Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 211Likes

post #661 of 681 Old 11-19-2019, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
That is super-interesting, fshagan. I would call that behavior a feature rather than a bug, quite Frankly!

Let's make/find/mcguyver a thing that would allow us to introduce (or remove!) arbitrary delay in the captions vs the source-audio.

I find that the captions are rendered way too early in most setups which ruins the timing of the source audio material . Also I can't find an opacity/font-color setup that I like 100% of the time.

We may need an entire new forum just for captions, or at least one thread here for captioning freaks, and another for captioning haters, and another for people to argue whether captioning works better if you use monster HDMI cables.

So anyway, speaking of captions, who else used to like it when the captions appeared in the letterboxed-area outside the widescreen image- it almost makes me miss 4:3 massive letterboxing of widescreen films. Tradeoffs!
ncted likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 681 Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
That is super-interesting, fshagan. I would call that behavior a feature rather than a bug, quite Frankly!

No, definitely not a feature . I timed the delay; it's two to three seconds. It's like watching one of those old Japanese monster movies dubbed into English.

I would like it to work like it does on every streamed program on Prime, Philo or PlutoTV.
post #663 of 681 Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
No, definitely not a feature . I timed the delay; it's two to three seconds. It's like watching one of those old Japanese monster movies dubbed into English.

I would like it to work like it does on every streamed program on Prime, Philo or PlutoTV.

I find subtitles/captions timing to be very inconsistent from app to app. I do prefer the caption to show up after the audio though. I haven't noticed the Recast delay being particularly long so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 681 Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are there different hardware versions of Recast?

Hi,

From a hardware perspective are there slightly different hardware versions of the Recast?

I am contemplating buying one. They have inventory at my local Best Buy but I am wondering if I would get a newer version of the hardware design if I purchased it directly from Amazon.

Thoughts?
post #665 of 681 Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post
From a hardware perspective are there slightly different hardware versions of the Recast?
Since there hasn't been any additional FCC sightings for the Recast I'd have to presume there is one version...

And in theory Best Buy's could be newer stock... no way of knowing.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #666 of 681 Old 11-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Since there hasn't been any additional FCC sightings for the Recast I'd have to presume there is one version...

And in theory Best Buy's could be newer stock... no way of knowing.
Excellent point. I have no way to tell.

Related I was just informed that Recast only sends in 720p. Is there any way around this so that a 1080i broadcast can be viewed in 1080i?
post #667 of 681 Old 11-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post
Is there any way around this so that a 1080i broadcast can be viewed in 1080i?
Nope. That and the lack of commercial AutoSkip makes me want to keep my TiVo ($199 with Lifetime). I have a 4 tuner model unopened that I'm trying to convince myself to try. I rejected the Recast in the past over the image however all of my locals are now so low quality via subchannels that I'm almost past the point of caring.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #668 of 681 Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Nope. That and the lack of commercial AutoSkip makes me want to keep my TiVo ($199 with Lifetime). I have a 4 tuner model unopened that I'm trying to convince myself to try. I rejected the Recast in the past over the image however all of my locals are now so low quality via subchannels that I'm almost past the point of caring.

I couldn't tell the difference between the Recast streams at 720p and the DVR+ 1080 stream on my .1 network channels that broadcast in 1080. I even turned on a sportsball game (the one with the ball shaped like a turd) and couldn't tell the difference when switching between inputs.

I was looking for things like jagged lines on uniforms where they change color, artifacts, motion blur, etc. I'm not a videophile though, and my 55" Samsung TV is several years old. So my experience might not be the same as someone who cares about the PQ so much they buy Monster brand HDMI cables (which a friend tells me are absolutely worth the $$$).
post #669 of 681 Old 11-30-2019, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Recast related: Just upgraded to the Amazon Eeros Wifi mesh system, all Recast buffering disappeared overnight. I would get the "..." buffering indicator once every few minutes. Not a one since installing the Eeeros.
tveli likes this.
post #670 of 681 Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
^^^
Also related: I was routinely getting the message about recordings being low quality due to a weak TV signal. Even though I know the signal is good and picture was fine.
So I ran a Cat6 cable to the Recast and took it off wifi. Not a single "low quality" message since.
post #671 of 681 Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Recast has been on gigabit ethernet since day 1, but I still get weak signal messages. Always on stations with signal issues (thanks, Repack), and sometimes on stations with good signal. The error detection on the Recast is overly sensitive.
post #672 of 681 Old 12-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
The error detection on the Recast is overly sensitive.

I'll second this - gigabit ethernet, rooftop antennas (so can't easily move them) no problem with reception and I still get low signal/move your antenna messages . It's especially annoying when I'm watching something live and the low signal message is coming on every 30 seconds or so. At least in recordings there is only a message at the beginning. For heaven's sake, if there's low signal strength I'll know it from the picture - I don't need to be told incessantly.
tveli and ncted like this.
post #673 of 681 Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Does the Recast clip recordings? If I schedule a minute before and two minutes after (scheduled time) if I schedule four recordings (with 4 tuners of course) will it clip the extra time so it will record all four? Such as back to back recordings on four channels.

Last edited by Charles R; 12-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #674 of 681 Old 12-03-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Tivo/rovio should DIE DIE DIE a horrible painful death, and hopefully cox is going to put them out of business for good! *&^(%*^^ patent trolls!
I hope that all those who got extorted for licensing fees sue rovio for repayment and bankrupt that despicable company.
If I didn't know better, I would of thought I posted that! By hook or by crook they acquired most all the DVR related patents putting almost everyone else out of business.

And think, there is at least 'individual' here that made the statement years ago about TiVo; "it just works". Yea, right.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #675 of 681 Old 12-04-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I’m not sure if others have had success upgrading the internal hard drive, but I did it yesterday and wanted to say it is possible. I used a ST5000LM000 5TB pulled from a Seagate Backup Plus Portable. Using a CD to boot my pc into a GParted interface, it was possible to format the new drive with a GPT table and single Primary partition in EXT4. There are no files to copy from the old drive. Just drop the new one in after setting it up with GParted and it works. It now shows 4.91TB of storage.
rdgrimes, mdavej and calculon68 like this.
post #676 of 681 Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentor View Post
I’m not sure if others have had success upgrading the internal hard drive, but I did it yesterday and wanted to say it is possible. I used a ST5000LM000 5TB pulled from a Seagate Backup Plus Portable. Using a CD to boot my pc into a GParted interface, it was possible to format the new drive with a GPT table and single Primary partition in EXT4. There are no files to copy from the old drive. Just drop the new one in after setting it up with GParted and it works. It now shows 4.91TB of storage.
Was the new HDD connected to the PC, then you installed it into the Recast? What is inside the Recast? Is it some sort of cool running drive, 5400rpm, or what?
post #677 of 681 Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Was the new HDD connected to the PC, then you installed it into the Recast? What is inside the Recast? Is it some sort of cool running drive, 5400rpm, or what?
It was connected using an adapter that converted it to USB. From there, it showed up in GParted and was able to be wiped, set up with GPT, and partitioned into one primary EXT4 partition. No system files are on the drive to my knowledge. Just partition the new drive as described and put it in the Recast. The drive that ships in the Recast is a 1TB 5400rpm drive optimized for DVR use. The 5TB drive I used is not marketed as being optimized for a DVR, but it has a much larger cache that should more than compensate for any lag. I have done several test recordings and find it to be quiet with flawless performance.
post #678 of 681 Old 12-04-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It was connected using an adapter that converted it to USB. From there, it showed up in GParted and was able to be wiped, set up with GPT, and partitioned into one primary EXT4 partition. No system files are on the drive to my knowledge. Just partition the new drive as described and put it in the Recast. The drive that ships in the Recast is a 1TB 5400rpm drive optimized for DVR use. The 5TB drive I used is not marketed as being optimized for a DVR, but it has a much larger cache that should more than compensate for any lag. I have done several test recordings and find it to be quiet with flawless performance.
Sorry, I forgot to answer part of your question. It was connected to a pc for formatting with GParted. That is what the USB adapter was for. Inside the Recast box, it connects much like a drive inside a pc.
post #679 of 681 Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My understanding is that AV Drives like the one that comes in the Recast don't do as much error correction as that Barracuda you're using, which may reduce the need for the additional cache. That said, we've had a lot of those 5TB models fail in enterprise servers. We don't actually order them any more. If you want more than 2TB in a 2.5" HDD in our data center, you have to go SSD. I'll be curious to hear how well it does in a DVR. At least it sounds relatively easy to replace the internal drive if it fails.
post #680 of 681 Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got a message on one of my firesticks that my Recast had filled up its hard drive and would start deleting the oldest unprotected programs last night. However, when I went to check the storage usage, none of my firesticks could communicate with the Recast. It was recording the nightly news programs for my wife at the time, so I had to wait until it was done to reboot it. After reboot, it was again communicating and indeed showed the disk as almost full. It did not appear to have deleted anything I cared about.

I had a nice 1TB USB 3.0 drive I could use for storage, so I plugged that in and told the Recast to format it when prompted. After that was done, I checked the space and it showed a total of 1.9TB with ~900GB available, so all seemed well. Then, later, when my wife wanted to watch the news, she noticed that the NBC Nightly News recordings were all gone, including the most recent. After checking, there were several other shows that were completely gone, and now the storage usage was only ~600GB, with 1.3TB available. It seems that the Recast arbitrarily decided to delete ~300GB of shows. The more I use this thing, the buggier it seems. It is a good thing I have YouTubeTV, and it looks like I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future.
post #681 of 681 Old 12-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I got a message on one of my firesticks that my Recast had filled up its hard drive and would start deleting the oldest unprotected programs last night.
Then, later, when my wife wanted to watch the news, she noticed that the NBC Nightly News recordings were all gone, including the most recent. After checking, there were several other shows that were completely gone, and now the storage usage was only ~600GB, with 1.3TB available. It seems that the Recast arbitrarily decided to delete ~300GB of shows.
Yes, it is very brutal and unforgiving about this. I lost one show but it is was one I had not watched and wanted to. For news shows, your wife can watch it on the network app or web site. For that show I lost, I just left the recording request up and, sure enough, it was repeated a week or so later (it was PBS). Even commercial networks will repeat things. Maybe not a week later, might not be until the winter/holiday programing pause (now to Feb.) or sometime in 2020, but they usually do.
I also now lock any recorded show I want to keep but won't watch for days, week, or months.
I also got very serious about that list that shows priority. If the Recast does delete a show, I want it to be that cooking show I never have time to watch, runs in repeats all the time, and that I can live without. Not the PBS show on cutting edge medical breakthroughs or that series I like to watch.
Go to Amazon Alexa app or web site and choose feedback and complain the way it works now is not really the best approach. Recast needs to warn sooner, better, and show a visual graph of drive space left people can “see”. Maybe also add in a text warning sent to our phones.

While you are there, also complain (separately) about the dumb Recast bad signal pop up warnings too. Crazy they have not removed that or let the user set it on or off. If the signal is actually bad, users can see that it is because the picture is bad. The warning is for newbys or, maybe perfectionists, I guess… and annoyingly comes up even on a perfectly fine recordings or live watched broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page