New SiliconDust HDHR All-in-One DVRs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
New SiliconDust HDHR All-in-One DVRs

Just saw the announcement from SD about their latest units available for pre-order. There may have already been a post about these when they were showed at the last CES so consider this an update. They have the HDHR Scribe Duo for $199.099 and the Scribe Quatro for $249.99, each with 1TB of capacity. The Duo is a Best Buy exclusive and can only be purchased through them. They also offer a 2TB storage add-on for $149.99. These are all OTA products. More info can be found here:

https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/pr...gory/hardware/

I'm not sure what's happening with their Premium TV service, but the last I heard was that they had to shut it down because of an injunction filed against them. I don't know the details or what the current status is, but SD contends that they jumped through all the proper hoops to get the content from the providers so we'll just have to wait until the dust settles to see what's what.

Considering that you can already use a HDHR OTA tuner with any PC, these are clearly aimed at customers that want a plug and play appliance and not a HTPC. The website says the units will be available for shipping by June 30th, but knowing SD that probably means we'll see them six months from now if we're lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I like it, not for me but nice to see them put out a standalone box. Now if they could just release that six tuner Prime they have been promising...
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm not sure what's happening with their Premium TV service, but the last I heard was that they had to shut it down because of an injunction filed against them. I don't know the details or what the current status is, but SD contends that they jumped through all the proper hoops to get the content from the providers so we'll just have to wait until the dust settles to see what's what.
I’m pretty sure they were using Omniverse as the upstream provider, and it sounds like Omniverse is done for all practical purposes, for now at least. See the most recent posts here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post58150102 for more details.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I like it, not for me but nice to see them put out a standalone box. Now if they could just release that six tuner Prime they have been promising...
Yeah, me too. I’m not using cable for TV service at the moment, but I used a pair of 3-tuner Primes for about 6 years. The only thing keeping me from selling them on eBay is uncertainty whether I could replace them later on if we ever chose to go back to cable (assuming I could stomach a cable TV contract again).

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
It's good to see SD get into more direct competition with AirTV, Amazon, and Tablo. A few minor downsides to note:

1. Unlike the AirTV BB or Amazon Recast, the Scribe's DVR service isn't free. It's inexpensive, though: it's the same $35/year as needed for their DVR service through a PC - and the first year is included in the box purchase price.
  2. As with other HDHRs and Amazon's Recast, the Scribe doesn't seem to support Rokus.
  3. $149 is way too much for 2TB more storage. I wonder if you can substitute your own HDD, or if SD has the Scribes "locked down" somehow so that only their own HDD will work with them.

Other than those worries, though, I like these new Scribe DVRs.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Q Q: Will these new Scribe models transcode? I've read that there's a new beta Roku app for HDHRs, but I assume it only works on HDHR models that transcode, since Rokus don't support the MPEG-2 codec used by OTA TV. That would address my #2 concern above.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Q Q: Will these new Scribe models transcode? I've read that there's a new beta Roku app for HDHRs, but I assume it only works on HDHR models that transcode, since Rokus don't support the MPEG-2 codec used by OTA TV. That would address my #2 concern above.

The Roku HD Homerun beta app is pretty rough; it only streams live OTA TV, and can't control any pause, record, or playback functions. LonTV did a review of it:

post #8 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, so if I understood the video correctly, the change is with the newer Rokus. The video didn't mention it, but the last MPEG-2 patents finally ran out last year. The video did say it worked with all currently shipping Rokus, so presumably those all support MPEG-2 now. Thus you don't need an HDHR that transcodes to use the new app.

It loaded onto my Roku just fine, and it did download my channel list from my HDHR, but nothing seems to play. I suspect my Roku and/or HDHRs are too old to work with it.

BTW, the app's interface reminds me somewhat of the original Sling TV app, with a row of channels and another row showing the current and upcoming programs on the channel currently selected. (Of course Sling TV is a streaming service, so on most channels you could scroll backward in the list of programs and watch a program that had already aired. That obviously isn't possible with OTA TV.)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Sounds like if you buy the quad (great deal at bb today), and $35/yr DVR subscription, you get Tablo like experience. 14 day guide. I have Tablo dual, but this looks like a bargain! I have very recent Roku Ultras, I would expect it to work with it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/silicondust-hdhomerun-connect-quatro-tuner-free-live-ota-tv-black/6079602.p?skuId=6079602
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page