Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #541 of 650 Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
So my equipment, free local channels, my bandwidth, but Amazon decides I'm not allowed to view my content. Kind of lame.
Distribution rights are different from region to region. Amazon does not allow it because they are prohibited by law from doing so. Its not "your" content, it belongs to the provider.
wizwor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 650 Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I returned my Recast today. It did not measure up to the wife's expectations. We are actually very happy Dish customers, price and carriage disputes notwithstanding. I was hoping the recast might allow us to solve both of those. Now I am planning to get an OTA module for the Hopper, so we can at least address the carriage disputes without much hassle. The price actually isn't that bad if you take advantage of existing customer promotions and consider the quality of the equipment you get in the bargain.
post #543 of 650 Old 07-21-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Wish list for the next Recast OTA DVR:

1. 1080i playback for 1080i programs

2. Both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 tuners (ATSC 3.0 playback at 4K)
645824 likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 650 Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

1. 1080i playback for 1080i programs

2. Both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 tuners (ATSC 3.0 playback at 4K)
What about commercial skip or video file export?
post #545 of 650 Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post
I'd be happy with both. Let's add them to the list.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #546 of 650 Old 07-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

The FireTVs have 30 second skip, I've been doing without out commercial skip just fine. It reminds me of the old days with the Series 3 TiVos with that 30-second skip hack. But I don't want commercial removal either- it's hit and miss on the PLEX DVR- and I'd rather manually skip through commercials than risk lopping off a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

I don't think there's going to be a "next" Recast. Not to say the product is a failure- but it succeeds in keeping people in the FireTV ecosystem. There's no clear motivation to evolve the product further- even with ATSC 3 looming over the horizon (that we can't seem to make any headway on)
post #547 of 650 Old 07-24-2019, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I think the Recast will get software updates. That's what Amazon does. A lot of people drinking seltzer and eating guacamole in those think tanks. I expect to see other OTT options for the EPG and better integration of Live TV and DVR. Better hardware will permit more than two concurrent streams. I think that is very likely. Before the ATSC 3.0 version ships, Amazon will update the Recast so that more than one box is allowed on a single account -- ATSC 3.0 will be a second Recast (Recast 3.0) that adds channels to the grid. The Recast is more than a feature of the ecosystem -- it's what distinguishes Amazon's ecosystem from the others.
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by wizwor; 07-24-2019 at 02:51 AM.
post #548 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have an annoying problem with my Recast. If I'm watching live TV, I'm constantly getting a "Weak or no signal" message on the screen for some channels, even though the picture looks perfect and isn't pixelating or glitching. The signal strength indicator in channel management shows "Good" on all channels. I'm using rooftop antennas that can't easily be moved, and they are already pointed in the right directions. Anyone have any ideas?
post #549 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I have an annoying problem with my Recast. If I'm watching live TV, I'm constantly getting a "Weak or no signal" message on the screen for some channels, even though the picture looks perfect and isn't pixelating or glitching. The signal strength indicator in channel management shows "Good" on all channels. I'm using rooftop antennas that can't easily be moved, and they are already pointed in the right directions. Anyone have any ideas?
Ignore anything that the Recast has to say about signal strength. You need to use your TV itself for setting an antenna up, they usually have pretty decent meters.

But if you're happy with the picture, just ignore it.
post #550 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
I get this occasionally, too. I have a professionally-mounted rooftop antenna and the channels it's complaining aren't particularly troublesome. I would really like if there was a way to suppress those warnings, or they should build in some logic like, only show the warning if the quality of signal really changes (like there's a local remap or something). In the meantime, I just ignore it.
post #551 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I get this occasionally, too. I have a professionally-mounted rooftop antenna and the channels it's complaining aren't particularly troublesome. I would really like if there was a way to suppress those warnings, or they should build in some logic like, only show the warning if the quality of signal really changes (like there's a local remap or something). In the meantime, I just ignore it.

What he said about being able to suppress the warning message. If there is really a problem with signal strength it should be pretty obvious from pixelation, glitching, etc. I don't need a warning that there is kind of, sort of, maybe a problem, while the picture looks perfect on the screen. Yes, I can ignore it, but it's still annoying when it's popping up every 15 seconds.
post #552 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What he said about being able to suppress the warning message. If there is really a problem with signal strength it should be pretty obvious from pixelation, glitching, etc. I don't need a warning that there is kind of, sort of, maybe a problem, while the picture looks perfect on the screen. Yes, I can ignore it, but it's still annoying when it's popping up every 15 seconds.
Have any of you noticed if the message is recorded when you record a show with low signal? I would not expect it, but was curious.
post #553 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Have any of you noticed if the message is recorded when you record a show with low signal? I would not expect it, but was curious.
Yes, it gets recorded.
wizwor likes this.
post #554 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

Recorded shows have a dialog box at the beginning that says it was recorded with a low signal. I click OK and there are no messages during the show. If I'm watching live I get the low signal message about every 15 seconds.
wizwor likes this.
post #555 of 650 Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

post #556 of 650 Old 07-26-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I had the low signal message issue with the Recast as well. It was one of the reasons I returned it. Clearly they need to adjust the error threshold a bit higher before they display that message.
Ted99 likes this.
post #557 of 650 Old 08-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just an update- I had posted my pre-purchase concerns a month or so back regarding the image quality in the transcode process, with a comparison showing the de-interlacing issues on SD source material on a Tablo Dual (something not experienced, for example, on a TiVo Bolt).

After some continued use, and upgrading my FireTV to a more recent stick version, I've found the video quality overall to be very acceptable- nearly on par with the MPEG recordings on TiVo. (720p60 resolution is not an issue in most displays or devices with good upscaling technology). I'm not seeing mouse-toothed edges on angular straight lines, as experienced on SD source material transcoded on the Tablo, nor other examples of color smearing or other artifacts.

Despite not having commercial skip functionality of either Tablo or TiVo, the shuttle functions are responsive enough that it's a good approximation of the TiVo "skip ahead" behavior on TiVo. Program scheduling is actually easier using Alexa, although Tablo offers better tools for resolving recording conflicts. Tablo still has an advantage on the variety of device apps in play, also that video playback doesn't require the active use of a tuner.

That said, the Recast appears to be a worthy alternative. As a Prime Day discount purchase, it's proving out to be a very good value.
post #558 of 650 Old 08-03-2019, 06:43 AM

Liked: 32
FYI - Best Buy has Recast on sale today and tomorrow at Prime Day pricing.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/amazon-fire-tv-802
BGLeduc, ncted and tapokata like this.
post #559 of 650 Old 08-03-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
FYI - Best Buy has Recast on sale today and tomorrow at Prime Day pricing.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/amazon-fire-tv-802
Fire Sticks are also at PD pricing.
wizwor likes this.
post #560 of 650 Old 08-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Purchased a recast at BB a couple days ago and hooked it up last night. Not a fan of the picture. Very soft. I have a straight line into the antenna and a second to the recast. A/b ing the picture, the straight TV tuner blows away the recast picture. Hooked up a Tablo dual instead of the tv tuner and A/B ing the Tablo vs recast, again the recast is soft in comparison. The 720 maybe my deal breaker of returning it. Not all that thrilled with the motion on the Tablo, but atleast the picture looks sharper. Not sure what to do. This is more or less just to record my local football game, since Hulu live doesn't carry cbs in my neighborhood.
post #561 of 650 Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 174
How do you connect other fire sticks and a fire cube to the recast ? I installed the recast with a 4-k fire stick but I have 2 more 4k sticks and a fire cube. Do I need to take each one and pair it with the recast ? I don't see an option on the mobile app to add another device. On the fire cube I see where you can add a device. Is it done there ?

Why can you only have one recast per account ?

I wanted to put one on each TV over time after I get rid of the Stream + that are no use to me.

Recast is a great addition for my set up and I like it a lot better than the stream +.

Thanks in advance.

MY 5.4.4 SET UP (Dolby Atmos)
Onkyo TX-NR809, Denon X4200 (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (side surrounds Primus P363), 2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs. 4 ea Over head in ceiling 8" speakers.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, VIZIO 70"4K HDR TV-F3, Samsung BD-8500 Player.
post #562 of 650 Old 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
If they're all on the same account as the Recast and on the same network, it happens automatically. There is nothing for you to do. I think this automatic pairing is probably the reason there can only be one per account.

I have multiple Recasts, each on a different account. I have to set up each device (Fire stick, etc.) on the same account as the Recast I want it to access.
post #563 of 650 Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by anam8tr View Post
Purchased a recast at BB a couple days ago and hooked it up last night. Not a fan of the picture. Very soft. I have a straight line into the antenna and a second to the recast. A/b ing the picture, the straight TV tuner blows away the recast picture. Hooked up a Tablo dual instead of the tv tuner and A/B ing the Tablo vs recast, again the recast is soft in comparison. The 720 maybe my deal breaker of returning it. Not all that thrilled with the motion on the Tablo, but atleast the picture looks sharper. Not sure what to do. This is more or less just to record my local football game, since Hulu live doesn't carry cbs in my neighborhood.
FWIW, Hulu Live streams at 720P, the same as the Recast (nearly all of the live channel OTT services max out at 720P, with the only variation in the frame rate), so you're not going to see much difference in picture quality due to resolution differences between live channel streaming and the transcoded image from the Recast. A 720P source will be upscaled the same way by your TV, to the native resolution of the panel- the scaler technology used in the TV typically is the same, no matter the physical source.

Certainly, there can be a difference between transcoded image and a native MPEG-2 broadcast image. The transcode processing is de-interlacing, scaling, and adding some compression to the native image format (a format that is recorded directly by the Recast, and transcoded on the fly during playback). That said, you might take a little time to work with your picture settings, looking at adjustments for sharpness, contrast, "dynamic range changes," edge enhancements, and motion processing on your TV. It's possible that the default values used for your OTA antenna reception are different than what are set for the HDMI port, which can make a difference. You may not make the images identical, but a few modest adjustments may make any differences far less objectionable.
post #564 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If they're all on the same account as the Recast and on the same network, it happens automatically. There is nothing for you to do. I think this automatic pairing is probably the reason there can only be one per account.

I have multiple Recasts, each on a different account. I have to set up each device (Fire stick, etc.) on the same account as the Recast I want it to access.
OK I see what you mean now. I will have to take a look at the other fire sticks to see if they are connected.
However the fire cube is not connected because I don't see the DVR listed in the top banner. All items are on the same network and account. Looking at my device list on amazon.com I don't see the 4k stick listed that is paired with the recast. I installed a new 4k stick first and then the recast on the same day.

On the cube I see the Pluto channels but not the over the air channels

Let me know if you can think of anything else as to why the cube is not connecting.

I really do appreciate your help.

Onkyo TX-NR809, Denon X4200 (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (side surrounds Primus P363), 2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs. 4 ea Over head in ceiling 8" speakers.
post #565 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Let me know if you can think of anything else as to why the cube is not connecting.
On the Cube, go into Settings - Device - About and force the Cube to check for and install updates then reboot the Cube.
post #566 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anam8tr View Post
Purchased a recast at BB a couple days ago and hooked it up last night. Not a fan of the picture. Very soft.
720P should look pretty good. I suspect you're not actually getting full 720P. I have my Recast hard wired, and have good strong wifi to my sticks. That usually gives me a good picture. Sometimes I have to stop and restart playback to get the quality to ramp all the way up.
post #567 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Fire TV Cube Help Videos
Getting Started with Fire TV Cube

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...CZZD86ZU3ALBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
OK I see what you mean now. I will have to take a look at the other fire sticks to see if they are connected.
However the fire cube is not connected because I don't see the DVR listed in the top banner. All items are on the same network and account. Looking at my device list on amazon.com I don't see the 4k stick listed that is paired with the recast. I installed a new 4k stick first and then the recast on the same day.

On the cube I see the Pluto channels but not the over the air channels

I really do appreciate your help.
post #568 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
720P should look pretty good. I suspect you're not actually getting full 720P. I have my Recast hard wired, and have good strong wifi to my sticks. That usually gives me a good picture. Sometimes I have to stop and restart playback to get the quality to ramp all the way up.
Thanks for the replies. Going to really play around with it tonight, only had about 10 minutes of setup time with it. My wifi is good and strong and my picture setup is good, but maybe there are some tweaks I can try.
post #569 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recast 720p looks about as good as Dish and better than Uverse to me. Do I wish it were 1080p? Sure, but so little of what we watch is actually on broadcast TV anymore, it really isn't that big of a deal.
post #570 of 650 Old 08-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On the Cube, go into Settings - Device - About and force the Cube to check for and install updates then reboot the Cube.
I'll give it try.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page