Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 697Likes

post #1351 of 2137 Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
I appreciate the real world usage of EoP from JH Brandt and Danishane.
Happy to be of help when possible. One thing I should have mentioned about my setup is that I also have a Netgear wireless extender between two levels of my home because they are on different circuits like yours. My son lives on the lower level, and he games like a madman over our network. It's been solid beyond reasonable expectation.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2137 Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Had a pair of Actiontec PoE years ago that locked up at least once a month requiring me to unplug both to reset. Replaced with Moca which has been rock solid for years. So I avoid PoE if at all possible.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-10-2018 at 12:43 PM.
post #1353 of 2137 Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
The performance of powerline adapters is extremely situational. Their performance is impacted when circuit breakers are traversed and the most when you have to go across poles in the breaker box. Any GFI's in the circuits will just about kill the throughput. I use AV500 PLA's in my home and after finding the right outlet combinations, they provide me with the bare minimum bandwidth necessary for me to stream full bitrate BD rips from my server. Upgrading to the newest and fastest (AV2000) units is not worth it for me as they provide only a minimal increase in speed -- the wires and circuits are the limiting factor.

So bottom line -- if you are getting into PLA's for the first time, buy them from a store with a good return policy just in case.
danlshane likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 2137 Old 08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
CM's open-box store on eBay has some other good deals; e.g., $19 for one of their LTE filters, or $22.50 for a 2-port TV distribution amp. Just click "Visit store" at the right of the eBay page for the CM-6104.

Will you be getting VHF-Lo stations in the upcoming repack? The store has a CM-3020 high-gain, all-band outdoor TV antenna for only $69. (Caution: I own one & it's a huge antenna; not recommended for attic installations!)
post #1355 of 2137 Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For me, running cat6 was the easiest solution. Daisy chained an ac router to the p***poor uverse g router and went Ethernet on everything that could take it.

An inexpensive breaker finder from say, harbor freight could help you identify which outlets are on the same hot leg in the panel. Adjacent breakers are on separate legs to accommodate double pole 240 v circuits. The left side is odd, right side even. The slots are numbered. 1,2,5,6,9,10 etc will be on the a leg. This is the most common configuration, but there are exceptions. New nec code is mandating afci (arc fault) breakers on most branch circuits, don't know how much interference they cause.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by mat55555; 08-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
post #1356 of 2137 Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a way to get the channelmaster remote to 'learn' from an old remote? I have an old Yamaha receiver that is not programmable via the normal way, through the CM remote app. Not having volume control is hardcore.

Thanks.
Chris
post #1357 of 2137 Old 08-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx19035 View Post
Is there a way to get the channelmaster remote to 'learn' from an old remote? I have an old Yamaha receiver that is not programmable via the normal way, through the CM remote app. Not having volume control is hardcore.

Thanks.
Chris
No there is not. But I recommend you go through the setup procedure again as Yamaha volume codes have not changed in the past 25 years and are the same across all models 99.9% of the time. Failing that, get a universal remote. Here's a cheap one that can control your CM and Yamaha, or spend a little more for a low end Harmony.
https://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARUS.../dp/B00HNIHM5S
Here's an upgrade file of mine that works on any remote that takes JP1 codes or pronto hex in case you can't find a code. Use Remote Master to load into the remote or IRScrutinizer to convert to pronto hex.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=25135 (must log in to download)
hx19035 likes this.
post #1358 of 2137 Old 08-11-2018, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No there is not. But I recommend you go through the setup procedure again as Yamaha volume codes have not changed in the past 25 years and are the same across all models 99.9% of the time. Failing that, get a universal remote. Here's a cheap one that can control your CM and Yamaha, or spend a little more for a low end Harmony.
Here's an upgrade file of mine that works on any remote that takes JP1 codes or pronto hex in case you can't find a code. Use Remote Master to load into the remote or IRScrutinizer to convert to pronto hex.
(must log in to download)
Cool, thank you for that! I actually bought a little harmony remote...but...dang, just dont like them for some reason. God forbid someone turns on a component with it's original remote now the Harmony will turn everything else on and the other unit off. Man, what a PITA.
I went through the entire 21 test codes on the setup and none of them changed the volume on my old Yamaha receiver. I thought it would have picked up on the first 2 or 3.
Crazy.
post #1359 of 2137 Old 08-12-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx19035 View Post
Cool, thank you for that! I actually bought a little harmony remote...but...dang, just dont like them for some reason. God forbid someone turns on a component with it's original remote now the Harmony will turn everything else on and the other unit off. Man, what a PITA.
That's why my stock remotes are hidden in a drawer where others won't pick them up by accident. And the Harmony HELP feature quickly gets components back in sync.
hx19035 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #1360 of 2137 Old 08-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
CM's open-box store on eBay has some other good deals; e.g., $19 for one of their LTE filters, or $22.50 for a 2-port TV distribution amp. Just click "Visit store" at the right of the eBay page for the CM-6104.
Thanks for the head's up. I was looking for a good 2-port distribution amplifier to see if I could improve the signal to the Stream+.
post #1361 of 2137 Old 08-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Atsc 3.0

This is an interesting read, ( and listen, there is an audio portion also), about FCC granting first license to public broadcaster to experiment with ATSC 3.0

http://www.wkar.org/post/fcc-grants-...-tv-0#stream/0
post #1362 of 2137 Old 08-14-2018, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dolby Surround on Streaming Channels

It seems all of the streaming services are outputting LPCM 48 but Stream+ specs say Dolby Digital and Digital is supported. I am using a hi resolution HDMI cable direct from my Stream+ to my Sony 7.1 amp.

Direct over the air channels are Dolby Digital from the Stream+. Streaming services like PLUTO and HULU are not.

Are there any settings that I need to know about to allow streaming in proper surround?

System sound: ON
Surround sound: Always

Latest update too

I did a search but no solid answers. Thanks!
post #1363 of 2137 Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by untkay View Post
It seems all of the streaming services are outputting LPCM 48 but Stream+ specs say Dolby Digital and Digital is supported. I am using a hi resolution HDMI cable direct from my Stream+ to my Sony 7.1 amp.

Direct over the air channels are Dolby Digital from the Stream+. Streaming services like PLUTO and HULU are not.
From what I've read, most of the streaming channels are very slow to add 5.1 surround sound. Direct TV Now just added some 5.1 late last year, and they were the first streaming service to offer it. I'm sure that Pluto is stereo only.

Hulu supports 5.1 only on a few devices: https://help.hulu.com/en-us/surround-sound XBox, PlayStation and LG TVs are all they support currently, but maybe those articles will give you hints at configuring the audio so it will pass through correctly.
post #1364 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Are there any settings that I need to know about to allow streaming in proper surround?
Latest update too
Your experience is like mine. I get DD5.1 from 95% of my broadcast channels. What I don't get is that the network's own streaming channels are also PCM. Even the YouTube streaming parts of HBO are DD2.0.

It doesn't help, but most content on the Roku channel is DD5.1.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 08-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #1365 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Missing History Channel App

Any happen to have the apk for the History Channel that works with the Stream+?
post #1366 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVR functions?

Since the Stream+ bundle is again out of stock (https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream...7600bdl1tb.htm) for a while, I thought I'd ask: What's the current state of play of the hardware and software if I'm mainly interested in DVR functions?

(My main use is: Start recording my favorite NFL team while committed elsewhere, return home and start replay with the kickoff, fast-forward through commercials to get live by about the fourth quarter. I gather that was problematic with the Stream+ earlier on -- still true?)
post #1367 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post
Since the Stream+ bundle is again out of stock for a while, I thought I'd ask: What's the current state of play of the hardware and software if I'm mainly interested in DVR functions?

(My main use is: Start recording my favorite NFL team while committed elsewhere, return home and start replay with the kickoff, fast-forward through commercials to get live by about the fourth quarter. I gather that was problematic with the Stream+ earlier on -- still true?)
I was recording a movie and tried to start watching it from the beginnig while it was still recording the last half hour but changed my mind due to concerrns it could not be done. I went back to LIVE TV after viewing the DVR icon which indicated in minutes that it had been recording from the beginning. I can't remember the exact circumstances but when I went to watch the movie later the only thing recorded was from where I tried to start watching, so only the last half hour.

Maybe someone else had better luck?
post #1368 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I was recording a movie and tried to start watching it from the beginnig while it was still recording the last half hour but changed my mind due to concerrns it could not be done. I went back to LIVE TV after viewing the DVR icon which indicated in minutes that it had been recording from the beginning. I can't remember the exact circumstances but when I went to watch the movie later the only thing recorded was from where I tried to start watching, so only the last half hour.

Maybe someone else had better luck?
Currently, the Live Channels app does not support "chase play". It wont allow you to attempt to watch recordings until the recording is complete.

Google tech team have stated they are expecting to have this feature on a future update.
post #1369 of 2137 Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post
Since the Stream+ bundle is again out of stock (https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream...7600bdl1tb.htm) for a while.
I guess you meant Since the Stream+ bundle IS in stock again?

They still have them available as of 6:30 pm eastern. Purchase Stream+ & 1 TB drive bundle $178.00

Edit corrected offer (I mistakingly said buy Stream+ Get 1tb free, oops, my bad).

Last edited by merman9393; 08-15-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #1370 of 2137 Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfla1018 View Post
Any happen to have the apk for the History Channel that works with the Stream+?
I pulled the History Channel apk from my Fire TV and installed it on the Stream+. But when I run it, I just get a blank screen. We'll have to keep looking. But you should be able to watch that channel on MobDro.
post #1371 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Cool install of Stream+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
For me, running cat6 was the easiest solution. Daisy chained an ac router to the p***poor uverse g router and went Ethernet on everything that could take it.

An inexpensive breaker finder from say, harbor freight could help you identify which outlets are on the same hot leg in the panel. Adjacent breakers are on separate legs to accommodate double pole 240 v circuits. The left side is odd, right side even. The slots are numbered. 1,2,5,6,9,10 etc will be on the a leg. This is the most common configuration, but there are exceptions. New nec code is mandating afci (arc fault) breakers on most branch circuits, don't know how much interference they cause.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Yes, this was the way to go for me as well with several components including DVR+'s that wanted WiFi adapters and a Pioneer Tuner/Amp (AVR/ARC) that required an Ethernet or Ethernet Relay.

I measured a need for 66 feet and Amazon advertised "66 Feet" but it was 15M which is 49 feet. Returned it and ordered this 30M which was correctly described as "100 Feet".
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I now have 34 useful feet to spare.

Note that this is a Cat-7 thin flat cable and was easy to install (glad I had first unrolled and measured for their "66" feet).

I had earlier purchased this WiFi Ethernet relay adapter but even 20' closer to router/modem it had some WiFi issues that a solid line never has. This 5-way Ethernet Switch now feeds from the more reliable Cat-7 line.

Quote:

Latest update too

What I found cured my Dolby-5 pass through and other annoying issues (like changing TV Settings and turning it off while turning Stream+ On), was back in 'Setup' and under HDMI; turning its 'control' feature off.
Art
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1372 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Amazon Fire TV DVR ?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...allenging-tivo

Article states this new "Live TV DVR" will be competing with TiVo and Dish's Slingbox. I wasn't aware Dish was still marketing a DVR Slingbox.

Anyway, Amazon has the $'s to pull off a good device if they want to. We shall see.

I posted a thread in HDTV Recorders Section for discussion on Amazon "Frank" DVR, this is just a heads up for our Stream+ owners. Probably better to discuss in that thread.
richart and danlshane like this.

Last edited by merman9393; 08-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #1373 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Latest update too

That' the problem with the streamers. Little surround sound available. That's why I sticking with DirecTV. Most therestuff is 5.1 if available. HBO on direcTV is 5.1. HBO apps like Go and Now are Stereo.
post #1374 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...allenging-tivo

Article states this new "Live TV DVR" will be competing with TiVo and Dish's Slingbox. I wasn't aware Dish was still marketing a DVR Slingbox.

Anyway, Amazon has the $'s to pull off a good device if they want to. We shall see.

I posted a thread in HDTV Recorders Section for discussion on Amazon "Frank" DVR, this is just a heads up for our Stream+ owners. Probably better to discuss in that thread.
I'd jump on the Amazon DVR in 2 seconds, if it arrives. I have the Fire TV boxes and they are extremely reliable and regularly updated. If Amazon releases something they get it right, or eventually get it right through updates - all at a great price.

The S+ has been disappointing in the fact that updates are few and far between. I would have hoped by now for updates to basic DVR functionality or some kind of new feature (such as mobile viewing). It seems the S+ development is done with new features. Too bad as its an overall good device. If the Amazon DVR comes out, my S+ will be relegated to the spare bedroom.

In this business, you snooze you lose.
merman9393 likes this.
post #1375 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
I'd jump on the Amazon DVR in 2 seconds, if it arrives. I have the Fire TV boxes and they are extremely reliable and regularly updated. If Amazon releases something they get it right, or eventually get it right through updates - all at a great price.

The S+ has been disappointing in the fact that updates are few and far between. I would have hoped by now for updates to basic DVR functionality or some kind of new feature (such as mobile viewing). It seems the S+ development is done with new features. Too bad as its an overall good device. If the Amazon DVR comes out, my S+ will be relegated to the spare bedroom.

In this business, you snooze you lose.
As far as new features for Stream+, I think we will eventually see the 4K Netflix app, ( it took about a year for the other Skipper units to get authorization), and I think we might get a surprise when the ChannelMaster place holder app is finally past "coming soon".

But, yea, if Amazon decides to go down this road, and invests in the idea, they are likely to have a winner. Their reputation for quality at an affordable price is well known.
post #1376 of 2137 Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 PM

HDHomrun Premium TV Service

Today has been full of news,... And nice when a service shows a pic of the Stream+ as a supported device.

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	36
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	2443032  
post #1377 of 2137 Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 PM

Here's a quick video of how quick the channels change on my Stream+ using HDHomerun Premium TV Service.

I'm using Live Channels app,....Channels 2-67 are OTA, while 1000 on are the Premium TV Streaming networks. I'm happy that the Streaming channels load just as fast as the OTA.

https://youtu.be/s6ZcEab7QOY
arbegas likes this.
post #1378 of 2137 Old 08-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
It is kind of big news, especially in the local storage recording space. I'm not sure it means good things for the Stream+. It just kind of highlights how much better HDHomeRun is handling recording (and access to recordings) better than the Stream+ every time somebody uses it (while treating the Stream+ as essentially just another client box). At some point, users are going to wonder why they just don't go with a cheaper fire stick, for example, than the Stream+ for recording needs.
post #1379 of 2137 Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
At some point, users are going to wonder why they just don't go with a cheaper fire stick, for example, than the Stream+ for recording needs.
Dual tuner HDHomeRun is $100, Fire Stick is $40, then you have to pay for SiliconDust's DVR service. No savings at all really.

I already have a pile of Fire Sticks and have had HomeRun tuners several times in the past. If it was such a great solution, I'd still be doing it.

There is still no great solution. Tivo DVR is brillant, but their streaming sucks. Stream+ and similar are ok at streaming, but the DVR is lacking in many ways and unreliable. I still can't wean myself from Tivo. It's such a solid performer.
post #1380 of 2137 Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM

You can't plug a USB drive in a Firestick and use HDHomerun DVR service for $3 a month, ($35 a year).
There are currently 4 devices that can do that , a Shield, MiBox, AirTV Player, and Stream+.

You can buy a supported nas. You can run a 24/7 pc. Only those 4 devices support their DVR engine with USB DRIVE, and, only the Shield and Stream+ use their "highly recommended" USB 3.0 Drive.

If you already own a Stream+, ( I own 3), it is far more capable a DVR using HDHomerun, when I can take the drive out and back it up, transfer to my nas, can't do that with Live Channel recordings.

To add A Streaming service to that is the icing in the cake. It's replacing my SlingTV service at the same cost. And I can record all of the Streaming Channels as well, along with my OTA.

For me, my family, this was such an easy sell after we saw the demo channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page