Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 691Likes

post #1741 of 2098 Old 10-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Flatulator1 gets NY stations too, since he's close to the border. He's also using a NY zip code, but he still can't get the guide data even for the NY stations, apparently because access to the guide server is blocked from Canadian IP addresses.

Not sure about that last part but it seems plausible. That's why I asked about a VPN.
Thinking about this, it might be easier than that. If Flatulator is logged in with his Google account they know he is in Canada. You have to have a Google account to use Live Channels (or at least you have to log into or create a Google account).

But I don't think it's that sophisticated, to be honest. Google Live Channels has stated that they get the guide date from Google which uses several sources, but the main source is Gracenote. If they are only supporting US-based stations then they may only be purchasing US-based station data from Gracenote. Perhaps their free sources they were using for the Canadian stations dried up, and since they aren't officially supporting Canada yet, they haven't paid to have Gracenote provide the data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2098 Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Flatulator1 gets NY stations too, since he's close to the border. He's also using a NY zip code, but he still can't get the guide data even for the NY stations, apparently because access to the guide server is blocked from Canadian IP addresses.

Not sure about that last part but it seems plausible. That's why I asked about a VPN.

IDK if Canadian stations are in the guide or not. But they may be, because of the reverse situation (NYers close to the border can get and watch Canadian stations).
I didn't mean blocked, but I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

This is how it was described to me. Since Stream+ only needs guide data for OTA broadcasts, their contract with Gracenote is far more reasonable than say HDHomerun who needs data for OTA and full cable tv systems, requiring way more data, Gracenote provides the data to Google servers and sets up electronic delivery to every Android TV in the USA. ChannelMaster has a very favorable rate, and they don't charge Stream+ owners for the guide.

When they originally contracted to distribute Stream+ in USA for a minimum of 24 months, with first choice on new contracts, they negotiated a contract that reserved an extension to sell and market I'm Canada, if Sales were brisk. They aren't.

At one time on our forums, Nick was looking into using border zip copes for the few consumers who might use them.

Most streamer in Canada use Tablo or TiVo as they are actually licensed for EPG guides.

I love my Stream+, have tried my best to support them, and continue to, this Christmas will determine a lot.
post #1743 of 2098 Old 10-28-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 26
well they need fix bugs then! just that can help honestly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2098 Old 10-29-2018, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
well they need fix bugs then! just that can help honestly.
What bugs are you seeing? I'm not seeing any, although I do have my Stream+ connected with Ethernet and have a powered USB drive now. It's rock solid for me.
post #1745 of 2098 Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
What bugs are you seeing? I'm not seeing any, although I do have my Stream+ connected with Ethernet and have a powered USB drive now. It's rock solid for me.

so for you its perfect then?

i lost some channels with good signal and wifi issue.
post #1746 of 2098 Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
so for you its perfect then?

i lost some channels with good signal and wifi issue.
I wouldn't say "perfect" because it still has some missing features (Netflix, Amazon, chase play on the DVR and a two week guide are all features I want to see added before I recommend it unequivocally). But I'm not seeing any bugs in the day to day operation of it.

The Live Channels guide is far superior for my use than the streaming services guides, or even the HD Homerun. There's a lot more capability in terms of network casting in the HD Homerun, but it's guide and DVR controls are awkward. I would give it the edge for someone looking for an OTA with DVR capability, if they are technical and able to get past the weird guide and DVR controls.
post #1747 of 2098 Old 10-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Not sure if I should have posted this in the Denon AVR thread or not but......

I'm having an issue with the video out of the stream+ via HDMI into the AVR Denon 4200. All other components such as fire stick, blu ray player etc, work fine with no issues.

I get audio but no video. The message reads (This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2)
The stream+ also works when going direct to the TV.

Denon support is telling me to do a factory reset and if no joy send the unit in for service. I'd rather not do any of the two options.

Please provide some possible suggestions other than a factory reset etc.

Thanks in advance.

MY 5.4.4 SET UP (Dolby Atmos)
Onkyo TX-NR809, Denon X4200 (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (side surrounds Primus P363), 2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs. 4 ea Over head in ceiling 8" speakers.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000. Samsung BD-8500 Blu-Player

Last edited by Ray77085; 10-30-2018 at 04:13 PM.
post #1748 of 2098 Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I have a question. I have an Stream+ . It has and external 1 TB drive connected. A Toshiba 5400 rpm 2.5 inch USB powered drive. I have been using the HD Homerun DVR. I record half a dozen shows each week. I don't use it that much, maybe once per week. But pretty much every time I go into the HD Homerun app it tells me that I have no DVR configured. Rebooting (unplug power) allows me to see the DVR, but though all of my tasks are there, no recordings show up. This happens even though occasionally I get into it and can see and playback recorded episodes. I would have hoped that at least it would read the existi8ng recordings after a reboot.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this. Would it perhaps be the Toshiba drive?/ I tried it with a 2 TB drive . A 3.5" WD black label in a self powered enclosure (USB 3) but it would not recognize the drive. Plugging it into my PC it works fine. I thought it supports 2TB. SO if the consensus is that I should replace the drive, what should I use. I see some have drives that are compatible. What are you using?

Thanks for any info you can supply!
post #1749 of 2098 Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Any suggestions on how I might fix this. Would it perhaps be the Toshiba drive?/ I tried it with a 2 TB drive . A 3.5" WD black label in a self powered enclosure (USB 3) but it would not recognize the drive. Plugging it into my PC it works fine. I thought it supports 2TB. SO if the consensus is that I should replace the drive, what should I use. I see some have drives that are compatible. What are you using?

Thanks for any info you can supply!
I'm using a powered USB 3.0 enclosure (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZC303G) with a 750 GB WD drive. I didn't have much luck with the portable drive I had; like yours, it was powered from the USB port and I think that may have been the problem.

I was trying to use the USB powered portable drive as the storage for a HD Homerun, and it worked after a fashion. But I kept having the "disconnect" problem and had to reinstall the HD Homerun storage from within it's app. I changed back to using the Stream+ for OTA and had the same problem with internal storage (disconnecting), so I switched to the powered enclosure.

I don't know if it would have worked for the HD Homerun. But I would try it if you have a hard drive enclosure.
post #1750 of 2098 Old 10-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Thanks for that. I found something that said the Stream + would support 2 TB. But I would plug it in get asked to format it. That process would complete, then the unit would lock up. I did that several times with the same result. This One TB portable drive seems to work fine. I think I have a 1TB 3.5" drive around I can try. That should tell me if it is the drive or the enclosure. Though the enclosure is a Thermaltake model. I have about 6 of them in use in different places and have not had any problems with them on multiple different machines.

Interestingly, I was having problem with the Stream + hijacking the Denon 6404 inputs when turning things on or switching to different inputs. I turned OFF CEC control. It fixed the hijacking. I also looked and and have 6 recordings over 3 days that actually worked and have been retained.. so far. I will be interested to see if that lasts ...
post #1751 of 2098 Old 11-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys, there is too many pages here. Can anyone tell me why I am not getting Dolby Digital from my units playback (or live TV)? I have to use the optical digital out, because my current receiver does not take HDMI.

Thanks!
post #1752 of 2098 Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
Sorry guys, there is too many pages here. Can anyone tell me why I am not getting Dolby Digital from my units playback (or live TV)? I have to use the optical digital out, because my current receiver does not take HDMI.

Thanks!
I think it's a limitation of the Toslink / optical digital signal, isn't it? We get full audio through the HDMI. I did find this about optical digital:

Quote:
But the optical audio connection is far more limited. So limited, it can't even transmit the high-resolution audio formats that came out with Blu-ray more than a decade ago, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.
From: https://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-optical-cable-dying/
post #1753 of 2098 Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I figured it out! I switched the Audio surround sound setting from "Auto" to "Always" and now it works! (the one thing i hadn't tried yet. I have no idea why Auto did not work, but so be it.)

EDIT: But now the audio cuts out periodically on live watching. There's always something....

Last edited by Nightingale; 11-01-2018 at 08:57 PM.
post #1754 of 2098 Old 11-08-2018, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I side-loaded the latest Prime Video APK (4.10.3-googleplay-armv7a) this morning and signed in successfully. I've not had time to test for AV stability yet, but will do so this evening.
merman9393 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #1755 of 2098 Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
EDIT: But now the audio cuts out periodically on live watching. There's always something....
I had the audio dropout issue as well. I had to remove an hdmi splitter to fix it...so maybe there is an issue in their hdmi signal that is not quite to spec???
post #1756 of 2098 Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM

im using upnp connection for see my video collections with stream + , best way its with ethernet cable plugged because wifi drops connections several times.
post #1757 of 2098 Old 11-08-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit4ever View Post
I had the audio dropout issue as well. I had to remove an hdmi splitter to fix it...so maybe there is an issue in their hdmi signal that is not quite to spec???
Interesting, I will give that a try because even though I an using optical out for audio, my receiver only switches and passes through HDMI to my projo, so I will test that.

Thanx.
post #1758 of 2098 Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I suppose it could also depend upon Your specific TV & AVR. (Mine are listed within sig below.)

I had noticed audio dropout patches in a recording (MotorWeek) that was just one of several in a folder, recordings played just prior from same folder had no audio issue. (Of course they were recorded a week apart.)

I changed from "Receiver" to "TV Speaker" (JS9000 w/Dolby 5.1 on ARC) and this turned AVR completely off, the audio continued through TV Speakers with no audio dropout.

Changing TV back to "Receiver" turned AVR back on and audio was normal.

Some sort of "handshake issue" I presume, but why did it appear in this recording?
Art
post #1759 of 2098 Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 AM

It didn't take long for the DD audio dropout to show up when testing the latest Prime Video version.

--
Dan Shane

post #1760 of 2098 Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
That's too bad. Do you think this might be an otherwise stable version for users not using DD ?

I have tried a few different apk's, and they all are a bit "finicky" on my Stream+. I might watch an entire 2 hour movie and see no issues, and then the next attempt start having dropped audio about every 30 sec. Then, try that same video a day later, and it plays fine. I am just using standard audio though.

My Nvidia Shield TV has Prime Video preinstalled as a System app Version 4.10.3 googleplay-armv7a and at one point that was the suggested version to side load into Stream+ EDIT IT WAS THE 4.8 VERSION THAT WAS EARLIER SUGGESTED. I think I'm using the previous version now, but it's hard to tell any difference, and can't determine what is triggering the dropped audio as playing the same video can have different outcomes.

I picked up a Jetstream 4K Ultra at Walmart for $69 last week, which is absolutely impressive. It is the 2nd best Android TV device I've used, with Nvidia being the best. It has Nelflix preinstalled as a system app, and fully supports my Netflix Ultra HD subscription, but does not have Prime Video. I haven't begun trying to side load on it yet, but I will probably try a few different apk's this weekend.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by merman9393; 11-10-2018 at 08:11 AM.
post #1761 of 2098 Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
That's too bad. Do you think this might be an otherwise stable version for users not using DD ?

I have tried a few different apk's, and they all are a bit "finicky" on my Stream+. I might watch an entire 2 hour movie and see no issues, and then the next attempt start having dropped audio about every 30 sec. Then, try that same video a day later, and it plays fine. I am just using standard audio though.
I tried the new version with Surround set to Never in the Audio settings of the S+, but it didn't seem to help matters much. Depending on programming APK 4.7.17 seems to be the most stable version so far, though it also will glitch briefly on some shows. I seem to notice more dropouts on programs that push the technology (4K and DD), such as THE PATRIOT (which gets my vote as best show on Prime Video).

I never have a single drop on YouTubeTV, and seldom have trouble with PBS Passport or the side-loaded Netflix. If Amazon ever got its act together on Android TV support I would rarely need to change inputs. I am quite happy with Google Live Channel DVR performance, and we may see some improvements on that front early 2019.
merman9393 likes this.

--
Dan Shane

post #1762 of 2098 Old 11-13-2018, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
i ordered the 4 tuner, due to constant issues with DVR+ only allowing 2 channels. Some nights we record 2 shows and want to watch the news live.
Biggest selling point for me is the ability to view in separate rooms and watch on iphone. Lets see if this thing meets expectations.
If so, then I will upgrade a couple of the fire sticks to 4k, as the remote now has tv volume and improved wifi reception.

I expect the Recast specials will continue to include bundling thru the holidays. I don't need another Dot, however the 3rd generation is awesome compared to old one, if not connecting to a receiver.

I don't plan to disconnect DVR+ anytime soon, just use Source on Samsung tv to view Recast.

Just hope the Recast isn't buggy.
post #1763 of 2098 Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
i ordered the 4 tuner, due to constant issues with DVR+ only allowing 2 channels. Some nights we record 2 shows and want to watch the news live.
Biggest selling point for me is the ability to view in separate rooms and watch on iphone. Lets see if this thing meets expectations.
If so, then I will upgrade a couple of the fire sticks to 4k, as the remote now has tv volume and improved wifi reception.

I expect the Recast specials will continue to include bundling thru the holidays. I don't need another Dot, however the 3rd generation is awesome compared to old one, if not connecting to a receiver.

I don't plan to disconnect DVR+ anytime soon, just use Source on Samsung tv to view Recast.

Makes sense - the 4 tuners. Biggest selling point for me is the ability to set it up anywhere in the home. So i can both get the best antennae location, and not have another "box" under the TV.

I see it has "auto delete" too - something sadly missing on the Stream+.
post #1764 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:

I just pulled the trigger on the following package: 2 Tuner Recast, 4K Firestick (with tv volume control), and 50 mile HD antenna = $250. I REALLY wanted it today but have to wait until Friday.
post #1765 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
But I Thought This Was a Stream+ Thread

How did Amazon Recast posts get in here? Recast WAS interesting until it became clear it will ONLY receive and record OTA TV. No OTT's and definitely not any premiums can be DVR'd.
kwg, JHBrandt, pilotart and 1 others like this.
post #1766 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
I agree Recast has its own thread(s). But it has ALL the OTT's via Fire TV including everything that's missing from Stream+ (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.). The box can't do anything at all without Fire TV. So it's kind of ridiculous to judge it as a stand-alone device. It has to be paired with a Fire TV to function at all. Think of it as a Stream+ with an external tuner and hard drive, just as Stream+ needs an external drive to function as a DVR (microSD recording just isn't practical).
post #1767 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Cool Live Channels 1.18(live_channels_20181104.00_RC01) released to beta.

New in 1.18
  • Program Guide shows up to 14 days of programing on select devices.

Note the expanded program guide will only be available to some users on Stream+, MiBox, and Nvidia Shield, while we monitor the results.

More devices will be added over time.
mdavej, fshagan, JHBrandt and 3 others like this.
post #1768 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
How did Amazon Recast posts get in here? Recast WAS interesting until it became clear it will ONLY receive and record OTA TV. No OTT's and definitely not any premiums can be DVR'd.
Because I was/am a Stream+ user who now switched to Recast and thought my post would help explain why people leave the S+ forum. It's not like the forum is "on fire" with posts.

However, this will be my last post in this forum, thanks for all the help in the past, and I hope the S+ one day reaches the dizzying heights of an official Netflix app.

I know many will go to bat for CM, but I still feel ripped off that the S+ updates were next to non-existent. I mean seriously, we still have a channel for CM with "Coming Soon" on it - after almost a year? They seem to have thrown the towel in, and the S+ is 'on sale' again.

Anyways, so long and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited by JH64; 11-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #1769 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I agree Recast has its own thread(s). But it has ALL the OTT's via Fire TV including everything that's missing from Stream+ (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.).

The box can't do anything at all without Fire TV. So it's kind of ridiculous to judge it as a stand-alone device. It has to be paired with a Fire TV to function at all. Think of it as a Stream+ with an external tuner and hard drive, just as Stream+ needs an external drive to function as a DVR (microSD recording just isn't practical).
The second part of your post is exactly right, but the first part is a bit confusing. To clarify, it's Fire TV that has "everything that's missing from Stream+," not Recast. Recast just adds OTA DVR capability to an existing Fire TV setup. Comparing Recast to the Stream+ is sort of an apples/oranges comparison.

Think of it this way: the Recast is most like the AirTV "black box," which requires dedicated streamers (Rokus or Fire TVs) at the TV sets; the Stream+ is more like the AirTV "Player," which connects directly to a TV.

Anyway, I agree that the posts about the Recast should be moved (except yours & mine - I think contrasting the Recast and Stream+ in this thread is fine - folks deserve to know how other devices stack up to the Stream+).
arbegas and pilotart like this.
post #1770 of 2098 Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Because I was/am a Stream+ user who now switched to Recast and thought my post would help explain why people leave the S+ forum.
That's fine; I think the problem was, the first Recast post just started out as if everyone knew he was talking about the Recast. He didn't even mention "Recast" until halfway down - and he compared it to the DVR+, not the Stream+:
Quote:
(BTW let me break in here - doesn't anyone around here know how to hook up a simple RF splitter? Seems like that would've been a lot cheaper than a whole new DVR setup )
Quote:

That would've made perfect sense in a Recast forum, and maybe even some sense in the DVR+ forum, but folks coming here to read about the Stream+ are bound to be confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page