Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 699Likes
post #1 of 2167 Unread 03-11-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread

MODERATOR'S NOTE:
Now that it's being shipped, this thread replaces the pre-release thread.

Mine just arrived via USPS.
My U3 card should arrive from amazon before 8pm.
Will play with it tonight.
(The quick start guide seems thicker than I expected)

Last edited by DrDon; 03-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2167 Unread 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Connected to small personal Samsung monitor.
About 5 minutes for latest upgrade.
Found 148 channels. I am in north Orange County California with small RCA rooftop antenna.
****>Can’t figure out how to delete all but 7 of them. Ha.

Not installed SD card yet.
Nice remote controls tv volume. Fire stick requires me to lap two remotes.
post #3 of 2167 Unread 03-11-2018, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Don’t forget to update remote firmware.

Not seeing a browser like Fire Stick offers. Tried installing chrome but not found.

Installed 64 U3 Card. Meeting expectations so far.

Pray DVR+ devices live long life.
We are spoiled with 14 day guide with option to choose new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
just got it in the mail,plugged in, stuck a random laptop drive on it, it offered to format, I let it. Here is the result:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmstreamplus.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	792.9 KB
ID:	2374204  
post #5 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
These are the two submenus. Some of the individual items are also clickable, like the caches take you to a "Clear cache " screen.'

Now that I can edit: Okay. The Samsung drive that I plugged in was unpowered, so it is getting power from the stream+. the only things in the box are the device and a power wart. Instructions are very sparse, no indication of how much recording time is available on board an no mention of external drives whatsoever. The setup used a google account, if you have one, and it got all network info and other setup information from my phone! It was quick and painless. the remote also works in bluetooth, so you could hide this thing if you don't want to see it. More to come...

Edit: The guide looks good, I have not tested it much. The device scanned my antenna and then matched against two or three local sources, including antenna. No Netflix, but a lot of other standard streaming apps are available. The unit did an immediate update when connected to the internet. The guide only loads two days worth. Maybe it will load more later?

Third Edit: It is DEFINITELY saving to the hard disk drive. I have about 2.5 hours recorded and I am watching the total available space on the hard disk go down.

And, at 2.5 hours in, the device lost connection to my network, will not reconnect, and will not play antenna stations without that connection to the internet!... that required a hard reset. I had to unplug it and replug it. The thing gets warm,and I am thinking about powering the drive separately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180312_152540.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	993.5 KB
ID:	2374222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180312_152638.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	993.3 KB
ID:	2374224  

Last edited by rdhood; 03-12-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: More info...
post #6 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhood View Post
just got it in the mail,plugged in, stuck a random laptop drive on it, it offered to format, I let it. Here is the result:
Only 293 gigs??? Or is that the size of the drive you connected?

Also, are you a DVR+ user? Can you compare the reception to the reception you're getting with the DVR+?
post #7 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Red face

ok mine arrive today, i always follow those threads im south florida.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stream1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2374282   Click image for larger version

Name:	stream2.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	2374284  
post #8 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Can't quote from Speculation thread,......Wiredrunner had commented there,

[I put off buying a Shield to see how the Stream+ reviews. From reading every thread on the Nvidia Shield forum Google's Live Channels doesn't yet support dual channel usb tuners just single ones. The Nvidia site itself only talks about live dvr service when used with Plex Pass.

Maybe CM and Technicolor have a work around in place. Anxious to see this reviewed.]

Has anyone who has received and experimented with theirs noticed any issue with recording 2 shows simultaneously?
Others in Nvidia forum are also interested in this feature.

Thanks, and hope you guys are enjoying your new toy!!!!!
post #9 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody having trouble getting their Stream+ to pass Dolby digital AC3 with the over-the-air channels?

I ran the device directly into my Onkyo via the HDMI then on to the TV as I did the DVR+, just PCM no 5.1.

Customer support suggested I run directly to the TV first then take optical to the receiver, still no Dolby Digital AC3 (5.1).

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV

Last edited by Mike Gann; 03-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM

post #11 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhood View Post
Edit: The guide looks good, I have not tested it much. The device scanned my antenna and then matched against two or three local sources, including antenna. No Netflix, but a lot of other standard streaming apps are available. The unit did an immediate update when connected to the internet. The guide only loads two days worth. Maybe it will load more later?
No -- 2 days is what all Live Channels implementations have. Some other guides in use by by other Android TV implementations (like SiliconDust) have more.
post #12 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gann View Post
Anybody having trouble getting their Stream+ to pass Dolby digital with the over-the-air channels?

I ran the device directly into my Onkyo via the HDMI then on to the TV as I did the DVR+, no 5.1.

Customer support suggested I run directly to the TV first then take optical to the receiver, still no Dolby Digital.

Thanks,

Mike
If you go into settings, display and sound, advance. Do you see a setting called "Surround sound". If so make sure it is set to either auto or yes.
post #13 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alainl12,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had already tried that clicking both Auto and always and still don't have Dolby Digital AC3 (5.1); just get PCM.

My unit just isn't passing the Flag. My DVR+ works fine. I moved the same HDMI cable from the DVR+ to the Stream+ and still no joy.

Mike

Mike Gann
Assistant Chief Engineer
KMTV

Last edited by Mike Gann; 03-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #14 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Has anybody tried sideloading Netflix or DirecTV NOW?

If you unplug the hard drive and plug it into a PC, can you see/copy the files and are they playable?
post #15 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have noticed a problem with the aspect ratio on one channel. All the SD and HD channels look fine except for one channel where the HD signal is fine but the SD channel picture is very constricted horizontally. I am not finding anything in the Stream+ settings to change this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	2374420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00002.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	2374422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	2374424  
post #16 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gann View Post
Customer support suggested I run directly to the TV first then take optical to the receiver, still no Dolby Digital.
As long as they didn't lay the words, "Factory reset" on you I'd say this is definitely progress!
post #17 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Received my Stream+ today and set it up. We are using it on our second, rarely used TV where I think it's extra features will be appreciated.

Channel scan was quick ... actually I think it's too quick. I have a very strong "out of network" signal from Santa Barbara that I get off the back of my CM 4228 antenna that is pointed 180 degrees away from it, toward the Los Angeles stations. The Stream+ channel scan included every one of the Los Angeles stations, even the ones with no signal here at all (I'm 65 miles away from the transmitters). But it didn't pick up the strong signal that is "out of network" for my location. In contrast, my Samsung TVs and my DVR+ all scan and find the channel (Tivo/Rovi guide also populates for the Santa Barbara station now, but prior to the merger I had only PSIP data on it). I don't see a way to scan for a single channel. I'll try the different zip code trick later to see if I can grab the channels.

Setup went well, and was easy with the step-through on screen guide. I ended up with all 100+ stations I usually get, plus about 50 others that are never strong enough to register on my TV or DVR+ scans. I was wondering how to hide unused channels (there are only about 80 that are not shopping, non-English, or otherwise content I'lll watch). I had to refer to the video, and it's easy enough ... while watching an OTA channel click the OK button, then DOWN to select the action bar at the bottom, then RIGHT until you get to Settings. The first option is to show / hide channels. The interface is pretty nice here ... you can select the channel, and it plays in the left window ... then you check or uncheck it and go to the next channel. I didn't have to make a list of the 70 odd channels I don't want in the guide. I just scrolled through them and clicked OK to toggle the show / hide function.

I added the Pluto, Bloomberg and Haystack apps to add more channels, and figured out how to add them to the guide data. For those of you who used the DVR+ "Channel Master TV" linear / streaming stations, this is what it really should have been. Pluto adds over 100 movie, TV show, cable website streams, and music channels. Haystack appears to be a customized feed for news, weather and sports on their 10 channels; I'll configure those later to see how well it aggregates the stories that interest me. If you use a Roku or Firestick you may be familiar with the Pluto channel; the difference with the Stream+ is that you incorporate it into the guide data so it looks like the image attached. If you turn off the Stream+ while in the "Live Channels" (watching TV) it returns to that spot when you turn the TV back on, so it's really simple to use. Once you have it set up you just turn on your TV and surf the guide.

While viewing the guide, if you click the left arrow, a genre menu displays. It shows you everything in the guide that matches. Selecting "Movies" shows me the movies on the OTA channels, and all the movies on the linear TV channels provided by Pluto. It works pretty well, and is a nice addition to the guide data.

Before CM said the DVR functions required a U3 microSD I purchased a 200 GB microSD rated as a U1. I installed it and it seems to be working fine. I have several recordings set up but so for, the ones that have recorded and have really well. Out of the 200 GB there is 180 GB left for recordings. For this TV that's plenty, but I am interested in seeing how the testing with the USB hard drives turns out.

So far, my wishes are for 1) Amazon Prime, 2) Seven+ day guide data, 3) Ability to scan individual channels and 4) USB hard drive storage. Most others are probably looking for Netflix and I agree it is necessary for a main streamer, but we wouldn't want to "waste" one of our three devices on this bedroom TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stream-plus-contents.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2374514   Click image for larger version

Name:	guide-data.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	625.6 KB
ID:	2374516   Click image for larger version

Name:	genra-guide.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	2374518  
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #18 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 09:41 PM

i plug one 4tb wd, i cant remember what stream + show me but it was like it will be format hard drive in one way that its only visible in stream + .
i plug hard drive to windows and i cant see any recordings neither hard drive. hard drive was formmatted in ''android expand format'' not ntfs or other.

you able to record two in same time without trouble.

im checking and stream + just detect 1.6 tb of 4tb
JHBrandt, pachinko and Valyard like this.

Last edited by arbegas; 03-12-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #19 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Got my Stream+ today. Set up ok. One glitch was that it didn’t recognize it when I confirmed 2-factor authentication when first entering in my Google account (tapping YES in the google app on my phone). I had to request the code sent via SMS. I was able to enter that fine.

Scanning channels went well. But I’m noticing that it doesn’t deal with channels with “weak” signals well. All other TVs, and my older DVR+, handles all channels quickly. They come in fine and fast. But for one channel on the Stream+, which may have a less-than-strong signal, Live Channels says the signal is weak. After a few seconds the channel comes in. I have a Shield TV too, and that channel come in fine and fast.

The biggest problem I’m having is launching the Google Play Store app. I crashes after a couple seconds. I restarted the device and was able to the app to stay open, but only once. Subsequent attempts cause the app to crash. YouTube and google play music open fine. This is s problem.

Initial reactions? Less than impressed so far. It seems buggy.
post #20 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

have you guys seen this? Known Bugs, Issues and feature requests to google.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...n-Bugs-Issues-

So tonight I paused local news, guess you can't leave the screen, you will lose the pause.
Miss the 10secRR/30 secFF.
post #21 of 2167 Unread 03-12-2018, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

In the speculation thread there was some talk about the possibility of ads being served up. Has anyone noticed any popping up? If so, one experiment might be to record several shows in one genre, i.e. kids shows, westerns, etc. If the ads start corresponding to those recordings we will know that Google is right on target with their world domination plan.
pilotart likes this.
post #22 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
have you guys seen this? Known Bugs, Issues and feature requests to google.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...n-Bugs-Issues-
Wow! It didn't take long for CM to get the laundry list of requested features that were discussed in the speculation thread. But for some reason I don't have much confidence in the "Request being reviewed by Google" response. How long has Google Live Channels been out, and wouldn't a lot of these requests have already been passed along to them? Maybe it's just the wording, and the difference between a "known issue" and a "feature request" but "'Google Live Channels' has been notified and working to improve the experience" sounds a bit more encouraging.
post #23 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Anyone would post initial FW version on the S+ and after upgrading ?

Does someone have Windows PC with Ext2fs driver installed to check what type of partitions on the USB EHD ? Is USB 3.0 supporting ? or USB 2.0 only ?
post #24 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also got my Stream+ yesterday. Setup was very straightforward, and two-factor Google login worked fine for me. Has anyone tried any 4k video on the Youtube app? I was getting issues with the video stopping frequently (although audio continued). I don't know yet if it was related to bandwidth or hardware.

My remote didn't seem to be bluetooth-paired out-of-the-box, and there was nothing in the printed guide on how to pair it. The solution is to press the "pair" button on the bottom of the S+ (or go to settings and add accessory), then hold the OK and Home buttons on the remote simultaneously.

Edit: Also, I threw in a really old, slow 2GB MicroSD just to test live DVR functionality. Worked perfectly fine.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by flaquito; 03-13-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added some more stuff
post #25 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Wow! It didn't take long for CM to get the laundry list of requested features that were discussed in the speculation thread. But for some reason I don't have much confidence in the "Request being reviewed by Google" response. How long has Google Live Channels been out, and wouldn't a lot of these requests have already been passed along to them? Maybe it's just the wording, and the difference between a "known issue" and a "feature request" but "'Google Live Channels' has been notified and working to improve the experience" sounds a bit more encouraging.
For some reason I can only see a few of the comments in the Play Store for the live channels app, so I don't know how many people have raised the specific issues we want (14 day guide, "record new" programs, etc.). Android TV itself has been around since late 2014 with the flagship Nexus player announced in October of that year. I think the DVR functions in Android TV are fairly new, aren't they? Maybe a year old? Seems like a quick Google search showed that Nvidia announced DVR functions in early 2017.

When the DVR+ was first introduced there were only two recording modes, single program and record all. I'm not sure how the "record all" works on the Stream+, as I have heard that Live Channels looks for season and episode tags to record. I'm testing recording "Judge Judy" as it commonly has both a new and a repeat showing each day here in Los Angeles.
post #26 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM

I tried a factory reset to see if this would help with the problem of not being able to open the Google Play Store app. After resetting, I was able to sign in with my Google account, with 2 factor, without the problem I noted above (i.e., it worked fine accepting the request in the Google app on my iPhone).

But I still can't open the Google Play Store app. It opens, but then quickly crashes and closes. Very frustrating.

I'm also finding that it doesn't deal with weaker signals very well. Every other tuner in my house (4 TVs, DVR+, HDHomeRun) can handle one station I get where the signal is weaker than the rest. When I go to that channel on the Stream+, I get a "Weak Signal" screen, then after 10-20 seconds the picture comes in fine. I have a Shield TV where I use Live Channels (the HDHomeRun is the tuner), and I've never experienced this problem. So that's not so great.

But the real problem now is the Google Play Store app crashing each time I open it. I can't think of anything else to do.... might be a defective unit.

Last edited by bnwinsf; 03-13-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #27 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM

Channel Master has pushed back delivery of Stream+ Pre-orders placed after Jan 4.
See attachment.

New date for post January 4 Pre-orders is month of May.

My understanding from speaking with Channel Master is they shipped 400 units a day to customers starting Friday, and that the last set of pre-January 4 pre-orders shipped today. The 400 units per day is a basic logistical limit, and units were shipped "in order of purchase". The only exceptions were customers who had not been charged when ordered, and CC info had changed, delaying their "spot" until payment was verified.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	150
Size:	682.5 KB
ID:	2374616  
post #28 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Thumbs up Finally Arrived

My order (charged to my AX on 12/19/18) was shipped Friday with Monday delivery ("by 8 PM") promised.

Mailman came and went yesterday and left porch light on until past 8 PM Phoenix time. Track shows:
Quote:
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in FORT MEYERS FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER on March 12, 2018 at 5:40 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status
In-Transit
March 12, 2018 at 5:40 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

FORT MEYERS FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
No longer any mention of "by 8 PM" and I've requested a text after delivery.

I'd be more confident if they could correctly spell Fort Myers....
Art

edit:- __________________________________________________ __________

Well, postman's come and gone again. No package, just usual advertising and a bill.

Now their tracking page's "ChatBot" said wait "7 business days and send them an email".

Then I received a Text promising tomorrow by 8 PM. ...
__________________________________________________ ____

Today at 4:02 PM: Received a text that it was Delivered In/At Mailbox, which was true.

__________________________________________________ __________

i need to mention that it was inside my mailbox and that they've never left a package At my mailbox (on a Parkway). Packages too large to fit have always been left by my door, which is well hidden from the parkway.
Valyard likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 03-13-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Finally Arrived
post #29 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM

For my Google Store app problem (it crashing), Channel Master support suggested I hold the HOME button down for 3-4 seconds, then try again. And if this doesn't work, I should contact Google support since it's their app. That's not happening. If the problem persists, I'll be returning the Stream+. This is Channel Master's device, and it's a new product. I'm not pleased that their solution to almost any problem is to contact Google. I can see a "he said, she said" thing happening, with Google telling me to contact the device maker. I'm not getting into that. You would think Channel Master be more interested in helping early adopters work through these kinds of issues right after the product release.
post #30 of 2167 Unread 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
My order (charged to my AX on 12/19/18) was shipped Friday with Monday delivery ("by 8 PM") promised.

Mailman came and went yesterday and left porch light on until past 8 PM Phoenix time. Track shows:

No longer any mention of "by 8 PM" and I've requested a text after delivery.

I'd be more confident if they could correctly spell Fort Myers....
Art

edit:- __________________________________________________ __________

Well, postman's come and gone again. No package, just usual advertising and a bill.

Now their tracking page's "ChatBot" said wait "7 business days and send them an email".

Then I received a Text promising tomorrow by 8 PM. ...

I know that is so frustrating. When I was expecting special Gibson Limited Edition Guitar, I watched tracking, and called in to work when tracking said " on truck for delivery" at 5:45 am. I kept watching tracking and looking out window, when I saw truck drive by. Tracking changed to "customer not available". Never even slowed down much less stop and knock on door. I feel for ya !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders