Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 159Likes

post #1 of 532 Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Amazon RECAST OTA DVR formerly known as "Frank"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...allenging-tivo

Bloomberg reports of upcoming Amazon Live TV DVR with connections to Fire TV for streaming to phones tablets.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by merman9393; 09-20-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 532 Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Challenging TiVo, or Tablo?

Why wouldn't Amazon simply buy Nuyvvo?

It's introducing cloud storage in beta to eliminate the need/cost of local storage, likely contracting with Amazon Cloud, unless microsoft or google bid lower.

Tablo grabs the OTA content Amazon can't get easily. It needs services, which Amazon could bundle with Prime Video, and then track, like TiVo does, but Amazon sells directly based on customer data, while TiVo rents your data.

Nuyvvo is Canadian, discards from Nortel so they are a bit more globally focused, and not focused on rent seeking like TiVo by nature. TiVo is fighting Comcast which is fighting TiVo rent seeking.
post #3 of 532 Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

My understanding, is that "Frank" will include local Storage for the OTA broadcast recordings, and some type of de-interlacing hardware.

AFAIK, no devices currently use Cloud storage for individually captured OTA MPEG 2 broadcasts. Services like Sling TV, and DTVN, have capture, encoding, and server hardware in COLA's in each Designated Local Area that they serve, to provide Live feeds, and DVR features for customers.

TiVo beta tested Mavrik, an OTA Cloud DVR device last year, but bandwidth and error issues resulted in it being scrapped. They are re-applying those ideas to a new system for Cable companies, and content Distributers where data bandwidth limitations are not a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 532 Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulp View Post
Why wouldn't Amazon simply buy Nuyvvo? It's introducing cloud storage in beta to eliminate the need/cost of local storage, likely contracting with Amazon Cloud....
A 1 TB USB HDD costs $50 or less. Sling's cloud DVR is $5/mo. If that price is typical, the payback for local storage is less than a year.

Plus, the user has less control with cloud DVR storage. The service provider can limit how long you can keep recordings and/or charge more for more space - and there's no way you'll be downloading or editing those cloud-based recordings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
My understanding, is that "Frank" will include local Storage for the OTA broadcast recordings....
Seems like that makes the most sense. Many folks get their Internet service via cable. Cable download speeds are usually awesome but upload speeds are much lower. I suppose you could transcode to h.264 and/or reduce the resolution to maybe 720p on the fly, but that raises the hardware cost.
post #5 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I think this is the device:

Fire TV Recast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Fire TV Recast is a DVR that lets you watch and record over-the-air TV at home or on-the-go with a Fire TV, Echo Show, or compatible mobile device—with no monthly fees.

Watch and record live sports, local news, late night shows, and other can’t miss TV from channels available through an HD antenna like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, and The CW.

Record up to 2 shows at once, with enough storage for up to 75 hours of HD programming.

With a compatible Alexa-enabled device, you can use your voice to search for shows, manage and schedule recordings, and help with other requests. Say things like “Alexa, open Channel Guide" or “Alexa, record ‘Riverdale.’”

Fire TV Recast delivers the most reliable video streams over Wi-Fi of any over-the-air DVR.

We want you to know:
To use Fire TV Recast to watch and record over-the-air TV, you’ll need the following (sold separately):
  1. An HD antenna - specific channel availablity and reception varies by location
  2. A Fire TV streaming media player or Echo Show
  3. Access to the free Fire TV app on a Fire tablet (5th Gen or above), or an iOS 10 (or above) or Android 4.4 (or above) mobile device.
No word on the DVR functions or channel guide listing (in detail). It does use local storage and not cloud storage for the DVR.
post #6 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

I snagged some images from the brief video on the Amazon site:

The Home Screen apps look like the Fire TV interface, as expected, which looks remarkably like the Android TV interface. Image below. Does anyone know if it's the same code? The Fire Tablets use a forked version of Android so I suspect they are using Android TV as well.

The guide they show is pretty uninspiring. I'm not sure you'll be able to see shows from 8 to 10 ... it looks like 10 is right at the right margin when you are viewing the guide and looking at 8, so there may be horizontal scrolling needed to see what's on at 10. It looks like there are five rows in the grid, a problem I have on other devices requiring multiple page downs to see what's on that I might want to record. I hope there's a "condensed grid" option to show more channels at a time, and get the full three hours of prime time shown (from 8 through 10).

The "DVR | My Recordings" page is not too inspiring either; in the screen shot you can only see four recorded series or shows. Maybe there's also a grid listing where you can see 10 to 15 like "old" dvrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recast-home-page-apps.png
Views:	93
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	2457862   Click image for larger version

Name:	recast-guide-data.png
Views:	90
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	2457864   Click image for larger version

Name:	recast-dvr-recorded.png
Views:	88
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	2457866  
post #7 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

List of FAQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...F-355E10A3E6E9

Can not add additional storage.
Can not transfer, back up recordings.
arbegas likes this.
post #8 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm ... if it works on Android mobile devices, it would presumably work on Android TV devices too, wouldn't it?
post #9 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Hmm ... if it works on Android mobile devices, it would presumably work on Android TV devices too, wouldn't it?
It also works on IOS, but not TVOS. Not yet in Apple App Store.

With the beef between Amazon and Google I was surprised it has an Android app.
post #10 of 532 Old 09-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Here are a few articles on it:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/20/am...m-it-anywhere/ (negatives: can't record "all new" programs)

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fir...ilable-nov-14/ (no real news about capabilities other than the press release stuff)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/1...-android-price (most interesting sentence: "Fire TV Recast can be integrated into the channel guide, so you could watch with Prime Video and even PlayStation Vue." - not sure what that means, really).

First hand's on article I've seen: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/1...s-features-dvr
  • Says it does stream to a Playstation Vue
  • Otherwise, only works on Fire devices, not on your computer browser
  • Guide data is in the DVR app on the Fire device, which he posits is "silly"

It's interesting, but I think it does less than a HD Homerun with similar features. But you pay $35 a year for the HD HR DVR.
post #11 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thumbs down What is it with Amazon, always some way to blow it!

Quote:
List of FAQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...F-355E10A3E6E9

Can not add additional storage.
Can not transfer, back up recordings.
Think that pretty much nails the coffin shut!

So unless this is fixed in release or hackable, then its done.

Plus confirmation that this thing has NO MICROPHONES in it!

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #12 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
From: https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...st-1202950941/

"The company also has plans to extend storage of both devices with the option to connect an external hard drive, but this feature won’t be available at launch."

post #13 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The more I learn, the more the Recast sounds like the AirTV "black box." Their capabilities are strikingly similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/20/am...m-it-anywhere/ (negatives: can't record "all new" programs)
Advantage to the AirTV on that one. AirTV can record all "new" programs.
Quote:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/1...-android-price (most interesting sentence: "Fire TV Recast can be integrated into the channel guide, so you could watch with Prime Video and even PlayStation Vue." - not sure what that means, really).
"Can" be? I would expect it to be! But I think what they meant is that when you use the Prime Video app, you get the Recast's channel guide and your recordings too, so you can access either from within that one app. Again, that's similar to the AirTV, which uses the Sling app (with or without a Sling TV subscription) to access your OTA channels and recordings.
Quote:
First hands-on article I've seen: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/1...s-features-dvr

• Says it does stream to a Playstation Vue
  • Otherwise, only works on Fire devices, not on your computer browser
  • Guide data is in the DVR app on the Fire device, which he posits is "silly"

It's interesting, but I think it does less than a HD Homerun with similar features. But you pay $35 a year for the HD HR DVR.
The HDHR DVR also lets you use an Android device, such as a Stream+, for storage as well as just streaming; and it's the only one to support off-loading recordings.

Another important consideration is which TV streaming devices these three DVR solutions support. After all, most folks won't be starting from scratch when they buy one of these boxes; they'll want to choose the box that works with what they already have.

Supporting the PS Vue is an advantage for the Recast; OTOH, only AirTV has promised Roku support. But I don't understand why none of these solutions supports a PC Web browser. Sling itself can be used from Google's Chrome browser, so it's evidently not a piracy concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
Quote:
  • Can not add additional storage.
  • Can not transfer, back up recordings.
Again, AirTV has the same limitation on transferring or backing up recordings. The HDHR DVR is the only realistic option here. The AirTV does use external storage (up to 2 TB) instead of internal, though, so a mirroring enclosure may work around the lack of backup capability. But two 2 TB drives plus an enclosure could easily run $200 or more, erasing the AirTV's price advantage over the Recast. But at least you'd have lots of space and some backup.
Quote:
From my standpoint, that's a good thing: it means you can put it where your TV antenna is, which may not be within earshot! Let the Fire device at your TV do the voice-activated thing if that's a feature you want.
post #14 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:

So unless this is fixed in release or hackable, then its done.

Many of the Fire TV and Alexa devices you use to control it have mics. Amazon has a whole page of voice commands in the FAQ. The Recast device itself is designed to be located near your antenna, not necessarily near your TV. Plus if the mic resided in the Recast, you couldn't do voice from other rooms or a phone/tablet without some serious yelling. So the current mic-less design is good.

Bummer about transfers/backups. But that's rarely stopped us before. Didn't stop us on the Stream+.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.
post #15 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Thumbs down People Just don't learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
"The company also has plans to extend storage of both devices with the option to connect an external hard drive, but this feature won’t be available at launch."

This BS of release a feature poor device, and then "promise feature(s)" is just total BS.

Pay attention amzn, you are already on double quadruple secret probation with me as it is, and Channel Master pulled the same crap with their stupid puck. NO!

EXTERNAL STORAGE be it main storage, or the option to add more, is a REQUIRED DAY ONE FEATURE. Doubt me? I have 40TB to prove my point.

9/10 times the feature(s) never show up.

Me thinks Bloomberg upset the cart, and forced a rush out of a feature minus device.
videobruce likes this.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #16 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Says it does stream to a Playstation Vue
On further reflection, I think we may have misinterpreted that. "Playstation Vue" isn't a box that you can stream to; it's a skinny bundle service like Sling TV. The box is simply a "Playstation," of course.

Let me reread the article and see if I can figure out what they're trying to say.
post #17 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Thumbs down No fires here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Many of the Fire TV and Alexa devices you use to control it have mics
I have NO fire devices. And so if this REQUIRES one, then its DOA. What I read doesn't read that it requires that, and Android device with their application would work, which is what I would use. Require one of those fire things, DOA.

Quote:
. Amazon has a whole page of voice commands in the FAQ
Don't care, I don't talk to my computer. Its quite fine for it to talk to me, preferably in a GI SP0256 w/AL256 voice.

Quote:
. The Recast device itself is designed to be located near your antenna, not necessarily near your TV
I read that, and that is where it would be located, possibly if they fix their misfit product.

Quote:
. Plus if the mic resided in the Recast, you couldn't do voice from other rooms or a phone/tablet without some serious yelling. So the current mic-less design is good.
See above, I have no intention of talking to my computers, now or anytime of the rest of my life. Thanks.

I still don't trust this bunch. No trust, Verify, VERIFY. Some one will need to rip one open to make sure.

Quote:
Bummer about transfers/backups. But that's rarely stopped us before. Didn't stop us on the Stream+.
I will take both those statements with a grain of salt, as the past has proven that what they attempt to lock down will be unlocked by the very locks they use.
BUT if true, the device is useless to me. The whole point of any recording is the ability to scp to where I want to play it. No I don't do online streams to a device. The device will be preloaded or loaded with the files needed. I have the ability to watch what I want where I want on the devices I chose, not that of various groups wishing to restrict or prohibit my choice.

Maybe once cox gets done smacking Tivo/rovio around and invalidating all their patents and other similar trollery some one will introduce something better knowing they won't get sued. The iView box is getting close so our asian copycatters are at least watching the space for options to peruse.

post #18 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On further reflection, I think we may have misinterpreted that. "Playstation Vue" isn't a box that you can stream to; it's a skinny bundle service like Sling TV. The box is simply a "Playstation," of course.

Let me reread the article and see if I can figure out what they're trying to say.
OK, the exact quote was:
Quote:
It’s not a cable box and won’t work with cable if you plug it in. (It does support PlayStation Vue streaming, though.)
So in context, it seems to be suggesting that streamed PS Vue could substitute for cable TV. IOW, I think they're using the PS Vue service the same way the AirTV BB uses the Sling TV service: to fill your OTA lineup in with the "cable" channels you lose when you "cut the cord."

The way it was phrased was probably a bit misleading: PS Vue would be streamed directly from the Internet to the app on your Fire TV (or iOS or Android) device. It wouldn't go "through" the Recast; it's just that the app integrates your Recast OTA channels and PS Vue channels into a single lineup. (The Sling apps do the same thing with the AirTV BB, and Live Channels on the Stream+ does the same thing if you add, say, Pluto TV.) I bet if you pay for PS Vue's cloud DVR, you'll even have a Record option on the PS Vue channels just as with the live ones.
post #19 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There appears to be some confusion with Amazons release info, not surprising. However, an MSNBC media correspondent who was at the private suite for the demo, explained PlayStation Vue is one of their first partners in this endeavor, and that Vue subscribers will have their live channels included in the Recast guide, not duplicated, (not sure what that meant). Recast does not stream recordings to PlayStation devices.

When asked about the USB port, he was told that it was to supply power to Antenna's that needed power to operate. The Recast FAQ specifically say, external drives are not supported.

It's been only a few days since this was officially announced, and these mis cues are common. AirTV continued to confuse features from their black box and AirTV Player Android TV device for several months.

Amazon has not printed any of the "not supported at this time" details on their web site, which was a mistake CM made with the Stream+. As of this evening, the Amazon FAQ still says external drives Not supported, but, things change.
post #20 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

One of the articles I linked indicated you couldn't record "all new" shows, while another says you can; I suspect it is a feature that is "coming". It will be interesting to see if Amazon's engineers can program a DVR using their fork of Android faster than Google can.

It does have some recorded program management listed in the FAQ, and will delete older recordings to record new programs. That's a missing feature in some OTA DVRs that simply stop recording when you run out of room.

But other than that, we don't know the capabilities of the DVR. Is "chase play" available? Is the guide 2 days (like the Android TV devices), 14 days like TiVo and the DVR+, or more?

For me, the problem is that it's a relatively closed system. You have to use a Fire TV television or Fire TV streaming device to see the recordings on any TV. They will have an app for android and iOS, but not the TV versions of those OS to integrate it with other streaming devices in the future. And viewing the recordings on a laptop or computer using a browser is out too. I think it's really intended for a home that is Alexa enabled with Echo devices and Fire TV devices.
post #21 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it's really intended for a home that is Alexa enabled with Echo devices and Fire TV devices.
I just got off a weekly techno prisoner chat for industry workers, and was full of twists & turns, swerves if you wil.

One idea is Amazon is using Recast to bring high end device users into the Amazon marketplace. Recast primarily needs a Fire TV for everything it does, How may 4KApple TV owners going to replace high end Apple TV's for Fire TV, then beginn purchases of Alexa security, microwaves etc. ? Will the family media/game room, replace Nvidia Shield TV gaming setups with an Amazon Fire TV?

Those were the directions we discussed in our weekly chat. What are your thoughts? How would it integrate with your setup. On average, how many recordings to you keep in the library? Have you had a device become unusable and needed to transfer recordings to the replacemen.

Things change quickly, what was "not currently supported", becomes should be included in next public update.
post #22 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Vue subscribers will have their live channels included in the Recast guide, not duplicated, (not sure what that meant). Recast does not stream recordings to PlayStation devices.
That's pretty much what I thought.
Quote:
When asked about the USB port, he was told that it was to supply power to Antenna's that needed power to operate.
Yeah, sure it is. I can't count the number of USB-powered antennas I've had to return because I didn't have any place to plug them in!

Realistically, they're doing the same thing AirTV did with the BB: planning ahead. It's likely they'll allow an external HDD to be attached at some point; if so, the box already has a port to connect it. If not, well, USB ports are pretty cheap nowadays. What's an extra 50 cents on a $229 box?
post #23 of 532 Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One idea is Amazon is using Recast to bring high end device users into the Amazon marketplace. Recast primarily needs a Fire TV for everything it does, How may 4KApple TV owners going to replace high end Apple TV's for Fire TV, then beginn purchases of Alexa security, microwaves etc. ? Will the family media/game room, replace Nvidia Shield TV gaming setups with an Amazon Fire TV?

Those were the directions we discussed in our weekly chat. What are your thoughts? How would it integrate with your setup.
I think if Amazon's intent was to use the Recast to get folks to switch from whatever they're using to Fire TV, then they would have chosen a much lower price point. At $119 it would look very attractive compared to the AirTV BB or Tablo, particularly with its built-in 500GB HDD. It might well be worth replacing a couple of Rokus or even a high-end Apple TV.

At $229, I think they're just trying to sell a product to make money. OTOH, they seem to have generated an amazing amount of buzz even at $229, so what do I know? The AirTV certainly has its flaws, as I've pointed out on that thread, but perhaps the biggest is simply that almost no one knows it exists, even among AVSForum members. E* has done a terrible job of marketing the things. But if there's one thing Amazon knows, it's marketing.

As for myself, I find the prospect of filling my home with microphones rather unsettling. Sure, it'd be cool to order my TVs around like Spock talking to the Enterprise computer on Star Trek, but you do know those mikes can record, and are all in Internet-connected devices, right? There's a potential for abuse that I'd rather avoid.
post #24 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 AM

Exclamation No falling for the suck into prime/alexa

Quote:
One idea is Amazon is using Recast to bring high end device users into the Amazon marketplace. Recast primarily needs a Fire TV for everything it does
How so???

The misinformation posted states their Fire application on Android. So if put that on my various Android boxes, and likely side load it via APK on the Android TV, what does it not do?

Quote:
, How may 4KApple TV owners going to replace high end Apple TV's for Fire TV, then beginn purchases of Alexa security, microwaves etc. ? Will the family media/game room, replace Nvidia Shield TV gaming setups with an Amazon Fire TV?
That scam ain't going to work on them any more than it is on me. amazn is not a primary shopping source so their $$$ prime is not viable. Even with what I've had to order from them this year for projects as no other source, would not cover the cost of that. And no their other features scam don't add value to that cost. I can watch Bosch for $0/year.

Quote:
Those were the directions we discussed in our weekly chat. What are your thoughts?
Mostly not postable on this site.

Quote:
How would it integrate with your setup.
If it requires fire devices to operate, then it DOES NOT INTEGRATE at all!

Android boxes and Sony Android TV.

Quote:
average, how many recordings to you keep in the library?
If its recorded, its kept. Period. 40TB and growing!

Quote:
Have you had a device become unusable and needed to transfer recordings to the replacemen.
Not relevant to my system/setup.

Quote:
Things change quickly, what was "not currently supported", becomes should be included in next public update.
[/quote]

They will need to change quickly to support external storage and non Fire devices for all functions.

post #25 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 05:31 AM

Exclamation Keyboards and other HID exist for a reason.

Quote:
The AirTV certainly has its flaws, as I've pointed out on that thread, but perhaps the biggest is simply that almost no one knows it exists, even among AVSForum members. E* has done a terrible job of marketing the things. But if there's one thing Amazon knows, it's marketing.
They are aiming it at the wrong crowd. I cut the cord, not shaved or trimmed it. No paid video.

I am not looking to duplicate getting what I got via DBS and changing who gets paid.

Quote:
As for myself, I find the prospect of filling my home with microphones rather unsettling.
This!

Quote:
Sure, it'd be cool to order my TVs around like Spock talking to the Enterprise computer on Star Trek,
Not for me, at least input wise. Keyboard, mouse, touch screen, please. Output, sure gab up a storm, in a nice synthesized GI SP256 voice. Think of Speak n Spell's... If you are too young for that.... Think Magel only more computery. Oh, you are probably too young for that too.

Quote:
but you do know those mikes can record, and are all in Internet-connected devices, right? There's a potential for abuse that I'd rather avoid.
Potential? That cat was out of the bag from the start.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...om-amazon-echo

post #26 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I cut the cord, not shaved or trimmed it. No paid video.
Hmm... "trimmed the cord...." I like that analogy.

I agree - the Recast (and AirTV) are aimed more at cord trimmers than at cord cutters, since they integrate with "skinny bundles" like PS Vue and Sling TV. (In contrast, Tablo is more of a cord cutter's DVR.) OTOH, a lot of streaming is free, and some of that free content is quite good, so even a true cord-cutter could use one of these boxes.

I'm assuming the Recast will be like AirTV in that you can use it either with or without a PS Vue subscription. If "with," you'll get an integrated "cable-style" guide showing both OTA and PS Vue channels; if "without," you'll just get an OTA guide, unless PS Vue adds some free content; otherwise you may have to use other, different apps for any free streaming content. I guess we won't know for sure until they actually start selling the things.
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, it'd be cool to order my TVs around like Spock talking to the Enterprise computer on Star Trek,
Not for me, at least input wise. Keyboard, mouse, touch screen, please.
Voice input is getting better, but it's still nowhere near as precise as a human ear & brain. For example, what if your GF's name is Alexis? I think Alexa might get a bit confused

Given our aversion to microphones, I think Rokus are more suited to us than Fire TVs. Since the Recast won't work with Rokus, it's out on that count alone (not to mention I already have the AirTV). But if you already have a Fire TV or two, prefer PS Vue to Sling, and don't mind waiting a month or two, the Recast is probably your better choice.
post #27 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think if Amazon's intent was to use the Recast to get folks to switch from whatever they're using to Fire TV, then they would have chosen a much lower price point. At $119 it would look very attractive compared to the AirTV BB or Tablo, particularly with its built-in 500GB HDD. It might well be worth replacing a couple of Rokus or even a high-end Apple TV.
The context might be important too; they announced the Recast along with a LOT of other products, including a wall clock and microwave oven, all built around their Amazon Alexa voice services. In the greater context, Amazon, Apple, and Google are all fighting for dominance in the "connected home", and television is one part of that.

If you are started down that path with Amazon and have an Echo or two, then the Recast is going to be the perfect OTA DVR. It fits into your connected home perfectly, along with the Amazon security system you'll get, the Amazon microwave, Amazon wall clock, Amazon whole-house speaker systems (including the new subwoofer they released), thermostats, Amazon Alexa receptacles for your lamps, etc. Then you will start seeing things like garage door openers ("Alexa, is the garage door open?" - "No, it is closed.") Any of these devices and services that you want to add can be added at any time, and they integrate quickly, finding the other Amazon devices on the network.

Most of it is not for me. But of the three multi-national mega corporations that are trying to rule the connected home, I prefer Amazon over Apple and Google, just because Amazon is at least a little bit smaller.
post #28 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Don't care, I don't talk to my computer. Its quite fine for it to talk to me, preferably in a GI SP0256 w/AL256 voice.

I read that, and that is where it would be located, possibly if they fix their misfit product.

See above, I have no intention of talking to my computers, now or anytime of the rest of my life. Thanks.
All your responses regarding voice control make zero sense. I was responding to your post that said the lack of a mic on the tuner itself "nailed the coffin shut". That means you WANT a mic. Now you're saying the opposite. I will never use voice control either and have the same privacy concerns and think pressing buttons is much more efficient. But you say the lack of a mic is a deal breaker in one post, then say you'll never, ever use it in the next. Make up your mind.

In any case, I don't think a product for your particular use case (no streaming, unlimited storage) would be more popular than the Recast. For most of us cord cutters, we want OTA and streaming. We just don't want cable/satellite TV bills. I also think very few of us save everything we've ever recorded forever. I record, watch, delete. I've never used more than 1TB for OTA even though I have far more available on my Tivo and had even more on my old WMC system. And I think very few cord cutters do zero streaming like you.

My Tivo is great, but it can't run OTT streaming apps. My Stream+ is ok but it can't do whole-home. Recast solves both of those problems. Since I already have a couple dozen streaming devices including several Fire TV sticks and boxes, Recast will be a perfect addition. I can also disconnect my Slingbox, which is a PITA. Overall, this has the potential to simplify my system a great deal - one Recast remotely located (not in my rack) and one Fire TV box versus several devices I have now - Tivo, Roku, Stream+ (Android TV) and Slingbox. Plus I can go from having a Roku or Firestick plus Mini in every room to just a Firestick.
HerbieHightower likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.
post #29 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Voice input is getting better, but it's still nowhere near as precise as a human ear & brain. For example, what if your GF's name is Alexis? I think Alexa might get a bit confused
You can change the wake word to "Amazon", "echo", or "computer". Or you could change girlfriends.

post #30 of 532 Old 09-22-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, even though I don't own one, I figured it would have an option like that. I was just being whimsical

BTW, "computer" is of course the most Trek-like. "Amazon" is probably the least likely to come up in another context, though (unless Alexis is an actual Amazon)

Oh, and I'm sure voice input will continue to improve. Now, if I can just make the wake word for my self-driving car "Kitt," I'll have it made. (Although it's too bad the actor who did Kitt's voice passed away several years ago....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page