Originally Posted by darkbasic
Hello. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find exactly where to. I needed some input from owners of this OTA DVR.
I currently have a cheapy ViewTV OTA DVR that serves my needs, but I want something a little better, something more reliable. Had some questions that I couldn't find answers to.
1. Can you start and stop recordings at will? Or can you only set them in advance?
2. When setting a recording in advance, can you edit the times for it to record? From 11:20 AM to 11:45 AM for example? Or does it just record the whole show automatically?
3. Can the recordings/files be accessed with a computer? With my ViewTV, I just disconnect the USB flash drive and I can see the files as MTS files on my PC.
4. Does it work well with USB flash drives? I have a few with fast write speeds that work fantastic on my ViewTV.
1. While watching a program you can start recording it. You can stop recording it at any time.
2. You can't edit the times directly for future shows; it sets the times by the guide data.
3. You cannot easily access the files without knowing how to hack the Android file system. It has been done, but it isn't easy.
4. No, USB drives haven't been reliable in my experience. It has a microSD slot too, but that has proven problematic for storing recordings. CM now recommends a USB hard drive. My experience is that a separately powered USB hard drive is better than one being powered through the port, but others have made it work.
The HDHomerun Duo I have saves files in a format you can access and copy over but they are pretty complex to set up. Their parent company, Silicone Dust, just announced the Scribe Duo that is worth a look: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomer...?skuId=6354194
Other than that, most of the others encrypt the shows you record (Amazon Recast, any of the Android TV devices, etc.)