Iview Cyber Box - Android 7.1 w/tuner - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eherberg
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Iview Cyber Box - Android 7.1 w/tuner

I was wondering when (or if) companies like Iview or Mediasonic would introduce anything new, and it appears that Iview has done so first. New product on the Iview website - the Iview Cyber Box - is now listed. No manual available on the site (and not listed on Amazon as of yet), but I would bet it is equivalent to other Android boxes with attempts at OTA tuners. Mobile versions of some of the apps, hit-or-miss app compatibility, probably the same TV recording interface as the MyGica, Aura, etc.

It's priced a little higher than what I would have expected given the existing entries in this space already - but I'm not surprised that a model of this type has come out. There's not much more you can do with the existing Iview/Mediasonic type boxes out there - and likely only so much you can commission those Chinese programmers to tweak on them. With most modern customers expecting some kind of streaming or 'Kodi box' experience - it is interesting to see Iview move first into this space.
arbegas likes this.
eherberg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Question We'll see.... Pros/Cons from site....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I was wondering when (or if) companies like Iview or Mediasonic would introduce anything new, and it appears that Iview has done so first. New product on the Iview website - the Iview Cyber Box - is now listed. No manual available on the site (and not listed on Amazon as of yet), but I would bet it is equivalent to other Android boxes with attempts at OTA tuners. Mobile versions of some of the apps, hit-or-miss app compatibility, probably the same TV recording interface as the MyGica, Aura, etc.

It's priced a little higher than what I would have expected given the existing entries in this space already - but I'm not surprised that a model of this type has come out. There's not much more you can do with the existing Iview/Mediasonic type boxes out there - and likely only so much you can commission those Chinese programmers to tweak on them. With most modern customers expecting some kind of streaming or 'Kodi box' experience - it is interesting to see Iview move first into this space.
I've been wondering who would be the first of this bunch to jump into this area.


CONS:

Price - $130 is about $100 to much. We'll see where the actual retail price comes out at.

No 802.11a 5Ghz.... I've got more extensive and better coverage at 5Ghz, than 2.4 802.11b...


PAL SCART connectors for the antenna. BZZT, 99.99999999999% of the US would have no clue what those are. Maybe thats just some stock art for their EU/UK DVB-T/2 and standard F connectors will show up.

No Component - I need to have component at least for one.

ATSC 1. not 3.0 I know way too soon for it, since this has likely been in the works for 6+ months, and clearly is in use some place else)


PRO:

2 USB.... If you can use them both at once for storage.

RJ45 Jack, for where I would put most of these.

Google Play store, so VLC, Crackle, Tubi, Popcorn should be a go. and thus SD HDHR and/or Tablo would potentially be possible.
DVR - Clearly the same old stuff here, wonder on the size and comparability here for USB 128GB is not bad, but its the startup time for DVR and the rolling playback queue, sticks and HD's.

Flat, like it should be! No some round puck 30 feet tall.

Don't care:

Streaming outside the above, so whether it supports any of the netflix etc., couldn't care at all.

Wait and see:

How the whole OTA thing plays out... if Live Channels is involved or a rework of the standard mstar "digital VCR" in the various units. If its Live Channels, mmmmmm.. I might ignore it... The stuff in the S+ thread shows that stuff is clearly pre-alpha code at best.

Storage - If its the mess with the drive(s) encrypted, urrghh.. I move the MTS stuff off the sticks to play at times... So we'll see...


We'll see.. any takers on being first and reporting?????

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
TampBayOTA is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I wouldn't expect Live Channels. That's primarily an Android TV feature. Boxes like these (especially in Europe) are not new. Android boxes with a tuner in them have been around for a solid couple of years. Aura has had time to not only introduce one of the first boxes a couple of years ago with an Android 4.4 interface (later upgraded to 5) - but after some very poor attempts to get the mobile version of Netflix to work, I believe the company is now gone.

Pricing for these boxes will never be in the $30 range. These Android (not to be confused with Android TV, like the Shield or Stream+) boxes are all usually priced between $75 - $100, depending on the processor used. Their primary appeal is as 'Kodi boxes'. Those with tuners usually have some variation of the same hacked together recording interface - as the mobile version of Android isn't going to have recording hooks like an Android TV box potentially can.
eherberg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I wouldn't expect Live Channels. That's primarily an Android TV feature.
Good as that stuff is clearly pre-alpha at best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Boxes like these (especially in Europe) are not new
Thats what I figured as to why the art on the site has PAL SCART antenna connectors. I run into this now and then with some of the repurposed SDR dongles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Pricing for these boxes will never be in the $30 range.
That was more huge sarcasm than anything realistic. I figure Amazon (pewty!) will have it lower, in the $50-60, I snap up one maybe 2-3 for some testing. At $60+ depends. I think the sweet spot would be $80-99, MAX $99.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
These Android (not to be confused with Android TV, like the Shield or Stream+) boxes are all usually priced between $75 - $100, depending on the processor used. Their primary appeal is as 'Kodi boxes'. Those with tuners usually have some variation of the same hacked together recording interface - as the mobile version of Android isn't going to have recording hooks like an Android TV box potentially can.
I have several Android boxes that I paid what they are worth $30, they are aimed at this XMBC market, I don't use them for that. Strictly VLC for my content on the NAS(s) and then Crackle, Tubi, Popcorn. Adding in OTA to them via SD HDHR or Tablo is in the plans, but I have a huge disdain and dislike for the patent IP trolls getting any vig for listings data and/or a feature enable-ment. Its a scam that hearkens back to its progenitor and tivo who I would like to see cleansed from the Earth! That is one of the reasons I live with some of the foibles of the mstar boxes. I own the boxes, the PSIP data is enough for most of my recordings which are daily weekly stuff.

If these have a some what improved mstar DVR system, great. Mainly adding in options for Sa-Su and M-Fr for the recording options would be my two biggest nuisances .Like I said I live with the foibles of it recording crap I don't care about on Sa and Su from 1100 to 1400.

The right price on a promo or something I would snap up some for testing.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
TampBayOTA is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
ncsercs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Westmont, IL
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
That was more huge sarcasm than anything realistic. I figure Amazon (pewty!) will have it lower, in the $50-60, I snap up one maybe 2-3 for some testing. At $60+ depends. I think the sweet spot would be $80-99, MAX $99.
The CM-7004 is a bargain by comparison (even at retail).

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
ncsercs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off