Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #511 of 650 Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapokata View Post
I think that the EPG program guide integration could be a game changer. Amazon's inclusion of HBO as a Prime Channel premium add-on allows for HBO Now to be utilized in their TiVo app, as an example, along with others like Britbox. Similar inclusion of live streaming services (SlingTV, Hulu, or heaven forfend YouTube Live) under the Amazon FireTV guide inside a Prime app could help to extend Prime usage on both FireTV and non-Fire OTT devices (assuming that guide services are integrated into all flavors of Prime apps). Just a dream, but providing a single input menu source that allows the user to see and access all content available- across a variety of platforms and devices.... could be very compelling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Absolutely! This is the inexpensive a la carte programming on a single box with a single remote cord cutters have been clamoring for all these years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Just thinking about how it might be done, it could just be a simple JSON feed with links to the content within the specific apps. I doubt there would need to be money changing hands for that, but that doesn't mean they did it that way. One thing that I wondered about is whether they are using a shared data source. Amazon uses Tribune (or whatever they are called these days) guide data. Not sure what the currently-supported live streamers are using for guide data, but I know that Sling uses Rovi/Tivo data, so that may be one reason it isn't currently supported while those others are. Pluto is probably a special case though as its "channels" aren't traditional. Anyway, it is nice to see better integration.
its already here, been using it for a month and its fantastic. OTA and cable all in one guide with local recording, out of home streaming and automatic commercial skip that works flawlessly:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...ort-beta/17405

ill let you old's debate the cost, BYO hardware, lack of VCR recordings, no PSIP integration, cant hook up your phone line to it, cant use "insert old technology here", etc. I have no problem paying $80 a year for a solution that works, and this works great.
mdavej likes this.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 650 Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
its already here, been using it for a month and its fantastic. OTA and cable all in one guide with local recording, out of home streaming and automatic commercial skip that works flawlessly:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...ort-beta/17405

ill let you old's debate the cost, BYO hardware, lack of VCR recordings, no PSIP integration, cant hook up your phone line to it, cant use "insert old technology here", etc. I have no problem paying $80 a year for a solution that works, and this works great.

"Requirements You will need:
  1. A major U.S. cable provider like Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum, DirectTV, Dish Network, etc.
  2. Channels Plus subscription..."
I would need two subscriptions, one of which is a cable or satellite subscription? Interesting idea, but I feel like I am missing something.
post #513 of 650 Old 07-08-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
"Requirements You will need:
  1. A major U.S. cable provider like Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum, DirectTV, Dish Network, etc.
  2. Channels Plus subscription..."
I would need two subscriptions, one of which is a cable or satellite subscription? Interesting idea, but I feel like I am missing something.
keep reading: "For OTT providers like DirectTVNow, PSVue, SlingTV, etc, compare this list 161 to the channels above." you don't need a cable login, you can use OTT services like Sling, Fubo, DTNow, etc.
ncted likes this.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 650 Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After ordering a Recast, and cancelling the order prior to delivery a little while back, I pulled the trigger on this (again), but this time just the smaller two-tuner version. I'm currently using two TiVo Bolts, and I have a Tablo Dual 64. As much as I like many things about the Tablo, the transcoding image quality is problematic. I recently re-connected a Bolt that had been in temporary storage as I evaluated using the Tablo full time, and the image quality, especially for SD source material, was just so much better from the TiVo.

That said, I have a 50" Insignia FireTV Edition TV in the bat-cave (detached garage/shop), which I've been using either the Tablo Preview app, or a TiVo A93 series Mini. The wifi reception to the bat-cave is no bueno, so I have a powerlineAV connection for network services to the TV and Mini. My plan is to replace the Tablo with the Recast, and wring it out over time using the FireTV Edition Television. As an aside, I wish Amazon could have named this a bit differently, as it becomes a "who's on first" re-enactment when trying to explain that I own a FireTV (version 2.0), a FireTV (stick) and FireTV (Edition Television). The TV is on a separate antenna, and the placement of the recast will likely have it on the main antenna from the house. My plan is to have everything on ethernet, keeping wifi out of the mix.

I'm already somewhat familiar with the guide layout for the Recast, as the FireTV Edition TV uses the same guide format for OTA content, adding in my Prime channels (ie, HBO Now). I'm curious how the Recast will blend in with that, but it will be a single interface point. Thanks to the feedback of many on this thread, I have hopes that the transcode image quality will be better than my experience on the Tablo. The 720P output isn't the concern- it's how well the de-interlacing is handled in the transcode process

Wish me luck. Delivery is still a couple of days out. At the pre-Prime Day sale pricing, my cost for the Recast is what I paid for the Tablo Dual, about one year ago.
post #515 of 650 Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Wish me luck.
Luck!
post #516 of 650 Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have hopes that the transcode image quality will be better than my experience on the Tablo. The 720P output isn't the concern- it's how well the de-interlacing is handled in the transcode process

Let us know what you think. I can tell you it won't look as good as your Tivos, but I think it is passable for what amounts to [an essential] 10% of our TV viewing any more.
post #517 of 650 Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
The 720P output isn't the concern- it's how well the de-interlacing is handled in the transcode process.
Mine looks very good. Hard to tell it's not 1080 on my 55" Insignia 4k Fire TV Edition TV.

A nice thing about the Insignia is it has a dedicated Guide button on the remote (the one that looks like a TV).
post #518 of 650 Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 PM

The Recast arrived yesterday- so my observations and comparisons to my TiVo Bolts, and a Tablo Dual 64:

Setup: Relatively straight forward, although not really descriptive on operations and settings. Faster setup than TiVo, probably a bit longer than Tablo. Channel scan is straightforward, although signal strengths are not shown (ala Tablo) and real channel ID (helpful for multiple stations or repeaters with same virtual channel) is not available (unlike TiVo). Tuner sensitivity and channel selection same as others as installed on same antenna and coax plant. We’ve been OTA consumers for years, before “cord-cutting” was cool, so the number of and quality of channels received via OTA not of great consideration.

Recording setup:
Pick and choose from guide, otherwise use voice search (mixed results- sometimes requires date of broadcast along with show title, but impressive that it works at all) Not known how this compares to VOX service on TiVo.

Options for series recording could offer fewer than 5 to hold (ie, 1,2, etc). Some programs, such as nightly news broadcasts, are one-off time shifts, not “binge-worthy” viewing.

No recording conflicts are immediately noted- recordings are handled by setting priority. Attempting to schedule an additional recording for a time when all tuners are scheduled is prohibited. Attempting to select a non-Recast DVR channel source for recording is (naturally) prohibited.

No web interface, outside of mobile app for iOS or android, where settings functionality is limited, unlike TiVo and Tablo.

No suggested recordings (as on Tivo).

Playback and trick play
No commercial skip (for prime time TV on Tivo, for most non-news, non-PBS on Tablo using FireTV Premiere app).
No quick view or accelerated playback (as found on TiVo).

Recast allows only two playback streams, as no matter the four tuner or two tuner model configuration, transcoding service (which is done on the fly from the recorded or live source) supports only two unique streams to FireTV devices. Like TiVo, the Recaast records OTA sources in their native MPEG-2 format. TiVo can stream recordings to up to 12 IP addressed locations with a TiVo box, and Tablo can support six simultaneous streams to any Tablo app. Recast allows you to playback a recording in progress, as do Tablo and TiVo

Image/Picture quality
Overall, 9/10. Slightly softer compared to TiVo on some content, although not generally distracting (you have to be looking for it), and is greatly dependent upon the TV sharpness and motion settings. Much better than Tablo on SD source material, as found on most market sub-channels (further evaluation needed). Some minor motion issues, but this appears to be related to the FireTV v2 streaming box used, especially when not set at “automatic” resolution. Same source recording motion issues are not apparent on FireTV Edition television. No observed bit-rate ramp up issues reported by others, likely due to all-ethernet connectivity.

User experience:
TiVo attempts to offer a unified, inward-facing “solar” solution- providing over the air, DVR services, and app usage that orbit within and are controlled through the TiVo experience interface. This requires a TiVo hardware box, one for each viewing location, with its own remote. The TiVo remote can be easily programmed to control most other Televisions and AV equipment. The app functions on TiVo are limited: while the hardware on a Bolt supports HDR10, the Amazon Prime and YouTube apps do not support HDR. No apps or app versions are available that support live TV streaming, such as Hulu Live or SlingTV. The storage drives are not easily expanded by the ordinary user. Picture quality from Tivo’s DVR is superb- the near equal of the OTA broadcast. The TiVo apps can be a bit buggy, with lockups of Netflix and/or Prime Video occurring from time to time.

Tablo is an outward-facing “planetary” system- providing DVR and limited live OTA viewing services to a variety of operating platforms at the center of the viewing experience, including OTT boxes such as Roku and FireTV, and native apps for LG/WebOS, Samsung/Tizen, and Android based televisions. Tablo does not attempt to integrate other apps or services. Tablo allows the user to easily add USB based external storage. The Tablo menu screens are relatively straightforward, although the guide grid does not always show at least two weeks worth of program data (this information is available through other recording-programming features, however). Tablo does not support voice command or voice controlled search.

The Recast is a “lunar” like system- it only works with the FireTV system, so unless you are using FireTV edition televisions exclusively, like TiVo, the Recast requires a separate FireTV device. However, with those limitations, it works well: easily integrating TV sources recognized by Amazon, including Prime Channels such as HBO, PSVue, and others into the viewing guide, along with the Recast DVR channels. Image quality is better than Tablo, and nearly equivalent to Tivo. The 720p transcoding of material really isn’t an issue, as the viewing experience is dependent upon how well the television upscales to the native display rate. ATSC 1.0 does not provide for 1080p source material (never mind 4K)- so provided the transcoding system is designed properly (and typically favors hardware based transcoding over software based solutions), the final image quality is typical of what can be found from most OTA source material.

My conclusion:
The Recast is a fairly robust first version platform. It’s not the perfect solution, but may serve well, especially when associated with a FireTV Edition television. In all other cases, it requires a secondary box, with an additional remote and input settings. If Amazon could add a couple of user features (commercial skip, for one), and find a way to integrate the Recast services into all Prime Video apps, regardless of platform, they’d likely have a world-beater. On the other hand, if TiVo could improve their app offering to include OTT live TV services that are integrated into the Rovi guide, they’d likely have the best of all worlds. If Tablo could improve their transcoding, and allow for Tablo DVR services to be incorporated with outside guide services- they might be the best choice. So, in short, whatever works: nothing is perfect.

Is the Recast enough to get me to dump my lifetime-guide service TiVo Bolts? Maybe… maybe not. I suspect whenever our second TV is upgraded, we’ll look at a FireTV Edition set as a solution. I’m going to pick up a FireTV 4k stick on Prime Day to replace the FireTV 2.0, to see if that makes a difference on our primary LG set. Time will tell, especially on features updates to the Recast, such as commercial skip.
645824, ncted, wizwor and 1 others like this.
post #519 of 650 Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing I have noticed is the guide is much more accurate compared to the guide data for the same local channels on Dish (Rovi data), plus it goes out a full two weeks, unlike Dish.
post #520 of 650 Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Recast is a “lunar” like system- it only works with the FireTV system, so unless you are using FireTV edition televisions exclusively, like TiVo, the Recast requires a separate FireTV device. However, with those limitations, it works well: easily integrating TV sources recognized by Amazon, including Prime Channels such as HBO, PSVue, and others into the viewing guide, along with the Recast DVR channels. Image quality is better than Tablo, and nearly equivalent to Tivo. The 720p transcoding of material really isn’t an issue, as the viewing experience is dependent upon how well the television upscales to the native display rate. ATSC 1.0 does not provide for 1080p source material (never mind 4K)- so provided the transcoding system is designed properly (and typically favors hardware based transcoding over software based solutions), the final image quality is typical of what can be found from most OTA source material.
I liked your post just for the 'lunar' stuff.

Quote:
My conclusion:
The Recast is a fairly robust first version platform. It’s not the perfect solution, but may serve well, especially when associated with a FireTV Edition television. In all other cases, it requires a secondary box, with an additional remote and input settings. If Amazon could add a couple of user features (commercial skip, for one), and find a way to integrate the Recast services into all Prime Video apps, regardless of platform, they’d likely have a world-beater. On the other hand, if TiVo could improve their app offering to include OTT live TV services that are integrated into the Rovi guide, they’d likely have the best of all worlds. If Tablo could improve their transcoding, and allow for Tablo DVR services to be incorporated with outside guide services- they might be the best choice. So, in short, whatever works: nothing is perfect.
“What if...what if...what if...I play the What If? game all the time. But it's rigged, is the thing. Impossible to win. Asking What I? can only lead to Maybe Things Could Have Been Different, via Was It My Fault?”
― David Arnold

Quote:
Is the Recast enough to get me to dump my lifetime-guide service TiVo Bolts? Maybe… maybe not. I suspect whenever our second TV is upgraded, we’ll look at a FireTV Edition set as a solution. I’m going to pick up a FireTV 4k stick on Prime Day to replace the FireTV 2.0, to see if that makes a difference on our primary LG set. Time will tell, especially on features updates to the Recast, such as commercial skip.
We do not dump set top boxes. We buy more televisions. Get with the program!
post #521 of 650 Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I liked your post just for the 'lunar' stuff.

“What if...what if...what if...I play the What If? game all the time. But it's rigged, is the thing. Impossible to win. Asking What I? can only lead to Maybe Things Could Have Been Different, via Was It My Fault?”
― David Arnold

We do not dump set top boxes. We buy more televisions. Get with the program!
Heh. I have a 15 yr old 26" Sony XBR resting in the closet- one HDMI port, supports up to 1080i. It used to hang in my garage, until I replaced it in March with the 50" FireTV Edition. I'm out of suitable rooms...

I can't bear to part with the Sony. It cost me nearly $1,800 when new. The 50" Insiginia was $250.
post #522 of 650 Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Heh. I have a 15 yr old 26" Sony XBR resting in the closet- one HDMI port, supports up to 1080i. It used to hang in my garage, until I replaced it in March with the 50" FireTV Edition. I'm out of suitable rooms...

I can't bear to part with the Sony. It cost me nearly $1,800 when new. The 50" Insiginia was $250.
I just hauled a 2008 36" Sony CRT to the transfer station last Saturday. I feel your pain, BUT now I have room for a 75" LED. Totally worth it. BTW, the 75" set cost me less than the 36" CRT!
post #523 of 650 Old 07-13-2019, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

4K FTV Sticks are $24.99 if you ask Alexa for Prime Day deals. You can only get one, but this is a great deal.
ncted likes this.
post #524 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm thinking of picking up a Amazon Recast during the sale. But setting it up will be an issue.

I don't plan on getting a newer tablet or cellphone anytime soon. I detest both very much. Is there any way I could setup the Recast using my PC or Laptop?

** I don't plan on watching recorded programs using my PC or Laptop. I just want to use either to setup the Recast. Could I use something like BlueStacks to do it?
post #525 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Recast requires a Fire tablet, Android, or iOS device for setup. I don't know if emulating Android on a PC will work but it might. I guess you can try it before you get a Recast and see if it runs the Fire TV app. I know you said you don't want to get a newer device, but with Amazon's Prime Day deals, a 7" Fire tablet is only $30. So there's that or borrowing someone's phone or tablet just for the setup will work too.
post #526 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a Amazon Recast during the sale. But setting it up will be an issue.

I don't plan on getting a newer tablet or cellphone anytime soon. I detest both very much. Is there any way I could setup the Recast using my PC or Laptop?

** I don't plan on watching recorded programs using my PC or Laptop. I just want to use either to setup the Recast. Could I use something like BlueStacks to do it?

In addition to initial setup, you need the app to do any troubleshooting and manage certain settings. I'd get a cheap Fire tablet to go along with it just for that purpose.
post #527 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I got a Recast last week at the $130 price to pair with my Fire TV 4K, partly because DirecTV dropped 2 of the 3 major networks in our area.

Here's my experience:

The integration with Fire TV is great, and the setup was easy.

The Recast's design allows me to place it and the antenna in an upstairs walk in closet (as high as my attic).
A small very thin indoor UHF antenna was pretty good, but didn't pick up all local stations. Upgrading to a Channel Master CM-4220HD fixed the problem, and I was able to put it out of sight on a closet shelf.

Initially, I did not plan to drop DirecTV, but I tried Sling TV and found that it plus the OTA channels pretty much matched what I had, so I cancelled DirecTV.

This simplified my AV equipment down to the Fire TV 4K/Recast, a Denon AVR, and a Samsung TV. I've used a Harmony Hub for years to integrate the equipment, but I found that the Fire TV 4k's remote could find and control them with no issues, so I disconnected the Harmony.

Hopefully, Amazon and Sling TV will work together to integrate the Sling channels into the Recast OTA channels like they do for Pluto.

All in all, Amazon hit one out of the park with this product.
ncted likes this.
post #528 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well that would be:

$180 Recast (4 tuners)
$50 Fire Tablet
$120 Amz Prime

Does the Recast help with my Antenna signal? Does it clean it up in any way? How about blocking any interference?

For the same price I could get a TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR (no fees).

Don't get me wrong I like the Amz Fire TV. I'm sure the Recast is also good. But I don't like being forced to jump through hoops to get things working.
The Amz Fire TV works connected to my Amazon account. So the Recast should be as easy as that.
post #529 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Well that would be:

$180 Recast (4 tuners)
$50 Fire Tablet
$120 Amz Prime

Does the Recast help with my Antenna signal? Does it clean it up in any way? How about blocking any interference?

For the same price I could get a TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR (no fees).

Don't get me wrong I like the Amz Fire TV. I'm sure the Recast is also good. But I don't like being forced to jump through hoops to get things working.
The Amz Fire TV works connected to my Amazon account. So the Recast should be as easy as that.
Not sure why you need a tablet or Prime. I don't have Prime, and my Recast works just fine.

Recast is $180, FireStick is $15. That's all you need. There is no requirement for Prime or Fire Tablets. Last time I checked, Roamio OTA 1 TB was going for over $400 (unless you buy used) and couldn't run a single OTT app.

But don't even try to aim an antenna with Recast. It's signal strength meter has 2 readings - Good or Bad. I use the meter on my TV's tuner and watch it via Facetime or Teamviewer from the attic. But I did that before Recast was even invented.

What are these hoops you have to jump through? All I did was plug mine in and do a channel scan. Is there some other OTA DVR that's easier to set up than that?
ncted likes this.
post #530 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Not sure why you need a tablet or Prime. I don't have Prime, and my Recast works just fine.
Prime is required to get the Prime Day deals for the Recast. It's $100 off with the sale. You're right that Prime isn't required for the operation of Recast. The tablet would be required for setup.

Quote:
Well that would be:

$180 Recast (4 tuners)
$50 Fire Tablet
$120 Amz Prime
You're right that the price is getting up there, but the cheapest tablet on sale is $30, not $50. Also, if you won't get enough use out of a full year of Prime, you can always just go monthly. One month of Prime would only be $13. You can order what you need and cancel Prime afterward.
post #531 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaver76 View Post
Prime is required to get the Prime Day deals for the Recast. It's $100 off with the sale. You're right that Prime isn't required for the operation of Recast. The tablet would be required for setup.
Prime trial is free. My family members accidentally sign me up for Prime a couple of times a year when they click the wrong video. Have never paid a penny for it.

I still don't understand why a tablet is required. I don't have any tablets and was able to set up both of my Recasts. You can set up with any mobile device (iOS, Android, etc). If you're so off the grid that you don't even have a cell phone, then I agree that Recast may not be for you.
post #532 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
I got a Recast last week at the $130 price to pair with my Fire TV 4K, partly because DirecTV dropped 2 of the 3 major networks in our area.

Here's my experience:

The integration with Fire TV is great, and the setup was easy.

The Recast's design allows me to place it and the antenna in an upstairs walk in closet (as high as my attic).
A small very thin indoor UHF antenna was pretty good, but didn't pick up all local stations. Upgrading to a Channel Master CM-4220HD fixed the problem, and I was able to put it out of sight on a closet shelf.

Initially, I did not plan to drop DirecTV, but I tried Sling TV and found that it plus the OTA channels pretty much matched what I had, so I cancelled DirecTV.

This simplified my AV equipment down to the Fire TV 4K/Recast, a Denon AVR, and a Samsung TV. I've used a Harmony Hub for years to integrate the equipment, but I found that the Fire TV 4k's remote could find and control them with no issues, so I disconnected the Harmony.

Hopefully, Amazon and Sling TV will work together to integrate the Sling channels into the Recast OTA channels like they do for Pluto.

All in all, Amazon hit one out of the park with this product.

I hope you emailed your local channels (Nexstar I presume) to tell them they wouldn't be getting your retransmission fees via DirecTV any more and why.

I too am using the Recast + Sling. I am hoping they get the guide integration and commercial skip working sooner rather than later.
post #533 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I hope you emailed your local channels (Nexstar I presume) to tell them they wouldn't be getting your retransmission fees via DirecTV any more and why.

I too am using the Recast + Sling. I am hoping they get the guide integration and commercial skip working sooner rather than later.
Just an FYI, Amazon Prime Days have Recast at $130, and Fire TV 4K at $25. They were offering a $40 credit for Sling TV with the Fire Stick 4K earlier today, but I don't know how long that will last.
ncted likes this.
post #534 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
Just an FYI, Amazon Prime Days have Recast at $130, and Fire TV 4K at $25. They were offering a $40 credit for Sling TV with the Fire Stick 4K earlier today, but I don't know how long that will last.
I did order one of these today to replace my aging 2nd generation Firestick. Not sure if I got the Sling credit or whether it applies to current Sling customers.
post #535 of 650 Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Prime trial is free. My family members accidentally sign me up for Prime a couple of times a year when they click the wrong video. Have never paid a penny for it.

I still don't understand why a tablet is required. I don't have any tablets and was able to set up both of my Recasts. You can set up with any mobile device (iOS, Android, etc). If you're so off the grid that you don't even have a cell phone, then I agree that Recast may not be for you.

nope, I don't own a cellphone. The tablet I do have is one of the cheap off brand models. It was a family members idea of a "good" gift a few years ago.
I can't even get the thing to update, or download apps. Anytime I try to update, I get this browser not supported.....yada, yada.. Or some other error message.
post #536 of 650 Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
nope, I don't own a cellphone. The tablet I do have is one of the cheap off brand models. It was a family members idea of a "good" gift a few years ago.
I can't even get the thing to update, or download apps. Anytime I try to update, I get this browser not supported.....yada, yada.. Or some other error message.
The android/IOS device is only needed during initial setup. If you do not want to shell out $30 for a 7" Fire TV tablet, invite a friend with an IOS/Android phone/tablet to dinner. Get the friend drunk and use their device to set up your Recast. Left thumb print usually unlocks the device. Good luck.

Have you considered installing the Blue Stacks android emulator on your PC? Not sure it will work, but BS is free and the Recast is worth the effort. I just installed it and am able to configure the settings on my Recast. I am not willing to factory restore to test initial configuration, but you can always resort to the first solution or return the Recast if things do not work out.

https://www.bluestacks.com/

Last edited by wizwor; 07-16-2019 at 03:45 AM.
post #537 of 650 Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

If anyone bought a Recast, I am looking for a volunteer to attempt to do initial configuration with the Bluestacks Emulator before using an android or IOS device.

https://www.bluestacks.com/
post #538 of 650 Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I did order one of these today to replace my aging 2nd generation Firestick. Not sure if I got the Sling credit or whether it applies to current Sling customers.
I traded in my 1st Generation FireTV box last week, for a $0.99 cent credit, and an automatic 20% discount on a new 4K FireStick. The 20% applied against list price, so that $25 Prime Day sale price dropped to $15- the same as the standard FireStick PrimeDay price. Cool beans.

The Sling credit doesn't apply to existing (or previous) customers.
ncted and wizwor like this.
post #539 of 650 Old 07-17-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I traded in my 1st Generation FireTV box last week, for a $0.99 cent credit, and an automatic 20% discount on a new 4K FireStick. The 20% applied against list price, so that $25 Prime Day sale price dropped to $15- the same as the standard FireStick PrimeDay price. Cool beans.

The Sling credit doesn't apply to existing (or previous) customers.

Yeah, I discovered the credit doesn't apply to existing customers. Still a great deal though!
post #540 of 650 Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
FYI: The Recast does not allow access to locals outside of the USA.

Just got back from a trip to Switzerland. While we were there, Google News reported an earthquake in our area. I grabbed my phone, launched the Fire TV app, and attempted to view local news. But I was told that streaming was not permitted from my current location. I had to use a VPN to access MY local channels.

So my equipment, free local channels, my bandwidth, but Amazon decides I'm not allowed to view my content. Kind of lame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page