Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 689Likes

post #1921 of 2077 Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you're on the lookout for alternatives, my Recast has been a pretty good replacement for my Stream+. Unlike the S+, it has Netflix and Amazon, has never lost its wifi connection, has never lost any recordings and works in every room and on every mobile device I own . . .
Unfortunately, it re-encodes and down grades the native broadcasts to 720p to keep the bitrates down to satisfy the lowest common denominator equipment it supports. Say goodbye to native 1080 broadcast source. Probably OK if one likes to watch TV on a smartphone or a 10" tablet, but if one mainly watches on a large HDTV they would be better served with a DVR alternative that preserves fidelity.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2077 Old 01-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Unfortunately, it re-encodes and down grades the native broadcasts to 720p to keep the bitrates down to satisfy the lowest common denominator equipment it supports. Say goodbye to native 1080 broadcast source. Probably OK if one likes to watch TV on a smartphone or a 10" tablet, but if one mainly watches on a large HDTV they would be better served with a DVR alternative that preserves fidelity.

That's a point I've made before, but the counter point is that a lot of stations only broadcast in 720p. I looked up the national feeds, and ABC and Fox stations are only 720p. The national feeds of CBS, The CW, NBC and PBS are 1080i. So those broadcasts, if your local area does indeed broadcast in 1080i, would be degraded.
post #1923 of 2077 Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Even though 720p is tolerable to me on my 55", I'm hoping they'll make 1080i an option in the future. Otherwise, I'll probably go back to Tivo now that they will be releasing a streaming app. But it might get transcoded to 720p too. Should know for sure soon enough.

In any case, 720p is still better than 0p which is what I get when all my Stream+ recordings disappear for no reason or fail to record because it locked up.

Tablo and AirTV are probably worth a look. But there's only so much I'm willing to spend, so I can't try every option under the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2077 Old 01-11-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
I'll probably go back to Tivo now that they will be releasing a streaming app. But it might get transcoded to 720p too.
Interesting that TiVo is going to support streamers. It makes sense; Roku and Fire TV are where the action is nowadays. I'd bet they'll transcode (necessary to support Rokus) but maybe they'll at least preserve the original broadcast's resolution. There may be a trade-off between resolution and number of concurrent streams, though; it takes a lot of processing to transcode on the fly.

Incidentally, I learned something new from @sneals2000 : even on a 720-line display, a 720p stream may still look worse than a 1080i stream. That sounds impossible, but it happens because of the way MPEG-2 compression works: it divides the image up into blocks (of 16x16 pixels IIRC) and compresses each block. So if you preserve a higher resolution (say, 1080i) until the very last step (downscaling to view on a 720-line screen, often done in the display itself), those 16x16 blocks of pixels will turn into smaller (10x10 or thereabouts) blocks of pixels on the screen. Doing it the other way (downscaling to 720p during transcoding then feeding that to your screen) ends up reconstructing full 16x16 blocks at the screen. So less information is lost in the compression-decompression process if you preserve the max. resolution until the very last minute.

Edit: The above may be less important with transcoded video because h.264 uses variable-sized blocks.
Quote:
Tablo and AirTV are probably worth a look. But there's only so much I'm willing to spend, so I can't try every option under the sun.
True. I mentioned those for the benefit of folks who were considering a switch but hadn't made their choice yet. Each has its own advantages & disadvantages (and now we can add TiVo into the mix).
mdavej likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #1925 of 2077 Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I decided to leave the Stream+ sphere and put mine on eBay, fairly cheaply at 80.00 and 10.00 shipping. I wasn't completely sure I wanted to sell, but had ordered a HDHomerun to use with my Shield, because it will give me more options. I figured at that price the Stream+ would probably selling pretty fast. It was gone and paid for in 15 minutes. I was kind of shocked. I'm going start out just using the Live Channels app with my Shield, because I really like the grid and hate the thought of paying for DVR software, but now I will the option to use Plex DVR or HDHomerun DVR. HDhHomerun gives you 2 months free DVR. For me, the Plus will always be a device that was good at what it was good at, but failed in other ways.
post #1926 of 2077 Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have a Netflix apk that works? The one I was using is not compatible with my device now.
post #1927 of 2077 Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG3rd View Post
I decided to leave the Stream+ sphere and put mine on eBay, fairly cheaply at 80.00 and 10.00 shipping. I wasn't completely sure I wanted to sell, but had ordered a HDHomerun to use with my Shield, because it will give me more options. I figured at that price the Stream+ would probably selling pretty fast. It was gone and paid for in 15 minutes. I was kind of shocked. I'm going start out just using the Live Channels app with my Shield, because I really like the grid and hate the thought of paying for DVR software, but now I will the option to use Plex DVR or HDHomerun DVR. HDhHomerun gives you 2 months free DVR. For me, the Plus will always be a device that was good at what it was good at, but failed in other ways.
I'm on the shield/hdhomerun side now too and am very happy. Just added a usb hdd to the shield for use with Live Channels dvr. Everything is working wonderful. I do prefer the LC inferface to that of the HDHR app. Network tuner (beta) has 14 days of guide data in LC. And netflix for the wife and kids.

My stream+ has bids on it currently. So it will be sold soon as well. I had a lot of offers right after posting it.
post #1928 of 2077 Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres Gutierrez View Post
Does anyone have a Netflix apk that works? The one I was using is not compatible with my device now.
Im pretty sure no one has netflix working on the stream plus anymore.
Im willing to test some apks. I just haven’t found any promising ones. Wish i could be more help.
post #1929 of 2077 Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
any app to record streams?
post #1930 of 2077 Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Can somebody help me opt-out of beta testing of Live Channels? On my Stream+ it's messing me up and I want to stop my beta testing. Version 1.19 has hidden all my recordings. Yes, I have rolled back to 1.17.4 for now, but I want to stop beta testing so I can get to 1.18 and the 14 day guide. What ever you tell me, it must work on the Stream+ please.

Thanks!
post #1931 of 2077 Old 01-26-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDude001 View Post
Can somebody help me opt-out of beta testing of Live Channels? On my Stream+ it's messing me up and I want to stop my beta testing. Version 1.19 has hidden all my recordings. Yes, I have rolled back to 1.17.4 for now, but I want to stop beta testing so I can get to 1.18 and the 14 day guide. What ever you tell me, it must work on the Stream+ please.

Thanks!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gle.android.tv

You have to do it on the web play store, not the app.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #1932 of 2077 Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 AM

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv

You have to do it on the web play store, not the app.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk[/quote]
Thank you, this page shows me I'm a beta tester, but doesn't show me how to leave. This is where all the Google links sent me.

I went back to find out how I got in (see #616 this thread) I clicked the link and this time I got out.
play.google.com/apps/testing/com.google.android.tv Thank you Nick Chalko! (sorry, forum doesn't let me post links, maybe I've been bad :-/ )

I just clicked the "Leave" button at the bottom right and bingo, I was out. Easy in, easy out, WITH THIS LINK. Thank you again for the response.
post #1933 of 2077 Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 PM

Strange, the link I posted had a green "leave" hyperlink down below for me. Did that allow you to update the app to the non beta version?

post #1934 of 2077 Old 01-26-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres Gutierrez View Post
As suggested in a different post. I installed kodi 18 with the netflix addon. It works on my stream +. Im happy to have netflix on the stream + again! So far it doesnt seem as user friendly as an official netflix app. But I like it!

Last edited by Shoemann; 01-26-2019 at 09:05 PM.
post #1935 of 2077 Old 01-26-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
Strange, the link I posted had a green "leave" hyperlink down below for me. Did that allow you to update the app to the non beta version?

Like I said, I saw that page before, and I didn't find anything there that would help me leave. Did I miss it?? Could you send me a screenshot to show me where on the page it was located? Curiosity has got me now ...
post #1936 of 2077 Old 01-27-2019, 05:26 AM

Scroll way down

post #1937 of 2077 Old 01-27-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Scroll way down

Screenshot - thank you. That's from your phone. I logged in from my PC and got a different screen. I definitely didn't see anything like that. The only difference I saw when I was a beta (this pic is current, I'm not a beta now) was a note telling me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live Channels.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	2517346  
post #1938 of 2077 Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 AM

Strange
post #1939 of 2077 Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Strange

I got the same screen as above, with no "Leave" link. But when I clicked to "Open in Play Store" button on my phone, the next page warned me my phone wasn't compatible, and at the bottom of THAT page I got the "Leave" link.
post #1940 of 2077 Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Was thinking browser might be the key. Perhaps chrome, being part of the Google collective, might parse the web page differently than, say, explorer or Firefox or opera.

post #1941 of 2077 Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps chrome, being part of the Google collective, might parse the web page differently than, say, explorer or Firefox or opera.
Actually Opera (since V15) uses Google's Chromium Web rendering engine under the covers, so it should work too.
post #1942 of 2077 Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

I removed myself from the beta, and then reset the Stream+ and re-started it fresh. It came up with version 1.17 of Live Channels, so I'll see if it updates to 1.18 overnight.

I'm setting up Plex with my HD Homerun and will use the Plex app on the Stream+ to control it's recordings. It will be the only app I install on the Stream+ to see if it will be more stable with less apps. I bought the lifetime Plex Pass over the holidays when they had it on sale for about $90. They use Gracenote guide data for a full two weeks out.

I've had issues with both the Stream+ guide being too short, missing recordings on the beta version of Live Channels that gives more guide data, and occasional "internal disconnects" with my wired ethernet connection (unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable back in restores the internal connection). So it's less than optimal even as just a Plex streaming device. But I've also had problems with the HD Homerun DVR service randomly disconnecting and losing it's activation keys. I'm hoping Plex's DVR is a more stable alternative. I have a Windows 10 server set up for Plex already, and it's running well.
post #1943 of 2077 Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I bought the lifetime Plex Pass over the holidays when they had it on sale for about $90. They use Gracenote guide data for a full two weeks out.
Ooh, that was a good deal. A lifetime of Gracenote data for $90? It's normally more like $150.

Too bad I missed out. Even SD doesn't offer a deal that good.
Alainl12 likes this.
post #1944 of 2077 Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yeah when I purchased and registered my Nvidia Shield TV, I received a notice and quickly purchased the Lifetime Plex Pass for $75. The combination of HDHomerun, SHield, and Plexpass is Cordcutters dream.

I actually use 2 Plex Servers, one on my Mac mini just for out of network connections, and one built into Shields OS for in home use. The shield is fine transcoding 2 streams, but, with relatives sharing my library it could struggle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2518016  
post #1945 of 2077 Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
with plex you need use your pc, that dont make any sense for my case.
and looks hard to find one nas with full plex support.
post #1946 of 2077 Old 01-30-2019, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
with plex you need use your pc, that dont make any sense for my case.
and looks hard to find one nas with full plex support.
PCs don't have to have full Plex support (whatever that means); nearly any Windows PC will work. I have a core i3 tower that is about 5 or 6 years old that I recently upgraded to Windows 10. It doesn't require any special graphics adapters or processors. But it is a barrier to entry for those that don't have old computers lying around. The nice thing is that playback can be on nearly any device, and you centralize your home and OTA media.

The Plex client app on the Stream+ has all the features of any Android TV device; you get the grid display out a full two weeks, the DVR functions can be accessed to set up a recording, etc. It's a nice UI and probably the one I will stick with. I like Live Channels a bit better because it is so familiar but Google hasn't been able to solve the problems with it over the past year, and can't seem to resolve the bug that loses recordings.

After my factory reset my Stream+ is still on version 1.17 for Live Channels, and even with no other apps added the ethernet connection seems to fail from time to time. I have to unplug and then plug the cable back in to get the Stream+ to recognize the connection to use any of the default apps that connect to the Internet. I added the Plex app last night, so I'll see if it disconnects with it as well.

The Stream+ is a pretty expensive Android TV streaming device without Netflix and Prime support; if the DVR functions aren't used it's hardly worth the $149 or $99 on sale pricing. It's worth even less if the Internet continues to disconnect. I'll have to check to see if there's some kind of keep alive app I can install to keep the connection active.
post #1947 of 2077 Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I purchased a Stream+ a few months back when I was having problems with my DVR+ but it is still in the box because the DVR+ is working fine now. The culprit was actually an HDMI cable gone bad.
Anyway, just wondering if it is possible to run the UFC TV app on the Stream+ ? And if anyone has tried, how does it work ? My new TV with ChromeCast does not have the UFC app and I don't want to use the "casting" option.

Sean
post #1948 of 2077 Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I purchased a Stream+ a few months back when I was having problems with my DVR+ but it is still in the box because the DVR+ is working fine now. The culprit was actually an HDMI cable gone bad.
Anyway, just wondering if it is possible to run the UFC TV app on the Stream+ ? And if anyone has tried, how does it work ? My new TV with ChromeCast does not have the UFC app and I don't want to use the "casting" option.
If you don't see "UFC TV" in the Play store, you'll need to pull the apk off a Fire TV or one of the apk websites and sideload it, in the same way we sideload the Prime Video app.
post #1949 of 2077 Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^
Thanks mdavej ! So it uses the Google Play Store just like any typical android device. The UFC TV app is in the google/android environment, so should be easy to set up. Perhaps it's time to retire the DVR+.

Sean
post #1950 of 2077 Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
^
Thanks mdavej ! So it uses the Google Play Store just like any typical android device. The UFC TV app is in the google/android environment, so should be easy to set up. Perhaps it's time to retire the DVR+.
It does, but not every app you might see in the store on another device (phone/tablet) will be available on the S+, like Netflix for example. You'll just have to look and see yourself on the S+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page