Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 689Likes

post #2011 of 2077 Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
This is way more complicated than it needs to be. Plug the drive into another device (PC, laptop, etc.), and stream it via an app. Doesn't matter whether it's NFTS or not.
mat55555 and Baymavision like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2077 Old 04-09-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It's losing me

I keep checking back to hopefully see someone has found a workaround for the Netflix issue (besides using kodi) or even a mention that the stream + will now have support for Netflix and Prime video. No luck. I understand it's not Channel Master that is the hold up, but it's been over a year this device has been out and it's kind of a big deal. After they initially released it and said support for these services was all but inevitable it's kind of a let down that it hasn't happened yet. Support just says to contact the services and request support for the stream + which seems a bit weird. Adding in that there hasn't been any mention of android version updates, things are looking grim.

My shield paired with an hd homerun connect has blow this thing out of the water. The entry price vs feature set is not comparable at $150. The shield itself is only a bit more expensive and if you would have to buy a tuner even more so, but after working with the stream + I believe it is well worth the cost.

I had such high hopes for a cheaper version of a tv enabled android streaming device and at the price point I joined in at, it can still be deemed "worth it". Unfortunately without these streaming services or software updates I can't see this thing lasting too long.
post #2013 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin296 View Post
I keep checking back to hopefully see someone has found a workaround for the Netflix issue (besides using kodi) or even a mention that the stream + will now have support for Netflix and Prime video. No luck.

I had such high hopes for a cheaper version of a tv enabled android streaming device and at the price point I joined in at, it can still be deemed "worth it". Unfortunately without these streaming services or software updates I can't see this thing lasting too long.
I'm surprised it has lasted this long considering its only real benefit over a Roku, Fire stick, etc., is the OTA DVR capability (which has seen some improved features thanks to Nick Chalko and team). As an all-in-one device it just never met expectations.

But CM isn't the only loser in the Google/Netflix/Prime Video wars; it was just announced that Netflix is now dropping support for Apple TV, and that's a real punch to the gut of the Cupertino faithful. We won't be the only ones relying on smart TV apps for our Netflix fix.
kevin296 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
If CM history is any indication the Stream+ will likely never see an official Netflix or Prime app. It will be sold and promoted on their web site with minimal support from CM until the stock runs out. Then they'll dump it and move on as if it never existed. You get what you pay for.
richart likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2015 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
But CM isn't the only loser in the Google/Netflix/Prime Video wars; it was just announced that Netflix is now dropping support for Apple TV, and that's a real punch to the gut of the Cupertino faithful.
Just dropping airplay -- there will still be an app on the devices.
post #2016 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Just dropping airplay -- there will still be an app on the devices.
Thanks for the correction.

I'm not in the Apple environment, so I'm unfamiliar with how their devices and services work outside of Mac OS and iOS. But it is another example of how nothing in the online world lasts forever (if it ever, indeed, actually gets started). I still buy CDs, DVDs, and BDs for my media library. No one can take away what I claim to own just by pulling a virtual plug.

--
Dan Shane

post #2017 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Just a heads up that I'm deleting the apk's I was hosting on my google drive since I got rid of my Stream+. If you want any of them, grab them in the next few days.
post #2018 of 2077 Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
No one can take away what I claim to own just by pulling a virtual plug.
It is a lesson that many of the millennials won't learn until it is too late.
ppasteur and kevin296 like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2019 of 2077 Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Google Amazon truce...Amazon Prime coming to all Android TV devices

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amaz...to-android-tv/

Looks like hell has frozen over as Google and Amazon have agreed to allow the official You Tube app to return to Fire TV, and, to allow Amazon Prine Video app to be on all Android TV's.

See above article.

This is a huge deal, and one Potential Stream+ purchasers have listed as a factor for ultimately not getting the device.
If CM puts all their efforts on Netflix authorization, could Stream+ survive? I hope so, (even though I no longer own any), I want to see them succeed.
JHBrandt, arbegas and pilotart like this.

Last edited by merman9393; 04-19-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #2020 of 2077 Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone have issues with the ESPN app freezing up? It comes in nice and clear compared to roku, but then it will act as if theres not enough bandwidth. But I dont have issues streaming vudu for example. On my roku, espn never freezes, but it isnt a sharp picture like the stream+. I would like uninterrupted streaming like the roku, but with the clear picture quality through stream+.
post #2021 of 2077 Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
It sounds like the Stream+ app is trying to stream a higher-quality (and hence higher-bandwidth) ESPN feed, but there's a bottleneck somewhere along the path that doesn't happen with Vudu. It could be at the ESPN server, but that seems unlikely. Or it could be due to your ISP throttling ESPN.
post #2022 of 2077 Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by therabbit78 View Post
Anyone have issues with the ESPN app freezing up? It comes in nice and clear compared to roku, but then it will act as if theres not enough bandwidth. But I dont have issues streaming vudu for example. On my roku, espn never freezes, but it isnt a sharp picture like the stream+. I would like uninterrupted streaming like the roku, but with the clear picture quality through stream+.

You get ESPN?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #2023 of 2077 Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It sounds like the Stream+ app is trying to stream a higher-quality (and hence higher-bandwidth) ESPN feed, but there's a bottleneck somewhere along the path that doesn't happen with Vudu. It could be at the ESPN server, but that seems unlikely. Or it could be due to your ISP throttling ESPN.
The interesting thing that I've learned, is that even ESPN on the Roku is bad quality...in terms of the picture quality. It will hold the stream steady in comparison to the stream+, but it is still grainy. Using the firestick, however, provides a clear picture. I didn't realize ESPN on Roku was that bad until I viewed the stream with firestick.

TNT is clear on Roku, not offered via stream+, and not that watchable on the firestick. So, I just have to pick amongst different devices to get the best stream across channels.
post #2024 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Chase play seems to be working on the new beta. Not from the DVR menu as Nick described, but tune to the channel being recorded and press pause or whatever key brings up the play control bar underneath. Then rewind to the start.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #2025 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 04:21 PM

Pause tv works, Chase play a little convoluted.

The program descriptions have been removed from the guide until a field is highlighted.

Still only 6 days data for me.

I've switched to a harmony 665 remote, seemed to work well once I became accustomed to it. Ir only, no Bluetooth.
I'll have to setup some macros that will change tv input and switch the remote to that device on hot keys maybe.

Last edited by mat55555; 04-30-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #2026 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
Chase play seems to be working on the new beta. Not from the DVR menu as Nick described, but tune to the channel being recorded and press pause or whatever key brings up the play control bar underneath. Then rewind to the start.

Please excuse my ignorance... the latest beta of what. Chase play is one of the last things keeping me from ditching my old DirecTV DVR... an saving ~$45 per month.
So this is exciting, but still.. Beta of what? (channels dvr maybe??)
post #2027 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Please excuse my ignorance... the latest beta of what. Chase play is one of the last things keeping me from ditching my old DirecTV DVR... an saving ~$45 per month.
So this is exciting, but still.. Beta of what? (channels dvr maybe??)
Google live channels beta program. You join from a link on the app in the play store.

post #2028 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 05:37 PM

A bit of cancel:restate, tried it on a scheduled recording that just started and can't get chase play to work. The previous test was on a recording started from the pop-up blue menu while watching.

So this is more of a pause live TV option, at least until the next update. It's progress, anywho.

post #2029 of 2077 Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 PM

I'd probably hold off and see what Android TV devices are in the works. The stream+ could use more RAM and a faster chip.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...-future-plans/

Maybe an Nvidia shield redux?

post #2030 of 2077 Old 05-01-2019, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone having issues getting the Network icons to show up? I’ve had it work a few times but seems to stop working each time after an update is pushed out. V1.19 is no different, no icons. Tried factory reset and changing app permissions. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2031 of 2077 Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm having all kinds of problems with my Stream+. It keeps losing my channels and I have to re-add them by hand (re-scanning doesn't work). It has trouble recording full episodes, says signals are weak when they are great, shows a black screen or "fights" on the DRM handshake with my newer Onkyo receiver (which I think is rubbish to boot - and it's my 5th one over 15+ years so that's saying something).

It's too late to return it I think, but it's been a real lemon for us, especially since we are now OTA + SVOD only.

I emailed support again to let them know it keeps deleting our channels (again) and the whining from them last time (a few weeks ago) that it's "Google's problem," borders on farce.

I just found this thread, so I will read it more, but it might be a while with over 2k posts.
post #2032 of 2077 Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
tuner sucks. its weak. ota side its not good at all
post #2033 of 2077 Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Which is sad considering CM is traditionally an OTA mfg. Here's their latest reply. I'll give them the info on my USB HD later.

Quote:
We aren't sure what the cause of that bug is that hides channels, but the information that I previously sent over is how you can go back in and un-hide the stations. This is something that Google is currently working to get resolved with the next software update.

Typically when you are seeing something like this it's because the hard drive is bad, or there is a compatibility issue. What kind of hard drive are you using? What size is the hard drive?
post #2034 of 2077 Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post
I'm having all kinds of problems with my Stream+. It keeps losing my channels and I have to re-add them by hand (re-scanning doesn't work). It has trouble recording full episodes, says signals are weak when they are great, shows a black screen or "fights" on the DRM handshake with my newer Onkyo receiver (which I think is rubbish to boot - and it's my 5th one over 15+ years so that's saying something).
This probably isn't the answer you are hoping for, but I would recommend a factory reset of the unit. I had a similar problem and the clean reset fixed it.
Falcon_77 and JHBrandt like this.

--
Dan Shane

post #2035 of 2077 Old 05-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Live Channels beta 1.21 adds more days for those of us with more than 100 stations and sets the stage for chase play. Shield users are seeing the chase play functionality, but the Stream+ will also need a tuner update. I assume that comes from the Channel Master side. When 1.21 is released to the wild then we can probably expect a Channel Master update a few days later (if history is any guide).

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveChannel...eta_in_qa_now/
post #2036 of 2077 Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
When 1.21 is released to the wild then we can probably expect a Channel Master update a few days later (if history is any guide).
I thought history has shown the Stream+ updates have become few and far between.

- kelson h

post #2037 of 2077 Old 05-07-2019, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I thought history has shown the Stream+ updates have become few and far between.

When they are required to do an update to the tuner for a new feature to be added to Live Channels it has always been done within a couple of days.
Baymavision likes this.
post #2038 of 2077 Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm generally pleased with our Stream + - I've owned it for about 2 months now. The whole Netflix thing is amazingly silly - I can't even Chromecast Netflix from my phone TO the Channel Master. I rarely watch Netflix anyway, (my wife pays for it mostly for the benefit of our adult children who watch it) so it's not a big loss.

Couple issues with the Stream+ that I've encountered

Channel Guide - this is great when it works - sometimes I have days of advance channel listings, which then will inexplicably suddenly shrink to 6 or 7 hours. We get ~70 OTA channels here - not sure if that's the issue or what.

Closed Captions - most stations they ARE available with the CM, but there are exceptions. One of our favorite OTA channels is Heroes and Icons Network (H&I). Thru both of our TV tuners, this network HAS working closed captions readily available; and both TVs are 5+ years old (one is going on 10 years old - so it's not like it's the latest tech here)

But with the Channel Master, inexplicably no closed captions are available for H&I. Movies! network also - closed captions show on the TV tuners, but NOT on the CM

We get closed captions with the CM on other stations. My wife has hearing issues and greatly prefers closed captions - is there any fix for this also?
post #2039 of 2077 Old 05-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i try recording some shows in my stream + but im getting full hard drive when not, its a micro sd of 64gb. only fulled with 30% of capacity.
post #2040 of 2077 Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
i try recording some shows in my stream + but im getting full hard drive when not, its a micro sd of 64gb. only fulled with 30% of capacity.

Channel Master now recommends a USB hard drive for storing content.

SD cards are often mislabeled, so you can't go by the label on the SD card. You can try putting the SD card into a computer, reformatting it, and writing a lot of files to it. In many cases you'll find the 64 GB drive only takes a fraction of that. The fakes do a good job of fooling the OS into reporting the larger size, and even the incorrect percentage of free space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page