AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Official Channel Master Stream+ Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/2963228-official-channel-master-stream-owners-thread.html)

fshagan 06-23-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkbasic (Post 58217992)
Hello. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find exactly where to. I needed some input from owners of this OTA DVR.

I currently have a cheapy ViewTV OTA DVR that serves my needs, but I want something a little better, something more reliable. Had some questions that I couldn't find answers to.

1. Can you start and stop recordings at will? Or can you only set them in advance?

2. When setting a recording in advance, can you edit the times for it to record? From 11:20 AM to 11:45 AM for example? Or does it just record the whole show automatically?

3. Can the recordings/files be accessed with a computer? With my ViewTV, I just disconnect the USB flash drive and I can see the files as MTS files on my PC.

4. Does it work well with USB flash drives? I have a few with fast write speeds that work fantastic on my ViewTV.

Thank you.

1. While watching a program you can start recording it. You can stop recording it at any time.

2. You can't edit the times directly for future shows; it sets the times by the guide data.
3. You cannot easily access the files without knowing how to hack the Android file system. It has been done, but it isn't easy.
4. No, USB drives haven't been reliable in my experience. It has a microSD slot too, but that has proven problematic for storing recordings. CM now recommends a USB hard drive. My experience is that a separately powered USB hard drive is better than one being powered through the port, but others have made it work.

The HDHomerun Duo I have saves files in a format you can access and copy over but they are pretty complex to set up. Their parent company, Silicone Dust, just announced the Scribe Duo that is worth a look: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomer...?skuId=6354194

Other than that, most of the others encrypt the shows you record (Amazon Recast, any of the Android TV devices, etc.)

darkbasic 06-24-2019 08:38 AM

Thank you very much for that informative reply.

The ViewTV I have works alright, just needed something basic, no frills with a duel tuner, start/stop recordings on the fly, and access to the files.

danlshane 07-07-2019 05:21 AM

BULLETIN!

Latest Prime Video APK for Android TV finally solves the audio and video stuttering on the Stream+. No 4K support (yet), but HD video is sharp as can be with no buffering required at program start. It's now my first choice for Prime Video streaming.

Netflix is still disapproved and will not play on our devices. It's a shame since side-loaded Netflix used to perform quite well before the company began blocking it.

merman9393 07-09-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlshane (Post 58267458)
BULLETIN!

Latest Prime Video APK for Android TV finally solves the audio and video stuttering on the Stream+. No 4K support (yet), but HD video is sharp as can be with no buffering required at program start. It's now my first choice for Prime Video streaming.

Netflix is still disapproved and will not play on our devices. It's a shame since side-loaded Netflix used to perform quite well before the company began blocking it.

The rumour is that the official Prime Video app for Android TV/Stream+, is going to hit the Google Play store by end of the day.

The official YouYube app for Fire TV is in the Amazon App Store for some Fire TV devices now, if you already had the official app before Google pulled it, it may just populate in your available apps. This was the agreement reached between Amazon & Google to end their year long disagreements over YouTube and Prime.

Now, if only Netflix would would get over themselves and join the party.

Augerhandle 07-09-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merman9393 (Post 58274798)
The rumour is that the official Prime Video app for Android TV/Stream+, is going to hit the Google Play store by end of the day.

The official YouYube app for Fire TV is in the Amazon App Store for some Fire TV devices now, if you already had the official app before Google pulled it, it may just populate in your available apps. This was the agreement reached between Amazon & Google to end their year long disagreements over YouTube and Prime.

Now, if only Netflix would would get over themselves and join the party.

Too little, too late. Upgraded my TV, and all the streaming apps I use are available there.

danlshane 07-09-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augerhandle (Post 58274842)
Too little, too late. Upgraded my TV, and all the streaming apps I use are available there.

I also use the built-in apps on my LG smart TVs if I really feel the need for 4K, but both of them are older sets with minimal (or no) updates to the streaming apps. You may find that to be the case for you down the road, but hopefully not.

The Android TV apps on my Stream+ get regular updates, and I suspect that open platform will invite continued support for some time to come. Maybe even 4K will appear for Prime Video at some point, though I would be hard pressed to see any difference from the ultra-sharp HD picture I'm getting on the S+ now.

If Netflix ever decides to add the Stream+ to their approved device list I would never have to change inputs again except for Blu-ray viewing.

fshagan 07-09-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merman9393 (Post 58274798)

Anyone have this yet? I still show the official Prime Video app as unavailable for the Stream+.

JJChandler 07-28-2019 09:17 AM

Hey everyone, I received one of the Channel Master Stream+ pre-release units. I've had no problems up until returning from vacation. When I watch TV I'm getting audio popping, audio drop outs, skips in audio and video an occasional full color rastor noise display. The software is up to date, I've reset the unit multiple times but I have not performed a factory reset. The attached USB solid state drive is not full. I've searched the symptoms on google but not found any solutions.

Has anyone else seen this?

arbegas 07-29-2019 09:57 AM

you try with other tv? or other hdmi cable?

masterchang 08-04-2019 12:41 PM

Problems with channelmaster playback

I have the CM-7600 unit and it is hooked up to an OTA antenna. I set it to record shows. When I start playback on a show at some point in the playback it stops and kicks itself back to the beginning of the recorded show. I can fast forward past the point where this happened and there is content there. Any help understanding why it does this? Thanks.

Brian

kevin296 08-04-2019 02:20 PM

Hulu

So... since I saw Hulu finally updated the android version of it's app I decided to check if it somehow passed down to the stream plus. I tried to open Hulu and it is said Hulu couldn't start. I tried to clear the data. Same issue. I uninstalled Hulu and, surprise! Hulu is no longer available. Anyone else notice if Hulu has been removed from the Stream plus? Kinda getting more disappointing instead of better.

arbegas 08-04-2019 04:55 PM

i just get one stream + for 65 in ebay , also one nvidia shield for 90 whats bargain, its hard to find so cheap.

but support from nvidia vs channel master its night and day , there its many pluses with shield.

Kelson 08-04-2019 07:35 PM

I'm curious if anyone has gone through an FCC channel repack with the Stream+ and how Live Channels has handled it. i.e. how long did it take for the guide data to match up properly with the new channels.

danlshane 08-05-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelson (Post 58383150)
I'm curious if anyone has gone through an FCC channel repack with the Stream+ and how Live Channels has handled it. i.e. how long did it take for the guide data to match up properly with the new channels.

Our local area repack is scheduled for next month (September), so I'll be checking this myself.

fshagan 08-05-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelson (Post 58383150)

The guide data in my Stream+ was accurate from the time I rescanned the channels. But the Stream+ is on an attic antenna and only brings in a few channels, and only two of the channels moved.

bajatrvlr 08-12-2019 04:35 PM

Has anyone had any issues with an LG 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV recognizing a Stream+ ? No one at either Channel Master or LG have heard anything about this issue...
I've tried the usual fixes (different HDMI cable, factory reset, etc) to no avail. When I first power on the TV after resetting it, it shows the CM Home screen, then it blacks out, saying it doesn't recognize something (I think it said the format type, but it was so fast I couldn't make note of it).

My Sony that's 10+ years old has absolutely no problem with it, so I know it's working...

danlshane 08-13-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajatrvlr (Post 58415124)
Has anyone had any issues with an LG 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV recognizing a Stream+ ? No one at either Channel Master or LG have heard anything about this issue...

I own two LG 4K TVs (one LED and one OLED), and both work well with the connected Stream+ devices. Both are channeled through an Onkyo A/V receiver on HDMI1 input. I did need to upgrade my HDMI cables for them to work with the new Onkyos.

I also needed to disable CEC on the TV and Stream+ for reliable device recognition.

bajatrvlr 08-13-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlshane (Post 58417048)
I own two LG 4K TVs (one LED and one OLED), and both work well with the connected Stream+ devices. Both are channeled through an Onkyo A/V receiver on HDMI1 input. I did need to upgrade my HDMI cables for them to work with the new Onkyos.

I also needed to disable CEC on the TV and Stream+ for reliable device recognition.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term CEC, could you elaborate?

JoeKustra 08-13-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajatrvlr (Post 58417760)
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term CEC, could you elaborate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum...ronics_Control

google

bajatrvlr 08-13-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeKustra (Post 58417956)

Thank you, I should have known that.

bajatrvlr 08-13-2019 03:20 PM

All's well...

It didn't occur to me that I needed any different HDMI cables, but I did purchase 4K cables from Amazon and just like that, the Stream+ fired right up. I must be getting old...
Anyway, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

danlshane 08-14-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajatrvlr (Post 58419202)
It didn't occur to me that I needed any different HDMI cables, but I did purchase 4K cables from Amazon and just like that, the Stream+ fired right up. I must be getting old...
Anyway, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Glad you got it sorted. New HDMI standards are pretty picky these days.

Baymavision 08-18-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshagan (Post 58387566)
The guide data in my Stream+ was accurate from the time I rescanned the channels. But the Stream+ is on an attic antenna and only brings in a few channels, and only two of the channels moved.

The guide data matched up straight away, but Live Channels treats the rescanned channels as new channels. So, in my case, anything I had set up to record on NBC, will not record. I have had to set up each show again. That's going to be a pain when the new season starts in the coming months.