Tier II service calls, rewiring, etc. the device is working.

Pros: The Guide is beautiful, the Bluetooth connectivity, once it pairs with the remote (took many tries), is perfect and the logic of functionality, menus, etc. is well thought out.

Cons: The DVR+ has supported USB external Drive support (I had a 2TB drive connected). Stream+ has a USB port and a few folks are using it for an external drive but CM does not yet support it (????).

The streaming options are limited. Netflix and especially Amazon is a must in our house if/when it's supported. We are Prime customers, so this is our primary streaming service and it's the difference between 4 and 5 stars.
post #439 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

[URL="https://www.channelmaster.com/ReviewsList.asp?ProductCode=CM-7600&Reviews=Y"]https://www.channelmaster.com/ReviewsList.asp?ProductCode=CM-7600&Reviews=Y
Only one 3* review...all the others are 4* & 5*...seems a little incredulous to me.
post #440 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 01:46 PM

I see that Technicolor offered several options for the remote that comes with Stream+. See attached.

At least ours includes number entry, as well as the DVR key. Watching videos of the various Skipper units, few use Live Channels, instead using a custom app as they are mostly for Cable operators. Maybe, possibly, hopefully there is a chance of a custom Channel Master app to go in the place holder on the launch screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2379836  
post #441 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Only one 3* review...all the others are 4* & 5*...seems a little incredulous to me.
It was the same for the DVR+ reviews. I would hazard a guess—that has a good chance of being correct—that the bulk of the reviews are posted by individuals that are not as knowledgable or critical as the average AVS member. There also seems to be at least one DVR+ review that may be a Russian IRA agent:

Quote:
Channelmaster DVR 16gb September 18, 2017
Reviewer: Anonymous Person from San Diego, CA
Before I cut cable, I installed antenna and hook up TV. I received pretty good channels I tested channels and got some languages like Spanish, Vietnam, Russia and some other language I do not know because of mixed pot languages in San Diego. Then I hook up channelmaster plus bought a 1TB hardrive. Great most better clear and recording is great. I have been tested for two weeks. Now I am ready to cut cable tomorrow for good. I m tired of cable control and want freedom from cable.
post #442 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
It was the same for the DVR+ reviews. I would hazard a guess—that has a good chance of being correct—that the bulk of the reviews are posted by individuals that are not as knowledgable or critical as the average AVS member. There also seems to be at least one DVR+ review that may be a Russian IRA agent:
That's fantastic.
post #443 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Muxing Stream+ files

I do not own a Stream+ and I operate a Linux based computer. I used Linux software to look at the stream.zip and stream2.zip program files uploaded by Arbegas. Poster criggs gave a method of muxing the audio and video files which took multiple, time-consuming steps and purchased software. I was able to start my software, load the files, save the *.ts based mpg file and close the software for the stream.zip recording in 1 minute 9 seconds using a single program.

What I found in the stream program was a "glitch" as previously reported at about 16 seconds which lasted about 15 seconds. The recording resumed normal operation then until the first commercial break. At that time the video and sound lost sync and the sound was delayed. Looking at the files the video file appears to be 7 minutes and 48 seconds long, while the audio file appears to be 8 minutes and 3 seconds long. One program reported multiple duplicate frames for the video file, and that may be the cause of the sync loss.

What I found in the stream2 program was a "glitch" as previously reported at about 16 seconds which lasted about 15 seconds. The audio and video were in sync for the entire file. Both the audio and video files were reported as 1 minute 15 seconds long. Audio file 1 was reported as 6 channel AC-3 and audio file 2 was reported as 1 channel AC-3. This is unusual, as second audio sources are usually the stereo (2 channel) version - that may indicate a bug in the recording software. Both files could be used as the audio source for the muxed resultant file.

All muxed files were successfully played by more recent versions of VLC, with the elapsed time and total time information correct. As expected, the higher resolution stream2 file required a faster cpu/video system to maintain a high quality viewing experience. The closed captioning data was viewable in VLC.

I suspect the *.idx2 files are indexes that are used by the Live Channel playback software to sync the audio and video together. This may neutralize the loss of sync in the stream program file. If so, then muxing software would need to know the idx2 file structure to overcome recording irregularities.

I do have one question on the stream files - is the "glitch" seen only in the extracted files or is it also present in the playback of the original files on the stream+ unit?

The program used in this trial was avidemux. It is a free video editing software program. I used version series 2.5 which is frame based. Starting with version 2.6 it was to go to time based - this is to help with damaged files. To use, simply open the video file in the program. Using the audio menu (top menu bar) select main track and external AC3 file - then browse for the audio file. Video setting is COPY and audio setting is COPY. Select MPEG-TS (A+V) as the format for the saved file. Then click the save button to create your *.ts final file.

While avidemux is a Linux based program, on the website is a Windows port of the program. I do not know how well this port will work or if additional software is needed for Windows.

Also, avidemux was originally command line driven. I do not know the commands or if it still retains that capability. But it may be possible to write a simple batch file to automatically run the muxing process.
post #444 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaye View Post
The program used in this trial was avidemux.
Avidemux is available for Windows (x86 and x64), Mac (Sierra, macos 10.12.x), and Linux.
post #445 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
just ordered this unit than i realize it cannot support keyboard or mouse !!!

unless somebody tell me mouse/keyboard are supported i will have to cancel !

SAMSUNG LNT**71 FAQ
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12484345
HDMI PC =trouble, DB15 is a shure shot !
UHF directional antenna+ air HD channel
post #446 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Quote:
It was the same for the DVR+ reviews.
There were 8 pages full of 1*, 2*, and 3* ratings for the DVR+.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Review...ch2.y=0&Page=1

post #447 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post

Save your money this product is not ready for primetime. Unless they fix it
post #448 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
There were 8 pages full of 1*, 2*, and 3* ratings for the DVR+.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Review...ch2.y=0&Page=1.
I'm sure we can all agree that there are sufficient shortcomings to Channel Master's review postings that they have little to no value to AVS members. It probably would be best if we just dropped this part of the discussion and moved on to some more 'meatier' topics regarding this device.
post #449 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post

Bluetooth keyboards work fine. Channel Master only provides customer support for the Bluetooth Channel Master Remote. It seems for anything other than their Hardware, they will refer you to Google, or for accessories, to their Customer support services.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #450 of 2134 Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
Bluetooth keyboards work fine.
Thanks Valyard ! so you have this DVR and succesfuly use keyboard ?
i have a "Smart TV" without keyboard support and told myself never ever again...

did the voice recognition work good enough so we could even spare the keyboard ?

Quote:
Save your money this product is not ready for primetime. Unless they fix it
hummm i realize we are beta tester ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
*Mine just arrived via USPS
thanks for your official post...i wish you could update your first post with all important suggestion + PRO & CON !
people will not read 20 pages to learn if its good or not...

SAMSUNG LNT**71 FAQ
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12484345
HDMI PC =trouble, DB15 is a shure shot !
UHF directional antenna+ air HD channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page