Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 713Likes

post #61 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
My two units are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They're both for my daughters.

Receiver sensitivity sounds like it's middle of the pack. One daughter will do pretty good with reception, living in a metro market. The other daughter is in a rural area and I had to do a good bit of antenna tinkering to get her OTA coming in good...if the S+ receiver isn't very sensitive it will be a non-starter for her application.

Not having Netflix or Amazon Prime available is kind of a wet blanket on things.

It is interesting, though, to hear of some success using USB hard drives and MicroSD cards of less than U3 ratings.

But, I'm wondering if I really want the hassle of trying to set up two of these boxes, knowing the deficiencies that they already have? Or if I just need to turn the box around back to Channel Master.

It is beginning to sound like CM may have gotten into too big of a rush to get this out in the market before the product was technically "completed". The 30-day return window may not be enough time for CM to help users work through the glitches, bugs, and "future" features or for the users to determine if they bought a thoroughbred or a nag.

I was excited to begin with about the possibilities of the S+, but it seems the water is turning lukewarm...
I feel the same. Got my tracking number today but with Google issues and no Amazon or Netflix it is no longer very attractive to me. The fact that most streaming apps don't do 5.1 or 4k, excluding Vudu doesn't help either. I don't want to have cord-cutters remorse as I've already invested in two attic antennas and a 256gb MicroSD card.

I think CM makes you pay for the RMA so selling on eBay might be good enough to cover that. $180 to $200 for selling there would cover shipping and maybe cover the purchase of Gen 2. Or if Amazon would make a 4k box with DVR and tuner, that would be nice too. I'm bummed reading the initial reports. Seems CM over hyped a bit. Anyway have a few days to decide. I think I knew about not buying pigs in pokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and I will put the OTA capabilities to the test. I was really hoping that the two main content suppliers in the streaming world would have native support by the time the box was delivered, especially considering the delay.

It's a real stretch to name the device STREAM+ when you can't actually stream what the vast majority of users are watching. Even the lowliest WiFi-enabled Blu-ray players have Netflix and Amazon support built in. After the streaming support no-show on the DVR+ it really makes one wonder about CM's negotiation skills with the major players.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #63 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In the system info - you can see that the box has a Netflix ESN number - so it may be a matter of testing by Netflix to get final approval for the app. I've also heard of Netflix holding manufacturers "hostage" by requiring a Netflix button on the remote in order to get the app approved. Maybe the second batch of boxes will have a remote with a Netflix button and then we will all get access to the app!

As for Amazon - who knows since the battle between those two seems to just keep getting bigger.

As a DVR - it seems to work OK but as a streaming device it is quite limited - especially without a working native browser! And if the Dolby Digital (AC3) passthrough isn't fixed...then it's not that great as an OTA DVR either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
feeling very dissapointing. yesterday i try hard drive , now i try microsd card. i cant see those recordings out of stream + , format cant get recognize by windows wth
whats the point of that.
This is a Hail Mary pass, and probably won't work at all. But did you try the two aps one uses to do that with DVR+ recordings, namely Ext2Mg4 and DVR+Lister?
post #65 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I watched live stream from executive from Video Strong last week, subtitles were a bit confusing, but, he was explaining process they went through to get Netflix 4K Auth for Android TV certified device selling in USA market.

The part I found interesting, if I understood subtitles correctly, was they had to buy licenses tied to ESN numbers for certain number of devices selling in 12 month period. And it was a significant amount of units,.... Implying that if they weren't manufactured in that period, the licenses were already paid for, and couldn't be used for devices manufactured after that window.

This was for their product Mecool M8S Pro W, according to sub titles, and was also certified for YouTube 4K.
post #66 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
ok i inquiry to channel master and they answer me back.

Thanks for your inquiry. Channel Master does not provide support for offloading recordings onto other devices.
This is what CM told me about the DVR+, and is why I didn't buy the DVR+ until I found the DVR+ thread and discovered that recordings could indeed be copied to a computer. Unfortunately (from what I understand) for the Stream+ it's currently not possible, and may never be possible without breaking some nutty law or oppressive TOS.

Edit 1:
Note: It looks like the recordings can be copied to a computer, and played, but lots of work will be needed to make it easy. See posts by others that follow, starting with one by arbegas on 3/14/2018 where recording files were viewed and made available for copying, and later were successfully copied to a computer and one short fair use recording file made available for downloading for study purposes. Followed by a post from Alainl12 where it was played on a computer, and a couple of others by arbegas who made more short fair use recording files available for study. Then more posts by criggs, especially this post on 3/15/2018. If you're interested it this, don't just review the posts I've linked, review all that pertain, beginning with the first link I've posted.
LenL and Valyard like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 03-15-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Struck out my comment and added Edit 1
post #67 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 336
As the reports of bugs keep coming in and CM support passing the buck I can see the market for a used DVR+ heating up big time!

If only another player came in the market with a DVR+ replacement and honest customer support! I can wish can't I.
post #68 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I've seen that happen on other tuners. I call it "cube mode." It's a problem at the station, but most tuners have a "stretch" mode to compensate, including the DVR+ where "stretch" was the default. There's probably an aspect ratio setting somewhere; keep looking....

What causes it is, the station pillar-boxes a 4:3 feed so it will display correctly on 16:9 screens, but then flags the subchannel as 4:3 rather than 16:9, causing the channel to be double-pillar-boxed
It turns out there is a setting to change the aspect ratio on the Stream+. When viewing the SD channel, press OK, Navigate down to TV Options>Display mode. You now have 3 choices, Normal, Full, and Zoom. It does not save the setting for that channel so you have to repeat the keystrokes every time you watch the channel...more of a pain in the rear than the one button for aspect ration on the DVR+.
post #69 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
It turns out there is a setting to change the aspect ratio on the Stream+. When viewing the SD channel, press OK, Navigate down to TV Options>Display mode. You now have 3 choices, Normal, Full, and Zoom. It does not save the setting for that channel so you have to repeat the keystrokes every time you watch the channel...more of a pain in the rear than the one button for aspect ration on the DVR+.
Sure would be nice if they put out a real user manual for their products...
post #70 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
This is a Hail Mary pass, and probably won't work at all. But did you try the two aps one uses to do that with DVR+ recordings, namely Ext2Mg4 and DVR+Lister?

those not available for stream +

but im able to use a ftp function using ''es file explorer'' but its making worst i can see some files in recording section but those are unplayable. i recorded one file that i suppose its a video file. [biggest size in the pic]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streamplus.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	2375332  
pachinko likes this.
post #71 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
I'm not aware of any other Android or Android TV device manufacturer who is utilizing Google Live Channels as a selling point, or primary app....
Good post, but just to clarify, the "core app" I was referring to was Google Play Store, which the OP couldn't get to run more than once without rebooting!

Maybe he could use one of those "side loading" downloaders....
Valyard likes this.
post #72 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit4ever View Post
The EPG only shows 2 days of data - but there is more in the system. If you set a series recording you will see 2 weeks worth of available recording times for a program. So it seems it's just a bug in the guide display.

Not sure why google hasn't addressed this as it has been this way on the Shield and other devices for almost a year. It would also be nice to implement skip forward and back with the left/right dpad while watching. Currently left/right does nothing.
Odds are they're using the same guide data server as the DVR+ with 135R, so there are 14 days of data "out there." It's just that the Live Channels app only displays 2 days

Shades of the Mstar boxes showing one day of PSIP guide data, even on stations that broadcast 2 or 3 days....

More and more it's becoming apparent that most of the original speculation was correct - this is a streaming box (without Netflix/Amazon), with a minimal OTA DVR capability added. No skip forward/back? That also sounds like Mstar, but at least Mstar boxes will let you offload recordings (Edit) without jumping through hoops! Good grief.

If CM thinks this (and the CM-7004) are all they need in their product line after discontinuing the DVR+, they've got another think coming. Oh, well; at least it has 2 tuners.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-15-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #73 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
those not available for stream +

but im able to use a ftp function using ''es file explorer'' but its making worst i can see some files in recording section but those are unplayable. i recorded one file that i suppose its a video file. [biggest size in the pic]
I suppose those ".chunk" files are the key; they're probably video given their size. If you can upload the small one to a file sharing service, maybe Pachinko can take a crack at it
post #74 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And folks pooh-poohed me for complaining about the lack of a CC button. But, no Aspect button either, and no Mute (even though I thought I saw a Mute button in one of those early pre-release photos). It's becoming more and more apparent that the "sparseness" of this remote is a big issue.

Maybe while they're adding a "Netflix" button , they can throw in those other three. Or, heck, they could just repurpose the DVR+ "enhanced" remote as they did with the CM-7004!
post #75 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Had a firmware upgrade today for the remote control. Interesting. I suppose it must have the ability to upgrade via the Bluetooth. Does anyone know?

Latest issue. Local channel WATL 36 on RF channel 25. Receiving fine on 36.1 and 36.2 but getting 'Weak Signal' error message on 36.3. Weird. 36.3 is fine on all my other TVs and DVR+. Seems strange since all three virtual channels originate from the same station/transmitter/tower. Guess I should try rescanning.

I guess I see now why the pre-release price was 1/3 off...we are all now beta testers.
pilotart likes this.
post #76 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
I feel the same. Got my tracking number today but with Google issues and no Amazon or Netflix it is no longer very attractive to me. The fact that most streaming apps don't do 5.1 or 4k, excluding Vudu doesn't help either. I don't want to have cord-cutters remorse as I've already invested in two attic antennas and a 256gb MicroSD card.
Keep your antennas (but 2?) but at this point, it looks like you'll need either a TiVo or two separate boxes. You could get a used DVR+ for the OTA side now that their prices have come down out of the stratosphere and a Roku for Netflix/Amazon....
post #77 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have been following This Thread since it began. I have the original Channel Master DVR. I ordered the stream Plus and as I understand it people have posted here that the skip forward button does not work and that there was no surround sound is this true. I ordered the stream Plus in early March and if these features do not work I will cancel my order. The skip forward button is very important for getting past commercials and the surround system well that’s also very important for me. Thanks for your help
post #78 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl2902000 View Post
Hi I have been following This Thread since it began. I have the original Channel Master DVR. I ordered the stream Plus and as I understand it people have posted here that the skip forward button does not work and that there was no surround sound is this true. I ordered the stream Plus in early March and if these features do not work I will cancel my order. The skip forward button is very important for getting past commercials and the surround system well that’s also very important for me. Thanks for your help
There's a rewind and fast-forward button which works as expected, but not a skip back/skip ahead button. At least that's what I've found in my so far very brief live TV testing.

post #79 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I suppose those ".chunk" files are the key; they're probably video given their size. If you can upload the small one to a file sharing service, maybe Pachinko can take a crack at it

i uploaded biggest one. i unistall explorer app. anyway its too much pain for what i see.

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!4EtiBCrB!qArNLo3DAV6laIbWljBcrobCRzmIbx5HnVKlhgjOm9w
post #80 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Had a firmware upgrade today for the remote control. Interesting. I suppose it must have the ability to upgrade via the Bluetooth. Does anyone know?

Latest issue. Local channel WATL 36 on RF channel 25. Receiving fine on 36.1 and 36.2 but getting 'Weak Signal' error message on 36.3. Weird. 36.3 is fine on all my other TVs and DVR+. Seems strange since all three virtual channels originate from the same station/transmitter/tower. Guess I should try rescanning.

I guess I see now why the pre-release price was 1/3 off...we are all now beta testers.
I'm seeing this "weak signal" issue, too. I live in San Francisco, and all but one station comes from Mt Sutro -- the tower is only a couple miles from my house (though I don't have direct line of sight). All these stations come in fine (roof-top antenna). The NBC station comes from Mt. San Bruno, which is a dozen or so miles south. But I can pick it up, though the signal is not as strong. All of my TVs, my DVR+, my HDHomeRun (using Live Channels on a Shield TV).... the channel comes in fine. You'd never know the signal was weak. But on the Stream+, I get the "weak signal" error. The picture then comes in about 10-20 seconds later. It is frustrating.

Now if only the Google Play Store app wouldn't constantly crash.
post #81 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
i uploaded biggest one. i unistall explorer app. anyway its too much pain for what i see.

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!4EtiBCrB!qArNLo3DAV6laIbWljBcrobCRzmIbx5HnVKlhgjOm9w
This file is an elementery stream. This is only video no audio. Just change the extension to .mpv and VLC will be able to play it. But no sound. So one of the other .chunk must be the audio.

EDIT: Spoke too fast, need to remux it in videoredo to get it to play in VLC.

EDIT2: The video is 3m35s on your NBC6 channel. Do you have reception issues? There are a lot of glitches in it.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by Alainl12; 03-14-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #82 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
im able to use a ftp function using ''es file explorer'' but its making worst i can see some files in recording section but those are unplayable. i recorded one file that i suppose its a video file. [biggest size in the pic]
Do you have one of the more powerful video players? VLC is one of the most powerful. Click and drag the large file into VLC and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, how about this for another Hail Mary pass? Try renaming the file with a popular video extension, like .ts, .flv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .webm, etc. etc. Then recontain the video in the file using an excellent free application, XMedia Recode. If the file will come into XMedia Recode, create a video file in some standard video format, say mp4, and COPY, don't CONVERT, the audio and video from the file into a brand mp4 file. You never know.

In addition, can you post that large file somewhere so some of us can download it and play with it?
post #83 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
This file is an elementery stream. This is only video no audio. Just change the extension to .mpv and VLC will be able to play it. But no sound. So one of the other .chunk must be the audio. EDIT: Spoke too fast, need to remux it in videoredo to get it to play in VLC. EDIT2: The video is 3m35s on your NBC6 channel. Do you have reception issues? There are a lot of glitches in it.
I'm seeing the same glitches. However my VLC was able to play it fine without changing the extension. It won't recontain in XMedia Recode as is, but if I change the extension to ts, XMedia Recode has no problem recontaining it as an mp4. Not that recontaining is necessary since it appears to play O.K. as is, excepting the glitches.

Some more detail about those glitches. For the most part, I'm seeing the video freeze for a tiny fraction of a second about once a second. In addition, I'm seeing breakup during dissolves (for example, from the Breaking News graphic to the studio two-shot of the anchors). The question is whether that's simply because your reception is a bit problematic, which means that you are probably seeing the same breakup yourself when you play it back on your Stream+. On the other hand, if you're not, then that could be an artifact of some half-hearted encryption on the part of the Stream+. The file runs three minutes and 38 seconds. Is that how much material you have when you play it back in the Stream+?
post #84 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post
An easy question: Today is Wednesday. If I wanted to record something that is airing on Sunday evening, do I have to wait till Friday evening to set the recording?
As of now - yes. It seems that the search function in the EPG causes a crash...so I can't tell if it's possible to search past the 2 day view limit in the EPG.
post #85 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
The EPG only shows 2 days of data - but there is more in the system. If you set a series recording you will see 2 weeks worth of available recording times for a program. So it seems it's just a bug in the guide display.
Yea, I recommend reading through the 20 or so pages of Live Channels thread over at Silicon Dust forum. You will find almost every problem in CM Known Issues listed there as the app developed, and was updated. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...2c3fa30293acdf

Most of the weak signal issues postings were actually related to QAM tuning, so that's not the same issue posters here are reporting, as these tuners are OTA only.

Several postings about Google guide only displaying 2 days of 12 day data. Google reply was intent to make Live Channels accessible to more devices,( some with with less memory). This may not sound reasonable for Stream+ with only OTA tuners, but with HDHomerun tuners that can integrate cable card tuners, some carriers have 900 channels with another 40 audio only.

At least Stream+ users won't have many of the DRM, and AC3 issues frustrating Live Channel users with those cable card tuners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	74
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	2375402  

Last edited by Valyard; 03-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #86 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM

glitches are normal, im using a small antenna. i can try with a channel with better reception.

still its painful, its not straight process , i always use pc for recordings but i bought this for avoid use it. i have one iview but its not reliable
i just extract parts of my recordings always so transfer to pc its vital for me.
im not able to see with vlc . but with other player yes but not sound.
post #87 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Do you have one of the more powerful video players? VLC is one of the most powerful. Click and drag the large file into VLC and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, how about this for another Hail Mary pass? Try renaming the file with a popular video extension, like .ts, .flv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .webm, etc. etc. Then recontain the video in the file using an excellent free application, XMedia Recode. If the file will come into XMedia Recode, create a video file in some standard video format, say mp4, and COPY, don't CONVERT, the audio and video from the file into a brand mp4 file. You never know.

In addition, can you post that large file somewhere so some of us can download it and play with it?
i guess mega its very reliable. there its other site to upload them?
post #88 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those that have received the Stream+, are you noticing any degradation in the picture quality?

My Samsung shows a better picture when going through the TV tuner compared to using the Stream+ tuner. Thinking this might be due to it feeding through the Google Live Channel app or I might just have a dud tuner in the Stream+. Some streaming channels look better than the OTA channels so I don't think it's my HDMI cable.

I'm also experiencing weak signal reception. I'm using a CM 4228HD antenna. Never had issues with the TV tuner's reception.

Last edited by 2unz; 03-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #89 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
As a DVR - it seems to work OK but as a streaming device it is quite limited
This is both very interesting, and puzzling because in evaluating the DVR+, as a DVR - it seems to work OK but as a streaming device it is quite limited.

If CM had built up the streaming ability in the DVR+ the way they said they would, there would be absolutely no need for the Stream+ at all. So whether through decision or necessity, CM discontinued one product and launched another one that is at best, marginally better. And that still remains to be seen.
post #90 of 2271 Old 03-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwinsf View Post
I'm seeing this "weak signal" issue, too.
I'm in a fringe area 65 miles from the broadcast towers in Los Angeles. Here is my TV Fool report. I have a splitter on my antenna feed leading to both TVs. I am getting the same reception on the Stream+ as I get on my DVR+ so there's no difference for me. The only thing I don't get is the out of market channel in Santa Barbara that I pick up off the back of the antenna with any other receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page