Best $40 box tuners HomeWorx, Iview, ViewTv, etc. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 1 Post By ncsercs

post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2018, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Best $40 box tuners HomeWorx, Iview, ViewTv, etc.

I know that Hauppauge has the best tuners but out of the $40 boxes from HomeWorx, Iview, ViewTv, etc. Which one has the best tuner or are they all mediocre at best?

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
I believe they are all the same basic chinese M* box. Just some external cosmetic differences, remote differences and some firmware variations. But otherwise the internals are all the same. People seem to favor the iView and HomeWorx variations. Tuners tend to be situational.
jjeff likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
I know that Hauppauge has the best tuners but out of the $40 boxes from HomeWorx, Iview, ViewTv, etc. Which one has the best tuner or are they all mediocre at best?
I wouldn’t call it mediocre. My HomeWorx box does 100% of what I expected it to do I have the HW-150PVR and cost 26 bucks. I added a 1T drive to it and that was plug and go for recording. The digital audio out was a feature I needed as my old receiver doesn’t have HDMI. It is supplying a great 110” image for my projector and I’m getting 16 channels that eliminate the need for cable or satellite as internet streaming covers the rest of my needs. I’m even using the A/V out run to a small TV as a monitor to save turning on the projector for setting up a recording.

The only glitch I have seen so far is on my projector I have the HDMI plugged into HDMI-2. If I don’t fire the projector first and switch to HDMI-2 before powering the HomeWorx up it wont find it. kind of a handshake issue I guess. Not a problem at all once you know it is an issue.

I cant speak to the other boxes as I haven’t owned them but I think the assessment they all work the same for the most part is correct.

It would be nice as the projector doesn’t have a tuner to have dual tuners in the box for record and watch at same time.

Other than that I would buy another or recommend one of these cheap boxes.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
They're all pretty similar. For general use, I'd probably recommend the HomeWorX. Its firmware is better than most and Mediasonic is still working on improving it. However I've heard the HW-150 model, with component and digital audio outputs, is no longer available, and their remote controls aren't very good.

If you're more of a tinkerer, the iView is a better choice. The 3500 (with those component outputs) is available and has a decent remote, and even the 3200 has digital audio. The only problem is you'll probably want to revert the firmware to an older version after you get it - their latest firmware has some problems. Luckily iView posts firmware on their web site, so you can do that without a lot of trouble.

The ViewTV has always interested me. Its remote looks nice. But I don't own one. There's a thread on this forum for it but I haven't seen a lot of info posted about it yet, so I don't have much of a basis to form an opinion about it yet.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The ViewTV has always interested me. Its remote looks nice. But I don't own one. There's a thread on this forum for it but I haven't seen a lot of info posted about it yet, so I don't have much of a basis to form an opinion about it yet.
I have two of the ViewAT's at 263 and a 150 or something....

I chose the ViewAT's for their COMPONENT out and HDMI output.

I connect one to the COMPONENT input, and one to the 2nd HDMI.. If I could find a decent HDMI PIP switch I would run it all through HDMI.

I got the 263 as it has 24 hr time the 1xx doesn't and a signal strength readout versus just the quality readout. While both are some what useless as there is no reference point, the signal is in % percent of what referenced to what? 0dbM???? who knows... but it does give some sort of an indicator.

The work much like the other units. Flukes, quirks, and foibles.

What else would you like to know?

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How about some screen shots? If you could post the menus, particularly the System / Information display. The screens are usually pretty similar between these MStar boxes, but there are some telling differences.

Also, what's your opinion of the ViewTV remote control? It looks better to me than a lot of the remotes for these boxes, but you can't always tell from a pic.

I found the ViewTV thread I mentioned before. It's for the AT163 model: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...wtv-163-a.html. You might prefer to post over there instead of here, particularly if you have that model; or in both places. I don't know.

BTW, I posted a link to ViewTV's latest firmware (V4 for the AT163) at the end of that thread.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've always considered the other remotes to be too small and the iView 3500II to be a little too big.

The ViewTV remote is just the right size.
JHBrandt likes this.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree; the typical remote for these boxes is way too small. And except for the Terk, the buttons are too mushy. Even the Terk remote is too small though.

The HW-150's remote is a bit bigger, but it has a terrible layout and poor color choices that make it too hard to use.

I wish ViewTV sold their remotes separately. I'm guessing their firmware would work on at least some of the other boxes, such as the Terk.

I do like the iView 3500STBII remote, though. The buttons are a bit mushy, but they're big and have some "travel" to them which helps. Plus there's that learning section so you can control your TV without having to switch remotes. And for the most part, the button layout is reasonable. If only it had a back-light....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page