Iview Cyber Box - Android 7.1 w/tuner - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3063 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
I'm continuing to play with the DTV app. One small but nice improvement over the 7802 firmware is the app's favorite lists. The 7802 firmware allowed four favorite lists, with fixed names: "Movie", "Music," "News," and "Sport". Those names don't fit typical OTA stations very well; in DFW, we currently have (excluding religious channels) one "Music" station (Circle), one "News" station (actually a weather station, but it's the closest I could find), and two "Sport" stations (Stadium and BeIN Xtra). The CyberBox DTV app does much better: it allows 10 favorite lists, and you get to pick the names of the lists yourself.

Naming the lists requires a keyboard, so I got to check out the remote's built-in keyboard. The box comes preconfigured for it: there's no need for pairing. All you have to do is plug the RF dongle into one of the USB ports, press the (counter-intuitively-labeled) red "TV" button on the remote (switches it to RF mode, enabling not only the keyboard but also a "tilt-action" mouse), and flip it over to the keyboard side.

BTW, if you blocked the CyberBox's IR sensor, RF mode would also solve the conflict with having a 7802-based iView in the same room. Edit: Turns out that wouldn't quite work. Some of the remote buttons have different functions in RF mode! For example, the CC and EPG buttons become page up/down buttons in RF mode, leaving you without a button to bring up the EPG. So I thought I had a nice idea, but no banana.

The keyboard is certainly better than the on-screen keyboard used by the 7802 firmware. (For one thing, it includes a space bar!) But it could still use some work. Digits and special characters are mostly accessed by pressing "Alt" and a letter, but the Alt labels are printed on the keys in dark blue - and the keys themselves are black! So the labels are tough to read even in good light (and naturally the keyboard has no backlight). For an occasional use like this, it gets the job done; but for more keyboard-intensive apps like email, you'll probably want a full-size BlueTooth keyboard instead.

At any rate, with the keyboard you can rename your Favorite lists to your liking. Ten lists is enough that everyone in the household can have their own list, and you can also have "category" lists (like the four built into the 7802 firmware, but more relevant to your actual stations: Classic TV, Kids/Family, Crime, etc.). As with the 7802 firmware, you can also delete unwanted channels, or set them to be skipped when surfing but still accessible by bringing up the channel list (by pressing OK while watching TV). It appears to also let you "lock" channels with the parental-controls password, but I haven't tried this function yet.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-11-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quirks and Annoyances

Every tuner has them; this one is no exception. I'll expand this post as I find more.

• If you press OK, a nice feature is that you can scroll left and right through the various Favorites lists you have set up. But as you do so, the channel changes to the first channel on that list! You can't browse Favorites without changing the channel.
  • If you select a channel from a Favorites list, you're "locked" into the channels on that list until you press OK and navigate back to the "All" or "ATSC" lists that contain all your channels. (Presumably if you have cable, there would be a "Cable" list, and possibly a "Radio" list if you have any audio-only channels, in lieu of the "ATSC" list. I suppose if you had an RF switch, you could have both ATSC and Cable lists. I wonder if that's a possible use of the otherwise-largely-useless "Antenna Power" feature?)
  • When entering text (e.g., renaming a Favorites list), you seem to have to use the remote's mouse to point to the onscreen "OK" button to exit the text box. Simply pressing the OK button on the remote won't do the trick.
  • In the EPG for the current day, the entire EIT for the current time is shown. This usually includes shows that have already ended, so they obviously can't be selected to view or record. The currently-airing show is flagged in the EPG though.
  • It appears the app was intended for a satellite TV receiver. Several screens reference a nonexistent "Sat" button for various functions, the channel banner shows frequency and PID values that are meaningless to 99% of viewers, and the "Sort" function (when editing Favorites lists) offers satellite-specific sort sequences. In some cases the lack of a "Sat" button limits functionality.
  • There's an "i" symbol on some EPG listings on some stations. No idea what this means.
  • Time-shifting is broken. You can pause and resume, but trying to FF or rewind within the buffer just freezes the playback. Your only option is to exit to live viewing.
  • They left the "Stop" button off the remote! It has all the usual transport buttons except for that one!
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to bring up the extended description for an EPG listing.
  • The power button doesn't work correctly in RF mode. The box turns off, then comes right back on again.
  • The remote appears to be intended for a Windows box. The big clue is the Microsoft Edge logo next to the Return button! Needless to say, there is no Edge browser on the CyberBox (although if you want it, you can install Edge from the Play Store, and - let's be honest - Chrome isn't much different anyway). The good news is, the Return button will (in RF mode) launch your default browser, whether it's Edge, Chrome, or whatever.
  • Minor, but the manual repeatedly refers to the CyberBox as the "Smartbox." Apparently it was rebranded recently.
arbegas likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-03-2020 at 08:40 PM.
post #33 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Discovered an intriguing option in the PVR setup menu: apparently you can set the app to record either the current service (subchannel) or the whole TS! IOW you can set it to record every subchannel on that particular ATSC signal at once. That would obviously make the recordings much larger, but since this box has only one tuner, it's the only way you could possibly make multiple recordings at the same time (if you're lucky enough to want to record two subchannels that happen to be on the same RF signal).
arbegas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Discovered an intriguing option in the PVR setup menu: apparently you can set the app to record either the current service (subchannel) or the whole TS! IOW you can set it to record every subchannel on that particular ATSC signal at once. That would obviously make the recordings much larger, but since this box has only one tuner, it's the only way you could possibly make multiple recordings at the same time (if you're lucky enough to want to record two subchannels that happen to be on the same RF signal).
Have you tried installing any Apps?
I am primarily interested in Kodi.
FYI: I ordered a Cyberbox yesterday through Walmart.
Should get it in about a week.
post #35 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does buffering work the same way as it does with the 7802?

Edit: I figured out the timeshifting mode, although I still can't get the timeshifting indicator to disappear (or the record indicator, if in recording mode, to disappear).

... when I do hit record on the S905D, I can't seem to make the record timer disappear. What am I missing?

Playing a PVR recording with the default movie player works well enough, but I can't turn off the closed caption display. Neither the subtitle button (within the movie player app) nor the CC button on the remote has any effect while in the movie player app. The CC button does work properly within the DTV app.

The PVR recordings all have the same volume level within movie player as they do when viewed live within the DTV app. I had problems with the 7802 with low volume level of PVR recordings. No such problems with the S905D. Even 7802 recordings that are present on this thumb drive play with good volume level on the S905D, while they do not on the 7802.

Overall I find the DTV/PVR functions on the cyber box to be a significantly better experience than the 7802. The extended length guide data alone makes it a vastly better experience. Several channels in my area have 5 days of guide data, and the rest have at least 3 days.

Last edited by Chut Mingy; 01-11-2020 at 07:12 PM.
post #36 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chut Mingy View Post
Does buffering work the same way as it does with the 7802?

With the 7802, I'd hit record and then I'd be able to pause or rewind into the back buffer. It doesn't seem to be working the same on the S905D.
The 7802 boxes have two very similar buffering functions. One is invoked by pressing Pause/Play twice (once to Pause, again tp Play); the other is invoked by pressing Record then Play. iView calls the first one "time shifting" and the second "chase play," but on the 7802 they're almost identical.

"Time shifting" works very similarly on the Cyberbox. The first thing you should do (after plugging in a drive, of course) is hit Menu and go to Settings / PVR Settings. There's an option to set your time-shifting buffer, which defaults to only 5 minutes. I changed mine to 1 hour (the maximum). (One difference is the 7802 specifies the buffer size in MB/GB, not in amount of time.)

Then it works basically the same as the 7802. Press Pause/Play. Video will pause and the app will start buffering. Then press Pause/Play again and the video will resume (several seconds behind the live broadcast, depending on how long you left it paused). You can rewind and fast-forward within the buffer, which extends from the live broadcast back either 1 hour or to when you first pressed Pause/Play. Edit: There seem to be serious bugs with rewind and fast-forward during time-shifting. It pauses fine, and plays fine, so you can run to the bathroom without missing anything, but when the next commercial comes, you need to be able to fast-forward. But every time I try, it just freezes, and then all I can do is exit time-shifting entirely, which may bring me too far forward, with no option to back up again! I sure hope iView updates the DTV app to address this. It needs to work at least like it does on the 7802 boxes.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-13-2020 at 05:50 PM.
post #37 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Several channels in my area have 5 days of guide data, and the rest have at least 3 days.
Lucky dog - we only have one with 3 days - PBS. Most have 2 but a few only have the FCC-required minimum of 4 EITs (9-12 hours).

But based on what I've read, Dallas/Ft.Worth is still way ahead of many locations. Many OTA TV markets seem to have most of their stations at 1 day or less.

At any rate, I agree that the Cyberbox EPG is much easier to use and navigate than the 7802 version. It's easier to read, supports more than 24 hours, and there's no silly "press 1 to page down, 2 to page up" nonsense - on the Cyberbox you navigate with the cursor keys just as you'd expect. The left/right keys just navigate between days rather than becoming channel-changing keys!

A grid-style guide (like my old DTVPal converter box or the CM-7004) would be even better, but I understand TiVo managed to get a patent on grid-style on-screen guides! So given that constraint, this is pretty good.

Speaking of the CM-7004, it wouldn't surprise me to see Channel Master drop that product in favor of a new CM-7005 clone of this box. (It's what they do.) OTOH, that would put a lot of price pressure on their Stream+, especially since this box has Hulu and Netflix apps, and the Stream+ doesn't....
post #38 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeajea View Post
Well, I just installed Sling TV, and it works just like it does on my Roku.

The only concern you might have with Kodi is, the Cyberbox just has regular Android, not Android TV, so the hooks for accessing its tuner are probably completely nonstandard; thus "off-the-shelf" apps probably won't be able to use the Cyberbox's tuner.

But if you have another tuner on your network (like an HDHomeRun for example), apps on the Cyberbox can probably use it without any trouble. The Sling TV app was able to access my AirTV box just fine and play a recording I made on the AirTV some time ago.
post #39 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 09:36 PM

I may have overstated the extent of the guide data. Checking again now, on Saturday evening, most channels have guide data up through and including the end of Wednesday. I could only find a few channels where the guide didn't extend through the end of Wednesday.

The Cyber Box seems more comparable to the CM-7600 rather than the CM-7004.

Although the Stream+ has a very nice DTV app, what I didn't like about it was that there wasn't any non-internet option for guide data. It would be nice if the app allowed selection of either PSIP or the net option supplied by google.

For many reasons, I'd take any one of these S905D boxes over the Stream+.

Aliexpress, alibaba, and the like are chock full of what appear to be virtual clones of the Cyber Box. All are super cheap.

While the Amlogic S905D (unlike the S905) can support two tuners, I've found only one model that has two ATSC tuners; the Geniatech ATV1965. It is not cheap. I haven't checked if the newer Amlogic CPUs have more OEMs making dual tuner boxes.

Since some of the S905D builds based on 7.1x have widevine L1, Channel Master could definitely do well with something cheap like this. But if they behaved like every other brander that has no say on the workings of the box, then they'd be no different than all of the less recognizable names doing the same thing.
post #40 of 91 Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

in windows 10 pot player its capable of this also.
post #41 of 91 Old 01-12-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I just installed Sling TV, and it works just like it does on my Roku.

The only concern you might have with Kodi is, the Cyberbox just has regular Android, not Android TV, so the hooks for accessing its tuner are probably completely nonstandard; thus "off-the-shelf" apps probably won't be able to use the Cyberbox's tuner.

But if you have another tuner on your network (like an HDHomeRun for example), apps on the Cyberbox can probably use it without any trouble. The Sling TV app was able to access my AirTV box just fine and play a recording I made on the AirTV some time ago.
And now, I've had my first disappointment. After installing Sling, I decided to install Spectrum TV. Their app installs and runs fine, but refuses to play anything: I get a curt message from Spectrum that "This app is not supported on this device. Please try another device." My Roku and iPad run Spectrum's app just fine, so it's annoying that it won't work here. I was hoping it could become a second Roku that happened to include a tuner, but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

The problem may be the lack of Widevine support that Chut Mingy mentioned.
post #42 of 91 Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
in windows 10 pot player its capable of this also.
Well, lots of things are possible on a Windows PC. There was once a freeware Windows PVR app called MediaPortal (may still exist) that could record multiple simultaneous programs from one tuner too. This is the first STB-like device I've seen with a feature like that, however.

BTW, while angrily uninstalling the Spectrum app, I discovered that most of iView's "bloatware" can be uninstalled from the Settings app. I think I'll uninstall the monster Faceboox (279 MB!) and Google (143 MB) apps. That's almost half a gig!

Usually on Android devices, pre-installed apps can't be fully uninstalled without root, and even if you have root and uninstall them, the space they waste can't be used for your own apps because user apps are in a different partition than system and pre-installed apps.
post #43 of 91 Old 01-12-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I may have overstated the extent of the guide data. Checking again now, on Saturday evening, most channels have guide data up through and including the end of Wednesday. I could only find a few channels where the guide didn't extend through the end of Wednesday.
They may be doing what our NBC affiliate used to do. They used to "load up" their EPG on Monday morning with the week's schedule, so you started out with 6 days. That would slowly dwindle down through the week until Friday, when they'd "load it up" again through Monday or so. Then the next Monday the cycle would start over again.
Quote:
The Cyber Box seems more comparable to the CM-7600 rather than the CM-7004.
Sad but true. I mentioned the CM-7004 mostly because (even ignoring the $49 sale price) the two boxes are in about the same price range (and a bit because both boxes rely on PSIP for their EPGs).
Quote:
Although the Stream+ has a very nice DTV app, what I didn't like about it was that there wasn't any non-internet option for guide data. It would be nice if the app allowed selection of either PSIP or the net option supplied by google.
Yes; unfortunately that's typical Google. They aren't going to make it easy to disconnect from the 'net and avoid sending them all the data they collect about you.
Quote:
Since some of the S905D builds based on 7.1x have widevine L1, Channel Master could definitely do well with something cheap like this. But if they behaved like every other brander that has no say on the workings of the box, then they'd be no different than all of the less recognizable names doing the same thing.
True; often, that's what Channel Master does anyway. The CM-7003 was just their version of a 7802 box, with nothing to distinguish it. The CM-7004 is a clone of an Insignia tuner (except Insignia rightly removed the clunky, unreliable DVR function from their version) and is overpriced except when CM puts it on sale.

CM should sell two versions of this box: one basically the same as the Cyberbox, to replace the CM-7004, and one with two tuners (like the Geniatech), and a much better DVR app with an optional Internet guide, to replace the Stream+ and their beloved DVR+. Those replacements would be well worth the $89 and $149 respectively they charge for their current offerings.
post #44 of 91 Old 01-12-2020, 01:27 PM

I haven't checked the widevine level yet. Some boxes using the S905D (Mecool KII) claim to have a build with a widevine L1 private key.

But apparently some of the tv box hacking sites extracted the key to use on other tv boxes, and then it was blacklisted.

So, I suppose app functionality will depend if the app will allow L3 decryption, if the the box does not support L1.

I plan to install the TF (micro SD) socket later today. If it works it can be used for additional apps or as removable storage.
post #45 of 91 Old 01-12-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Whatever the cause of Spectrum not working, as long as Sling works it's only a temporary problem. I'm only on Spectrum because they had a terrific offer: 10 cable channels of my choice for $21.99/mo, plus all five major premium channels for only $15/mo more. Of course they also charged me $3/mo (now up to $6/mo) for the local channels I already get for free, plus all the fees cable cos. tack on, but it still ended up being a better deal than Sling, so I switched.

That deal runs out this summer, at which point I'm all but certain to switch back to Sling.
post #46 of 91 Old 01-13-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Whatever the cause of Spectrum not working, as long as Sling works it's only a temporary problem. I'm only on Spectrum because they had a terrific offer: 10 cable channels of my choice for $21.99/mo, plus all five major premium channels for only $15/mo more. Of course they also charged me $3/mo (now up to $6/mo) for the local channels I already get for free, plus all the fees cable cos. tack on, but it still ended up being a better deal than Sling, so I switched.

That deal runs out this summer, at which point I'm all but certain to switch back to Sling.
My primary use of Kodi is to play video files including ISO
files over my network from a NAS. I also use the HDhomerun app
control the HDHR DVR. I am currently using a Shield TV for both.

It appears that my Cyber Box is arriving today. The status shows
out for delivery.
post #47 of 91 Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suspect the Spectrum app was kind of a special case because of the need to encrypt video. Kodi doesn't rely on encryption, so it will probably work, but let us know: we can't be sure until someone tries it out!

Even though the Sling TV app seemed to work, I probably need to double-check by streaming something. (I missed out on their free trial early this month but I think they still make a few shows available for free.) It might work fine with my AirTV box, but still not stream shows from the Sling server, where encryption comes into play.

Changing the subject, I noticed the CyberBox comes with Skype pre-installed, which makes me wonder: how do you use Skype without a microphone? Does iView sell a mic for the CyberBox? I didn't see one at their Web site.

I also noticed the RF remote is not BlueTooth. It works even though BT is turned off at the CyberBox. (Although maybe that's how you get a mic for it; use a BT earpiece intended for a cell phone?)
post #48 of 91 Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
post #49 of 91 Old 01-13-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope - recordings are named <channel>-yyyymmddhhmmss.ts. Same as the 7802 box, except the extension is .ts instead of .mts.

But at least they changed the name of the folder to DTVRecordFiles instead of "HBPVR"....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-13-2020 at 04:26 PM.
post #50 of 91 Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Could the Cyber Box be used as a replacement / upgrade for the iView 3500stbii to watch / record OTA programs ? I do not presently have internet access or cable service. Remote looks somewhat cumbersome compared to 3500.
post #51 of 91 Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM

As far as I can tell, all of the OTA/DVR functions (with the supplied app) work as well as they can without any net connection. I haven't connected my cyber box to the net yet.
post #52 of 91 Old 01-15-2020, 05:21 PM

5.1 audio over HDMI?

Does anyone know the Cyberbox settings for 5.1 audio over HDMI?
My iView 3500 hundred is connected to the TV through a HDMI switch. The TV is
connected to via digital optical to the AVR. With this setup I get 5.1 sound. I
also get 5.1 sound when using the TV tuner so I believe the TV and AVR settings
are correct. I have tried the Cyberbox both through the switch and
directly connected to the TV. I don’t want to connect the Cyberbox to
the TV through the AVR.

My initial observations.
Upscaling from 1080i and 720p to 4K are at least as good as my TV.
The box is smaller than the 3500 but appears to run reasonably cool.
The 3500 remote works with the Cyberbox but the left and
right buttons are reversed. I don’t know if the 3500 stop button works
because I haven’t made any recordings.

The manual is at best incomplete.
For example, there is nothing about how to put batteries in the remote or
even that it needs them installed. I finally noticed that the plastic on
the right side of the keyboard had small groves that weren’t on the
left side. I pushed right on that part of the case and the battery
compartment cover slid off. The USB dingle for the keyboard was
inside the battery compartment. The remote uses two AAA cells.

On the 3500 the return button selects previous channel. On the Cyberbox return
button pops up a message asking if you want to exit the DTV app. Does the
Cyber box have a different button for previous channel?
post #53 of 91 Old 01-15-2020, 05:57 PM

My box didn't set the date and time until I connected it to the Internet. However,
I think you can set the date and time manually.
post #54 of 91 Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On the 3500 the return button selects previous channel. On the Cyberbox return button pops up a message asking if you want to exit the DTV app. Does the Cyber box have a different button for previous channel?
No, I think this is a Cyberbox bug. Return does the same thing as Exit. It sounds to me like someone took the word "Return" too literally: they knew English, but not how those particular words are typically used on remote controls.
post #55 of 91 Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 PM

As mentioned in prior thread posts (here and here), there are some issues with the time-shifting feature (hereafter "TS").

I've been trying to isolate when TS doesn't work properly, because sometimes it does work properly.

TS does always at least activate. Pause (and resume) always seem to work, so long as nothing but those two are attempted.

The primary issue is when there is any attempt to navigate within the buffer, such as rew/ff.

Rew/ff mostly seems to work on mostly non-hd channels without issue, regardless of the length of the buffer.

Rew/ff mostly seem to fail on hd channels whenever the buffer is set longer than 15 minutes, but rew/ff mostly seems to work on those same channels when the buffer is set to 15 minutes or less. However, sometimes, for unknown reason(s), rew/ff will sometimes work on those same channels with a longer (60 minute) buffer. Usually it is when the buffer is left to fill for awhile before a rew/ff action is attempted. I can't narrow down exactly how much fill time is required.

Note: a 15 minute buffer setting requires the primary PVR setting to be "user-defined", and the 15 minute value to be manually entered whenever the TS feature is activated.

So, for the time being, in order for the time-shifting feature to work reliably in every case, a 15 minutes buffer length should be used. If anyone is having a different experience, please share. I haven't tried any other storage device other than a FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive.

I really need something like a 3 hour buffer.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #56 of 91 Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Not reliable buffering would be a deal-breaker for me -- unless it always consistently worked in the short time-frame buffer. One of the more important jobs of my Franken-iView (a Mediasonic box flashed with iView firmware) is for matching my local football television broadcast during the season to the radio stream of the game so I can get my preferred home team radio broadcast call of the game while watching it on TV. There's always a bit of fiddling within the buffer for a few minutes into the game to get things perfectly matched up. This is something the Franken-iView does really well (and I've got it set for a full 4GB buffer even though I can't recall ever pausing it more than 2 minutes).

The other primary use of the Franken-iView is for recording my wife's M-F chat and cooking shows. I've found that getting the recordings off the drive, commercial-removed, and over to the new media server I built is faster when the source is the Franken-iView than anything else.

Quick follow-up questions: Does the cyberbox have pass-through available when making the connection to the television? Right now, I don't use a splitter from the antenna, instead opting for the antenna into the Franken-iView and coax from the F-Iview into the TV. The box is also hooked up via HDMI for viewing football season, but often live TV (morning and evening news) is done just using the TV tuner as the box passes on the signal to the television when it's in stand-by mode (as well as when recording - but I've noticed a drop in signal when recording). Way up in far-north Boonie-Land where I live, I'm about 67 miles from the station where my wife's daily shows come from. Even with a pretty beefy VHF-Hi specific antenna, I don't have a lot of signal loss to give so putting a splitter in the equation would be detrimental to what now works perfectly (at least without adding an amp to the equation). Not having the option for pass-through would be a step backwards as both my wife and I prefer the actual TV tuner, interface, and remote for live viewing as opposed to an m-star box interface.

I also assume the recordings are pretty much the same transport-stream format as existing boxes? It really is easier than my network tuner to get a bunch of M-F shows off the Franken-iView by simply grabbing the drive. I can get all of her daily shows, commercial remove (by hand - which is 10 times faster than using an automated solution), and then moved to the media server. I'm assuming there is still the ease of accessing recordings.

Still no M-F recording options? Daily (which includes the weekend), weekly, or one-time still the only options?
post #57 of 91 Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Does the cyberbox have pass-through available when making the connection to the television?
I just tried this, and the answer seems to be Yes! RF is passed through whether the Cyberbox is on or in standby.

In fact, pass-through is apparently the only thing the RF output can be used for. The Cyberbox doesn't seem to have a working RF modulator! (No big loss, of course.)
Quote:
I also assume the recordings are pretty much the same transport-stream format as existing boxes?
Recordings seem to be in .ts format instead of .mts, but that's a very minor difference. .m[2]ts files add a 4-byte timestamp to each 188-byte packet, making the mStar's files ever-so-slightly larger; .ts just records the 188-byte packets exactly as received.
Quote:
I'm assuming there is still the ease of accessing recordings.
Android does create a few more folders than iView's mStar firmware, but it's still basically the same process.
Quote:
Still no M-F recording options?
*sigh* Some things never change....
Quote:
Daily (which includes the weekend), weekly, or one-time still the only options?
There is a new option, but it's useless AFAICS: Monthly (records on the same day of each month). How many TV shows do you know of that air the same day each month, regardless of the day of the week? Maybe this happens in China (but they use a different calendar anyhow).
post #58 of 91 Old 01-18-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One important note: make sure to go to the "Database Manager" and use "Backup User Data" before you start playing around with settings! Somehow I lost my entire channel list and had to use "Restore User Data" to get it back. I didn't run a channel scan so I have no idea what I did to erase my channel list.
Quote:
Rew/ff mostly seems to work on mostly non-hd channels without issue, regardless of the length of the buffer.

Rew/ff mostly seem to fail on hd channels whenever the buffer is set longer than 15 minutes, but rew/ff mostly seems to work on those same channels when the buffer is set to 15 minutes or less.

Note: a 15 minute buffer setting requires the primary PVR setting to be "user-defined", and the 15 minute value to be manually entered whenever the TS feature is activated.

I haven't tried any other storage device other than a FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive.
I wonder if an NTFS format would work better? I'm thinking the CyberBox calculates a buffer size based on the number of minutes you choose and whether the channel is SD or HD. On a FAT32 volume, the max. file size is 4 GiB, which ought to allow for at least a 30-minute buffer. I seem to be having better luck with a 30-minute buffer than I did with a 60-minute one.

There also seems to be a bug when starting time-shifting. It seems to think you're at the beginning of the 15 (or whatever) minute buffer rather than at the end. At the very least, the display is confusing.

And there's a minor bug in the FF function. It goes: X2, X4, X8, X16, and X32, but at the latter two speeds, the last digit is cut off, making them appear to be X1 and X3, respectively. Finally, when time-shifting is active, the Pause/Play button seems to be misinterpreted as the GoTo button, so once you back up into the buffer, you can't pause - you can only rewind, FF, or play.

The mStar boxes definitely have the Cyberbox beat when it comes to time-shifting.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-18-2020 at 11:52 AM.
post #59 of 91 Old 01-18-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope - recordings are named <channel>-yyyymmddhhmmss.ts. Same as the 7802 box, except the extension is .ts instead of .mts.

But at least they changed the name of the folder to DTVRecordFiles instead of "HBPVR"....
Slight correction: the recording I made has <channel> followed by two dashes, not one.

This may seem minor, but I've seen this format once before: on an mStar box by Terk. The Terk version of mStar firmware tries to insert the show title between the two dashes, but it's buggy and often fails to pick up the show title. When that happens the recording has two dashes like that.

That makes me think the Cyberbox does the same thing, and has the same bugs. So maybe sometimes it will include the show title in the recording name.
post #60 of 91 Old 01-18-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quirks and Annoyances (Android)

Ran into some problems/annoyances outside the DTV app today.

1. Web browser
    The built-in Web browser is Chrome, of course, but it's Chrome 66, which is out of date. However, try as I might, I couldn't get the update to install in Google Play Store. It would download, then just error out.

So I decided to try Firefox. Went to Mozilla.org/firefox and clicked the download link. Play Store opened again, but told me Firefox was "not compatible with my device." This is getting ridiculous! Firefox works just fine on my Android 6 phone; why isn't it compatible with Android 7.1?

Finally wound up installing Microsoft Edge! It's based on Chromium just like Chrome, but at least it downloaded and installed just fine.

Opera (also based on Chromium) might be another good choice. Edit: Discovered Edge was absolutely huge (>200MB!) so I tried Opera after all. Opera is very nice and less than half the whopping size of Edge.

And finally, I did get a version of Firefox to install. Downloaded & installed FF 52.0.2, the last version that didn't require the NEON instruction set. I didn't know if NEON was the incompatibility Play Store was complaining about earlier, but FF 52 seems to run fine. FF is even smaller than Opera, so it looks like a "keeper." Edit: One of my favorite extensions for Firefox, or any browser, is a content blocker called uBlock Origin. So I went to download it, but ran into more problems. First, the addons.mozilla.org site doesn't let Android users see older versions of add-ons, and the latest uBO version isn't compatible with FF 52. So I had to update to FF 55. As it happens, FF 55 is compatible with the Cyberbox (so I guess the S905D supports NEON after all), and it let me install the latest uBO - but it wouldn't work!

So I tried Firefox 56, and at last, uBO started working. I don't want to go past FF 56 because that's the last version before FF "Quantum" became Mozilla's thing, so that's where I'll leave things for now.

As for Chrome, I finally "solved" it by enabling developer options, enabling root access in developer options, moving the Chrome folder from /system/app to /sdcard (in case of disaster), rebooting so Android would realize Chrome was gone, then installing it as a brand-new user app. Now I'm finally on Chrome 79 (although I'm sticking with FF as my default browser). But I still would love to know what the heck was keeping Chrome from updating in the first place. You shouldn't have to go through all that nonsense just to update your browser!

BTW, regarding browser size, from smallest to largest they were: FF 52, Opera, Chrome 79, and Edge.

2. Wallpaper
    This is an annoyance I really don't understand. You simply cannot set wallpaper on the Cyberbox. The background is always just a plain black screen. Any attempt to set wallpaper either crashes or just doesn't do anything.

Ironically, it looks like wallpaper is supposed to work, because there's a default_wallpaper.png file in /system/etc. Rather curious-looking image, but it definitely never shows up anywhere.

3. Launcher
    Let's face it: the default Cyberbox launcher is downright ugly! Pastel colors on a pastel background, and if you click the '+' to select your favorite apps, many of the app tiles get some random background color that makes the icon invisible or the text illegible.

I did manage to find a newer version of the default launcher on Sourceforge here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tvb...r.apk/download. You can download this .apk to your Cyberbox, install it, and reboot. (If you don't like it, you can uninstall the update. Click Settings to open the Settings pullout, then Apps, scroll down to MediaBox Launcher (its a system app so it's a ways down) and click it, then click Uninstall updates and reboot again, and you'll be back to the original launcher.)
    Quote:
    I can see the "launcher" (Android equivalent of Windows's explorer.exe) uses a very "Windows Metro" style user interface.
    IMO the updated launcher is much more attractive, but it was evidently designed for a different box. In fact, this updated launcher seems to be a clone of the Sunveil "Win 8" launcher used on the Sunveil T95Z Kodi box. There's even a "KD Player" button, which I think launches Kodi if you have it installed. But the big DTV button is gone, so you'll have to add the DTV app to your favorite apps at the bottom and/or to the launcher's Video button.

Speaking of favorite apps, the redesigned look reduces the number of them you can have on the launcher's home page from 10 to 8. (Both the original and the updated app have a "Favorites" page where you can have more, but it takes another click to get there.) Also, the Browser button doesn't work. Edit: Got the browser button working! I have no idea why the browser button doesn't just launch your default browser, but for some reason it's hard-coded to launch a bare-bones browser called "WebView Browser Tester." You can download version 52 of that from https://android-apk.org/org.chromium...webview-shell/. That browser's extremely minimal though, so you'll probably want to use Chrome, Firefox, or whatever browser you prefer instead. So I decided to go back to the original launcher that came with the Cyberbox and performed a little "cosmetic surgery" on it.

As it happens, .APK files are just .Zip files that can be manipulated on a PC, and all the images, icons, and the like are right there, just waiting to be customized. So I replaced all those horrible pastel colors with a semi-transparent black, which lets the launcher's purplish background show through dimly. Also touched up some of the boring white icons with a little color. (Screenshot attached.)

I think my modified .APK looks way better than the original. Unfortunately, it's also tricky to install. Modifying the .APK invalidates the app's signature, so you can't just install it as an update - you have to copy it over the original file in /system/MboxLauncher/. That's dangerous - mess anything up and you'll have no launcher when you reboot! So if you try anything like this, make sure to (1) back up the original /system/MboxLauncher/ folder, and (2) install a second launcher (like the BlackBerry launcher) so the system will have something to start if you goof up. Also note that since Android is based on a Linux kernel, file and folder names are case-sensitive: MboxLauncher.apk is a different file than, say, mboxlauncher.apk. You must match the case exactly to overwrite the original file.

If you like the Windows Metro style of these launchers, but want something easier to configure, you may want to take a look at Square Home 3, developed by "ChYK the dev." This version is free but there's a $5 "pro" version with added features. It's a tiled launcher much like the default one, but you can configure the tiles yourself, instead of them being predefined.

I also tried BlackBerry Launcher, which I have on my phone. It works and looks nice, but BlackBerry Launcher can't be used if the remote is in IR mode. You can move around from icon to icon just fine, but the OK button won't select the icon you're on. So you have to leave the remote in RF mode to use it. I suspect this is because BlackBerry Launcher was designed for phones with touchscreens.

Finally, I tried a couple that were designed for TV boxes: ATV Launcher (free version) and Lighthome Launcher. I didn't care much for ATV Launcher; the free version may just be a bit too limited. I think Lighthome Launcher would look great if wallpaper worked and if I could get the weather working.

Unfortunately, even if you make another launcher the default, the Cyberbox still starts its own launcher every time you reboot. (BTW, it will also launch the DTV app automatically a few seconds later.) Clearly these two apps are hard-coded in the system somewhere to auto-start, but I can't figure out where. You can still exit to your own launcher by putting the remote in RF mode and pressing the Home button, but you shouldn't have to....

4. Status Bar
    There isn't one. It's obviously turned off somewhere, and I can't figure out how to turn it on. That means no way to view notifications.

The navigation bar is turned off too, but that's not quite as important since the remote has home and back buttons.

5. Boot Animation
    This one's really minor, but iView's boot animation is obviously messed up. It seems to pause in the middle, rather than sweeping left to right then pausing, as you'd expect it to do.

Luckily it's easy to fix too. The boot animation is stored in the /system/media/bootanimation.zip file. Opening that file reveals the problem: the frames of the animation are named 1.png through 18.png, but they're played in alphabetical order, not numeric; so 1.png is displayed first, then 10.png through 18.png, then finally 2.png through 9.png. All you have to do is rename 1.png through 9.png to 01.png through 09.png (you can do that with, e.g., 7-Zip on a PC) and the animation plays correctly. A "fixed" bootanimation.zip is attached to this post, but you'll have to enable root access to replace the faulty one in /system/media.

But wait - there's more! Did you know the Cyberbox also includes a boot video? It does - and you can enable it! All you need is a text editor installed on your Cyberbox and root access.

There's a file in the /system folder called build.prop. At around line 111 of this file, it reads "service.bootvideo=0". Just change the 0 to 1, save, and reboot. The boot video will play instead of the iView boot animation.

Be careful - as always, make a backup copy of build.prop before changing anything, and don't change anything else unless you know what you're doing!

The boot video has a rather loud audio track - if that bothers you, just change the flag back to 0 and you'll be back to the iView boot animation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200203-205659.png
Views:	14
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	2679976  
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootanimation.zip (415.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-13-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page