Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #121 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 56
@ JHBrandt

I was hoping that the Recast "might" boost or clear up the signals. If know it wont add something that's not there.

Channels 6, 14, 51 all have there issues.
WYBN 14 is better than it has been in the past. I'd give it 80-85% signal. (clear up)

WNYA 51 is spotty at times. I have some interference because of neighbors. When it comes in it comes it good. (boost)

WRGB 6 is a complete mess. It was spotty 90% of the time. The last time I tried a rescan, I lost the channel. (clear up / boost after repack)

As for relocating my antenna, that's not an option at this time. Hopefully the repack can resolve some issues.
I'm intrigued by the Recast, but I want to know of possible issues, improvements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thumbs down Just don't see it this way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
Strange, my aunt is receiving a $50 credit, but she had to bitch to get it. . Sometimes just blowing some steam, and getting your point across sorts everything out.

I've read through these, and politely, I just don't see how any one thinks amazon owes them this at a different price...

You purchased product on x at y price... so company a decides to have a sale after you purchased it, and you want the sale price or price now???????? I don't know of any one who does that in the real world...

I purchased tons of stuff only to see it go on sale the next week or day at cheaper price and sometimes at even significant discount... oh well tough luck for me!

You all purchased a preorder, to get the device by or shortly after the official release date of 11.14. amazon decided to offer some sort of deal(s) after release to goose sales of a product not up to snuff... And any one could see that come BF week, or month now, that this thing would be on some sort of a promotion.... you signed up to get it early/first... so you paid full price...

I just don't agree or see how you all think that you should get a refund on this...

Make me mad? Sure. Been there done it... plenty of times long before amazon even existed or online ordering even... Thats how this works.... price x on date y...

I am just not following how a promotion after you purchased the product is some how applicable to you.... Infuriating to say the least...sure... but again, plenty of stuff purchased on Sat, and sun it goes on sale... oh well too bad for me!

And as for returning it... YES, 100% this will affect you on amazon, and other actual stores... Go to return stuff today in most stores they want your DL. Why? They store that and there is a 3rd party that will determine if you can return stuff... Return stuff too much, and they cut you off! Target uses this system due to the abuses, much like this thread. Could be you returned too much to Kohls, and then go to Target.. BZT. No go...

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #123 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 385
DVR (any DVR) records programs and allows you to play it back. Thats all they do. They dont include sophisticated video processors. At best they will allow playback without degrading picture quality. In the case of the Recast, I would estimate that 720P channels are pretty much same quality but 1080i are degraded since the recast interlaces and then downscales to 720P.

As far as it improving reception, not directly. If you use an outdoor antenna (you should) no change. If you use an indoor antenna, it allows you to potentially move antenna to a better location in the house for better reception.
tveli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Well I kinda get the setup.

Will the Recast copy my current OTA signal, degrade it, improve it? Does it have any type of amplifier built into it?

If the Recast just copies the current OTA signal received, then I will wait on it. I would like to wait until the OTA channel changes (improvements) are complete.
Hopefully most of the bugs/kinks of the Recast will be ironed out by then.
From your other messages you have some reception challenges. If you go to tvfool.com and run a report based on your address, it will tell you the stations you can expect to receive with an indoor, attic or outdoor antenna. You can share the "share link" here and we can make recommendations based on that report.

If you have a weak signal then any of these devices can degrade it. I have three devices that are in this class of product, a Channel Master DVR+, a Channel Master Stream+ and a HD Homerun Duo (which is most like the Recast, being a network streamer). While all three split the signal to two tuners, the tuners on the devices differ. The DVR+ has the best of the three, with the Stream+ a close second (both recognize the same channels on a scan, but the Stream+ has more trouble with the weakest signals). The HD Homerun doesn't even come close to those two, not being able to tune in the three weakest stations. All three use what we would call a "distribution amplifier" to boost the signal before splitting it to the two tuners, and in most cases that makes using a two tuner DVR the same as connecting the coax directly to the TV.

If your signals are strong enough, you won't notice any difference going through any of these units. If you have a weak signal on a station then the tuners do matter, no matter what the "fan boys" try to tell you. I'm 65 miles from the towers, with two ridges between me (called "2 Edge" on the tvfool report), with signal strength as low as -78db on the stations I can bring in. I can't bring in stations that are -80db; they are just too weak. The ones that are at -74 to -78db are the ones the HD Homerun has trouble with. You location and your situation will vary, so the only thing you can do is try the units and see how well they work for you.

I'm keeping an eye on the Recast. It could be a good replacement for my DVR+ when it eventually dies. I would first try the 4 tuner version, and have it located very close to the antenna in the attic, and see if I could feed my two TVs with it. But it may be that the 4 tuner version can't overcome the losses (each time you split the signal you get 50%, so the four tuners would each be receiving 25% of the signal strength). I would make sure Amazon would accept the return of the unit if it didn't work.
post #125 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post

You all purchased a preorder, to get the device by or shortly after the official release date of 11.14. amazon decided to offer some sort of deal(s) after release to goose sales of a product not up to snuff... And any one could see that come BF week, or month now, that this thing would be on some sort of a promotion.... you signed up to get it early/first... so you paid full price...
I respectfully disagree. I ordered on the Wednesday at full price. Less than 12 hours later it was announced that the dvr would be reduced by $50. The dvr was still in shipping, I had received nothing, yet they refused to price change.

Also, I'm paying $100+ for "Prime" membership, that I dont pay at Targets or Kohls. I think a common-sense price match wasnt too much to ask. It's not as if I used the item, and then wanted to return it.

As for the dvr not being "up to snuff", not sure where youre getting that from. Ive yet to read a negative review from The Verge etc.
dlflannery likes this.
post #126 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I am having difficulty with voice going out of sync with video on a regular basis.
I am using a FTV4KS along with Recast. This happens mostly on OTA channels but sometimes also on PlayStation Vue.
If I change channels it goes back into sync, but it’s a real PITA.
Anyone having same issue?
Any recommended fixes?
I already tried what Amazon recommends to no avail.

Thanks,
Len
post #127 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 02:25 PM

I am having difficulty with voice going out of sync with video on a regular basis.
I am using a FTV4KS along with Recast. This happens mostly on OTA channels but sometimes also on PlayStation Vue.
Any recommended fixes?

Thanks,
Len
post #128 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 431
My Display, Vizio P65, does not have a tuner so I have been without TV since I purchased it. I get along ok with Fire TV and Kodi but I kinda hate going through Kodi trying to watch Live TV if needed. I do have a smaller setup with an Antenna for OTA but again, OTA kinda sux so I typically don't bother.

I was excited about this product because it would solve some WAF issues that I currently have. Like, no OTA channels to watch her favorite shows such as Scandal. The issue here is, it only 720p...At least, that is the percieved issue.

For those that do have it, how is 720p working out for you? We watch typically on either a 65" TV display or 120" projector display. Let me know.

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, this product seems quick very similar and it is an "Amazon Choice"...

https://www.amazon.com/Tablo-4-Tuner...ct_top?ie=UTF8

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #129 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post

For those that do have it, how is 720p working out for you? We watch typically on either a 65" TV display or 120" projector display. Let me know.
I'd be hard pressed to say its as good as a decent 720p, looks more like 480. But its clean with no egregious artifacts. You won't get the seamless integration into the FTV UI with anything else, so for me its pointless to stress out over the loss of PQ. Its only broadcast TV after all. Its watchable, whatever it is.
post #130 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
My Display, Vizio P65, does not have a tuner so I have been without TV since I purchased it. I get along ok with Fire TV and Kodi but I kinda hate going through Kodi trying to watch Live TV if needed. I do have a smaller setup with an Antenna for OTA but again, OTA kinda sux so I typically don't bother.

I was excited about this product because it would solve some WAF issues that I currently have. Like, no OTA channels to watch her favorite shows such as Scandal. The issue here is, it only 720p...At least, that is the percieved issue.

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, this product seems quick very similar and it is an "Amazon Choice"...

https://www.amazon.com/Tablo-4-Tuner...ct_top?ie=UTF8
The Recast is far from the first network attached DVR device. There is Tablo, HDHomeRun, AirTV, to name a few. If you want to do OTA DVR you need to do some research. There are many options each with its ups and downs. Many need an external drive and also a DVR subscription. They are not tied to the Amazon FireTV as a client and some can store and pass video unaltered. Amazon makes it easy with the integration all done and no subscription.
post #131 of 742 Old 11-20-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
I was hoping that the Recast "might" boost or clear up the signals. If know it wont add something that's not there.
It might help a tiny bit, because boxes with more than one tuner often have a built-in preamp, to avoid losing sensitivity from splitting the signal among multiple tuners. But I don't know for sure that the Recast does, I don't know how good it might be, and I don't even know if that's what you need yet!
Quote:
Channels 6, 14, 51 all have their issues.
WYBN 14 is better than it has been in the past. I'd give it 80-85% signal. (clear up)

WNYA 51 is spotty at times. I have some interference because of neighbors. When it comes in it comes it good. (boost)

WRGB 6 is a complete mess. It was spotty 90% of the time. The last time I tried a rescan, I lost the channel. (clear up / boost after repack)
OK, so, you're in the Albany market. According to rabbitears.info, WYBN is UHF (it really is on RF channel 14; not moving in the repack); WNYA is VHF-Hi (currently RF 13, moving to RF 7 in the repack), and WRGB is VHF-Lo (really on RF 6; not moving). VHF-Lo is usually the most challenging band to receive, due both to interference and to the need for a larger antenna.

Note that if your problem is interference, boosting the signal won't help! It'll boost the interference as well as the signal. To get better reception you need to improve the signal/noise ratio.
Quote:
As for relocating my antenna, that's not an option at this time.
What kind of antenna do you have?
post #132 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
What kind of antenna do you have?
ClearStream 2V Complete UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna

Would an antenna upgrade make any difference? Perhaps something like this: ClearStream 4MAX UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna

WYBN just needs a slight tweak.
WRGB could get better when some of the other channels move.
WNYA Comes in, but some days it's finicky.
post #133 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
In the case of the Recast, I would estimate that 720P channels are pretty much same quality but 1080i are degraded since the recast interlaces and then downscales to 720P.
Just asking for speculation: Would someone with 1080i TVs get better picture quality with one of Tivo's OTA boxes for this reason?
post #134 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Any recommended fixes?

Thanks,
Len
On the Amazon forum they say it is a known issue. Amazon says they are working on sync and will issue an update. No date given though 🙁
post #135 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post
Just asking for speculation: Would someone with 1080i TVs get better picture quality with one of Tivo's OTA boxes for this reason?
It's hard to be objective since we don't have tools to measure PQ. But here's my opinion. A channel gets 6MHz. It can split/multiplex it to add sub-channels. More sub-channels usually means less quality. At one time my CBS and NBC had no sub-channels and they were amazing at 18Mbps bit-rate. But over time they have added four sub-channels each and are down to 11Mbps.

Your CBS channel, WCAV has two subchannels. Sadly one is 720p. You can view its information at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCAV and see its history. Just on 10/1 it added ION.

If a station starts out with great quality it can survive some of the damage caused by sub-channels. But you'll have to test it, usually with your eyes.
post #136 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not an expert on the Tivo OTA DVR, but they are a great option. Tivo is directly connected to TV via HDMI, not a network streamer such as the Recast. A Tivo OTA will give you similar experience as a cable box DVR or Tivo cable DVR. It has great usability and advanced commercial skipping features.

TVs are not 1080i, but 1080P or now 2160P (4k). I believe that Tivo has output options including native. This would send the output in its original resolution where your TV would do the upscaling to the display resolution.
post #137 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003 View Post
On the Amazon forum they say it is a known issue. Amazon says they are working on sync and will issue an update. No date given though 🙁
What Amazon forum are you referring to?
Thanks for the info 😊
Len
post #138 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
What Amazon forum are you referring to?
Thanks for the info 😊
Len
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/fire-tv
post #139 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Any recommended fixes?

Thanks,
Len
Don't see how this issue, if occuring on PS Vue channels, can be a Recast problem.

I see your post on this in the Amazon Fire TV forum, currently with no replies. I can't find where Amazon said it was a known issue, etc., as posted by @hdfatboy2003 here.

Last edited by dlflannery; 11-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.
post #140 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 AM

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...le-audio-delay

Second post down in thread ... I normally change channels to get it back in sync
post #141 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Is the Recast really limited to 720p?
Squirrel! likes this.
post #142 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:

Would an antenna upgrade make any difference? Perhaps something like this: ClearStream 4MAX UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna

The big problem for those antennas will be channel 6 (WRGB). The VHF elements on ClearStream antennas are designed for VHF-Hi (RF channels 7 and up) and don't work well at RF 2-6. That's probably why WRGB is your worst channel.

An antenna upgrade might help, but before you spend any money, it would help to see your TVFool.com report. If you wouldn't mind, go to https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29, enter your address (you can enter your antenna height in feet too, if you know it; that will make the report more accurate) and click "Find Local Channels." You'll get a report with a "radar plot" and a list of local stations. Post the URL of that page here. (That way we can see your report without knowing your address.)
Quote:
IMO yes. But be aware that TiVos are wired up differently than the Recast is.

The Recast works with Fire TV boxes: you put the Recast near your antenna, the Fire TV at your TV, and interconnect the two with your home network (which could be WiFi).

With TiVo, everything is in one box, so you have to put the TiVo near your TV. If your antenna is elsewhere, you'll need to run coax from the antenna to the TiVo.

For multiple TVs, you'd need another TiVo for each additional TV. TiVo used to sell cheaper "Minis" for that purpose; I think they still do but I don't keep up with them so I'm not sure.

If you already have coax running from a common antenna to each TV, installing TiVos should be easy. Otherwise, you'll probably need to run some coax.
post #143 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
I've read through these, and politely, I just don't see how any one thinks amazon owes them this at a different price...

You purchased product on x at y price... so company a decides to have a sale after you purchased it, and you want the sale price or price now???????? I don't know of any one who does that in the real world...

I purchased tons of stuff only to see it go on sale the next week or day at cheaper price and sometimes at even significant discount... oh well tough luck for me!

I just don't agree or see how you all think that you should get a refund on this...

Make me mad? Sure. Been there done it... plenty of times long before amazon even existed or online ordering even... Thats how this works.... price x on date y...

I am just not following how a promotion after you purchased the product is some how applicable to you.... Infuriating to say the least...sure... but again, plenty of stuff purchased on Sat, and sun it goes on sale... oh well too bad for me!

And as for returning it... YES, 100% this will affect you on amazon, and other actual stores... Go to return stuff today in most stores they want your DL. Why? They store that and there is a 3rd party that will determine if you can return stuff... Return stuff too much, and they cut you off! Target uses this system due to the abuses, much like this thread. Could be you returned too much to Kohls, and then go to Target.. BZT. No go...
Amazon.com official policy for "price guarantee" is, if you purchase an item from Amazon where they are the seller, and they lower the advertised price, if it is less than 7 days since you received the item, they will offer the difference in credit".

After my Aunt called and they offered her the $50 in credit, she did notice they had a;ready sent an email automatically credited her account, (it went to junk mail and would not have had to call to have received after all).

The policy has a lot of loopholes when reading it. Non Prime members pricing vs Prime members pricing is not eligible.
Items sold by Amazon.com but fulfilled by member distributors are non eligible. Close out items are not eligible. Etc, etc.

Amazon themselves realized they had an issue, and automatically credited customers who pre-ordered Recast, or, purchased 4K Firestick the week before the Sale.
post #144 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do all you stations come from same direction? If so, get a directional antenna and point it at the towers. I got this antenna and it works really well for UHF and VHF and its cheap.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ANT751-Ou...ption/10828410

Last edited by sjm817; 11-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #145 of 742 Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 PM

Took delivery of the 4 tuner version tonight. I'm very happy with it. Setup was quick and easy and all my FireTvs displayed a DVR tab when setup was complete. I then went through these scenarios, note that we live in a rural part of the county surrounded by large trees.

1. Setup using one of those antennas that look like a plate mat - flat square - that you prop in the window. I got 17 channels, but weak NBC.

2. Setup using a cheap $30 directional outside antenna propped up in a bedroom. I got 30 channels, but still weak NBC.

3. Setup using the same directional outside antenna but this time moved the dvr to the garage so that I could let the antenna sit outside (casually leaning against garage door at ground level). I got 52 channels !!! With all of the main ones nice and strong. Very happy with the reception as we live away from town.

Over the weekend I want to use a camera tripod to mount the antenna, so I can move it around.

Best feature so far - ability to move the dvr AND antenna to anyplace I like without running antenna cable.

Worst feature so far - you have to record a minimum of 5 recordings in a series. On Comcast, I can go as low as 2 recordings, which is better for me. Perhaps I can only keep 2 shows via a setting, but having not looked at everything yet, Im not sure.

Picture looks GREAT to me on my 55" Samsung.

Anyways, after graduating from the Stream+, 10/10
Squirrel! likes this.
post #146 of 742 Old 11-22-2018, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Well I kinda get the setup.

Will the Recast copy my current OTA signal, degrade it, improve it? Does it have any type of amplifier built into it?

If the Recast just copies the current OTA signal received, then I will wait on it. I would like to wait until the OTA channel changes (improvements) are complete.
Hopefully most of the bugs/kinks of the Recast will be ironed out by then.
It all boils down to this...to watch OTA TV once your antenna is connected to the recast, you use your fire tv device. To stream netflix or amazon prime, you use your fire tv device. You are essentially eliminating the tv tuner, making the tv a monitor only. The signal quality replicates on the fire tv device, whatever the recast is receiving.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #147 of 742 Old 11-22-2018, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Is the Recast really limited to 720p?
Dealbreaker for me if true...

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #148 of 742 Old 11-22-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

TVs are not 1080i, but 1080P or now 2160P (4k).
Ahhh, you forget the old CRT sets & projectors ARE 1080i, and quite a few are still kicking strong in use today. People still use old 480i square tube sets today.
rcman2 likes this.

post #149 of 742 Old 11-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The big problem for those antennas will be channel 6 (WRGB). The VHF elements on ClearStream antennas are designed
for VHF-Hi (RF channels 7 and up) and don't work well at RF 2-6. That's probably why WRGB is your worst channel.
For quite a while channel 6 (WRGB) worked decent. But over time it gradually gotten worse, then eventually poof. IMO the commercials came in better than the programming.

Quote:
An antenna upgrade might help, but before you spend any money, it would help to see your TVFool.com report.
TVFool --> http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90385342768ba8

Quote:
The Recast works with Fire TV boxes: you put the Recast near your antenna, the Fire TV at your TV, and interconnect the two with your home network (which could be WiFi)
With my setup the antenna is less than 10 ft from the tv, The thrills of living in an apartment. I'm limited to one room for my antenna. It has 3 windows [ ] [ ] [ ] with 5ft H x 15ft W of directional space.
My Fire TV is wired to my Cable internet. I only need to connect one tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Took delivery of the 4 tuner version tonight. I'm very happy with it. Setup was quick and easy and all my FireTvs
displayed a DVR tab when setup was complete.

Worst feature so far - you have to record a minimum of 5 recordings in a series. On Comcast, I can go as low as 2 recordings, which is
better for me. Perhaps I can only keep 2 shows via a setting, but having not looked at everything yet, Im not sure.
Can you record 4 shows at once and watch another?
Is it the old record 3 shows while watching the forth or record 4 but must watch one of the 4?

Does it allow you to delete series shows one at a time?
post #150 of 742 Old 11-22-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Can you record 4 shows at once and watch another?
Is it the old record 3 shows while watching the forth or record 4 but must watch one of the 4?

Does it allow you to delete series shows one at a time?
Yes, I had a series recording set for Survivor and could delete last night's episode.

No, I could record 4 channels, but on changing to a 5th channel, was prompted to stop recording one of the 4 channels being recorded.

On another note, it appears to have recorded a whole bunch of late night shows I requested with zero issues. It's very slick and features many of the features I like from my Comcast X1 DVR - voice prompts, delete oldest etc. I had the Stream+ and its worst feature was that you had to manually delete show. It was like a second job constantly monitoring disk space.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page