Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #631 of 650 Old 09-19-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
Rebooting a device to avoid or workaround bugs is consistent with it having shoddy software or broken hardware.

My alexa recast has never rebooted unintentionally as far as I have seen. I run it nonstop for days via the big alexa show subwoofer gen 2. The remote fire tv app on cellphones seems flawless too, can seemingly run forever without reboot/restart.

While I do not disagree, pretty much every successful DVR ever made reboots every night. I can only assume it is to clear buffers/caches that get fragmented due to garbage collection and do consistency checks on databases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
While I do not disagree, pretty much every successful DVR ever made reboots every night. I can only assume it is to clear buffers/caches that get fragmented due to garbage collection and do consistency checks on databases.
Seriously? I have had DTVPals, DVR+s, TiVos, Simple TV DVRs, and a Tablo TV DVR. Have never had to reboot these to make things work.
tveli likes this.
post #633 of 650 Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Seriously? I have had DTVPals, DVR+s, TiVos, Simple TV DVRs, and a Tablo TV DVR. Have never had to reboot these to make things work.
Not sure about all of those but the Tivo, DTVPal, Hopper3, DirecTV DVRs, Passport Echo and probably others either do a full reboot or have a maintenance routine that runs every night to maintain stability. The Tablo does do something if you enable commercial skip, so it probably does as well. Of course, this all happens automatically, so you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it or have to manually intervene.
kateyes likes this.

Last edited by ncted; 09-19-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 650 Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I discovered the Recast had been failing to record yet another show, and didn't record The Good Place preview tonight, so I have now done a factory reset. It deleted all the recordings, but it saved all the series recording information. I have to say my initially positive impressions of the Recast are quickly turning sour. Unfortunately, the other options are either do a crappy job of receiving my local OTA signals compared to the Recast (AirTV & Tablo) or are expensive and require dedicated hardware at each location (Tivo).

Fingers-crossed that the reset sorts things out.
post #635 of 650 Old 09-20-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess NBC titled that The Good Place preview with an extra title like "SPECIAL" or something like that which didn't flag the Recast to record it as part of the series.
post #636 of 650 Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Or he has signal problems due to an inadequate antenna.
post #637 of 650 Old 09-20-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post
Or he has signal problems due to an inadequate antenna.

Everything comes in fine on all channels except CBS, which is currently running on a temporary transmitter due to the repack, and other shows, like 60 Minutes and . None of my TVs or my friend's Roamio OTA have any issues receiving any of the channels the Tablo or AitTV struggle with, so I assume the problem is somehow related to multipath or something else that they don't handle as well.

FWIW: The antenna is a CM 4221HD with a CM 7778 pre-amp mounted in my attic, and I am ~28 miles from the main antenna farm.

Reception issues shouldn't prevent a recording from happening in any case, especially the way the Recast just dumps the MPEG2 data on the hard drive. It should only present a problem when you go to transcode it for streaming. The Good Place just didn't show up in the scheduled recordings or actually get recorded, so that could be a guide data issue. Other shows have showed up as scheduled, but then weren't recorded. Unlike Tivo or Dish DVRs, there is no log I can find that explains why a show didn't record when it was supposed to. This was one of my concerns with the "black box" approach of the Recast/Tablo.
post #638 of 650 Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Everything comes in fine on all channels except CBS, which is currently running on a temporary transmitter due to the repack, and other shows, like 60 Minutes and . None of my TVs or my friend's Roamio OTA have any issues receiving any of the channels the Tablo or AitTV struggle with, so I assume the problem is somehow related to multipath or something else that they don't handle as well.

FWIW: The antenna is a CM 4221HD with a CM 7778 pre-amp mounted in my attic, and I am ~28 miles from the main antenna farm.

Reception issues shouldn't prevent a recording from happening in any case, especially the way the Recast just dumps the MPEG2 data on the hard drive. It should only present a problem when you go to transcode it for streaming. The Good Place just didn't show up in the scheduled recordings or actually get recorded, so that could be a guide data issue. Other shows have showed up as scheduled, but then weren't recorded. Unlike Tivo or Dish DVRs, there is no log I can find that explains why a show didn't record when it was supposed to. This was one of my concerns with the "black box" approach of the Recast/Tablo.
Seems to have recorded for me automatically. Rarely, if a signal is no good, it will record a partial show or none at all. Perhaps your local stations are tinkering with transmitter or a sporting event pre-empted the show in your location, or the guide info was wrong in your location.
post #639 of 650 Old 09-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not that I was expecting a different experience, but adding an external expansion drive to the Recast is incredibly simple. I purchased a WD 2 TB USB 3.0 drive (one of the three external devices officially blessed by Amazon). Connect it to the Recast. You get one prompt screen on the fireTV home screen to set up the drive- after which the Recast quickly formats the drive, and then adds it the total storage. No drama, No problems, and No reboots required. The added space is available immediately.

As we used to say when comparing a Mac to a PC: It just works.
post #640 of 650 Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
has anyone tried Recast HDD expansion with external Docks/Cradles? Buying a dedicated external just for this is a bridge too far for me when I have numerous spare internal HDDs.
post #641 of 650 Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Was pleasantly surprised to see channel numbers added to the guide in the latest update. This is a feature I've been wanting since day one. Finally I can sort out which of the dozen PBS channels with identical logos I'm looking at in the guide. Thanks Jeff!

Regarding HDD cradle, I've used them in many applications over the years, and they've never failed to function exactly like an external drive. So I think your risk is very, very low. Just make sure if it's an older or bigger spinning drive that has significant power requirements that you can plug in an external power supply.
post #642 of 650 Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I wish there was a way to sort favorites. My OTA (NBC, CBS, etc) channels get lost among my Pluto TV favs. So NBC and CBS may be separated by 7 or 8 Pluto channels. Id like the major locals all bunched together. Any workaround?
Thanks.
post #643 of 650 Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
I wish there was a way to sort favorites. My OTA (NBC, CBS, etc) channels get lost among my Pluto TV favs. So NBC and CBS may be separated by 7 or 8 Pluto channels. Id like the major locals all bunched together. Any workaround?
Thanks.
I'd love to have that feature too, but it doesn't exist. In fact, the different channel lists are sorted differently. It appears that Favs are sorted alphabetically by call letters, but other lists, like Fire TV Recast are sorted by channel number. So my local ABC station (WXYZ channel 3.1) is at the bottom of my Fav list, but at the top of my Recast list.
JH64 likes this.
post #644 of 650 Old 09-30-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'd love to have that feature too, but it doesn't exist. In fact, the different channel lists are sorted differently. It appears that Favs are sorted alphabetically by call letters, but other lists, like Fire TV Recast are sorted by channel number. So my local ABC station (WXYZ channel 3.1) is at the bottom of my Fav list, but at the top of my Recast list.
Yes! Everything makes sense until I mix sources for Favs.
post #645 of 650 Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Streaming on the Go

Does anyone have experience with the Streaming on the Go function? I've been trying to use the Fire TV app on my Moto G5 Plus android phone and HD10 tablet to access the Recast outside my WIFI network. In general it works, but there is buffering approximately every 2 minutes, which is annoying. I've tried all settings on the Fire TV app, and setting it to a higher speed will reduce the time between buffer interruptions, but the highest speed will still pause about every 2 minutes for 5 to 10 seconds. My home internet connection is only 5 meg up - is this too slow or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance for all responses.
post #646 of 650 Old 10-04-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Streaming on the Go function? I've been trying to use the Fire TV app on my Moto G5 Plus android phone and HD10 tablet to access the Recast outside my WIFI network. In general it works, but there is buffering approximately every 2 minutes, which is annoying. I've tried all settings on the Fire TV app, and setting it to a higher speed will reduce the time between buffer interruptions, but the highest speed will still pause about every 2 minutes for 5 to 10 seconds. My home internet connection is only 5 meg up - is this too slow or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance for all responses.

I haven't had any issues in testing out of home streaming. My internet is 100Mb up, which may help.
post #647 of 650 Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I haven't had any issues in testing out of home streaming. My internet is 100Mb up, which may help.

That's 20 times my speed -anyone have good results with a lower up speed?
post #648 of 650 Old 10-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post
Bad news on the external drives... I got a 4GB and it still has plenty of room.

But the Recast is telling me it's almost full! So apparently 2GB IS the limit on useful external drives.
FYI, I added a 3T WD MyBook to my 1T Recast. Storage Capacity: 3.6 TB of 3.88 TB available. So it sees the 3T disk correctly.
645824, ncted and tapokata like this.
post #649 of 650 Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
It is possible…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Thanks.
This is kind of possible. It is the way Amazon handles favorites on this device that is a PITA.
For your Favorites only favorite your absolute favorite channels. For me, that is 100% OTA and mostly the networks “.1” channel.
In the area where you can remove channels, blast away (hide) at the stuff you will never watch. For me, that would be duplicates (I get two metro areas) and silly .2-.4 stations of no use to me like ridiculous 1950s-1970s shows, PBS kids channels, shopping, bible thumpers, etc. I do not speak Spanish but I kept them because: free soccer…
This kind of works but, again, because of Amazon's insane interface for thee channel guide, you have to be sure you are looking at the Favorites section. Inexplicably, if you are on a channel and pop back to the guide, instead of back to your Favorites, it pops back to the full channel selection (except the ones you hide).
Don't get me started on the iOS Recast app and Echo Show 5. Selecting a station on the Show from Recast is a total nightmare! A horizontal scroll of all the OTA stations, including the ones you removed. Insanity to make a customer scroll through 54 stations, in my case. 75% of which, I do not watch in the kitchen or anywhere.
post #650 of 650 Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Recast is not integrated with FTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I have found the Recast/FireStick combination functions best when the Firestick is restarted daily and the Recast rebooted once a week or whenever problems start that aren't fixed by a FireStick restart. Although I haven't had the record issues you describe, there are numerous lesser problems that have been fixed (at least temporarily) by the procedures above. Try restarting the FireStick and the Recast on a regular basis and see if there are fewer problems.
I was talking to a senior tech at Amazon. Recast is running solo. It does not rely on the FTV device at all. You could run it with just the Recast app on a phone, if you wanted to. I guess if you had a TV with screen mirroring, you could send it to the TV from the phone, with no FTV. Actually, I do that to an old kitchen TV and an Apple TV 4. But screen mirror from Recast app.

Restarting the FTV device probably helps the FTV but, has no impact on the Recast.

So far, my Recast has not needed restarting at all. But the Cube v1, I have, usually once a month or every few weeks. Also, manually check for updates on your FTV device too if it is acting up.
Apple TV 4/4K? Have never needed restarting…
mdavej and ncted like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page