Time to renew TiVo but I want ATSC 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Primestar31
  • 1 Post By videobruce
  • 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By arbegas

post #1 of 14 Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Time to renew TiVo but I want ATSC 3

I just got the notice that my annual fee for my 2012 era TiVo is coming due in March. I only use it with rabbit ears and want an ATSC 3 tuner with 4K support. To my knowledge there is no platform with this stuff right now but I don’t want to pay another year for EPG on this overpriced TiVo service if I can avoid it. All I really use it for is pause and rewind of live tv and maybe 24 hrs ahead looking at epg. I have Apple TV for the other stuff.

Is there any solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreer4 View Post
I just got the notice that my annual fee for my 2012 era TiVo is coming due in March. I only use it with rabbit ears and want an ATSC 3 tuner with 4K support. To my knowledge there is no platform with this stuff right now but I don’t want to pay another year for EPG on this overpriced TiVo service if I can avoid it. All I really use it for is pause and rewind of live tv and maybe 24 hrs ahead looking at epg. I have Apple TV for the other stuff.

Is there any solution?
There is NO solution as of yet, and there is NO consumer ATSC 3.0 broadcasting going on in the USA anyway. They haven't even decided what "our version" of ATSC 3.0 will be as of yet, that's why the testing. I seriously doubt there will be ATSC 3.0 tuners and broadcasts for the average person before early 2020 at a minimum. All broadcasters MUST agree to continue ATSC 1.0 broadcasts for 5 years AFTER they first light up an "official" ATSC 3.0 tower.

So, you are safe renewing your Tivo sub. Or buy a Tablo or some other OTA dvr that's cheaper than a Tivo. Personally, I love my Tivo Roamio with lifetime service.
mickinct likes this.

Last edited by Primestar31; 01-06-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 349
By the time (between the FCC & the NAB), they get done playing musical channels again, there won't be many left bothering with OTA, especially if it involves erecting a rooftop antenna.
This ATSC3 is a joke, Internet 'Streaming' is the post teenager, lazy way to watch TV. That is until the data caps are put into place thanks to de-regulation.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
By the time (between the FCC & the NAB), they get done playing musical channels again, there won't be many left bothering with OTA, especially if it involves erecting a rooftop antenna.
This ATSC3 is a joke, Internet 'Streaming' is the post teenager, lazy way to watch TV. That is until the data caps are put into place thanks to de-regulation.
WRAL in North Carolina has been broadcasting a ATSC 3 station since June of 2016.
https://www.wral.com/wral-to-begin-b...logy/15815109/
https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/capi...ision-station/

Looks like wide-spread US roll out will be in 2020.
https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/road...-2020-rollout/
post #5 of 14 Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 AM

I hope WRAL being in a mostly poorer state has provided all their viewers with devices that will receive that signal.

AFA "wide spread", seeing is believing.
DrDon likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #6 of 14 Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreer4 View Post

Is there any solution?
If all I were doing was what you're doing, I'd probably just pick up a $30 HomeWorX and a 128GB SanDisk Ultra thumb drive. That would get you by until TiVo introduces a model with an ATSC 3.0 tuner included.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 534
NOBODY is providing ATSC3.0 Tuners to Joe Public in USA until 2020.....only to selected TEST LOCATIONS, i.e. employees.
videobruce likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I hope WRAL being in a mostly poorer state has provided all their viewers with devices that will receive that signal.

AFA "wide spread", seeing is believing.
I am kind of reviving this thread out of the dead (a little bit)...lol. But I just thought I would post being from NC.

If you want to think really poor states, think of places like West Virginia or Mississippi.

But within the state of North Carolina, it really depends on what region you are referring to (as being poor). Generally speaking, the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is not considered a poor area at all. It has major universities in that area, along with the Research Triangle Park, state government jobs with the capitol in Raleigh, etc. etc. So to the contrary, that particular area is actually considered progressive, with many transplants that have moved to Raleigh particularly over the past couple of decades from the North. And a few hours away, Charlotte is now considered the baby Atlanta with a population explosion over the past 20 years....and perhaps now the largest metro area (Charlotte) in the southeast - outside of Atlanta. So these urban areas are not exactly small potatoes.

As for WRAL, they've been around since the 1950's. And in 1996, the FCC awarded them the first experimental high definition television license in the United States. They were also the first to broadcast live sports in high definition in 1997 and the first HD newscast in 2000. So their pioneering efforts in digital TV have won them plenty of recognition within the TV industry through the years as well. And they would certainly have viewers with money for devices to play around with new technology to include the experimental license with ATSC 3.0

So it's difficult to really generalize too much. Certainly there are poor areas too, particularly in rural parts of the state where there aren't good jobs. But this is not so different to rural America anywhere now days.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 AM

Ok, no where as poor as Louisiana with all of the pollution that makes Love Canal look like a "semiconductor clean room". .

My point was and is, as usual, the poor are the ones that will be forced to 'pay' the piper. The same ones that depend on OTA TV as their main source of entertainment and of news.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Frankly, AFAIC, I think this whole thing will blow up in the faces of the NAB. But, reading thru TV Technology (for the past 35+ years or so on and off) one would never know that since a very pretty picture is painted there.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Ok, no where as poor as Louisiana with all of the pollution that makes Love Canal look like a "semiconductor clean room". .

My point was and is, as usual, the poor are the ones that will be forced to 'pay' the piper. The same ones that depend on OTA TV as their main source of entertainment and of news.
I've done a lot of traveling through the years (many states), but I've never been to Louisiana. But, in my mind, I don't have a pretty picture when I think about all those flood prone areas down there (at or below sea level)!

As for ATSC 3.0, we know it's strictly voluntary so time will tell how many broadcasters choose to jump on board with it. Even if they do, my understanding is that any such station will be required to continue their broadcast of ATSC 1.0 for another 5 years (whether that is through channel sharing or by whatever means). Personally, I see it as a double edged sword. On the one hand, ATSC 3.0 *appears* to hold greater promise for OTA for its ability to penetrate buildings and other obstructions....thereby more effectively reaching OTA viewers along with other features to include web integration of certain features on air. So I see these things as positives. The negative side (in my view) would be more targeted advertising to individual viewers (i.e. perhaps as you may see on your personal PC).

But I feel strongly about one thing. And that is that broadcasters need to continue to think about ways to remain relevant in today's digital world as well as creating greater public awareness of how they serve their local communities. Especially given the recent spectrum auction, we can't just take local broadcasting and the remaining TV spectrum for granted. I don't ever want to even think about a future time where cable and satellite companies gain complete access over the delivery of local networks...lol

In that hypothetical scenario, I would imagine that everyone (including the very poor) would *indeed* start paying big time for television.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked: 5019
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbegas View Post
Did you try to order one? Might want to have a look at this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post58194934

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Did you try to order one? Might want to have a look at this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post58194934

true , i wait for them bring dual atsc android box and guess what never happen.
DrDon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page