Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212Likes

post #31 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Exclamation I don't think that means what you think. :) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
All your responses regarding voice control make zero sense. I was responding to your post that said the lack of a mic on the tuner itself "nailed the coffin shut". That means you WANT a mic.
Never posted that!

What nailed the coffin shut :

[quote] NO external storage

NO back up recordings.[/quote[

Quote:
Plus confirmation that this thing has NO MICROPHONES in it!
Means I want confirmation that there are NO MICROPHONES In the device, period. I do not TRUST them!

Quote:
Make up your mind.
Seems to be you misinterpreted the post. My mind is quite made up. I do NOT WISH for voice input on ANY DEVICE, period.

It can gab away all it ones, based on my keyboard, mouse, touch screen input.

Quote:
We just don't want cable/satellite TV bills.
My DBS bill was shredded over a year ago. Not coming back!

OTA, and content acquisition system =$0/year! WOOT!

Quote:
I also think very few of us save everything we've ever recorded forever. I record, watch, delete. I've never used more than 1TB for OTA even
I do not delete. Nothing, ever. video files, or other stuff on computers. If I had RLL or MFM HD controllers to read the stuff I could pull out some disks from 30+ years ago to read stuff. No deleting. Ever.

I basically could do my UHF reruns staion for LMS, BBT, if I wanted to whip up the scripts, and really I just might considering the relatively small pool of LMS that seems to get shown. I've got larger pressing software issues right now for work, and other things.

Quote:
And I think very few cord cutters do zero streaming like you.
I have ZERO paid streams. Crackle, although its easier to get their stuff my way, Popcorn, and Tubi offer stuff that is acceptable to me, ZERO COST and if you work at it, their ads are removable, or easily ignored, since most put up this nice timer which tells you how much time you have to run to the bar for a refill.

If you are paying you ain't cutting the cord!

Quote:
My Tivo is great,
Tivo/rovio should DIE DIE DIE a horrible painful death, and hopefully cox is going to put them out of business for good! *&^(%*^^ patent trolls!

I hope that all those who got extorted for licensing fees sue rovio for repayment and bankrupt that despicable company.

Quote:
but it can't run OTT ...... Firestick plus Mini in every room to just a Firestick.
If you bought into to the whole fire thing, maybe it works for you. I didn't. I like my nice little $40 android box, plop VLC on it, Network, NAS, Todays Videos, play! Done. Rinse repeat. Same on the TV, install VLC, repeat. I play my stuff I move on.

A networked tuner gets me away from sneaker net with the USB sticks from the VIewTV's. Plus I don't have to go climb around in the attic to dig out the coax run to the TV(s) from DBS. My attic is not a simple access for this. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother. It was a huge PITA just doing the simple quick runs for my LMR stuff. Stupid ding dong contractors borq'd up something which makes accessing it 90% worse than it has to be. Cramped space is the least of the problem. Fixing that one issue would be $$$$$$$$.

I've made my choice on the device(s) which will connect to screens for playback, Android, simple little boxes with HARDWARE h.264/265. These will deal with the various formats via software. So the tuner, be it reacst or HDHR or tablo, just need to provide Android software, and call it a day. Download APK or in the Google repo, whichever or both. The tuner needs to be robust in features, especially storage be it NAS or locally connected via USB, eSATA or something else new fangled.

The iView Cyber box is sort of a cross of the various mStar devices and Andoird boxes I have. I think its overpriced at $130. $99 gets it closer, but I sill would have to make that attic trip, and the mStar DVCR has foibles. Maybe this allows the USB storage to be accessed via the net? Not seen any one test it out.
arbegas likes this.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
Seems to be you misinterpreted the post...
I agree 100% with everything you just said EXCEPT keeping recordings forever. I have no reason to do that. Tivo/Rovi ARE indeed patent trolls. I'm glad to see their latest string of losses in court. The Amazons and Googles of the world do engage in criminal levels of invasion of privacy and have built their empires on it. I wish we would stand up to them like Europe does.

I wish I could completely cut the cord like you. You're hardcore, and I respect that. But I don't mind paying a few bucks to watch whatever I want. I have no problem paying content creators a reasonable amount for their work. I do have a problem paying bogus broadcast fees, outlet fees, mirror fees, etc., which is why I dropped cable. I also think we're all being extorted by ESPN, so at my earliest opportunity I'll be switching to Philo because there are still several cable channels I like to watch, and that's the cheapest non-sports option.
JHBrandt and arbegas like this.
post #33 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
im tired of that too, about google and amazon. you can place also in that basket facebook.

anyone knows about this one ?
https://duckduckgo.com/
suppose to leave navigate anonymously

hope somebody get cracked this boxes or build some for install on it, its only way to get all that we wish .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
im tired of that too, about google and amazon. you can place also in that basket facebook.

anyone knows about this one ?
https://duckduckgo.com/
suppose to leave navigate anonymously

hope somebody get cracked this boxes or build some for install on it, its only way to get all that we wish .
I have a friend who uses duckduckgo. I'm not entirely convinced though. How do they pay the bills (see what I did there)?
post #35 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I have a friend who uses duckduckgo. I'm not entirely convinced though. How do they pay the bills (see what I did there)?
There's an old saying, if you are not PAYING for the product you ARE the product.

You are with DuckDuckGo too. The difference is that DuckDuckGo sells ads on it's search results page and segments those ads based on the search terms you enter, rather than who you are. So if you enter "Price of 2018 Honda CRV" on DuckDuckGo you will see ads from Honda dealers on the results page. With Google, when you enter those search terms you may see the same ads. But then you will see the ads on many other sites because your profile is tied to the search term.
post #36 of 681 Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Attention Moderators, I started this thread, but it needs to be retitled to change the project name "Frank" to the release name "Recast".
I attempted this, but it only changed the Header in my beginning Post.

Please change, or advise how I can myself. Thank you in advance.
tveli likes this.
post #37 of 681 Old 09-24-2018, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
1. The Amazon Recast is a loathsome brute yet I cannot look away.

2. It's understandable that some of the people do not want an Alexa camel's nose under their tent, but what a pleasant camel she is.

3. It was easy to find this thread even though it has FRANK in the headline instead of RECAST.

4. "Alexa play cat videos"
post #38 of 681 Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
I also think we're all being extorted by ESPN, so at my earliest opportunity I'll be switching to Philo because there are still several cable channels I like to watch, and that's the cheapest non-sports option.
+1. For the benefit of others I'd like to point out the Sling TV "Blue" base package also omits the ABC/Disney/ESPN behemoth. It isn't a non-sports package (it includes some NBC and Fox sports channels), but the "Orange" package that includes ABC, Disney, and ESPN, even though it's the same price as Blue ($25/month), offers fewer channels and only allows a single stream per household. (Blue allows three simultaneous streams per household.)

I suspect many folks choose Sling Orange specifically for ESPN. They pay the price in flexibility and channel selection, if not in dollars and cents.
post #39 of 681 Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I agree 100% with everything you just said EXCEPT keeping recordings forever. I have no reason to do that.
1) Habit, I've never deleted stuff in th epast, no reason to start now!

2) Some of this stuff is not on DVD, or even if it is it might be difficult to get, and/or its too costly, or too costly for my taste.

Quote:
I
Tivo/Rovi ARE indeed patent trolls. I'm glad to see their latest string of losses in court.
I'd bet that their days are numbered.

Quote:
I
The Amazons and Googles of the world do engage in criminal levels of invasion of privacy and have built their empires on it. I wish we would stand up to them like Europe does.
While I like some of what they are doing to a point, I think they go a little too far with things..

Thats why VPN's, cookie deletion, ad blocks, ghostery for "analytical" etc. blocks. You have to cut down on the data they can collect, and its usefulness.

Quote:
I
I wish I could completely cut the cord like you. You're hardcore, and I respect th
It was not a plan, it sort of came about, and when you start to pay attention $1800/year pays for alot of things, or looks really good in the savings or IRA etc.

Quote:
I. But I don't mind paying a few bucks to watch whatever I want. I have no problem paying content creators a reasonable amount for their work.
I don't either, but I am afraid we are miles to universe apart on what qualifies as fair and reasonable. Till the kooklywood creators reign in their expectations, errr demands, things will continue on this way, at least for me. I have no problem with things like Crackle etc. and their ads, and adding paid product placements hell BBT may as well be a Target ad. Or even go as far as the past like BBT presented by Target much like the Texaco PlayHouse of the past....

Quote:
I
I do have a problem paying bogus broadcast fees, outlet fees, mirror fees, etc., which is why I dropped cable. I also think we're all being extorted by ESPN, so at my earliest opportunity I'll be switching to Philo because there are still several cable channels I like to watch, and that's the cheapest non-sports option.
All of that and sports subsidies or channel subsidies for crap channels, is another of the big reasons I am where I am at.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #40 of 681 Old 09-27-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
Attention Moderators, I started this thread, but it needs to be retitled to change the project name "Frank" to the release name "Recast".
I attempted this, but it only changed the Header in my beginning Post.

Please change, or advise how I can myself. Thank you in advance.
You might want to send Dr. Don a PM. I'm sure he can't follow every thread.
post #41 of 681 Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I still doubt I'll be purchasing Recast, but, I did purchase the top of line 4K Fire TV pendant this week, on a Prime subscriber sale for $40.

As we all know, Amazon Fire OS is "forked" from an earlier version of Android, and as I'm one of the few who actually enjoys my Stream+ Android TV, it was interesting comparing them.

4K Fire TV supports Netflix, and Prime, and the subscription channels within Prime. These are big pluses. I continue to believe Stream+ will get an authorized Netflix app. 4K Fire TV is much snappier than the Fire Stick, and at times I forgot that I wasn't using Stream +.
The big issue for me, is that there is no support for external storage, meaning, I can't use 4K Fire TV as my recording engine/interface for HDHomerun DVR service.

Looking at Recast, I doubt it would be stable in my home environment. First, I want my OTA recordings uncompressed, which requires hard wire connections between tuner and router. That is the most important device connection. All devices that allow WIFI connection between tuner & router will transcode the broadcast signal, slowing down of channel changing, and not permitting uncompressed recordings. Stability and speed are way different. Modern wifi reflects much faster transfer speeds than Ethernet, but in my environment there are tremendous amount of signals above/below all over, from cell phones, microwaves, as well as WIFI, and I've experienced issues from those signals on recordings where the tuner uses WIFI. Using Ethernet for that initial connection works better. It is absolutely fast enough for 4K video, even though it is slower than WIFI, with no interference, resulting in a far more stable system.

Others may not live in an area with soo many troublesome signals, and WIFI may work flawlessly. That's why I believe everything isn't for everybody.

I am really impressed with this 4K Fire TV pendant, but will be enjoying with my HDHomerun DVR. I'm sure Recast will be a great solution for lots of Families, and am a bit envious of those who will be able to integrate it into their system.
post #42 of 681 Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I still doubt I'll be purchasing Recast, but, I did purchase the top of line 4K Fire TV pendant this week, on a Prime subscriber sale for $40.
I bought one also, a few weeks back on a sale. It's OK, but I dislike that you can't use a standard IR based universal remote with it (well, actually you can with a $21 Inteset IReTV receiver, but it's another piece you have to buy).

The Fire TV Recast does have an Ethernet port, so I suspect you're lamenting the fact that the Fire TV streaming devices generally don't have Ethernet ports. That is a limitation for me as well, as I prefer to use Ethernet for streaming devices if possible.
post #43 of 681 Old 09-30-2018, 10:49 PM

im having issues with stream + with wifi. , but anyway im getting more stable connection with upnp, samba devices using ethernet port.

despite router its next to stream +.
post #44 of 681 Old 10-01-2018, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I bought one also, a few weeks back on a sale. It's OK, but I dislike that you can't use a standard IR based universal remote with it (well, actually you can with a $21 Inteset IReTV receiver, but it's another piece you have to buy).

The Fire TV Recast does have an Ethernet port, so I suspect you're lamenting the fact that the Fire TV streaming devices generally don't have Ethernet ports. That is a limitation for me as well, as I prefer to use Ethernet for streaming devices if possible.
I've been using the Sony TV remote to control the 4K Fire TV box via CEC. It works for 95% of its functions, just no voice control.

My sister had me setup a FireTV in her home last year, and I had to purchase the Ethernet adapter for stability reasons, so, I bought one when I purchased my 4K Fire TV last week. The only things not connected by hardwire in my home are 2 iPhones, and an HD 10 Fire Tablet.

At least that is an option with some Amazon devices. If there was an option to record without transcoding on Recast, I would be tempted.
mdavej likes this.
post #45 of 681 Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Someone help me understand how my AVR 5.1 would work with this device.
Guessing the tv monitor must connect to AVR, since this device has no HDMI or audio out.

Currently the DVR+ is connected to AVR.
post #46 of 681 Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
Someone help me understand how my AVR 5.1 would work with this device.
Guessing the tv monitor must connect to AVR, since this device has no HDMI or audio out.

Currently the DVR+ is connected to AVR.
Fire TV is the thing that you watch. So plug the HDMI cable from your Fire TV into your AVR same as you do your TV or Roku or Apple TV today. I suppose you could do ARC from your TV, but that's usually pretty limited, so I wouldn't recommend that approach unless you have a Smart TV running Android or Fire TV OS and can run the Recast app from there.
post #47 of 681 Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Fire TV is the thing that you watch. So plug the HDMI cable from your Fire TV into your AVR same as you do your TV or Roku or Apple TV today. I suppose you could do ARC from your TV, but that's usually pretty limited, so I wouldn't recommend that approach unless you have a Smart TV running Android or Fire TV OS and can run the Recast app from there.
ahh. of course, I didn't say my AVR is very old Denon 3200 with no HDMI.
I use fire stick on tvs in bedrooms, so up to now, audio not been an issue. DVR+ has optical output fortunately.

So another compelling reason to upgrade AVR if Recast is ever required in living room.
post #48 of 681 Old 10-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
ahh. of course, I didn't say my AVR is very old Denon 3200 with no HDMI.
I use fire stick on tvs in bedrooms, so up to now, audio not been an issue. DVR+ has optical output fortunately.

So another compelling reason to upgrade AVR if Recast is ever required in living room.
No need to upgrade on account of Recast. Just get a previous generation Fire TV box with optical out or plug in any stick and use the optical out from your TV.

Last edited by mdavej; 10-04-2018 at 01:58 PM.
post #49 of 681 Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
im having issues with stream + with wifi. , but anyway im getting more stable connection with upnp, samba devices using ethernet port.

despite router its next to stream +.
You should reach out to yeager on the Stream+ thread to try the experimental firmware 1.3.7. I did and got the new firmware on my S+ on 9/24. It hasn't dropped wifi since I installed the new firmware.
ToadB likes this.
post #50 of 681 Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

Not that I'm Dissapointed in the least, but should have guessed that the 4K Fire TV at $39.99 for Prime members was a signal of it being discontinued.

Went back last night to get another, and found out, the 4K fire tv pendant (2017) IS DISCONTINUED, and been replaced with the new 4K Ultra Fire Stick with new remote with volume control for supported devices. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QHML21..._ods_fs_smp_ms The remote with power & volume control of TV is also available separately for $29, and works with most newer Fire TV devices.

Like I said not Dissapointed as a had received a great price. I was already committed so, I purchased the new 4K Ultra Fire Stick as well at $49.99. Doesn't ship till Oct 31, but will be nice to be able to use single remote.

They also have a Recast/4K Fire Stick bundle for $249.97

Last edited by merman9393; 10-05-2018 at 08:50 PM.
post #51 of 681 Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed Amazon's information (homepage, faq, etc.) for the Fire TV Recast doesn't say anything about being able to rewind, pause, or fast forward recorded content? They do mention being able to do so while watching live content, but I can't find anything about recorded content. While not being able to rewind, pause, or fast forward recorded content would limit the appeal of the Recast, maybe Amazon thinks they can get props from the broadcast networks by making it as difficult as possible to avoid commercials. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance for all replies.
post #52 of 681 Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I want my OTA recordings uncompressed, which requires hard wire connections between tuner and router. That is the most important device connection. All devices that allow WIFI connection between tuner & router will transcode the broadcast signal, slowing down of channel changing, and not permitting uncompressed recordings.
In theory WiFi should be plenty fast for OTA with no transcoding. Even my old-fashioned 802.11g router will do 54 Mb/s and all you need is 19.4 Mb/s. But in practice, things seldom work out so well. That's why I always prefer wired connections or, failing that, power-line adapters (although I've had frustrations with those too).

That said, my cheapo Roku Express, which lacks any connectivity option other than WiFi, has surprised me with how well it's performed. (Of course, Roku requires transcoding anyway, so its bandwidth requirements probably aren't that high.)
arbegas likes this.
post #53 of 681 Old 10-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
@JT01 , the Variety article about the Recast, https://variety.com/2018/digital/fea...on-1202960053/, mentions that currently pressing the fast forward button on the Fire TV will fast forward 30 seconds. It also states Amazon is looking into adding advance ad skipping to the recast. I would be shocked if the Recast didn't have rewind and pause included as well.
post #54 of 681 Old 10-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonchien View Post
You should reach out to yeager on the Stream+ thread to try the experimental firmware 1.3.7. I did and got the new firmware on my S+ on 9/24. It hasn't dropped wifi since I installed the new firmware.

i give a try , thank you but today i was watching one streaming channel using wifi (.m3u8), and i get droping connections in that way, plug ethernet cable and it fix it, so its a new issue i guess.
post #55 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Fire TV Recast, over-the-air DVR

Fire TV Recast, over-the-air DVR (500 GB, 75 hours or 1 TB, 150 hours )
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J1GPB8...=b0c55-20&th=1

• Fire TV Recast is a DVR that lets you watch and record over-the-air TV at home or on-the-go with a Fire TV, Echo Show, or compatible mobile device—with no monthly fees.
  • Watch and record live sports, local news, late night shows, and other can’t miss TV from channels available through an HD antenna (sold separately) like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, and The CW.
  • With 4 tuners, you can record up to 4 shows at once. Plus, store up to 150 hours of HD programming.
  • With a compatible Alexa-enabled device, you can use your voice to search for shows, manage and schedule recordings, and help with other requests. Say things like “Alexa, open Channel Guide" or “Alexa, record ‘Riverdale.’”
  • Fire TV Recast delivers the most reliable video streams over Wi-Fi of any over-the-air DVR.
This item will be released on November 14, 2018

What are the thoughts on this?
post #56 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@merman9393 started a pre-release thread on this product: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...ve-tv-dvr.html

Now that it's about to be released, perhaps that thread should be merged into this one, or vice versa?
post #57 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One detail I missed about the Recast is that it has four tuners. If you do a lot of recording that could be a big advantage over 2-tuner competitors like the AirTV BB, Tablo, etc.

OTOH if you need more than two tuners, you'll probably fill 500 GB up pretty quick, so you're probably looking at the more expensive 1TB Recast anyway.

Maybe Amazon should have put only two or three tuners in the 500 GB model. That would at least justify the price difference. Disk storage just isn't that expensive.
post #58 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There are two different models. The two tuner model has 500 GB of storage, and the four tuner model has 1 TB of storage. It's $230 for the two tuner, and $280 for the four tuner. I think the cost difference is pretty reasonable, and the fact that there is no additional fee if you are a Prime member is a big plus for me. Since I use an Amazon FireTV, I suspect I will purchase one, but I'm waiting to see if they go on sale on Black Friday or around Christmas.

SMK
post #59 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
OTOH if you need more than two tuners, you'll probably fill 500 GB up pretty quick, so you're probably looking at the more expensive 1TB Recast anyway.
I have had several four tuner TiVos with 500GB and it's never been an (actual) issue. Once I got close as I virtually stopped watching "TV" for a while as I caught up with numerous streaming series. I simply deleted x hours of TV I hadn't watched in x weeks. I could have skirted the issue but it was a relief to "rid" myself of x hours I didn't really want to watch anyway. Now four tuners are a must. As some nights (often Tuesday/Thursday) will demand four tuners in order not to lose what I actually want to watch...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #60 of 681 Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
There are two different models. The two tuner model has 500 GB of storage, and the four tuner model has 1 TB of storage. It's $230 for the two tuner, and $280 for the four tuner. I think the cost difference is pretty reasonable.... Since I use an Amazon FireTV, I suspect I will purchase one, but I'm waiting to see if they go on sale on Black Friday or around Christmas.

SMK
OK that makes more sense then. I'd say the 4-tuner model is priced about right. As for the 2-tuner model, I think what I said earlier is still true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think if Amazon's intent was to use the [2-tuner] Recast to get folks to switch from whatever they're using to Fire TV, then they would have chosen a much lower price point. At $119 it would look very attractive compared to the AirTV BB or Tablo, particularly with its built-in 500GB HDD. It might well be worth replacing a couple of Rokus or even a high-end Apple TV.

At $229, I think they're just trying to sell a product to make money. OTOH, they seem to have generated an amazing amount of buzz even at $229, so what do I know? The AirTV certainly has its flaws, as I've pointed out on that thread, but perhaps the biggest is simply that almost no one knows it exists, even among AVSForum members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
... the fact that there is no additional fee if you are a Prime member is a big plus for me.
Great example of Amazon's marketing. If there had been no fee at all (as with the AirTV BB, for instance) that probably wouldn't even have factored into your decision. But by charging a fee, but waiving it for Prime members, it makes it seem like Prime members are getting a "bargain"

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page