Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

post #2131 of 2301 Old 10-06-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
All that said, I've never seen a 2-way splitter with a 6-7dB loss. That's enormous and something you would never really see unless the splitter was made of wood.

I have found that using the wrong splitter can make a difference. I don't know how much loss was happening, but a two-way splitter rated for 5-2500 MHz performed significantly worse on my system than a normal OTA splitter at 5-1000 MHz. I haven't seen a difference in PQ from the various 5-1000MHz splitters I've used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2301 Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I have found that using the wrong splitter can make a difference. I don't know how much loss was happening, but a two-way splitter rated for 5-2500 MHz performed significantly worse on my system than a normal OTA splitter at 5-1000 MHz. I haven't seen a difference in PQ from the various 5-1000MHz splitters I've used.
That's a weird statement, as a splitter rated for 5-2500MHzn passes a larger spectrum.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #2133 of 2301 Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3309 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
All my splitters are 2GHz because I use Moca. Haven't noticed any difference compared to my old 1GHz splitters.

@Kelson
Sorry, I have no experience with Moca rated amps. My system works fine without any amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2301 Old 10-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Cord Cutter News states that Hulu is pulling support for the ChannelMaster Stream+

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu...ng-android-tv/
post #2135 of 2301 Old 10-16-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I was hoping to enjoy watching the Packers come back against the Lions Tuesday night after setting up the recording for Monday Night Football. To my dismay, it recorded for the full time but the whole recording was a static Fox logo. It seems that ESPN and MNF football have somehow pre-empted recordings. It feels a little "Big Brotherish". Really disappointing. If I had known, I might have stayed up and watched the game... but I have to get up for work at 4am.

Sean
post #2136 of 2301 Old 10-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
I see your location listed as "Packer Country". Are you sure the game wasn't just blacked out for your area?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2137 of 2301 Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^
No blackout. It was re-broadcast on the local Fox station. I watched the first few minutes.

Sean
post #2138 of 2301 Old 10-20-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had to run a tuner re-scan recently because the local CBS station (5-1 & 5-2) made an update to their equipment and may have also changed frequency. While scanning, the CBS channels show up in the running list of scanned channels and it shows 25 channels found. However, when the scan finishes, the CBS channels are missing and I only have 23 channels. I ran the re-scan two more times with the same result. When I did the tuner re-scan with my TV, it worked fine and CBS comes thru with full signal strength.
Has anyone else had a similar issue ? I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to contact CM.

Sean
post #2139 of 2301 Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
While scanning, the CBS channels show up in the running list of scanned channels and it shows 25 channels found. However, when the scan finishes, the CBS channels are missing and I only have 23 channels.
Phase 6 of the FCC-demanded UHF repack happened last Friday, so a lot of channels shifted to new frequencies.

I'm betting you need to check your customized list of channels on your Stream+. When I performed my rescan a couple of moved channels were unchecked in my list.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #2140 of 2301 Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Channel Guide in Canada

Anybody got the channel guide (with logos) to work? I'm in Canada (outside Toronto) and have had them working TWICE since I got the Stream+. Subsequent updates to Live Channels broke it. I used a zip code in Lewiston NY (14092) that picked up virtually all guide icons and programming. I've tried factory resets & checking permissions for the app, but have not been able to get back the icons and downloaded guide data for several months. Only the PSIP OTA data is being populated, and even then only when I select the channel for viewing.

Any suggestions?
post #2141 of 2301 Old 10-21-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Phase 6 of the FCC-demanded UHF repack happened last Friday, so a lot of channels shifted to new frequencies.

I'm betting you need to check your customized list of channels on your Stream+. When I performed my rescan a couple of moved channels were unchecked in my list.
Thanks Dan... Where do I find the "customized list" ? I looked at all the settings again and could not find this option. I was hoping to hide some of the channels that don't interest me.

...Never mind... I found it. I did not realize there were extra settings available while in "live channel" mode.

Sean

Last edited by stash64; 10-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #2142 of 2301 Old 10-22-2019, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Thanks Dan... Where do I find the "customized list" ? I looked at all the settings again and could not find this option. I was hoping to hide some of the channels that don't interest me.

...Never mind... I found it. I did not realize there were extra settings available while in "live channel" mode.
Yeah, that feature is not obvious. Did you identify your missing channels?

--
Dan Shane

post #2143 of 2301 Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^
Yes... you were spot on. I selected all on the customized list and the missing channels are back. I then went back and hid the unwanted channels.

Sean
post #2144 of 2301 Old 10-23-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been reading about the requirements for Disney+ and learned about Widevine certificates. Does anyone know what level certificate the Stream+ has? Or does anyone know how to sideload the DRMinfo app from the Google App Store into the Stream+ to find out? Thanks!
post #2145 of 2301 Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baymavision View Post
I've been reading about the requirements for Disney+ and learned about Widevine certificates. Does anyone know what level certificate the Stream+ has? Or does anyone know how to sideload the DRMinfo app from the Google App Store into the Stream+ to find out? Thanks!
This post has what it originally shipped with but I'd recommend installing the app and seeing what version they have now:

Quote:
There's an APP in the Play Store you can add to show some of the security details, "DRM Info". When installed it gives you information about the supported HDCP levels, DRM, etc.

Widevine Security Level = L1
Max HDCP level supported = HDCP-2.2
MicroSoft Playready DRM = supported
Adobe DRM = not supported
Marlin DRM = not supported
Verimatrix VCAS = not supported
CNEC ClearKey = supported
post #2146 of 2301 Old 10-24-2019, 11:25 AM

It still has L1, thanks!

It's funny, considering how many apps aren't in the store on the Stream+, I hadn't even looked and just assumed it wouldn't be there. It was and did it's job.

Now I just hope that Disney+ will work.
post #2147 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Channel Guide in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator1 View Post
Anybody got the channel guide (with logos) to work? I'm in Canada (outside Toronto) and have had them working TWICE since I got the Stream+. Subsequent updates to Live Channels broke it. I used a zip code in Lewiston NY (14092) that picked up virtually all guide icons and programming. I've tried factory resets & checking permissions for the app, but have not been able to get back the icons and downloaded guide data for several months. Only the PSIP OTA data is being populated, and even then only when I select the channel for viewing.

Any suggestions?
I have the same problem, i live in Laval, Quebec
I installed the Stream+ this september 27 every thing worked OK. I haved the tv guide with the Logo of each channel, but since a week i lost the logo and the tv guide.
I re initialise the Stream+ and same thing.

If anyone has a solution, I'm listening.
post #2148 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucdelaC View Post
I have the same problem, i live in Laval, Quebec
I installed the Stream+ this september 27 every thing worked OK. I haved the tv guide with the Logo of each channel, but since a week i lost the logo and the tv guide.
I re initialise the Stream+ and same thing.

If anyone has a solution, I'm listening.
Last week many local channels in the US moved their frequencies per FCC mandate. You should run a new scan of your channels and make sure they are enabled (checked) in your customized channel list.
pilotart likes this.

--
Dan Shane

post #2149 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Last week many local channels in the US moved their frequencies per FCC mandate. You should run a new scan of your channels and make sure they are enabled (checked) in your customized channel list.
Thank you for your answer
I reset my Stream+ yesterday and re scanned the channels and I have the same problem
post #2150 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucdelaC View Post
Thank you for your answer
I reset my Stream+ yesterday and re scanned the channels and I have the same problem
Did you check your Custom Channels list to verify that all channels are checked? They will be hidden from the guide otherwise. I had to do that after a re-scan.

--
Dan Shane

post #2151 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Did you check your Custom Channels list to verify that all channels are checked? They will be hidden from the guide otherwise. I had to do that after a re-scan.
Thank's
Yes i checked, all channel list is checked
post #2152 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am looking at getting a "Stream" unit and have a couple of questions of people who have used it for some time.

Questions:
  • When did the last software update happen and what did it accomplish?
  • Has anything of significance happened to the function/software this year (2019)?
  • Can you get the Sling App to work and is it as convenient/good as what is found installed on the new TVs?
  • Has the problem with chasing a recording ever been promised to work and if so how long ago? Do you think it will be corrected?
  • Is there still a sense that CM is doing any work on this, either the DVR or the Streaming?
  • I notice where this product is paired with an Amplify unit at a very good price. I need the Amplify unit and am wondering if you feel this unit is still worth spending $60 to purchase?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by tmn1; 11-01-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #2153 of 2301 Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
im wondering what its hardware difference between shield and stream? for software its night and day with nvidia support.

usb port of stream only works for hard drives instead shield support hard drives, microphones and cameras. just one example.
post #2154 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 01:14 PM

Hi -- been using the Stream+ since February of this year.

Questions:
  • When did the last software update happen and what did it accomplish? The last update was sometime this past spring.
  • Has anything of significance happened to the function/software this year (2019)? The guide is now 14 days. Voice search no longer finds anything in the guide -- only YouTube & Google store -- so it's pretty useless now and makes it harder to program it to record shows. The way it works, when you use the guide to set a program to record, you get sent back to the current day/time in the guide instead of staying where you were.
  • Can you get the Sling App to work and is it as convenient/good as what is found installed on the new TVs? Sling works just fine. We use it all the time. I've never used any other version of the app, so I can't compare it for you.
  • Has the problem with chasing a recording ever been promised to work and if so how long ago? Do you think it will be corrected? No and I'm not holding my breath.
  • Is there still a sense that CM is doing any work on this, either the DVR or the Streaming? I don't have a good feel for this, but I will say they are good about responding to customer problems.
  • I notice where this product is paired with an Amplify unit at a very good price. I need the Amplify unit and am wondering if you feel this unit is still worth spending $60 to purchase? I don't know what Amplify is. Sorry.

Last edited by Baymavision; 11-02-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #2155 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
I am looking at getting a "Stream" unit and have a couple of questions of people who have used it for some time.
  • I notice where this product is paired with an Amplify unit at a very good price. I need the Amplify unit and am wondering if you feel this unit is still worth spending $60 to purchase?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I gave up on the Stream+ as my backup DVR for the bedroom and installed an Amazon Recast. So I can't reliably answer the other questions, but as to the Amplify, it is a high quality amplifier with two settings for amplification. It includes a built in LTE filter. If you need an antenna amplifier, the Amplify works well. It is rated for outdoor use and that makes it more expensive.

But, if you DON'T need an amplifier putting one in line may cause you to lose channels. This is true of any amplifier, not just the Amplify. Not sure of the technical reason, but I think you can "over amplify" the signals and the tuners can't handle it.

If you are receiving signals well right now, then there's no need for the Amplify.

I no longer recommend the Stream+ because I think Google has given up on updating the Live Channels app. They used to have an active team working on it, and now there's just one person from what I've heard. The beta group from Reddit seems to have been dissolved or deleted. So there's more than just Channel Master involved to make it "future proof" and I don't see any way that Channel Master can make the Stream+ work well without the Live Channels app. Live Channels controls the DVR function.
post #2156 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you for the answers to my questions. Perhaps I did not express the last question well enough. I am going to purchase the "Amplify" because I need it. What I am wondering is if you think the "Stream" unit is worth $60 at this time? Would you buy one at that price? My impression is that many of the present owners are less than happy and yet there is very little to choose from today. Thanks again.
post #2157 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 06:37 PM

Although the Stream+ is probably worth $60, I think your money would be better spent on a platform with a future like Amazon Recast. I hung in there with Stream+ as long as I could. I was constantly searching for ways to sideload apps they would ultimately never support. But the Recast is a much better system. It has more tuners, more recording space, more apps, active support, whole home capability, I could go on.
post #2158 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Although the Stream+ is probably worth $60, I think your money would be better spent on a platform with a future like Amazon Recast. I hung in there with Stream+ as long as I could. I was constantly searching for ways to sideload apps they would ultimately never support. But the Recast is a much better system. It has more tuners, more recording space, more apps, active support, whole home capability, I could go on.

you can transfer recordings to other devices? or are encrtypted too?

i never tired to say but channel master its a joke. poor very poor suppport on stream + . they just sucks hope they are reading this.
post #2159 of 2301 Old 11-02-2019, 09:08 PM

I have no desire to ever do that, but it is theoretically possible. Unfortunately it requires disassembling the unit and undertaking a very complex process to join several files per recording.

I just record, watch and delete. I can watch on any other Fire stick, so there is no need to transfer.
post #2160 of 2301 Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
Thank you for the answers to my questions. Perhaps I did not express the last question well enough. I am going to purchase the "Amplify" because I need it. What I am wondering is if you think the "Stream" unit is worth $60 at this time? Would you buy one at that price? My impression is that many of the present owners are less than happy and yet there is very little to choose from today. Thanks again.

It's probably worth the $60, plus the price of a powered USB drive for DVR storage, to have a DVR. Figure you're into it about $75 to $80. It would be the best DVR you can get at that price.

The risk is that the channel guide can go away if Google decides to jettison Live Channels. It is for all intents and purposes a brick at that point (there is a complex way to get a PSIP guide, on one station at a time after tuning to it, but it loses most functionality with the Google supplied guide).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page