Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 697Likes

post #2071 of 2135 Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
Hello. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find exactly where to. I needed some input from owners of this OTA DVR.

I currently have a cheapy ViewTV OTA DVR that serves my needs, but I want something a little better, something more reliable. Had some questions that I couldn't find answers to.

1. Can you start and stop recordings at will? Or can you only set them in advance?

2. When setting a recording in advance, can you edit the times for it to record? From 11:20 AM to 11:45 AM for example? Or does it just record the whole show automatically?

3. Can the recordings/files be accessed with a computer? With my ViewTV, I just disconnect the USB flash drive and I can see the files as MTS files on my PC.

4. Does it work well with USB flash drives? I have a few with fast write speeds that work fantastic on my ViewTV.

Thank you.

1. While watching a program you can start recording it. You can stop recording it at any time.

2. You can't edit the times directly for future shows; it sets the times by the guide data.
3. You cannot easily access the files without knowing how to hack the Android file system. It has been done, but it isn't easy.
4. No, USB drives haven't been reliable in my experience. It has a microSD slot too, but that has proven problematic for storing recordings. CM now recommends a USB hard drive. My experience is that a separately powered USB hard drive is better than one being powered through the port, but others have made it work.

The HDHomerun Duo I have saves files in a format you can access and copy over but they are pretty complex to set up. Their parent company, Silicone Dust, just announced the Scribe Duo that is worth a look: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomer...?skuId=6354194

Other than that, most of the others encrypt the shows you record (Amazon Recast, any of the Android TV devices, etc.)
Baymavision likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2135 Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much for that informative reply.

The ViewTV I have works alright, just needed something basic, no frills with a duel tuner, start/stop recordings on the fly, and access to the files.
post #2073 of 2135 Old 07-07-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 207
BULLETIN!

Latest Prime Video APK for Android TV finally solves the audio and video stuttering on the Stream+. No 4K support (yet), but HD video is sharp as can be with no buffering required at program start. It's now my first choice for Prime Video streaming.

Netflix is still disapproved and will not play on our devices. It's a shame since side-loaded Netflix used to perform quite well before the company began blocking it.
JHBrandt likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2135 Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
BULLETIN!

Latest Prime Video APK for Android TV finally solves the audio and video stuttering on the Stream+. No 4K support (yet), but HD video is sharp as can be with no buffering required at program start. It's now my first choice for Prime Video streaming.

Netflix is still disapproved and will not play on our devices. It's a shame since side-loaded Netflix used to perform quite well before the company began blocking it.
The rumour is that the official Prime Video app for Android TV/Stream+, is going to hit the Google Play store by end of the day.

The official YouYube app for Fire TV is in the Amazon App Store for some Fire TV devices now, if you already had the official app before Google pulled it, it may just populate in your available apps. This was the agreement reached between Amazon & Google to end their year long disagreements over YouTube and Prime.

Now, if only Netflix would would get over themselves and join the party.
post #2075 of 2135 Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
The rumour is that the official Prime Video app for Android TV/Stream+, is going to hit the Google Play store by end of the day.

The official YouYube app for Fire TV is in the Amazon App Store for some Fire TV devices now, if you already had the official app before Google pulled it, it may just populate in your available apps. This was the agreement reached between Amazon & Google to end their year long disagreements over YouTube and Prime.

Now, if only Netflix would would get over themselves and join the party.
Too little, too late. Upgraded my TV, and all the streaming apps I use are available there.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #2076 of 2135 Old 07-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Too little, too late. Upgraded my TV, and all the streaming apps I use are available there.
I also use the built-in apps on my LG smart TVs if I really feel the need for 4K, but both of them are older sets with minimal (or no) updates to the streaming apps. You may find that to be the case for you down the road, but hopefully not.

The Android TV apps on my Stream+ get regular updates, and I suspect that open platform will invite continued support for some time to come. Maybe even 4K will appear for Prime Video at some point, though I would be hard pressed to see any difference from the ultra-sharp HD picture I'm getting on the S+ now.

If Netflix ever decides to add the Stream+ to their approved device list I would never have to change inputs again except for Blu-ray viewing.
merman9393 and Baymavision like this.

--
Dan Shane

post #2077 of 2135 Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post

Anyone have this yet? I still show the official Prime Video app as unavailable for the Stream+.
post #2078 of 2135 Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone, I received one of the Channel Master Stream+ pre-release units. I've had no problems up until returning from vacation. When I watch TV I'm getting audio popping, audio drop outs, skips in audio and video an occasional full color rastor noise display. The software is up to date, I've reset the unit multiple times but I have not performed a factory reset. The attached USB solid state drive is not full. I've searched the symptoms on google but not found any solutions.

Has anyone else seen this?
post #2079 of 2135 Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
you try with other tv? or other hdmi cable?
post #2080 of 2135 Old 08-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Problems with channelmaster playback

I have the CM-7600 unit and it is hooked up to an OTA antenna. I set it to record shows. When I start playback on a show at some point in the playback it stops and kicks itself back to the beginning of the recorded show. I can fast forward past the point where this happened and there is content there. Any help understanding why it does this? Thanks.

Brian
post #2081 of 2135 Old 08-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hulu

So... since I saw Hulu finally updated the android version of it's app I decided to check if it somehow passed down to the stream plus. I tried to open Hulu and it is said Hulu couldn't start. I tried to clear the data. Same issue. I uninstalled Hulu and, surprise! Hulu is no longer available. Anyone else notice if Hulu has been removed from the Stream plus? Kinda getting more disappointing instead of better.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2082 of 2135 Old 08-04-2019, 04:55 PM

i just get one stream + for 65 in ebay , also one nvidia shield for 90 whats bargain, its hard to find so cheap.

but support from nvidia vs channel master its night and day , there its many pluses with shield.
post #2083 of 2135 Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
I'm curious if anyone has gone through an FCC channel repack with the Stream+ and how Live Channels has handled it. i.e. how long did it take for the guide data to match up properly with the new channels.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2084 of 2135 Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm curious if anyone has gone through an FCC channel repack with the Stream+ and how Live Channels has handled it. i.e. how long did it take for the guide data to match up properly with the new channels.
Our local area repack is scheduled for next month (September), so I'll be checking this myself.

--
Dan Shane

post #2085 of 2135 Old 08-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The guide data in my Stream+ was accurate from the time I rescanned the channels. But the Stream+ is on an attic antenna and only brings in a few channels, and only two of the channels moved.
post #2086 of 2135 Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anyone had any issues with an LG 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV recognizing a Stream+ ? No one at either Channel Master or LG have heard anything about this issue...
I've tried the usual fixes (different HDMI cable, factory reset, etc) to no avail. When I first power on the TV after resetting it, it shows the CM Home screen, then it blacks out, saying it doesn't recognize something (I think it said the format type, but it was so fast I couldn't make note of it).

My Sony that's 10+ years old has absolutely no problem with it, so I know it's working...
post #2087 of 2135 Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajatrvlr View Post
Has anyone had any issues with an LG 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV recognizing a Stream+ ? No one at either Channel Master or LG have heard anything about this issue...
I own two LG 4K TVs (one LED and one OLED), and both work well with the connected Stream+ devices. Both are channeled through an Onkyo A/V receiver on HDMI1 input. I did need to upgrade my HDMI cables for them to work with the new Onkyos.

I also needed to disable CEC on the TV and Stream+ for reliable device recognition.

--
Dan Shane

post #2088 of 2135 Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
I own two LG 4K TVs (one LED and one OLED), and both work well with the connected Stream+ devices. Both are channeled through an Onkyo A/V receiver on HDMI1 input. I did need to upgrade my HDMI cables for them to work with the new Onkyos.

I also needed to disable CEC on the TV and Stream+ for reliable device recognition.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term CEC, could you elaborate?
post #2089 of 2135 Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term CEC, could you elaborate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum...ronics_Control

google
post #2090 of 2135 Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Thank you, I should have known that.
post #2091 of 2135 Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM

All's well...

It didn't occur to me that I needed any different HDMI cables, but I did purchase 4K cables from Amazon and just like that, the Stream+ fired right up. I must be getting old...
Anyway, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
post #2092 of 2135 Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It didn't occur to me that I needed any different HDMI cables, but I did purchase 4K cables from Amazon and just like that, the Stream+ fired right up. I must be getting old...
Anyway, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
Glad you got it sorted. New HDMI standards are pretty picky these days.

--
Dan Shane

post #2093 of 2135 Old 08-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
The guide data in my Stream+ was accurate from the time I rescanned the channels. But the Stream+ is on an attic antenna and only brings in a few channels, and only two of the channels moved.

The guide data matched up straight away, but Live Channels treats the rescanned channels as new channels. So, in my case, anything I had set up to record on NBC, will not record. I have had to set up each show again. That's going to be a pain when the new season starts in the coming months.
post #2094 of 2135 Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Issue with Live Channels and Pluto TV

Ever since Pluto TV did a channel remapping I am getting duplicate listings of all channels. While I can go in and uncheck them, it has become overwhelming with over 645 now listed. I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling but I still get the duplicates? Any thoughts on how to clear this out to only get the actual channels which show a description?
post #2095 of 2135 Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 PM

there its a part in live channel where you can choose what channels are available, Chanel list
post #2096 of 2135 Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
there its a part in live channel where you can choose what channels are available, Chanel list
I can get to that screen to uncheck it, but each Pluto channel is show 4 times, even if I uninstall and reinstall the app. Every time they add a new channel it adds everything in duplicate to the list.
post #2097 of 2135 Old 08-23-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
I wonder if removing Pluto as a channel provider and adding it back would fix it?
post #2098 of 2135 Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
HDD suggestions

Sorry, I skimmed several pages, and searched this now 70 pg thread.
It does appear a powered HDD is recommended vs a USB powered drive.

Any (cheap) Suggestions? I think a 1TB should be more than enough for my needs; this is a backup to my streaming/cloud dvr.

Also can anyone recommend a hdmi spliter/composite output device? I'd like to take the hdmi out of the s+; split it to the local tv; and send a signal to a modulator to broadcast to older tv's in my house.
post #2099 of 2135 Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
Sorry, I skimmed several pages, and searched this now 70 pg thread.
It does appear a powered HDD is recommended vs a USB powered drive.

Any (cheap) Suggestions?
I use a 1-TB Western Digital Passport USB-powered drive on both of my Stream+ units with never a problem. An A/C powered drive might reduce heat from the S+, but I have never experienced any overheating on mine.

I have also tested 7200-RPM, 500-GB SATA drives harvested from laptops inserted into USB enclosures, and again these work perfectly. No need to over-invest in fancy HDD units.

--
Dan Shane

post #2100 of 2135 Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
AIUI, it's a "YMMV" situation; a USB-powered HDD may work fine, or not, depending on both the HDD itself and manufacturing variations in the Stream+ and its power supply.

If you'd rather not take a chance, I'd just get a cheap HDD "dock" from NewEgg or Amazon. A one- (or even two-) drive dock shouldn't cost over $30. Then, plug the "bare" HDD of your choice into it, et voila! Don't get too hung up on the HDD's specs. 5400 vs. 7200 RPM, 8MB vs. 16MB cache, etc. won't matter for simple video recording.

The one thing that could matter is reliability; if that's important, you could fork over a bit more ($70) for a RAID 1 (mirroring) 2-drive enclosure and two identical "bare" HDDs. (Actually, you should get three so you have a spare handy.) Then, if one fails, just replace it and let the enclosure clone the good HDD over to the replacement automatically.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page