Is there a way to record tv through the roku or on pc? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is there a way to record tv through the roku or on pc?

Through the roku or on pc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post

There are quite a few ways to record live TV. You could get a standalone DVR like the Tivo Roamio or Tivo Bolt. You could get an HDHomeRun. There's also the Tablo, the Fire TV Recast, etc. You have to figure out if you are trying to record channels broadcast over the air with an antenna or if you are trying to record cable TV, as you will need to ensure the device/option you choose is compatible. For myself, I have a 12TB NAS drive setup, I have Plex with Lifetime subscription and I have an HDHomeRun hooked up to an outdoor antenna and connected to my wired network at home. I then can use the Roku Media player to watch live TV channels or I can watch live TV on the Nvidia Shield, and I can schedule shows to record in Plex and watch them later. I even have the option to remove commercials from shows recorded within Plex before watching them later.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Uh, the answer is "yes/maybe yes" depending on what you want to do. In many cases, it is illegal.

If you are talking about broadcast TV (TV you receive using an antenna transmitting the signal from a local TV station), you can buy cheap (or not so cheap) devices that "record TV", and you can also buy USB dongles and software that allows you to do the same thing on a PC. Microsoft for years included something called "Windows Media Center" that included that capability. That software is now not offered or included offered in Windows any more, but I still use it "unofficially" on a regular basis, along with other recording devices. In the future, you may not be able to even record broadcast TV legally, and you probably will not find a device that will allow you to break the law.

That's broadcast TV. In theory, you used to be able to record cable TV, but most cable providers started scrambling even their so-called "clear" (basic cable) channels years ago, so your only reliable bet is to use the DVR provided in your cable box.

If you're talking about recording a video stream from a Roku or other similar streaming device, you are not allowed to do that, in general and specifically. There are numerous digital rights management protections in those devices that make it difficult to record video even if you crack the box open and have deep technical understanding of how to defeat the security provisions (though I know how to do it). Apparently Roku TCL TVs allow you to "chase play" recording of TV shows, but that's more of an ability to pause live TV than a useful recording. In the US, copyright laws have a overall chilling effect on offering an actual TV recording device.

So if you want to "record TV" in 2019, in most cases you need to get an antenna, and a recording device/software (Windows Media Center, iView, TIVO (they still around?), ChannelMaster DVR, etc.). Suffice it to say, you will find nothing on the US market for this purpose from Samsung, Sony, et. al. Some streaming devices DO allow you to "record" to their "cloud", but I'm not sure what the point of that is, it's just a big online cable DVR and about equally useless to me. I have recorded TV for about 15 years now, and edit the recorded files/change formats for use in my "media center" (whichever "media center" software I use), allowing me quick access to hundreds of movies, TV shows, live music concerts using my remote from my recliner whenever I want to watch something. To me, THAT'S "recording TV", but generally, the copyright holders are not entirely thrilled with that activity.

--
max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 404
You can get a program called PlayOn and use it to record Netflix or any other streaming source on your PC. You have to subscribe to the streaming service in order to record any shows. The downside is that it only records in stereo and the files may be lower in resolution to the source program material. There are other ways to record in 1080p, but again the soundtracks are only in stereo. I've been trying to figure out a way to record streamed material with 5.1 audio but so far I haven't found out how to do it.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I think I found a way to record the roku with a dvd recorder but not at high def. ill keep you all updated.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I think I found a way to record the roku with a dvd recorder. Ill keep you all updated.
A DVDR will be SD(480i) as well as stereo audio. If your OK with that, and your material isn't CP'd, a DVDR will work just fine.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Someday, when we ditch Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
A DVDR will be SD(480i) as well as stereo audio. If your OK with that, and your material isn't CP'd, a DVDR will work just fine.
Since I'm old enough to remember analog black-and-white TV with rabbit ears, SD and stereo is fine with me.
Eventually I will run my Roku HDMI thru a splitter with HDMI going to my TV and red/white/yellow going to my DVD recorder. I am currently running Sling Orange (but may change back to Blue). I won't record on-demand shows, but may record live programming.

Indirectly Outta Compton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page