Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

post #2161 of 2301 Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baymavision View Post
Hi -- been using the Stream+ since February of this year.

Questions:
Go
  • When did the last software update happen and what did it accomplish? The last update was sometime this past spring.
  • Has anything of significance happened to the function/software this year (2019)? The guide is now 14 days. Voice search no longer finds anything in the guide -- only YouTube & Google store -- so it's pretty useless now and makes it harder to program it to record shows. The way it works, when you use the guide to set a program to record, you get sent back to the current day/time in the guide instead of staying where you were.
  • Can you get the Sling App to work and is it as convenient/good as what is found installed on the new TVs? Sling works just fine. We use it all the time. I've never used any other version of the app, so I can't compare it for you.
  • Has the problem with chasing a recording ever been promised to work and if so how long ago? Do you think it will be corrected? No and I'm not holding my breath.
  • Is there still a sense that CM is doing any work on this, either the DVR or the Streaming? I don't have a good feel for this, but I will say they are good about responding to customer problems.
I agree with most of this except I use voice search on my Stream+ to search live channels guide all the time. You have to mark live channels as searchable in settings/search/searchable apps. The Reddit is

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveChannelsBeta/

I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2301 Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
you can transfer recordings to other devices? or are encrtypted too?
You were asking that question about the Amazon Recast, AIUI.

I don't own a Recast but my understanding is that if you add an external HDD and force the Recast to use it (by filling up its internal HDD with recordings), it will record to the external HDD with no encryption, secret file systems or other tricks, so you can disconnect the HDD and copy the recordings to other devices. You can ask for details on the Recast thread.
post #2163 of 2301 Old 11-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaheed View Post
I agree with most of this except I use voice search on my Stream+ to search live channels guide all the time. You have to mark live channels as searchable in settings/search/searchable apps. The Reddit is

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiveChannelsBeta/

I

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know there was a thing in settings so I checked it, and Live Channels was selected, so I tried a couple of searches and discovered my problem. They changed the way results were displayed. It used to have YouTube, Google Play, and LC in the large text box of show info. Now you only get YT & GP info there and the LC is well below that (like five clicks below!).

Thanks again, you just made my life a little easier!
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2301 Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a stream+ and a Denon 6300H and on a Sony A9G MASTER Series TV it was also previously on a Samsung and both where set to enhanced mode input and when I turn my unit on I get no picture. I have no issues on my Apple TV or uhd player. Any advice would be great.
post #2165 of 2301 Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 259
^
I would guess it is an HDMI issue. I have the same problem running thru my Marantz pre-amp and have to unplug the power on the Stream+ and plug it back in.

Sean
post #2166 of 2301 Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
^
I would guess it is an HDMI issue. I have the same problem running thru my Marantz pre-amp and have to unplug the power on the Stream+ and plug it back in.
I also have the channel master+ and never had and issue, the stream is supposed HDR 4K ready
post #2167 of 2301 Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanks, this is from jdsmoothie, An HDMI handshake issue which is quite common. Try switching to an HDMI input that is closer to the HDMI monitor outputs (ie. Media Player, Aux 2, CD) which "may" alleviate the issue.

I move my HDMI cable from port 1 to port 7 which is CD port close to monitor input, needs more testing but seems to have worked. Hope this helps.
post #2168 of 2301 Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 AM

I ended up changing my HDMI cables to, Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable, Optimal Viewing for Apple TV and Apple TV 4K, Dolby Vision HDR, 2 M/6.ft – Black, and all the issues I was having my stream plus was having were fixed ( slow loading time of channels on Pluto, slow channel lock with the blue circle) I ended changing all my cables to my denon and signal drop outs were fixed. I was using monoprice ultra cables previously, the Belkin cable is around 40. Ea.
post #2169 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just thought you would like this. This exchange just happened yesterday. I am in the market for another OTA tuner, and was considering another Stream + during the black friday sale or holding out for the new year. He only answered ONE of my questions

Chris (Channel Master Support)

Nov 21, 4:19 PM MST

Mr Carton,

We are currently running 6.0. There are many variables that our team has to work within when making a decision to upgrade to latest version of AndroidTV. If it is within our control without breaking current features, we will do so but if there is any question that it could possibly break the existing functionality we will not upgrade until that concern can be resolved.
Regards,
Channel Master Support [email protected]

Michael Carton

Nov 21, 3:57 PM MST

I am wondering if the Stream + will get any software updates? Also, is there a new-model channel tuner planned for next year?

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #2170 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton;....
We are currently running 6.0. ... [email
[email protected][/email]

Michael Carton

Nov 21, 3:57 PM MST

I am wondering if the Stream + will get any software updates? Also, is there a new-model channel tuner planned for next year?
😂 I got the same response, word for word. Looks like if the Stream+ works for you as is get one for the best price you can. I think there is little or no hope for a major update.
post #2171 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Chris (Channel Master Support)

Nov 22, 9:01 AM MST

Mr Carton,

I'm sorry that was my type-o. Correct 7.0.

We do not have any further information on any new products in the works. We aren't told about any new products until they are released. Thank you
Regards,
Channel Master Support [email protected]

Michael Carton

Nov 22, 8:11 AM MST

Are you sure it is 6.0? Everything I read states 7.0.

Also, what about a new OTA tuner in the works?? If google kills Android TV, the Stream + will be bricked....

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #2172 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaheed View Post
Looks like if the Stream+ works for you as is get one for the best price you can. I think there is little or no hope for a major update.
This really should be no surprise to anyone. CM is just a marketing company. They make nothing; they offer little in the way of support; they move on from one product to the next without ever looking back. If you buy their product for what it is at the time of purchase and expect it will never be anything more, you may not be disappointed.

As to the Stream+, if Android TV is never updated on that box, Live Channels updates will eventually not function -- assuming Live Channels contines to survive. The Stream+ may turn out to be the shortest-lived CM DVR product, yet. Android TV is scheduled to be updated to v10 by the end of 2019.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 11-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #2173 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Has anyone tried playing videos from the DVR+ HDD on the Stream +?
post #2174 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
This really should be no surprise to anyone. CM is just a marketing company. They make nothing; they offer little in the way of support; they move on from one product to the next without ever looking back. If you buy their product for what it is at the time of purchase and expect it will never be anything more, you may not be disappointed.

https://www.facebook.com/MyChannelMa...5990642423523/

not quite, they have a manufacturing facility in Arizona where they cut and terminate coax cable.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #2175 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For $89 how can you go wrong? I think it's a great little streamer, the DVR functionality has some clear limitations that have been discussed at length but what do you want at this price point with no monthly fees?
post #2176 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude1 View Post
For $89 how can you go wrong? I think it's a great little streamer . . .
That is assuming you don't care about not having a supported app for major services like Netflix, Prime or the new Disney+.

But even for the services it currently supports, I would worry. Streaming apps get updated and the older apps often get shut out of the service, meaning you need to update to continue using the service. If the box continues to run a version of Android TV that is 2-3 versions back, those new apps may not be compatible and will disappear from the pool of apps available to the Stream+.

Just the fact that they are dumping it for $89 on Black Friday pretty much indicates the Stream+ is already at EOL.
pilotart likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2177 of 2301 Old 11-22-2019, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
they just wanted make money. where its real support? its pathetically sad.
post #2178 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
That is assuming you don't care about not having a supported app for major services like Netflix, Prime or the new Disney+...
Who cares about the streaming services? I get all those streaming apps on my TV. Before that, I got them on my PS3. They're everywhere.

I bought the Stream+ for the OTA DVR capabilities, nothing more. I hate streaming, because the audio and video quality is so far behind the curve. At least OTA channels maintain some quality there.
arbegas likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #2179 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM

You guys are complaining that a Kia isn't a Rolls Royce. We all know the limitations of this device, but it filled a void in my entertainment center perfectly. TV does Netflix and Prime, doesn't do HBO or Showtime - Stream+ fits in perfectly. My Dish receiver has a single OTA tuner, this one picks up the slack. It's stable and responsive, has an IR blaster that I can use with my Harmony and it's $89 with no monthly fee.

They're still selling them with a one year warranty, it will not be obsolete anytime soon. I have no doubt buying one today will net you $89 of value over the next few years. I don't care what version of Android it runs, it's a TV streamer - not my phone.

It's not a Tivo Bolt, but it also is a fraction of the price.
Baymavision likes this.
post #2180 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude1 View Post
They're still selling them with a one year warranty, it will not be obsolete anytime soon.
If it makes you happy and you feel you will get the value you want, then go for it and best of luck.

Keep in mind that the warranty is for the hardware alone and does not guarantee that any particular app will continue to run on the box. CM has made it clear that apps are the province of the app developer alone. Their only "responsibility" is to keep the Android TV OS current -- which they decline to do. As I noted above, the version of Android TV it runs will impact which apps are available to it.

Best of luck.

- kelson h

post #2181 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think CM should have focused on DVR functionality only. Just about all modern TV's are "smart" now but none have a built in DVR. I agree with others that have stated it is a great value just in terms of DVR functionality. I had a TIVO and hated it mostly because of the UI... setting up recordings was cumbersome. I was happy to find the DVR+ and quickly sold the TIVO.

I do have a question as well. Is anyone using an SD card for recording instead of a USB drive and, if so, how does it work ? Any glitches ?

Sean
post #2182 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I think CM should have focused on DVR functionality only. Just about all modern TV's are "smart" now but none have a built in DVR. I agree with others that have stated it is a great value just in terms of DVR functionality. I had a TIVO and hated it mostly because of the UI... setting up recordings was cumbersome. I was happy to find the DVR+ and quickly sold the TIVO.

I do have a question as well. Is anyone using an SD card for recording instead of a USB drive and, if so, how does it work ? Any glitches ?
I'm using an SD card without issue. Need to make sure it's a U3 and purchased from a reputable source, there are a lot of counterfeit SD cards on eBay and Amazon.
post #2183 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks dishdude… I will give it a try. My USB drive works fine but I often can hear it spinning even when nothing is being recorded. I thought it would go into a hibernation mode when not in use but that does not appear to be the case.

Sean
post #2184 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
That is assuming you don't care about not having a supported app for major services like Netflix, Prime or the new Disney+.

Add Hulu to that list of major streaming services it doesn't support. Hulu pulled support a few months ago, I think, and new Stream+ cannot install their app.
post #2185 of 2301 Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Add Hulu to that list of major streaming services it doesn't support. Hulu pulled support a few months ago, I think, and new Stream+ cannot install their app.
Yes but in fairness, that action was not exclusive to the Stream+. Hulu also pulled their app from a couple other Android TV boxes and has given no reason. But regardless of the reason, at the end of the day the end result is the same -- the Stream+ does not support Hulu either. As far as a streamer goes, a $25 Fire TV Stick beats it to death.

- kelson h

post #2186 of 2301 Old 11-24-2019, 01:42 PM

I just need an ota tuner. I don't want it networked either. There aren't many options on the market. As long as Google live channels v doesn't get killed, it works I guess. I was just hoping for something better.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
post #2187 of 2301 Old 11-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Disney+ shouldn't be included here. I've been using it on my Stream+ since the day it launched with no issues.
post #2188 of 2301 Old 11-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baymavision View Post
Disney+ shouldn't be included here. I've been using it on my Stream+ since the day it launched with no issues.
I stand corrected.

- kelson h

post #2189 of 2301 Old 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Android is a masterpiece of planned obsolescence. But what do you expect? It was originally developed for cell phones, and (to my personal amazement) the vast majority of folks replace their phones every year or two, just to chase the "latest and greatest." (I have a Marshmallow phone; yet folks wonder how I can live without at least Android Pie.) So new Android versions are constantly coming out, and there's essentially no upgrade path for devices running earlier versions.

(Something similar happens with desktop OSes, but the process is much slower, and if an OS version is popular enough, its users will often band together to find ways to extend its life well past its EoS date. I'm composing this post on an offshoot of Basilisk, which itself is an offshoot of Firefox 52, under Windows XP! Try running a browser anywhere near that modern on Android ICS.)

Plus, at the end of the day, streaming is under the control of the streaming companies. If they don't want to support older apps, or to update their apps for older Android versions, or even block a working app for no reason beyond sheer spite (even though doing so angers their own paying customers), there's nothing any of us can do about it.

I think CM fell too hard for the "streaming" spiel and is now regretting it. They never could get the "majors" to support the Stream+; we always had to side-load, and even that's getting blocked more and more. Now they have a white elephant like the CM-7400 became. In retrospect, the Stream+ should've been the "Media+". Sure, it needed better streaming than the DVR+ had, which probably meant some kind of Android box; but it still should've concentrated on DVR and media player functionality, so it would've been useful regardless of what the streaming companies decided to do about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Has anyone tried playing videos from the DVR+ HDD on the Stream +?
I haven't tried it but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.
post #2190 of 2301 Old 11-27-2019, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I hate streaming, because the audio and video quality is so far behind the curve. At least OTA channels maintain some quality there.
Not here. The OTA quality for virtually every major network (perhaps outside of PBS) pales in comparison to even "decent" streaming quality. Subchannels have destroyed the experience so much so our viewing time has measurably decreased. Earlier today I noticed I have zero recordings scheduled for Thursday, Friday and Saturday and a half dozen or less for next week. The content wasn't that great to begin with and now that you can hardly see it its usage is quickly being replaced.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page