Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

post #2281 of 2301 Old 03-06-2020, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPersuasion View Post
I have a CM DVR+ and have been using it flawlessly for many years for OTA recordings. As recently as this past Monday, the channel guide has worked perfectly still recording NEW episodes of TV shows that I set up over two and three years ago!

I get my guide off the Internet thru WiFi using the USB WiFi adapter. You also MUST have the most recent firmware installed for the guide to function properly. Your DVR+ firmware version should say "135R" if you have the latest firmware installed. You also should do a factory reset after updating the firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcerank View Post
I did check my firmware version & it is the 135R update. I have noticed just recently that I am getting no “unknown event” listing on the channel guide. Maybe the issue was fixed after all. I will be monitoring & hoping the guide stays accurate for my dvr scheduling. Thanks for your input.
I have always kept my DVR+ up to date. I've had 135R since it came out. My DVR+ has network over ethernet. I think you guys are just lucky so far. According to Channel Master, Rovi is no longer doing maintenance on their API. So if something with the data for your stations changes, you will start to see problems.

Quote from Channel Master, "Over the past several months Channel Master has been working with our guide data provider to try and correct issues with an aging data API which the DVR+ receives its internet guide from. Unfortunately our partner has been unsuccessful with maintaining this API which has caused inconsistent guide data on all DVR+ units over the past few months."

My internet guide data is working fine for me in the Duluth, MN market except for WDIO, the ABC channel. Most prime time shows (7-10PM) Say unknown event. My wife get's pretty pissed when the DVR doesn't record her Gray's Anatomy The interesting thing I've noticed is the sub channels for WDIO seem to be ok on the guide... Anyway, up here in the sticks of Northern Minnesota losing one of my networks is a big deal. I'm not in a huge market like some of you that have 100+ channels OTA. That sounds like a dream. We only had 12 before the repacking. Now we have like 21 as a lot of sub channels were recently added.

I tried the recommended method of changing zip to 00000 and relying on EPG data. I hated it. I've opted to go back to internet guide and just lose out on ABC recordings. My Stream+ is due to arrive Monday. Sounds like I wont be impressed, but it should get the job done for a while. I had the same suspicion that this crazy sale price might mean end of life for the Stream+, but at the moment it's my best option till the next thing comes along. Maybe it will hold out long enough for ATSC 3. My expectations are pretty low at this point...sigh...

Last edited by alex_ajb; 03-06-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2301 Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ajb View Post

Quote from Channel Master, "Over the past several months Channel Master has been working with our guide data provider to try and correct issues with an aging data API which the DVR+ receives its internet guide from. Unfortunately our partner has been unsuccessful with maintaining this API which has caused inconsistent guide data on all DVR+ units over the past few months."
Translation: "The guide provider is now charging us more to convert the guide data to the format used by the DVR+ and they really don't want to do it any longer. We'll keep up the charade that we're doing all we can to keep you supplied with guide data, but rest assured that as soon as there is no possibility of legal recourse by DVR+ owners, we will be pulling the plug once and for all on providing DVR+ guide data. Go ahead and get accustomed to using PSIP because that will be all that is available by mid-year."
jdcerank and alex_ajb like this.
post #2283 of 2301 Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am afraid that those of us who own the CM DVR+ are on borrowed time with the channel guide. I did see Channel Master’s explanation of our issue on their website. The sale price of the latest CM Stream+ could be their solution to the problem. I have always liked the products that CM has sold. I believe that the Stream+ could have been better had the company been able to manufacture it on their own. Times are changing & I get why they went in the direction that they did. Sadly so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 2301 Old 03-06-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
The Stream+ is an uncertified Android TV box that runs Google Live Channels for its DVR capability. It is totally at the mercy of Google to continue development of Live Channels in order to continue functioning as a DVR and for any bug fixes or feature enhancements. Channel Master cannot supply any support for the DVR functions of the box. Live Channels is currently at v1.23.1 (Dec-2019) and requires Android TV 6.0 or above. Android TV is currently at v10 (released Dec-2019). A new version of Android TV for the Stream+ would have to be configured by the device manufacturer. It is unlikely that the Stream+ will ever have its version of Android TV upgraded past what it ships with.

It is not clear what version of Live Channels the Stream+ is running. I don't believe you can simply go to Google store and download/install the latest version on the Stream+.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2285 of 2301 Old 03-07-2020, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The stream + gets the latest updates.

It works well with my harmony 665. A crude macro could be created to ff or rw multiple times to get a skip function.

I've got a homerun, using it with a win7 computer, but as soon as Microsoft quits paying TiVo/rovi I'll use it with another device. Have had no luck with recording on the stream +, Nvidia shield, or an Android TV umm, tv. Seems live channels doesn't have the network tuner (beta) choice anymore. I may build a tvheadend server with a raspberry pi, there are tvheadend client apps that integrate into live channels.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #2286 of 2301 Old 03-07-2020, 02:21 PM

In any case, as long as TiVo/rovi owns the patents for an online guide database, it doesn't bode well for any DVR. Except their own. There's an ongoing lawsuit with Comcast and I believe, the maker of the stream+ and other set top devices.

post #2287 of 2301 Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
I've got a homerun, using it with a win7 computer, but as soon as Microsoft quits paying TiVo/rovi I'll use it with another device. Have had no luck with recording on the stream +, Nvidia shield, or an Android TV umm, tv. Seems live channels doesn't have the network tuner (beta) choice anymore.
Only certain later model Homeruns work with Android TV. I had an older one that didn't and a newer one that did. If you tell Silicon Dust, they will offer to replace your old model for a new model at a pretty good discount.

Quote:
In any case, as long as TiVo/rovi owns the patents for an online guide database, it doesn't bode well for any DVR. Except their own. There's an ongoing lawsuit with Comcast and I believe, the maker of the stream+ and other set top devices.
So Tivo has sued Channel Master rather than Google, the ones who actually wrote the app? Interesting.
post #2288 of 2301 Old 03-07-2020, 06:29 PM

Not cm, Technicolor. They make Comcast boxes, too.

https://www.lightreading.com/cable/s.../d/d-id/751715

Hdhomerun connect quatro, fairly new.
I'll try a rescan from the activation webpage, missing some configuration maybe.

Last edited by mat55555; 03-07-2020 at 06:36 PM.
post #2289 of 2301 Old 03-07-2020, 07:11 PM

Technicolor skipper. Channel master is rebranding these units. For all I know, Technicolor may not be the first link. If originally Chinese, there will never be an update.

post #2290 of 2301 Old 03-10-2020, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just ordered the stream+ with the sale price, getting it delivered tomorrow, I currently use both their older models, the CM7400 and the CM7500. So I was excited to get the newer one now.
But something I just read about it took all the excitement about it right out of me! I've read a lot of bad stuff, but none were bothering me very much. But this was devastating!! I'm hoping someone here will tell me that it isn't so..
A DVR for me is not about recording shows really, but about watching my channel (metv) on a timeshift, and skip through the commercials. So I like the DVR+ gives me 2 hour buffer limit, as long as I stay on the same channel of course. But I tried finding out the limit on the stream+ but couldn't find this info anywhere! So I made the purchase anyway....now I was told by one owner, on reddit. That this one only gives you like a 15 minute limit. Which if true...makes no freaking sense! And I probably will have no use for this thing then. I'm really hoping someone will tell me that it isn't so. God I hope it isn't
Baymavision likes this.
post #2291 of 2301 Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Rubin View Post
I just ordered the stream+ with the sale price, getting it delivered tomorrow, I currently use both their older models, the CM7400 and the CM7500. So I was excited to get the newer one now.
But something I just read about it took all the excitement about it right out of me! I've read a lot of bad stuff, but none were bothering me very much. But this was devastating!! I'm hoping someone here will tell me that it isn't so..
A DVR for me is not about recording shows really, but about watching my channel (metv) on a timeshift, and skip through the commercials. So I like the DVR+ gives me 2 hour buffer limit, as long as I stay on the same channel of course. But I tried finding out the limit on the stream+ but couldn't find this info anywhere! So I made the purchase anyway....now I was told by one owner, on reddit. That this one only gives you like a 15 minute limit. Which if true...makes no freaking sense! And I probably will have no use for this thing then. I'm really hoping someone will tell me that it isn't so. God I hope it isn't
I am not sure on the amount of time, but I know we have had hours delayed for at least an hour before (I want to say even 2 hours, but I wouldn't put money on that). Put it on channel (usually football), pause, come back and watch fast forwarding through commercials. Just make sure the dog or cat doesn't step on the remote or you are hosed. The amount of time may be dependent on the amount of storage you have connected.
post #2292 of 2301 Old 03-15-2020, 11:25 AM

I am not sure on the amount of time, but I know we have had hours delayed for at least an hour before (I want to say even 2 hours, but I wouldn't put money on that). Put it on channel (usually football), pause, come back and watch fast forwarding through commercials. Just make sure the dog or cat doesn't step on the remote or you are hosed. The amount of time may be dependent on the amount of storage you have connected.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for you response.
So I've been using it a good few days now.....LOOOOOOVE IT!! I want another one!
And yea....turns out the rewind limit on this one, isn't a set TIME limit, like with the DVR+ it is a 2 hour limit. But this one they set a memory limit. I'm not sure the exact amount, but they assigned a certain amount of memory for the live buffer. So when I'm watching my HD channel (MeTv) then I'll have exactly 1 hour and 48 minutes to rewind. But when I'm watching a SD channel, it is A LOT more! I don't the exact limit for SD yet, I'm now testing it. I'm now up to 12 minutes to 3 hours. And it's still rewinding all the way! Almost 3 hours already! If I remember to, I'll post the exact limit when I reach it.
So it must be a certain amount of GB's is assigned to the live buffer. So the time will very depending on the definition of the Channel. (I'm totally fine with this!)
post #2293 of 2301 Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
today i able to see xumo in live channels. so now we have pluto, xumo and ota on live channels.

[i use nvidia shield, i pretty sure its same for stream+]
post #2294 of 2301 Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 PM

Xumo for Android TV doesn't install on the stream+. It is compatible with Nvidia shield and my Sony TV.

post #2295 of 2301 Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Xumo for Android TV doesn't install on the stream+. It is compatible with Nvidia shield and my Sony TV.

true i realize that but i hope xumo will be available, it was purchased by comcast. i suppose they want more people use their service.

i find another iptv add on for live channels looks better than tvirl or pvr live, cosmidvr. also cheaper for now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IPTV/commen...android_tv_os/
post #2296 of 2301 Old 04-04-2020, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I bought a CM Stream+ awhile ago as a spare DVR. I just put the unit into service and checked for any firmware updates. It said my firmware was up to date. I then did a scan of my OTA channels. During the scan I saw ALL my available channels show up; but when I went to view LIVE TV, several of the channels are missing. All the missing channels are Sub-channels. The main channel is there. The sub-channels are also missing from the Guide, but I did see them all show up during the channel scan.

Any ideas/fixes for this?
post #2297 of 2301 Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 AM

Liked: 11
Maybe this will work

TRy this:

If you perform a Channel Scan, (Or miss a step in initial setup) you may need to re-enable the guide.
  • Press the home button on your remote.
  • Select 'Live channels'
  • Press the 'Guide' button on your remote.
  • Select Channel #1-1 to watch 'Google Play' preview channel.
    • The Stream+ must be connected to the internet in order to find that channel 1-1 in your guide.
  • Press the OK button.
  • Navigate down to 'TV Options'.
  • Navigate to 'Settings'.
  • Select 'Customize Channel list'
  • Now "Deselect group" or "Select Group" should be highlighted.
    • Press OK so the boxes next to the TV channels are blue with a check mark.
  • Press the 'Home' button on the remote.
  • Press 'Guide' on your remote.
  • You should now have the blue 'Guide Category' banner on the left side of your screen.
pilotart likes this.

slotcar
post #2298 of 2301 Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparin View Post
TRy this:

If you perform a Channel Scan, (Or miss a step in initial setup) you may need to re-enable the guide.
  • Press the home button on your remote.
  • Select 'Live channels'
  • Press the 'Guide' button on your remote.
  • Select Channel #1-1 to watch 'Google Play' preview channel.
    • The Stream+ must be connected to the internet in order to find that channel 1-1 in your guide.
  • Press the OK button.
  • Navigate down to 'TV Options'.
  • Navigate to 'Settings'.
  • Select 'Customize Channel list'
  • Now "Deselect group" or "Select Group" should be highlighted.
    • Press OK so the boxes next to the TV channels are blue with a check mark.
  • Press the 'Home' button on the remote.
  • Press 'Guide' on your remote.
  • You should now have the blue 'Guide Category' banner on the left side of your screen.
Thanks! For some reason not all the channels were checked in the channel list.
post #2299 of 2301 Old 05-03-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
PuffinTV and Amazon Prime Video

I just discovered the Puffin TV browser. Seems to work well on the Stream + and Amazon Prime Video works in it.
dishdude1 likes this.
post #2300 of 2301 Old 05-25-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Cool Stream-

I'd first posted this under alternates for DVR+ but further research showed it to be more an alternate to a Stream+. Without antenna or tuners. ........

Now there's a TiVo Stream:
https://www.techhive.com/article/354...4k-review.html

Cheap enough at $50 till Wednesday, didn't check if subscription needed
edit:> they say no sub needed. ....

I'm still pleased with my DVR+ and thanks to that 4th of July closeout; have three of them (one {[updated to 135R} in its box and paired with the old 'flat' remote).

CM (Technicolor's) Stream+ was a big minus for me, if only they'ed been able to add 'Prime' but now I have a Sony 800+ 4K Blueray which came with Prime HDR (as well as Netflex). YouuTube 4K was only "Stream" I accessed on my Stream+ as DVR+'s YouTube was maxed at HD.

I'll look forward to best DVR replacement when I'm forced into the 4K capable Broadcast TV.
Expecting there will be a long period of both signals available.
Art

Edit:> Well, it looks like only "Live" TV on it is 'Sling' w/free trial, so no tuners or antenna's needed. ....
post #2301 of 2301 Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I'd first posted this under alternates for DVR+ but further research showed it to be more an alternate to a Stream+. Without antenna or tuners. ........
How's is this any different than the Fire stick or Roku I've been using for a decade? It's not a Stream+ alternative at all. It's just another streaming device with no tuners. The only difference is the remote looks like a Tivo remote which inexplicably lacks play/pause/ffwd/rew buttons. No thanks. My Fire TV/Recast is 10 times better than this too-little-too-late dongle riddled with bugs.
richart and pilotart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page