Iview Cyber Box - Android 7.1 w/tuner - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Iview Cyber Box - Android 7.1 w/tuner

I was wondering when (or if) companies like Iview or Mediasonic would introduce anything new, and it appears that Iview has done so first. New product on the Iview website - the Iview Cyber Box - is now listed. No manual available on the site (and not listed on Amazon as of yet), but I would bet it is equivalent to other Android boxes with attempts at OTA tuners. Mobile versions of some of the apps, hit-or-miss app compatibility, probably the same TV recording interface as the MyGica, Aura, etc.

It's priced a little higher than what I would have expected given the existing entries in this space already - but I'm not surprised that a model of this type has come out. There's not much more you can do with the existing Iview/Mediasonic type boxes out there - and likely only so much you can commission those Chinese programmers to tweak on them. With most modern customers expecting some kind of streaming or 'Kodi box' experience - it is interesting to see Iview move first into this space.
arbegas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Question We'll see.... Pros/Cons from site....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I was wondering when (or if) companies like Iview or Mediasonic would introduce anything new, and it appears that Iview has done so first. New product on the Iview website - the Iview Cyber Box - is now listed. No manual available on the site (and not listed on Amazon as of yet), but I would bet it is equivalent to other Android boxes with attempts at OTA tuners. Mobile versions of some of the apps, hit-or-miss app compatibility, probably the same TV recording interface as the MyGica, Aura, etc.

It's priced a little higher than what I would have expected given the existing entries in this space already - but I'm not surprised that a model of this type has come out. There's not much more you can do with the existing Iview/Mediasonic type boxes out there - and likely only so much you can commission those Chinese programmers to tweak on them. With most modern customers expecting some kind of streaming or 'Kodi box' experience - it is interesting to see Iview move first into this space.
I've been wondering who would be the first of this bunch to jump into this area.

CONS:

Price - $130 is about $100 to much. We'll see where the actual retail price comes out at.

No 802.11a 5Ghz.... I've got more extensive and better coverage at 5Ghz, than 2.4 802.11b...

PAL SCART connectors for the antenna. BZZT, 99.99999999999% of the US would have no clue what those are. Maybe thats just some stock art for their EU/UK DVB-T/2 and standard F connectors will show up.

No Component - I need to have component at least for one.

ATSC 1. not 3.0 I know way too soon for it, since this has likely been in the works for 6+ months, and clearly is in use some place else)

PRO:

2 USB.... If you can use them both at once for storage.

RJ45 Jack, for where I would put most of these.

Google Play store, so VLC, Crackle, Tubi, Popcorn should be a go. and thus SD HDHR and/or Tablo would potentially be possible.
DVR - Clearly the same old stuff here, wonder on the size and comparability here for USB 128GB is not bad, but its the startup time for DVR and the rolling playback queue, sticks and HD's.

Flat, like it should be! No some round puck 30 feet tall.

Don't care:

Streaming outside the above, so whether it supports any of the netflix etc., couldn't care at all.

Wait and see:

How the whole OTA thing plays out... if Live Channels is involved or a rework of the standard mstar "digital VCR" in the various units. If its Live Channels, mmmmmm.. I might ignore it... The stuff in the S+ thread shows that stuff is clearly pre-alpha code at best.

Storage - If its the mess with the drive(s) encrypted, urrghh.. I move the MTS stuff off the sticks to play at times... So we'll see...

We'll see.. any takers on being first and reporting?????

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #3 of 61 Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wouldn't expect Live Channels. That's primarily an Android TV feature. Boxes like these (especially in Europe) are not new. Android boxes with a tuner in them have been around for a solid couple of years. Aura has had time to not only introduce one of the first boxes a couple of years ago with an Android 4.4 interface (later upgraded to 5) - but after some very poor attempts to get the mobile version of Netflix to work, I believe the company is now gone.

Pricing for these boxes will never be in the $30 range. These Android (not to be confused with Android TV, like the Shield or Stream+) boxes are all usually priced between $75 - $100, depending on the processor used. Their primary appeal is as 'Kodi boxes'. Those with tuners usually have some variation of the same hacked together recording interface - as the mobile version of Android isn't going to have recording hooks like an Android TV box potentially can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Arrow

Quote:
I wouldn't expect Live Channels. That's primarily an Android TV feature.
Good as that stuff is clearly pre-alpha at best.

Quote:
Boxes like these (especially in Europe) are not new
Thats what I figured as to why the art on the site has PAL SCART antenna connectors. I run into this now and then with some of the repurposed SDR dongles.

Quote:
Pricing for these boxes will never be in the $30 range.
That was more huge sarcasm than anything realistic. I figure Amazon (pewty!) will have it lower, in the $50-60, I snap up one maybe 2-3 for some testing. At $60+ depends. I think the sweet spot would be $80-99, MAX $99.

Quote:
These Android (not to be confused with Android TV, like the Shield or Stream+) boxes are all usually priced between $75 - $100, depending on the processor used. Their primary appeal is as 'Kodi boxes'. Those with tuners usually have some variation of the same hacked together recording interface - as the mobile version of Android isn't going to have recording hooks like an Android TV box potentially can.
I have several Android boxes that I paid what they are worth $30, they are aimed at this XMBC market, I don't use them for that. Strictly VLC for my content on the NAS(s) and then Crackle, Tubi, Popcorn. Adding in OTA to them via SD HDHR or Tablo is in the plans, but I have a huge disdain and dislike for the patent IP trolls getting any vig for listings data and/or a feature enable-ment. Its a scam that hearkens back to its progenitor and tivo who I would like to see cleansed from the Earth! That is one of the reasons I live with some of the foibles of the mstar boxes. I own the boxes, the PSIP data is enough for most of my recordings which are daily weekly stuff.

If these have a some what improved mstar DVR system, great. Mainly adding in options for Sa-Su and M-Fr for the recording options would be my two biggest nuisances .Like I said I live with the foibles of it recording crap I don't care about on Sa and Su from 1100 to 1400.

The right price on a promo or something I would snap up some for testing.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #5 of 61 Old 07-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
That was more huge sarcasm than anything realistic. I figure Amazon (pewty!) will have it lower, in the $50-60, I snap up one maybe 2-3 for some testing. At $60+ depends. I think the sweet spot would be $80-99, MAX $99.
The CM-7004 is a bargain by comparison (even at retail).

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #6 of 61 Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the cyberbox and do not like it...it lags bad...the picture is way too big on the screen...connecting to the internet makes the lagging worse. Not much to like about it.
post #7 of 61 Old 08-23-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
I figure Amazon (pewty!) will have it lower, in the $50-60, I snap up one maybe 2-3 for some testing. At $60+ depends. I think the sweet spot would be $80-99, MAX $99.
Currently $89.99 at Amazon, so you were pretty close: https://www.amazon.com/CyberBox-N-Co.../dp/B07R24WMGP. "Only 2 left in stock - order soon!"

A slightly interesting wrinkle is that the tuner supports QAM (unencrypted digital cable), if you're one of the lucky few to still have any unencrypted digital cable channels worth watching. I hope it does a better job of displaying correct cable channel numbers than iView's converter box/DVRs though.
post #8 of 61 Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just an FYI: The CyberBox is now on a Black Friday deal of $50. It's original price was horribly over-priced and meant there was no way I might get one to experiment with -- but at this Black Friday price, I might just be tempted now to get one and play with it. Basically mstar-based recording cobbled together with Android 7 (phone-based Android). But it looks like in the manual, you could load apk files from a usb drive.
post #9 of 61 Old 11-29-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Just an FYI: The CyberBox is now on a Black Friday deal of $50. It's original price was horribly over-priced and meant there was no way I might get one to experiment with -- but at this Black Friday price, I might just be tempted now to get one and play with it. Basically mstar-based recording cobbled together with Android 7 (phone-based Android). But it looks like in the manual, you could load apk files from a usb drive.
Where are you seeing it for $50? At that price I'd snag one to tinker with it.
post #10 of 61 Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 PM
kwg

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #11 of 61 Old 11-29-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also on the iView Black Friday site -- sent out to people on their email list.
post #12 of 61 Old 11-30-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
recorded files it be encrypted? atsc recordings
post #13 of 61 Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face

Hello everyone,

My name is Lori, I'm a representative here at iView. I wanted to reach out to everyone here at AVSForum to help answer any questions about our product lineup. I'll be stopping by the 3500STBII forum shortly For detailed questions, I can ask our engineers. We're excited to hear everyone's thoughts on the Cyberbox - I've heard your thoughts on the pricing so I've extended the discount until January 2020. I'll be talking to our VP about dropping the general retail price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
recorded files it be encrypted? atsc recordings
The recorded files are not encrypted. They are .mts files and can be played or converted in VLC Media Player or played directly on the box.
JHBrandt likes this.

ishop.iviewus.com
post #14 of 61 Old 12-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iView Support View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Lori, I'm a representative here at iView. I wanted to reach out to everyone here at AVSForum to help answer any questions about our product lineup. I'll be stopping by the 3500STBII forum shortly For detailed questions, I can ask our engineers. We're excited to hear everyone's thoughts on the Cyberbox - I've heard your thoughts on the pricing so I've extended the discount until January 2020. I'll be talking to our VP about dropping the general retail price.

The recorded files are not encrypted. They are .mts files and can be played or converted in VLC Media Player or played directly on the box.

that's nice, i need ask you because i dont see too much reviews online.
what app its one used to record tv ? (being android i suppose its different of other iview models)

what android system box run?
asking this just to know if support live channels of google.

what kind of usb peripals box detect? (hard drives, usb)

and it can be compatible with some usb tuners? like nvidia shield (i know this maybe its a long shot)

any option to do a dual tuner box? (maybe long shot too)

thank you so much

Last edited by arbegas; 12-09-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The recording isn't like an AndroidTV box -- this is a phone-based Android version (needs the wireless 'mouse' capabilities of the remote to navigate). The recording is done using the m-star type recording done on other m-star based boxes.
JHBrandt and arbegas like this.
post #16 of 61 Old 12-21-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismc View Post
I have the cyberbox and do not like it...it lags bad...the picture is way too big on the screen...connecting to the internet makes the lagging worse. Not much to like about it.
Sounds like this person is the only one here that actually has one of these boxes. Anyone else have one yet? I'm interested, especially while they're only $50 (plus S/H/Tax), but I'd like to see some screen shots showing how one watches/records TV with it.

I searched the Web but didn't find much. I did find this short YouTube video (ignore the click-bait title - it looks to me like a commercial iView made for the CyberBox and has nothing to do with "free cable") but it doesn't really show it being used:

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #17 of 61 Old 12-22-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
As others have noted, the CyberBox has the same case and back panel configuration as the "Leelbox Android TV Box" (LBX OTT-ATSC Q5 US). The remotes are very different, and there is no claim of QAM compatibility for the Q5. The Leelbox Q5 has reasonably acceptable reviews on amazon. Looks awful to me though, but I've never been a fan of mobile android for "TV".

Probably these boxes have one reference design and firmware, and whoever decides to brand and market them gets to customize the bling, like the case and remote. To the extent that anybody who slaps a "name" on these gets to specify firmware features, I'd bet that it is nothing more than froth on the wave, and nothing much will set any of these boxes apart. Save perhaps QAM compatibility here and there.

Forty-nine-ninety-nine does seem tempting. I'd still have to see an in-depth review.

Last edited by Chut Mingy; 12-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-05-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I couldn't resist grabbing one of these to play with while they were $50. (Unfortunately they're back to $109 now.) Just plugged it in today; unfortunately my TV set picked yesterday to die, so I haven't had a chance to see it in action yet. Right now it's just sitting on my TV stand, taunting me....

Luckily the user's manual has screen shots, and iView has put it online here: https://www.iviewus.com/download/man...-Manual-EN.pdf The online manual is much easier to read than the hardcopy manual that came in the box. The online manual is in color, while the hardcopy manual is B&W and marred by "iView" watermarks covering every page.

The one thing I have been able to tell is that the power button on the CyberBox remote sends the same signal as the one on my iView 3500STBII remote. Which means either remote will turn either box on or off. Which means you can't have both in the same room unless you put the CyberBox remote into wireless (Bluetooth) mode. (There was a tiny Bluetooth dongle in the remote's battery compartment.) Oh, BTW; the CyberBox didn't come with batteries for the remote; you'll need to have two AAA batteries on hand if you get a CyberBox.

Physically it's pretty small; a bit larger than a 3200, but smaller than a 3500. I'm sure most folks will use HDMI to hook this to their TVs, but it has composite A/V and RF outputs too. It uses a 3.5mm jack for composite A/V, with a special cable to convert to the usual RCA plugs. The only other device I've seen with that style of composite video connector is a small RCA LCD TV with a 7" screen that I bought back when it looked like ATSC M/H might become a thing.

Although it's an Android box, from the user manual I can see the "launcher" (Android equivalent of Windows's explorer.exe) uses a very "Windows Metro" style user interface. (I've seen similar launchers for Android phones to ease the transition for folks moving from Windows Phones to Android. Iview probably just grabbed one of those; makes the CyberBox look more like their Cyber PC, which runs Windows 10.)

It has WiFi in case you can't connect it via Ethernet. That may come in handy for me; Ethernet in my room requires power-line adapters, which have been rather unreliable for me lately.

iView's "iHome" app is included too. iView has been getting into the "smart devices" biz, and this app lets you control your "smart" devices. But these devices all have to connect to a central server, meaning you have to set up an account on that server. This arrangement lets you control your "smart" devices while away from home (by installing the iHome app on your smartphone too), but I'm rather wary of the privacy implications of that arrangement, so I think I'll pass on using that app for the time being.

The thing that distinguishes the CyberBox is, of course, the TV tuner. The UI is a bit different from iView STBs, but from what I've seen in the user manual, the functionality is very similar. (Even has iView's peculiar "Antenna Power" option.) It certainly won't replace Windows Media Center.

The EPG intrigues me. Sorry, no grid-style guide; the format is similar to (but more readable than) the 3200/3500, but the screen shot in the manual shows up to 7 days! I don't know of anyone broadcasting 7 days' of EPG via PSIP, although many moons ago, our local NBC affiliate used to come close. Nowadays, PBS leads the pack with 3 days.

I wonder if an Internet-provided guide is available or planned to fill out a 7-day guide. The manual doesn't say, but if iView did that, it would make this box a lot more attractive! At any rate, I'll certainly post back as soon as I have a TV to connect it to, and let you all know whether it's worth the $50 I paid (I can't see $109 unless it really has a 7-day Internet guide, though).
arbegas likes this.
post #19 of 61 Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up passing on it. From looking at it - it looked similar to other Android mobile 'boxes' with a tuner like the Leelbox or the Mygica 586 or the Aura Live or the Skystream or ... etc. My bet is that just like there is one 'source' for all of the m-star based recorders - there is one for the Android mobile chinese-sourced atsc boxes as well. But who knows ...

I'm curious if it has pass-through like the iView or Mediasonic or if the RF Out is just for connecting to really old televisions. I'm assuming no M-F option for recording. I can only assume that in China there is no concept of 'weekday daily programs'. :-)

Last edited by eherberg; 01-05-2020 at 08:01 PM.
post #20 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree. It's probably very similar to the mStar "ecosystem" - one basic design slightly customized for each importer. It looks to me like they just replaced the 7802, and its clunky firmware, with an Android processor, OS, and app. (They also upgraded to a newer HDMI chipset to support 4K, which I may need if my replacement TV has a 4K screen - which they pretty much all do nowadays whether you want it or not.)

The potential advantage is that Android is a well-known, open-source OS with lots of developers who, thanks to its popularity on smartphones, understand how to customize it, unlike the 7802 firmware that's apparently understood only by a handful of developers somewhere in China. And unlike the 7802-based boxes, this one has network/Internet access.

But whether that potential advantage will translate into something meaningful is hard to say at this point. And the importers of boxes like the iView don't have a terribly inspiring track record to date.

Once I get it hooked up, I'll let you know on the pass-through (although if the RF hardware is similar to the mStar boxes, it might not be worth using even if it works) and the M-F recording. I didn't see an M-F recording option in the screen shots in the manual, so their app is probably a rather straightforward translation of their mStar firmware, but hope springs eternal.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-06-2020 at 07:42 AM.
post #21 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW (and slightly OT) I never cared for the way DVRs implement M-F recording. When I got my first DVR (a DTVPal) one of the first recordings I set up was Star Trek: TNG reruns that aired "M-F" before the end of the station's broadcast day, but after midnight, so they were actually Tues-Sat! I had to set up two timers: one M-F and one Sat., to catch them all; then I got an unwanted recording early every Monday.

It'd be better if you could just specify the first and last day of the week you wanted the recording to run, rather than having it fixed to M-F. But even a fixed M-F would be a lot more useful than setting it up for "daily" and getting two unwanted recordings every week.

Or they could just do name-based recording, although fat chance of that on a cheap box like this. The (slightly costlier) Stream+ manages it, but it has Google Live Channels....

Actually for me, the best approach will probably be to just install the Sling app and do most of my recording via my AirTV, with the built-in app only used as an "overflow" DVR.
post #22 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 PM

It still seems to be priced at forty-nine-ninety-nine at the ishop iviewus site (here). Is that where you ordered?

Will your tv be unbroken soon? All I care about is the OTA DVR functions. I'm just hoping that it's at least slightly better than the mstar 7802, in any way whatsoever.

Also wondering about the prior forum post (here) about some sort of "overscan" (too big on the screen) issue.

Hoping there is some review soon. Even if the sale ends, because the leelbox version is occasionally fifty-nine, though not right now.
post #23 of 61 Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 PM

I went ahead and bit the bullets on the cyber box thing.

I saw some recent photos (below) in a review, and the epg doesn't look any worse than the 7802's firmware. So, I pulled the trigger and ordered one at the sale price. I will photograph the thing inside and out when I get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71iHjNDPcYL.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	2665774   Click image for larger version

Name:	614eB-8I19L.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	2665776  
post #24 of 61 Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, there was a screen shot of the EPG in the user manual. It looked like the one you posted above, and it seems a bit better than the 7802 boxes' EPGs.

The 7-day headings are what intrigued me. I suspect it's still just PSIP, so everything past 2 days (3 at best) will be blank unless you have a really good TV station, but since the box connects to the Internet, at least there's hope of a better guide someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chut Mingy View Post
It still seems to be priced at forty-nine-ninety-nine at the ishop iviewus site (here). Is that where you ordered?
Yes; I ordered mine Christmas Eve, for the same $49.99.

I checked it again before I wrote my previous post and it was back to $109. But above, iView said they were extending the sale, so maybe the $109 was a mistake and they put it back to $49.99 after they saw my post.
Quote:
Will your tv be unbroken soon? All I care about is the OTA DVR functions. I'm just hoping that it's at least slightly better than the mstar 7802, in any way whatsoever.

Also wondering about the prior forum post (here) about some sort of "overscan" (too big on the screen) issue.

Hoping there is some review soon. Even if the sale ends, because the leelbox version is occasionally fifty-nine, though not right now.
I probably won't have a new TV until at least Sunday. But in the meantime, I may hook it to my PC monitor just to see how it's going to look.
post #25 of 61 Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM

Mine will be here tomorrow. I agree extended guide data would be the ticket for this thing. Perhaps the android nature of the DTV app will lend itself to some hackability.

The amazon reviews state that the amazon and netflix apps run on this box, but not hulu. My guess is that the box does not have L1 widevine, so the resolution is probably limited. Will check this and also if the box is rooted or not.

If the DTV app can be modified, perhaps external guide data can be imported. The best solution for this in the WMC OTA days was a hack to import guide data from a modified directv receiver. Of course, some internet solution would be better.

Also plan to check if the irfake module will run on this box, or if the remote control codes can otherwise be altered.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #26 of 61 Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hooked it up to my PC monitor last night and played with it a bit. OTA channel scan went fine. Oddly, the scan went all the way up to RF 77! Channels above 69 haven't been used for decades, so not sure what that was all about.

The Cyberbox works fine with my Souka modulator on RF 51 since it adheres closely to ATSC 1.0 standards. It also detected my Stellar Labs RF modulator on RF 69, and added it as channel "0-0" (the invalid channel/subchannel the SL mod uses). But I had no sound and the picture was marred by a "no audio" box. That wasn't good, but not really surprising; there are a lot of tuners that don't work with that SL modulator. (Ironically, the 7802-based boxes handle the SL's audio just fine, although they substitute the RF channel and a subchannel of -4 for the invalid 0-0 sent by the SL mod.)

The user interface is certainly more attractive than the 7802-based boxes' UI! Yet it seemed somewhat cumbersome and awkward to me. But that may be just because I'm used to the 7802 firmware. I probably just need to give myself more time to get used to it. I'll give it more of a workout this weekend.

Edit: I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but I do have one observation: the EPG source is PSIP, as I suspected - but unlike the 7802-based boxes, the Cyberbox will show all the EPG data a station broadcasts (up to 7 days, that is). The 7802 boxes cut off after 8 EITs (21-24 hours) even if the station broadcasts more. In the DFW area, that's a nice improvement.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-10-2020 at 08:43 AM.
post #27 of 61 Old 01-10-2020, 07:23 PM

That is good news about the (up to) 7 days EPG.

I haven't powered mine up yet. I took some photos of the internal hardware.

Main Board: STB S905D V2.0 20180627
Tuner Board: TU88436-ATSC V1.0 20180105

The power filtering caps (EC1 & EC10) aren't installed on the main board. So, I also checked the transformer board. It looks okay but can't say how it would handle a 2 amp load.

The bottom of the main board has a space for a micro sd card. Will check out if one will work, or if some additional caps also need to be installed.

The lid of the case has a metal weight, apparently just to weigh the box down.

The wifi antenna is an adhesive-backed plastic strip with thin copper foil.

Board appears to have tx/rx connections for ttl serial comm to the cpu.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2667796   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	2667798   Click image for larger version

Name:	board-bottom.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2667800   Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2667802   Click image for larger version

Name:	lid.jpg
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	2667804  

post #28 of 61 Old 01-11-2020, 01:40 AM

The cyber box is also similar to the Vmade S905D-ATSC

Vmade also makes a version with a dvb tuner. I found an image of a 2017 version than has both filtering caps installed. They are both bigger than I expected. I can't make out the values, but they are 25V. But they may have not been factory installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STBS905_20170504.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2667930  
post #29 of 61 Old 01-11-2020, 05:49 AM

By the way, the reason I'm investigating the lack of the power electrolytics on the main board is because several reviews of the leelbox Q5 version on amazon indicate that the box has trouble powering an external drive. Some of the reviews mention using an externally powered drive, or using a different transformer, as possible solutions.

But the lack of electrolytics in the box could also be the cause of the repeated disconnection issues (power cycling) of externally connected drives that draw power from the box. The supplied transformer is sort of a "light duty" design, so that could also be the reason. I plan to test both independently and together.
post #30 of 61 Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm investigating the lack of the power electrolytics on the main board ... because several reviews of the leelbox Q5 version on amazon indicate that the box has trouble powering an external drive. Some of the reviews mention using an externally powered drive, or using a different transformer, as possible solutions.
This seems to be a consistent problem with the 7802-based boxes too. If your recording requires more capacity than a SanDisk thumb drive, it seems you should invest in an external drive, enclosure, or dock with its own separate power supply.

At least these boxes use separate wall-wart power supplies. One of my gripes with most of the 7802 boxes was that the power supply was typically built into the boxes, so if it went out, your whole box was toast (unless you have the skills to fix it yourself - which I can only handle if it's something like a bad capacitor that can be easily desoldered and replaced).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page