Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 684Likes

post #1981 of 2068 Old 02-16-2019, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there any hope for me? I’m watching Detroit locals from Canada. My Stream+ worked great with guide data and DVR functionality during most of December and then I lost the EPG and ability to schedule recordings in early Jan. I’m really hoping the EPG will return. Hoping Nick has some info. about an update that can fix this🤞. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2068 Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Live Channels Beta community moved to reddit.

FYI: discussions about Live Channels Beta, has moved from the deprecated Google + community, to reddit.

If you are interested please join at https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveChannelsBeta
Sam55 likes this.
post #1983 of 2068 Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Wouldn't you just know it?

Now that Netflix has put the kibosh on running a sideloaded app (which had been working just fine), along comes Amazon with a new build of Prime Video that finally streams without the audio drops or video stutters. Even 4K streams perfectly.

With Nick Chalko delivering continued improvements to Live Channels we could have had the dandy all-in-one device we hoped for.

Stupid Netflix.
JHBrandt likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2068 Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Wouldn't you just know it?

Now that Netflix has put the kibosh on running a sideloaded app (which had been working just fine), along comes Amazon with a new build of Prime Video that finally streams without the audio drops or video stutters. Even 4K streams perfectly.

With Nick Chalko delivering continued improvements to Live Channels we could have had the dandy all-in-one device we hoped for.

Stupid Netflix.
Do you have any additional info on the Netflix clamping down on sideloaded apps statement. This is the first I have heard of it and would like to get more info.
THX
post #1985 of 2068 Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Do you have any additional info on the Netflix clamping down on sideloaded apps statement. This is the first I have heard of it and would like to get more info.
THX
Try running Netflix as a side-load. You will get an error message saying that the program isn't approved for the device. This began to appear about last November.

--
Dan Shane

Last edited by danlshane; 02-21-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #1986 of 2068 Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 AM

I take it back. I tried watching Prime Video last night, and the dropouts returned with startling frequency. I guess Amazon really wants us to buy Fire sticks.

--
Dan Shane

post #1987 of 2068 Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Yesterday Channel Master sent me an email bragging that the Stream+ can now "Schedule Recordings up to 14 days in advance." Guess they didn't realize it's been able to do that for some time; what's new is being able to see the schedule up to 14 days in advance in the program guide! (Before, you had to search for the program you wanted to record; you couldn't just browse for it.)

Anyway, it's good Google finally has this working (sort of, depending on how many channels you have). Better (13 months) late than never.
post #1988 of 2068 Old 02-21-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Anyway, it's good Google finally has this working (sort of, depending on how many channels you have). Better (13 months) late than never.
You have to wonder how long Google is going to remain committed to this. Hard to see what their angle is or where they hope to make money off of Live Channels. That's what would scare me off the Stream+. Without Live Channels it is a bust compared to the other Android streaming boxes.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1989 of 2068 Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You have to wonder how long Google is going to remain committed to this. Hard to see what their angle is or where they hope to make money off of Live Channels. That's what would scare me off the Stream+. Without Live Channels it is a bust compared to the other Android streaming boxes.

Google's business model is to give away something in return for information about you. Android, the world's most successful mobile operating system is an example. It is still free to any manufacturer and it gets Google in the center of people's lives for data collection. Live Channels is just a feature of Android for Television, and Google wants dominance in that market as well.

If it's used sufficiently, then it's worth it for them to keep it operating.If, like Google+, it is not used very much then they'll dump it. It's all about eyeballs.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1990 of 2068 Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Amazon vs Google conflict continues, and I'm siding with Google as in the long run I think they have a better strategy, (not to mention Bezos is not being as responsible as he should be).

Amazon pulled the HDHomerun app from the Fire device App Store. If you already have it, your good, for now. http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-remov...verse-lawsuit/

If you are a new Fire TV device user, the only choice for adding OTA/DVR features is Recast, or a few less than good quality devices.

This is a response to Silicon Dust's Premium TV provider, Omniverse One, being sued by Amazon and other Studios for possibly not having the rights to provide the services Premium TV, as well as other last mile content providers, need.

As Premium TV is a very small percentage of HDHomeruns services, I would think there were other options to consider, however, pulling the app is beneficial to Amazon while they roll out Recast.

Last edited by merman9393; 02-22-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #1991 of 2068 Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like that lawsuit was merely an excuse for Amazon to do what they wanted to do anyway: close Fire TVs off to any competition to the Recast.

The courts will decide whether their allegations have merit, but they probably needed to allege some kind of wrongdoing; otherwise, pulling the app could have been seen as violating antitrust laws.
merman9393 likes this.
post #1992 of 2068 Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

I suspect there will be some kind of resolution for the last mile providers currently using Omniverse, but it will probably be an arrangement with AT&T, SlingTV or YTTV as a provider, similar to the MVNOs in the mobile market (Cricket, MetroPC, Republic, Google Fi, etc.)

Meanwhile, the HD Homerun app is still in the Google Play store for Android TV devices, including the Nvidia Shield, MiBox and Stream+. I agree with merman9393 that Google probably wins the competition if Amazon continues to lock down the ecosystem. But, that doesn't mean Amazon will fail. Apple became the biggest company in the world by having an extremely closed ecosystem.

I have my Stream+ hooked up to a flatwave antenna with about six channels coming in. I'm toying with the idea of joining the flatwave with a home made VHF dipole to bring in the high VHF signals I get here (ABC, CW, Fox and two independents). That will reduce the number of channels I can receive to under 100. Meanwhile, my HD Homerun app on the Stream+ works well to show me the other stations I'm missing. Still not perfect, and if the Stream+ gets the ability to display guide data based on the number of channels selected to be shown in the channel guide I'll switch back to the Stream+ on the big antenna.
merman9393 likes this.
post #1993 of 2068 Old 02-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
According to the official Reddit stream beta page, the beta currently under development will address the number of channels issue by freeing up memory. The program descriptions will be eliminated until you click that field.
I could do without the channel logos and the useless genre menu on the left as well.

Maybe the next stream ++ will have more ram.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
merman9393 likes this.
post #1994 of 2068 Old 02-24-2019, 11:44 AM

(chase play is being added also)

post #1995 of 2068 Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I added the Locast app to my iPhone when I realized they added support for the Washington DC area. Great idea, but, just not quite there yet. They stream local broadcast networks for a $5 a month "donation". https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/1...programming-tv

Roku seems to be the only Set Top Box supported, but Android TV should be added when the Roku exclusive commitment ends, and hopefully Stream+'s Google Play Store should have it available. For people in areas where obstructions restrict reception this will be a great addition. So far, only a few major cities have been supported, but once a few hurdles are overcome, I expect they will add other areas quickly. I wouldn't say the quality is as good as with a high quality antenna, but, as I mentioned, some folks just can't get reception regardless of antenna.

They operate within a legal loophole that, so far, has not angered the broadcast networks to take legal action. They are a non profit that accepts donations to maintain & operate the equipment necessary to provide the service.

I total supported the Aereo streaming service a decade ago that was shut down by the broadcasters, as it made a profit from re-broadcasting networks signals without licenses or fee agreements. Locast believes they are on solid legal footing, but understandably are cautious about their roll out plans.
post #1996 of 2068 Old 03-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
External file storage support

Wondering if the Stream+ supports external usb powered HDD such as the WD Elements series. Yes, I know it supports DVR storage but I am interested in home edited family videos, some of which are two hours long, necessitating NTFS. It would be ideal if it supported ISO files but I would be satisfied with mpeg 4 varieties.

I suppose I would have to use something like ES File Explorer to access the files. Wouldn't it be grand if there was an interface that, when an external drive was detected, would add tiles to the interface for one click playing? Perhaps dreaming just bit - but wouldn't that be great?

-=Ken=-

Last edited by KenJ58; 03-21-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
post #1997 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When you connect an HDD to the Stream+, it prompts you to format it and will only use one that it has formatted. So don't connect a drive with files on it.

That said, you could connect it to your laptop/desktop and use a great app I use called Videostream to stream literally any video format to your TV. I use it all the time and have yet to find a format it doesn't support.
post #1998 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJ58 View Post
Wondering if the Stream+ supports external usb powered HDD such as the WD Elements series. Yes, I know it supports DVR storage but I am interested in home edited family videos, some of which are two hours long, necessitating NTFS. It would be ideal if it supported ISO files but I would be satisfied with mpeg 4 varieties.

I suppose I would have to use something like ES File Explorer to access the files. Wouldn't it be grand if there was an interface that, when an external drive was detected, would add tiles to the interface for one click playing? Perhaps dreaming just bit - but wouldn't that be great?

-=Ken=-

You can use the connected drive for either DVR storage and nothing else, or as attached storage that other apps can access across your network. For instance, I had used my drive to store recordings from the HD Homerun DVR service on, and the HD Homerun app was able to see it and use it for it's storage.

The limitation I had at the time is that the Stream+ kept getting disconnected from the network, and this was using a wired ethernet connection. Removing and then re-inserting the ethernet cable restored the connection so that the drive showed up on the network and apps like Youtube could access the Internet. That bug may have been fixed (the Stream+ is ... thank God ... not my primary DVR or streamer so I can tolerate the bugs better than someone who is actually using it for daily viewing).
post #1999 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
You can use the connected drive for either DVR storage and nothing else, or as attached storage that other apps can access across your network. For instance, I had used my drive to store recordings from the HD Homerun DVR service on, and the HD Homerun app was able to see it and use it for it's storage.
Thank you @fshagan for the additional information. However, I still don't know if I can use the Stream+ as a media player by plugging in an NTFS HDD with mpeg 4 home videos and playing them easily. Perhaps you are saying NO by exclusion?
-=Ken=-
post #2000 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you @fshagan for the additional information. However, I still don't know if I can use the Stream+ as a media player by plugging in an NTFS HDD with mpeg 4 home videos and playing them easily. Perhaps you are saying NO by exclusion?
-=Ken=-
Put simply, no you cannot.

--
Dan Shane

post #2001 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Put simply, no you cannot.
Thank you danishane. It looks like the only Android TV box that will do what I want is the nvidia Android TV box. Dang! Too expensive. Still looking around. -=Ken=-
post #2002 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
-=Ken=-

i have one easystore wd, you can buy an app in play store, i guess for 5 dollars for read ntfs hard drives, with app you able to see media files of hard drive, but only way to see those files and play them , its opening app and browsing files there.
post #2003 of 2068 Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
The Stream+ does not. However, do you have a BD player attached to that TV? I have a circa 2012 BD player with a front USB port that accepts a 2TB portable USB HDD containing .m2ts and MKV video files. It shows me the list and I can pick and play. My player is old so it only handles up to 2TB HDD's with MBR partitions. Newer ones should support GUID (GPT) for bigger drives.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2004 of 2068 Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 AM

My wifi router has USB ports for a printer and hard drive. The drive is accessible from every device on the network, including my stream+ on ethernet and Android phones and tablets . I'd steer clear of es file explorer given their track record. Vlc is my current choice for player, although Kodi gui might be to your liking. If you have your computer on the network you can share folders from its drive as well.

post #2005 of 2068 Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Thank you to those who have continued to post responses to my question here. I am a disgruntled aging geek who simply doesn't want to fiddle with complicated setups anymore. Since the Stream+ doesn't natively support external NTFS HDDs as a media player it has to be rejected. The built-in tuner is intriguing since I am a cord cutter. I use a deep fringe UHF yagi antenna and Channel Master's outstanding mast mounted amplifier to bring in about a dozen useful OTA stations. Sometimes I think I will just build my own Ryzen powered mini PC and use the Android-x86 OS. If I have to spend more money I want it to work exactly the way I think it should. Thanks again everyone. -=Ken=-

Last edited by KenJ58; 03-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #2006 of 2068 Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
again you can but you need app! i buy it and works perfectly in my case i prefer use it plugged to my router because with this app you only can see a simple list without pics and details (movies in my case) instead using it via router.

about antenna for my experiencie built in tuner of stream+ its weaker if you compare to others , tv, usb atsc tuner, pci tuners.
post #2007 of 2068 Old 03-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
-=Ken=-

I'm not sure that you can't use it to store your home media. You would need an application that can access a drive on the network, like the HD Homerun does, to access the videos. For example, you may be able to designate the drive for Plex or Kodi to use to store your media, then in the Stream+ choose that app to stream the videos.

The HD Homerun app can do it, so I think there are probably others that can as well.
post #2008 of 2068 Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Native support of the windows nt filesystem on the Android derivative of Linux depends on who paid macrohard for driver patents. Seems Nvidia and Samsung did. For the rest there's stickmount, total commander with usb plug in, Nexus media importer etc.
Apple's hfs would also be problematic.

JHBrandt and arbegas like this.
post #2009 of 2068 Old 03-24-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Thank you to those who have continued to post responses to my question here. I am a disgruntled aging geek who simply doesn't want to fiddle with complicated setups anymore. Since the Stream+ doesn't natively support external NTFS HDDs as a media player it has to be rejected. The built-in tuner is intriguing since I am a cord cutter. I use a deep fringe UHF yagi antenna and Channel Master's outstanding mast mounted amplifier to bring in about a dozen useful OTA stations. Sometimes I think I will just build my own Ryzen powered mini PC and use the Android-x86 OS. If I have to spend more money I want it to work exactly the way I think it should. Thanks again everyone. -=Ken=-
won't a microSD card will work? I think that is what I have working. USB HDD for recording. microSD for personal files. I then use VLC to access and play the files
post #2010 of 2068 Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It sounded to me like @KenJ58 already has videos on one or more NTFS HDDs, and wanted a simple media player app to play them on the Stream+, without first having to copy them to FAT32, ext4, or what have you. So if I understand him correctly, the microSD slot is useless for his purpose.

@arbegas got closest to the goal, I think, with an NTFS driver app; although it wasn't free, KenJ58 could use it together with a file explorer app to do what he wants.

But that won't be as simple as KenJ58 thinks it should be. I sort of agree; as I said before, both NTFS compatibility and a simple media player app seem like no-brainers for any Android TV device. If I had to buy a high-end box like the nVidia Shield to get basic functionality like that, I'd stick with my lowly iView.

Personally, though, I wouldn't reject the Stream+ on that basis alone, unless I were already teetering on the edge. It's not that hard to add what's needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page