Any experiences with Uverse DVRs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Any experiences with Uverse DVRs?

Are you guys using the Uverse HD DRV with the service?

I'm contemplating switching from Comcast to Uverse but that would mean not being able to use Tivo.

The Uverse packages mention something about their HD DVR but the features and capabilities apparently vary depending on which model and which package you get.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/att-u-v...me-dvr-review/

Main thing I see that I would lose is the ability to stream or download shows out of the home with a mobile app. That's assuming I can get the model which can record 6 shows simultaneously. I'm also not sure about how it handles viewing recordings in a second room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Are you guys using the Uverse HD DRV with the service?

I'm contemplating switching from Comcast to Uverse but that would mean not being able to use Tivo.

The Uverse packages mention something about their HD DVR but the features and capabilities apparently vary depending on which model and which package you get.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/att-u-v...me-dvr-review/

Main thing I see that I would lose is the ability to stream or download shows out of the home with a mobile app. That's assuming I can get the model which can record 6 shows simultaneously. I'm also not sure about how it handles viewing recordings in a second room.
Can't help, but curious myself.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I signed up so I think it's got 1 TB of space.

Definitely way inferior to the Tivo, though the remotes are lit so that's kind of nice.

But no streaming of any kind like the Tivos, no commercial skip. It has 30-second skip but you can't queue up a bunch so that you can easily skip most or all of a commercial break like you can on Tivo. For instance, hit the skip button 6 times and you rapidly go to 3 minutes ahead. With these Uverse DVRs, if you hit the skip button multiple times after each other, it doesn't queue these presses but rather executes them so you are skipping only like 35 seconds ahead rather than 3 minutes.

PQ and SQ are about a wash.

The app. has some good aspects. I use it mostly to favorite channels and set up season passes. Doing these operations with the remote is unusable. DVR would be horrific without the UVerse app.

That app. can't download or stream from the the DVR. It can't download but it can stream, though I wonder what's going to happen when I try to use it from overseas. I think I had to enable location services in order to be able to stream. I don't know if spoofing IPs, like with a VPN, would work.

Anyways, I'm saving money over Comcast, both what it was charging me and what it was going to charge me because I was out of contract. After my year is up, I will see if Comcast offers a better deal.

If not, I may just cut the cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Quote:
Well I signed up so I think it's got 1 TB of space . . .
Anyways, I'm saving money over Comcast, both what it was charging me and what it was going to charge me because I was out of contract. After my year is up, I will see if Comcast offers a better deal.
Just a word of warning, if you put your TiVo on the shelf for a year, it may not work when you hook it up again.

TiVo's call home regularly and make frequent contact with the mother-ship. If your TiVo is out of touch for a certain amount of time
they assume it is defunct and deactivate it from your account. You could lose your lifetime subscription. I don't know if keeping it plugged in and connected to the Internet is sufficient to keep it alive if it is not also connected to a TV service (cable or OTA).

You should give them a call and ask for clarification.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I didn't know they would do that. I will check.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know they would do that. I will check.

Thanks for your post, I’m actually amazed that the PQ and SQ are about a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Thanks for your post, I’m actually amazed that the PQ and SQ are about a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that for HBO and Showtime, you're better off using the Uverse login to use the HBO Go and Showtime Anytime apps if you have a good streaming box like Apple TV.

At least with the 4th gen Apple TV that I have (not the 4K), picture on HBO Go and Showtime Anytime is sharper.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... you're better off using the Uverse login to use the HBO Go and Showtime Anytime apps ...
Thanks WCO, let me make sure I follow. Are you saying the picture is sharper if you access those services through their respective HBO and Showtime apps on Roku, or that HBO and SHO are sharper if you access them another way?

I'm not 100% sure exactly which two ways of watching HBO (for example) that your are comparing. Thanks again. 👍

post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know about Roku but they're sharper on Apple TV when I use the apps on it.

I think they use enough bandwidth plus they use Dolby Digital Plus instead of regular Dolby Digital through Uverse IPTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page