AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/2963228-official-channel-master-stream-owners-thread.html)

JHBrandt 03-13-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richart (Post 55843982)
I have noticed a problem with the aspect ratio on one channel. All the SD and HD channels look fine except for one channel where the HD signal is fine but the SD channel picture is very constricted horizontally. I am not finding anything in the Stream+ settings to change this.

I've seen that happen on other tuners. I call it "cube mode." It's a problem at the station, but most tuners have a "stretch" mode to compensate, including the DVR+ where "stretch" was the default. There's probably an aspect ratio setting somewhere; keep looking....

What causes it is, the station pillar-boxes a 4:3 feed so it will display correctly on 16:9 screens, but then flags the subchannel as 4:3 rather than 16:9, causing the channel to be double-pillar-boxed :rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnwinsf (Post 55844784)
Scanning channels went well. But I’m noticing that it doesn’t deal with channels with “weak” signals well. All other TVs, and my older DVR+, handles all channels quickly. They come in fine and fast. But for one channel on the Stream+, which may have a less-than-strong signal, Live Channels says the signal is weak. After a few seconds the channel comes in.

That doesn't sound promising for @criggs , who's trapped behind low-E glass :(
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyard (Post 55846624)
Channel Master has pushed back delivery of Stream+ Pre-orders placed after Jan 4. New date for post January 4 Pre-orders is month of May.

Probably just as well; it sounds like there are several bugs that still need to be addressed, and this will give CM and Google more time for that.

JHBrandt 03-13-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnwinsf (Post 55847218)
For my Google Store app problem (it crashing), Channel Master support suggested I hold the HOME button down for 3-4 seconds, then try again. And if this doesn't work, I should contact Google support since it's their app. That's not happening. If the problem persists, I'll be returning the Stream+. This is Channel Master's device, and it's a new product. I'm not pleased that their solution to almost any problem is to contact Google. I can see a "he said, she said" thing happening, with Google telling me to contact the device maker. I'm not getting into that. You would think Channel Master be more interested in helping early adopters work through these kinds of issues right after the product release.

You know, I don't seem to recall CM ever telling DVR+ owners to contact E*. I realize it's all Google software, but they should be able to relay bug reports to Google the same way they did to E*. I could see CM telling you to contact Google if you were having a problem with an app you downloaded, but this is a core app you need to download other apps!

wiscojim 03-13-2018 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

criggs 03-13-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiscojim (Post 55848378)
didn't take long to see the first one appear on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/263547023419.

$300????!!!!

pilotart 03-13-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by criggs (Post 55848414)
$300????!!!!

Free shipping from Albuquerque and you'll have it next Monday. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyard (Post 55847714)
I know that is so frustrating.
When I was expecting special Gibson Limited Edition Guitar, I watched tracking,
and called in to work when tracking said " on truck for delivery" at 5:45 am.
I kept watching tracking and looking out window, when I saw truck drive by.
Tracking changed to "customer not available". Never even slowed down
much less stop and knock on door. I feel for ya !!

A few years ago I had a Samsung TV (Amazon Seller) eligible for a return,
but the Seller was reluctant.

Luckily I live on a Parkway into a neighborhood with no other exit
except back out past me again.

Saw the truck go on by, but stopped him on his way back out.
He said that the merchant had just called and canceled the pickup,
but I had printed confirmation and phone numbers to call, he took the TV.

I'm sure it was just that my refund was due on their receipt of TV
and by they're jacking me around would just delay things
and perhaps let them off the hook.

I've experienced excellent backing of implied merchantability
and "as described" terms by both eBay and Amazon.

Sellers / Dealers whom you're otherwise wise to avoid are
safe through eBay / Amazon as long as you read all their fine print
and document your issue on the product. :cool:
Art

__________________________________________________ ____
PS

I had to add all the line breaks due to the width of the eBay image,
this will affect all the posts on this page unless @Dr Don or @wiscojim
can shrink the image. I'm looking on a 12" Tablet, it might be worse
on a SmartPhone or perhaps not a problem on my 55" monitor.

wiscojim 03-13-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotart (Post 55848780)
PS

I had to add all the line breaks due to the width of the eBay image,
this will affect all the posts on this page unless @Dr Don or @wiscojim
can shrink the image. I'm looking on a 12" Tablet, it might be worse
on a SmartPhone or perhaps not a problem on my 55" monitor.

Done!

pilotart 03-13-2018 02:21 PM

@wiscojim is a master w/image posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiscojim (Post 55848822)
Done!

Thanks, truly appreciate your fix.

(that I wouldn't begin to know how to do) :o
Art

Valyard 03-13-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiscojim (Post 55848378)

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I do think it's good,.... ( King Crimson Indiscipline)

The NIB DVR+ For $550 a week ago on EBay doesnt look so bad compared to a Stream+ for $300.

Mike Gann 03-13-2018 02:58 PM

Looks like mine is going back to the CM mother ship.
We could not get the Dolby Surround (5.1 AC3) to pass through on the local channels only PCM.

Valyard 03-13-2018 03:26 PM

For the more adventurous user, the Downloader app that I've used to side load apps on to FireTV stick has been added to Google Play store for Android TV OS. It is much easier to use than ES Explorer, ( which is full of Bloatware).

Channel Master does not recommended to side load apps so, I'm not posting links, do your own research, YouTube etc.

pilotart 03-13-2018 04:17 PM

Only DVR+'s seen now on eBay are four (used) on auction with very few bids varying from $100-$240.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...r&_sacat=32852

Watching those may give some idea of a true selling value. If you log-in, you can search historical auction sales and see how final bidding went and if reserves were met.

That "Buy Now" $300 Stream+ is a 30 day listing and you can 'watch' and see how long it's there.

Greasemonkey 03-13-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gann (Post 55849112)
Looks like mine is going back to the CM mother ship.

The return rate over the next 30 days would be an interesting statistic to know. But chances are slim to none that CM is going to make that information public, so all we can do here is use return info provided by people on this thread to plug into a variation of the Drake Equation and calculate what that number might be. Based on the data provided by @Valyard , we know they shipped about 1600 units before they ran out.

fshagan 03-13-2018 06:00 PM

There's an APP in the Play Store you can add to show some of the security details, DRM Info. When installed it gives you information about the supported HDCP levels, DRM, etc.

Widevine Security Level = L1
Max HDCP level supported = HDCP-2.2
MicroSoft Playready DRM = supported
Adobe DRM = not supported
Marlin DRM = not supported
Verimatrix VCAS = not supported
CNEC ClearKey = supported

After setting up, you can go to the Google Play Store and try to install apps. When I go there for Netflix the Stream+ is grayed out and a notice says "no eligible devices for app install" (my tablet and phone are also greyed out). The model number next to the Stream+ is "No carrier Technicolor CM-7600". The Amazon Prime Video app also has the Stream+ grayed out and the same model information is given.

fshagan 03-13-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyard (Post 55849258)
For the more adventurous user, the Downloader app that I've used to side load apps on to FireTV stick has been added to Google Play store for Android TV OS. It is much easier to use than ES Explorer, ( which is full of Bloatware).

Channel Master does not recommended to side load apps so, I'm not posting links, do your own research, YouTube etc.

There's about a hundred "downloader" apps. Does the one you are using have a name?

Valyard 03-13-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHBrandt (Post 55848240)
You know, I don't seem to recall CM ever telling DVR+ owners to contact E*. I realize it's all Google software, but they should be able to relay bug reports to Google the same way they did to E*. I could see CM telling you to contact Google if you were having a problem with an app you downloaded, but this is a core app you need to download other apps!

I'm not aware of any other Android or Android TV device manufacturer who is utilizing Google Live Channels as a selling point, or primary app. In fact Video Strong, the manufacturer who has more units running Android/Android TV than any other, when listing Live Channels, does not show any OTA broadcasts, instead showing Pluto TV, Haywire, Mobdro, and M3u aggregators.

Channel Master is truly unique as they can not use Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other well known logos on retail boxing or ads. Android TV certification is a real plus. Mecool MS8 Pro W, by Video Strong is certified Android TV as well, as Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K support, and starts at $39. Add a HDHOMERUN DUO OTO Tuner refurb, and you have an inexpensive quality system.

It sounds to me like Stream+ Has some hurdles to overcome, and Channel Master has the ability to do that. If Google decides to partner with them a bit, and possibly develop functionalities specific to CM 's device & Users, that would Be great. I haven't seen much support from Google regarding issues with Video Strong devices, or Nvidia Shield.

But things change, and I'm supportive of this device and will support any efforts from forum members to identify issues, and confront Google with reasonable solutions and whatever is necessary to improve Stream+ . Count me in.

Valyard 03-13-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshagan (Post 55850112)
There's about a hundred "downloader" apps. Does the one you are using have a name?

arbegas 03-13-2018 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
feeling very dissapointing. yesterday i try hard drive , now i try microsd card. i cant see those recordings out of stream + , format cant get recognize by windows wth

whats the point of that. :(

fshagan 03-13-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbegas (Post 55850714)
feeling very dissapointing. yesterday i try hard drive , now i try microsd card. i cant see those recordings out of stream + , format cant get recognize by windows wth

whats the point of that. :(

Android evidently "adopts" the storage and encrypts it for security (?) and it will only play back on that individual device. I believe that's the way it works "out of the box". Someone said one of the Android boxes uses a folder to store the files and you can read them. Maybe Nvidia Shield. I don't know if that's possible with this device.

This is a streaming box that integrates OTA broadcasts with some DVR functions, not a DVR that includes some streaming functions like the DVR+ was. If we could mash those two together we might have something great.

arbegas 03-13-2018 09:09 PM

i just plugged to one galaxy 8 with some fat adapter that comes with phone [usb with micro sd ports], it detects it, tell about to make it secure like stream + , but micro sd have information of stream + , so its unrecognized also for other android devices.

arbegas 03-13-2018 11:53 PM

ok i inquiry to channel master and they answer me back.

Thanks for your inquiry. Channel Master does not provide support for offloading recordings onto other devices.

P Smith 03-13-2018 11:54 PM

it could be just attempt to change GUID on it - I would try to "to make it secure" to see if it will have access to recordings or will reformat it

Valyard 03-14-2018 04:21 AM

It's possible that some individual in the future will find a work around for off loading Android TV Google Live Channels recordings. But so far no one has succeeded in using recordings stored in "adopted" storage in any device other than the one with ESN matching coding inbedded at format. There are many posts on Nvidia Shield forums regarding this.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, (EFF), is at the forefront of fighting various DRM strategies used by DVD/Blu Ray manufacturers and has even prevailed in several law suits in this field. Unofficially, they have supported, encouraged, and most likely funded efforts to "free adopted storage". Their mantra on this issue, is that it's your data, you should be entitled to, at the least, back it up, and you should be allowed to view your data on any device.

If a work around is ever developed, my personal opinion, is that it will come directly or indirectly, from efforts by the EFF. They are one of the very few entities that I regularly financially support.

Sam55 03-14-2018 05:12 AM

Got mine Monday. Haven't had much to try it. No mute button? What the????

P Smith 03-14-2018 05:18 AM

Is there Sysinfo screen ? Care to post it before and after initial download ?

fshagan 03-14-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam55 (Post 55851820)
Got mine Monday. Haven't had much to try it. No mute button? What the????

I'm not in front of the tv right now, but while watching a channel click OK then the down arrow. Captions are there, and I think mute is also.

I'm waiting to see if Harmony adds the CM-7600 to their database.

fshagan 03-14-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P Smith (Post 55851842)
Is there Sysinfo screen ? Care to post it before and after initial download ?

Not that I can find. I also can't get back into Setup ... it auto loads when you first power on, but I can't seem to get back to it from Settings or any other place.

edit4ever 03-14-2018 07:43 AM

The EPG only shows 2 days of data - but there is more in the system. If you set a series recording you will see 2 weeks worth of available recording times for a program. So it seems it's just a bug in the guide display.

Not sure why google hasn't addressed this as it has been this way on the Shield and other devices for almost a year. It would also be nice to implement skip forward and back with the left/right dpad while watching. Currently left/right does nothing.

Intheswamp 03-14-2018 07:45 AM

My two units are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They're both for my daughters.

Receiver sensitivity sounds like it's middle of the pack. One daughter will do pretty good with reception, living in a metro market. The other daughter is in a rural area and I had to do a good bit of antenna tinkering to get her OTA coming in good...if the S+ receiver isn't very sensitive it will be a non-starter for her application.

Not having Netflix or Amazon Prime available is kind of a wet blanket on things.

It is interesting, though, to hear of some success using USB hard drives and MicroSD cards of less than U3 ratings.

But, I'm wondering if I really want the hassle of trying to set up two of these boxes, knowing the deficiencies that they already have? Or if I just need to turn the box around back to Channel Master. :confused:

It is beginning to sound like CM may have gotten into too big of a rush to get this out in the market before the product was technically "completed". The 30-day return window may not be enough time for CM to help users work through the glitches, bugs, and "future" features or for the users to determine if they bought a thoroughbred or a nag.

I was excited to begin with about the possibilities of the S+, but it seems the water is turning lukewarm...

lewlew 03-14-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edit4ever (Post 55852554)
The EPG only shows 2 days of data - but there is more in the system. If you set a series recording you will see 2 weeks worth of available recording times for a program. So it seems it's just a bug in the guide display.

Not sure why google hasn't addressed this as it has been this way on the Shield and other devices for almost a year. It would also be nice to implement skip forward and back with the left/right dpad while watching. Currently left/right does nothing.

An easy question: Today is Wednesday. If I wanted to record something that is airing on Sunday evening, do I have to wait till Friday evening to set the recording?

schneid 03-14-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshagan (Post 55852318)
I'm not in front of the tv right now, but while watching a channel click OK then the down arrow. Captions are there, and I think mute is also.

I'm waiting to see if Harmony adds the CM-7600 to their database.

Harmony will allow adding it yourself. Just load the My harmony app, connect via USB, and have it learn the Commands.