Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 689Likes

post #961 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Noticed it was on from lighted ring around bottom edge.

Turned it off and that action turned the TV on....
Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you don't want that to happen, disable HDMI CEC on the Stream+.
That's a weird way to use CEC. May even be a bug. I could see turning the TV on when you turn the S+ on, but when you turn it off?
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I guess the [Stream+] guide will show the PSIP data when you land on a channel without guide data. You have to wait a short while for the Stream+ to acquire it. But the guide doesn't save the data, so each time you go to that station in the guide you have to wait a bit. A poster in my streaming thread had an issue and I think that's what's happening. It would be great if LC or CM could save that data and make it so the Stream+'s guide would continue to work even without guide data.
Cleaned up that link a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post
Do I understand that the Stream+ acquires PSIP data?

That would make it usable in Canada as according to a previous post, Live Channels only supplies guide data for U.S. stations.
DVR+ users have long suspected the same guide data is supplied to both the S+ and DVR+ (at least since the last DVR+ firmware update). If Canada stations are excluded from the CM guide, it would affect both platforms. I'll cross-post this at the DVR+ thread and get some feedback on this. Edit: Alainl12 reports that the DVR+ Internet guide does have data for Canadian stations. Perhaps the DVR+ and S+ don't use the same server, or perhaps the S+ just ignores Canadian stations, or perhaps the Canadian stations in the guide data aren't tied to US Zip codes (which you have to use with the S+).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #963 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That's a weird way to use CEC. May even be a bug. I could see turning the TV on when you turn the S+ on, but when you turn it off?
Strangely - mine does something similar with my Sony Bravia TV. The S+ remote is setup to control the S+ and the Tv. Occasionally, when turning the S+ and Tv on from the S+ remote, the S+ comes on, but not the Tv. I press again, and now the Tv comes on and the S+ goes off - then I have to use the Tv's actual remote to get the two device's on/offs back into sync.

At first, I thought my S+ was not waking from sleep, then I figured out the TV was off when it should be on etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Interestingly enough, I reported a few guide data issues to the Live Channels developer, and they got corrected about a week later. Nice to see that they're listening.

In other news, I've found some more details about the Nvidia Shield version of Netflix. Android TV version it runs is id=com.netflix.ninja, not com.netflix.mediaclient like mobile devices run. I'm going to give that version another try a little later.
post #965 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Strangely - mine does something similar with my Sony Bravia TV. The S+ remote is setup to control the S+ and the Tv. Occasionally, when turning the S+ and Tv on from the S+ remote, the S+ comes on, but not the Tv. I press again, and now the Tv comes on and the S+ goes off - then I have to use the Tv's actual remote to get the two device's on/offs back into sync.

At first, I thought my S+ was not waking from sleep, then I figured out the TV was off when it should be on etc.
I worried about something similar when CM released the "enhanced" remote for the DVR+. Since it didn't have separate power buttons for the DVR+ and TV, I thought getting the two out of sync would be an issue.

As it turned out, it wasn't, because the enhanced remote has separate off and on buttons. If you press "on" and get out of sync, just press "on" again and you're good. But since the S+ remote has a power toggle, getting out of sync is an issue with it.
post #966 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If the s+ is using Bluetooth, and the TV infrared, block the ir with your hand and press off.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
pilotart and TexasDude001 like this.
post #967 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
If the s+ is using Bluetooth, and the TV infrared, block the ir with your hand and press off.

Thanks, will try that.
post #968 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post
Do I understand that the Stream+ acquires PSIP data?

That would make it usable in Canada as according to a previous post, Live Channels only supplies guide data for U.S. stations.
That's the experience of a poster in the other thread. He gets the Canadian channels from Toronto, but the only guide data appears when he lands on one of the channels in the guide, waits a brief while, and then what I suspect is PSIP data appears for that channel. He can navigate it through the hours clicking RIGHT on the D-pad, but when he moves away from that channel in the guide the channel shows "no information".
post #969 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yep: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XCTBU

It even came with a short USB 3 cord.

Perfect - thank you. Much cheaper than a microSD card of half that size, and does not need a separate power supply.

I had an $8 Discover card "credit", and with Prime shipping, it should be delivered same-day (today) for $33 [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks again.

Ugh - took delivery off this drive tonight and it doesn't work for me with the S+. It formats as OTA but then constantly connects and disconnects every few seconds. Seems to work fine on a PC. I don't think it's getting enough power.

No big deal as I can use it elsewhere, but the S+ sure is particular.
post #970 of 2077 Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, will try that.

This worked great tonight. Thanks!
post #971 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
How do you remove Pluto from the guide without removing the app itself? (or anything besides OTA for that matter)

I though that I read the solution on here but I can't find it searching or browsing.
Been through all the setup options. I know the stream has many un-intuitive options so I may be missing something.
post #972 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Ahh, so it's not necessarily CEC. It's just that every press of the power button sends an IR power toggle to the TV regardless of what state the S+ is in. I think I have my S+ remote set up to not control the TV at all. It only controls my AVR volume. I use my universal remote 99% of the time and the S+ for voice search only anyway.
post #973 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ugh - took delivery off this drive tonight and it doesn't work for me with the S+. It formats as OTA but then constantly connects and disconnects every few seconds. Seems to work fine on a PC. I don't think it's getting enough power.

No big deal as I can use it elsewhere, but the S+ sure is particular.
Strange - it is working great for me. I wonder if you have a power output issue from your USB port on the Stream+?

Are you connected via Wifi or Ethernet? I'm Ethernet so the Wifi radio isn't transmitting. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
post #974 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert K View Post
How do you remove Pluto from the guide without removing the app itself? (or anything besides OTA for that matter)

I though that I read the solution on here but I can't find it searching or browsing.
Been through all the setup options. I know the stream has many un-intuitive options so I may be missing something.
While watching a channel hit the OK button, then scroll down to Channel Guide. You should be able to deselect PlutoTV in the settings menu.
Bert K likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #975 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Strange - it is working great for me. I wonder if you have a power output issue from your USB port on the Stream+?

Are you connected via Wifi or Ethernet? I'm Ethernet so the Wifi radio isn't transmitting. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
I'm using wifi. It's as if there is enough power to spin the disk up, but not enough to keep it spinning. The disk disconnects and reconnects over and over.

As I said, works great on my laptop (USB 2.0), so its an S+ thing.

PS - I have used an old wall-powered USB drive on the S+ with no issues. I just don't want a secondary device (the drive) permanently plugged in.

Last edited by JH64; 05-04-2018 at 08:22 AM.
post #976 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
First I would like to thank avs and all of you that have helped this dummy out over the years. I live out in the middle of nowhere of the grid. I started using the half baked epvision PhD and cussed at it almost everyday so when the stream plus was offered I got in on the preorder. I did what I said I would do and took that piece of sh.. out and blew it a part with a couple rounds of double 00 shotgun rounds. Then ordered the homeworx ota DVR to get us through till the S+ showed up. We have Hugh's net for our internet with 20 gigs and 50 gigs off hours. We download amazon prime shows in the off hours and cast them when we want to watch AP. Would like to learn more about downloading other programs to cast later. So now knowing where we came from the S+ is very impressive.
After getting everything hooked up S+,avr and TV the TV through up the hdcp 2.2 error so I thought maybe its time to up grade my ten year old lg tv. Found a 55'' 1080 Toshiba for 300 bucks out the door. Hooked it up and same error code, got back on avs forum and realized it could be HDMI cables. Then read about the splitter so I got one for about 20 bucks and bang we are up and running thanks to avs and you guys. I know the S+ has a ways to go but at least unlike the piece of crap we had people are working on this thing. Thank you so much!
danlshane likes this.
post #977 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wood View Post
First I would like to thank avs and all of you that have helped this dummy out over the years. I live out in the middle of nowhere of the grid. I started using the half baked epvision PhD and cussed at it almost everyday so when the stream plus was offered I got in on the preorder. I did what I said I would do and took that piece of sh.. out and blew it a part with a couple rounds of double 00 shotgun rounds. Then ordered the homeworx ota DVR to get us through till the S+ showed up. We have Hugh's net for our internet with 20 gigs and 50 gigs off hours. We download amazon prime shows in the off hours and cast them when we want to watch AP. Would like to learn more about downloading other programs to cast later. So now knowing where we came from the S+ is very impressive.
After getting everything hooked up S+,avr and TV the TV through up the hdcp 2.2 error so I thought maybe its time to up grade my ten year old lg tv. Found a 55'' 1080 Toshiba for 300 bucks out the door. Hooked it up and same error code, got back on avs forum and realized it could be HDMI cables. Then read about the splitter so I got one for about 20 bucks and bang we are up and running thanks to avs and you guys. I know the S+ has a ways to go but at least unlike the piece of crap we had people are working on this thing. Thank you so much!
I love stories like this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #978 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No issues with a house brand USB 3.0 256GB thumbdrive from Microcenter that I got a couple of years ago.
I take it back. Drive got very, very hot and ultimately failed as DVR storage after a few days. Had to go back to an externally powered HDD.
post #979 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Things just "got real". I was paying $150 per month for Comcast service and logged into my account today - apparently Im now "out of contract" and my new per month went to $193!! So I just opted for the Comcast "starter" pack of TV and Internet, at $100 per month, and no NO dvr in the bedroom.

I realize it's not fully cutting the cord, but this will be the first time I'm "comcast-less" in the bedroom. So S+, let's see if you can fill the need
post #980 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
So, we're at the point where a decent selection of people have the Stream+ in hand.
Has anyone put the Plex client app through its paces?
Has anyone put the Kodi app through its paces?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #981 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i guess new thing its live channels you can put anything there, just few clicks againts using apps.

i already put few free channels , iptv.

live channels make me keep stream + with hope also they do right steps with dvr part of stream +
post #982 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
So, we're at the point where a decent selection of people have the Stream+ in hand.
Has anyone put the Plex client app through its paces?
Has anyone put the Kodi app through its paces?
@fshagan and @Valyard reported good results in the streaming thread (which I saw your replies on) with 1080p from NAS. Where you primarily interested in BD rip results as previously and/or h.265 performance?
post #983 of 2077 Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
@fshagan and @Valyard reported good results in the streaming thread (which I saw your replies on) with 1080p from NAS. Where you primarily interested in BD rip results as previously and/or h.265 performance?
@fshagan did DVD but not full bitrate BD rips on the Plex app - which is what I'm interested in.
I don't recall reading anything from @Valyard on the subject. I'll check his posts in that thread.
Most people tend to frequent one thread or the other so I'm just fishing here to see if anybody has branched out to more than the DVR side of things.

edit: OK, I looked.
@Valyard did 1080 BD rips on Kodi but couldn't verify HD audio passthrough.

When this thing drops to $99 again I think I'll have to pick one up.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 05-04-2018 at 08:08 PM.
post #984 of 2077 Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
While watching a channel hit the OK button, then scroll down to Channel Guide. You should be able to deselect PlutoTV in the settings menu.
Thanks!

I did figured that out yesterday. Have to remember to press OK then down arrow otherwise it just changes the channel.
post #985 of 2077 Old 05-05-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What's up with the Vudu app? It was working fine. Now I'm getting a message that the app is out of date and needs to be updated. When I click on the update notice in the message, it goes to a window that does not have an update button. The window only has a button for a description of the app. Vudu no longer shows up as an app in the Google Play Store. Anyone else having this problem?
post #986 of 2077 Old 05-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What's up with the Vudu app? It was working fine. Now I'm getting a message that the app is out of date and needs to be updated. When I click on the update notice in the message, it goes to a window that does not have an update button. The window only has a button for a description of the app. Vudu no longer shows up as an app in the Google Play Store. Anyone else having this problem?
I didn't have it installed before, but I just checked and now the "Technicolor 7500" device is listed as not supported (greyed out) in the drop down to add the app:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vudu-greyed-out.png
Views:	51
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2399216  
post #987 of 2077 Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Geez, I thought Vudu would be supported everywhere. My wife even has it on her Android (not Android TV) tablet.
ppasteur likes this.
post #988 of 2077 Old 05-06-2018, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Paired a Bluetooth gamepad, (red samurai), works for riptide2. Need to map a back button.

post #989 of 2077 Old 05-07-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
When you 'get' 5.1 from Live Channels, is the DD signal being bitstreamed to be decoded by your AVR, or is the Stream+ decoding it to 5.1 PCM (only HDMI has the bandwidth for that) itself?
The apps might only support DD bitstreaming to the AVR. If surround is set to 'always' it might be creating 5.1 PCM out of whatever the source is.
What do you mean by 'not seeing' 5.1?
I'm not a 100% sure if it's bitstream or PCM. I will have to check. I have my Stream+ hooked to my Vizio M70 via HDMI and the Vizio 54in 5.1 sound bar hooked up via ARC. The TV has info related to the video and audio it receives. I also have a little Dolby Light that lights up on the soundbar when it receives a DD signal. IIRC there are settings in the TV for what audio to output as well. Gotta take a dig in and see.
post #990 of 2077 Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Using the regular Amazon app on my TiVo gets me DD+ 5.1 with 1080i/p60 on Grand Tour.
Right, that also worked on my firestick. The problem is with the sideloaded version on the stream+ not appearing to be sending out 5.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page